Options

Secretly Recorded Phone Call Offers Window Into How Live Nation Helped Metallica and Other Artists

cutzcutz Posts: 11,425

Secretly Recorded Phone Call Offers Window Into How Live Nation Helped Metallica and Other Artists Place Tickets Directly On Resale Market

Comments

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,483
    cutz said:

Secretly Recorded Phone Call Offers Window Into How Live Nation Helped Metallica and Other Artists Place Tickets Directly On Resale Market

off topic but are you a Stern fan?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    The thing is, we all knew they were doing that.   Its some evidence, but it doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. 

The part I found fascinating was the comment that ticketmaster wouldn't do it.  TM takes the brunt of the punishment, but they aren't the promoter. 

Realistically though, it all comes down to the bands not charging market value on their tickets.   Whenever they don't charge enough they make a big enough opportunity that all sorts of players try to cash in on it. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425
    And people here want to complain about a holiday single.  Thank goodness Pearl Jam puts the best tickets in the hands of the fan club instead of nonsense like this. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    And people here want to complain about a holiday single.  Thank goodness Pearl Jam puts the best tickets in the hands of the fan club instead of nonsense like this. 
    Funny enough Metallica does that too.   They used to have a paid fan club, which they converted to a free fan club which is pretty much the same as the digital membership through the 10c.  I've always found it easy to get GA Floor tickets for metallica shows.  I guess who this hurts are the fly by night metallica fans who never bothered to join the fan club (which is free).. lol
  • Options
    Zod said:
    on2legs said:
    Funny enough Metallica does that too.   They used to have a paid fan club, which they converted to a free fan club which is pretty much the same as the digital membership through the 10c.  I've always found it easy to get GA Floor tickets for metallica shows.  I guess who this hurts are the fly by night metallica fans who never bothered to join the fan club (which is free).. lol
    Do people follow Metallica on tour for multiple shows?  Maybe that’s why it’s easier to get tickets...
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:
    on2legs said:
    Do people follow Metallica on tour for multiple shows?  Maybe that’s why it’s easier to get tickets...
    At least one person is interested in all the shows 

• Options
    Imagine if Pearl Jam offered a black ticket?  That’s a cool idea. 

• Options
    edited July 2019
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:
    on2legs said:
    Every band has it devotees.  I'm not sure if Metallica attracts the same amount as PJ, but every band has them :)  I will say MetClub has always been great.  Even before it went from paid/analog to free/digital it was pretty amazing.

If they have less fans that do it, than it's even more impressive that they sell out so many shows.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Zod said:
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:
    on2legs said:
    Every band has it devotees.  I'm not sure if Metallica attracts the same amount as PJ, but every band has them :)  I will say MetClub has always been great.  Even before it went from paid/analog to free/digital it was pretty amazing.

If they have less fans that do it, than it's even more impressive that they sell out so many shows.
    I'm a Metallica Legacy Member (more perks than 5th member,  paid for it for years before they changed it, still think it should be a paid membership...)
    Anyways, yes there are devotees that attend several shows despite the setlist's barely changing.  The fans got as equally enthusiastic when it was a closed paid club over limited items, often buying things to trade bate.  There seem to be bigger fans in Europe that go to many shows, you can see the frequency they tour Europe vs the US. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    It is a cool idea. Selling more than a couple probably isn't practical, but I'll bet people here would eat it up. This is assuming a larger scale tour, of course.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:
    It is a cool idea. Selling more than a couple probably isn't practical, but I'll bet people here would eat it up. This is assuming a larger scale tour, of course.
    100% 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996
    What's a Metallica?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:
    except people here would bitch because "what do you mean i can't transfer it to someone else?"

I hope all this doesn't lead to places like stub hub going away.  fact is that it is easier today to get a ticket to any event you like if you are willing to pay the market price.  personally i think that is a good thing for the consumer. i get why maybe not as much for the bands though.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,970
    What's a Metallica?
    A band who once released an overrated album called "Master of Puppets" :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 715
    on2legs said:
    Seriously. Always have been a band for the fans, regardless of the changes.
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 715
    What's a Metallica?
    lol
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:
    except people here would bitch because "what do you mean i can't transfer it to someone else?"

I hope all this doesn't lead to places like stub hub going away.  fact is that it is easier today to get a ticket to any event you like if you are willing to pay the market price.  personally i think that is a good thing for the consumer. i get why maybe not as much for the bands though.
    StubHub or something similar will always exist since it makes reselling so easy. Even if you take scalping out of the equation, plans change, friends back out, you bought too many, etc. 

The initial onsale is definitely shifting. Bands are using more sophisticated ways of pricing tickets...VIP packages, platinum seats, etc. Nick Mason had dynamic pricing for certain seats on his US tour. The prices would move up and down based on demand, supposedly. Not sure how linear it actually is, but it was wild to watch in real time.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    What's a Metallica?
    It's like a Melania only louder
  • Options
    We used dynamic pricing and bundling in the NHL too. Especially for huge matchups and the playoffs.