Should Pearl Jam add a boardgame to the shop?

Socks. Zippos. Dog collars. Condoms. Sheep dolls. Laptop bags.

Should Pearl Jam add a boardgame to the shop?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Should Pearl Jam add a boardgame to the shop? 32 votes

Yes. Something to play while queuing up
53%
cincybearcatlastexitlondondannyfoodboyPeasant Tentslejarmap138BrainofBGAP34RL J4MM3RHesCalledDyerTheBeardedFellowbrewdog123D-Rodthevachondrakeheuer14RE658041hadrieliajimjam1982 17 votes
No. I have a hard enough time already understanding the Monopoly rules
46%
austinevolution10ryph raphiOnlyownMymindpearljammr78ManUnitedewok pantsAbe FromanBLACK35mayerdtempo_n_groovePJ_SoulrummyskinnyportageeJojoRicejacquelynca 15 votes

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    The condom was unofficial.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    If it's Jamopoly, I'll buy it.  Monopoly is my favorite board game of all time so you're damn straight I'd buy a copy.  If it's another game, probably not.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I wouldn't mind if I got a PJ-themed Monopoly set as a gift, but really I feel no need for this... It's just too cheezy or kitchy or whatever. I don't really like for my favorite rock bands to do stuff like that. There is something "sell-outy" about it. The less merch the better IMHO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    If it's Jamopoly, I'll buy it.  Monopoly is my favorite board game of all time so you're damn straight I'd buy a copy.  If it's another game, probably not.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't mind if I got a PJ-themed Monopoly set as a gift, but really I feel no need for this... It's just too cheezy or kitchy or whatever. I don't really like for my favorite rock bands to do stuff like that. There is something "sell-outy" about it. The less merch the better IMHO.
    Nothing screams sell-out like a themed monopoly and those funko pop figures.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Board games are just boxes that collect dust on the top shelf of my closet.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    JimmyV said:
    That’s cause you have to have friends to play them. 

Just kidding of course 
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited July 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    You mean like these guys:
    ;)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Absolutely. Need a new monopoly game.  My kids and I still playing the Yankees one that includes  Mattingly and Guidry as coaches (which I guess is better than having one that includes them as players). 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    "Puzzles & Games"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    JimmyV said:
    That’s cause you have to have friends to play them. 

Just kidding of course 
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,696
    PJ_Soul said:
    ;)
    Great job
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    The condom was unofficial.
    Who uses condoms anymore. I guess you can fill them with some homemade Pearl Jam. 💦💦
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    Monopoly has rules? I thought everyone just made up their own ways to play. I would like some Funko POP editions of the band though. I have my 3 Guns N Roses members and Kurt Cobain. Bring on my Boom POP. 
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    More like a "bored" game...

• fgalpernfgalpern Posts: 208
    A few years ago I designed a setlist based card game, meant to be played during pre-concert hangs. The core design seemed good but when it came time to playtest we were inbetween tours and I lost interest. I make video games for a living, and have been involved with some board game designs over the years, so know the requirements pretty well. If there's interest, I might resurrect it.
    10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 40 shows and counting...
  • jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Not interested in a board game...BUT some tarot cards with those pix would excite me.
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
    Why would someone put tacks through that poster? 
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    fgalpern said:
    A few years ago I designed a setlist based card game, meant to be played during pre-concert hangs. The core design seemed good but when it came time to playtest we were inbetween tours and I lost interest. I make video games for a living, and have been involved with some board game designs over the years, so know the requirements pretty well. If there's interest, I might resurrect it.
    Interesting 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    PJ_Soul said:
    ;)
    Yes. This was on my mind when posting. With KISS just having released their ALIVE-series of Funko Pops.
    fgalpern said:
    Please elaborate! Interesting!
    Kissopoly actually looks pretty sick!
    Kissopoly actually looks pretty sick!
    We can play it on Pearl Jams Japan tour in 2020.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    Also waiting on the official Pearl Jam coffins
  • fgalpernfgalpern Posts: 208
    Since a couple of you asked for more info, here's the first pass design doc on the card game, tentatively titled "Wishlist" (yes, I know might be confusing with the terrific fan pre-party organization). The design is rough, incomplete and probably confusing, but hey that's what you get with incomplete projects. Design inspiration came from deck-building games like Ascension, Dominion and others. Looks like I started designing this back in 2013, crazy. Anyway, hope it's interesting to at least some of you, feel free to share feedback and again, if there's enough interest, I may resurrect it.

The goal of Wishlist, the concert setlist card game, is to build the ultimate Pearl Jam concert setlist. The winner has the highest score at the end of the game. 

The game consists of a song deck containing 157 song cards. Every song from Ten to Lightning Bolt is included. Each song card contains a card value, three bonus icons and descriptive text. *Live songs, covers, b-sides and more may be added in expansion decks.

Setup

Shuffle the entire song deck, then deal 5 cards to each player.

Phase 0 - Opener

This is a special phase played immediately following Setup and before Phase 1.

Each player may play one opener card. If multiple opener cards are played, the card with the highest value becomes the opener and other cards are discarded. If no opener cards are played player with lowest Ten Club number goes first, then move onto Phase 1. Jump to Phase 3, scoring this Opener Phase and then play continues clockwise starting with Phase 1. Note: the opener slot is still available and may be filled by any song card played later in the game.

Phase 1 - Draw

The current player draws one card from the song deck. They then discard their hand down to 5 song cards. Discarded cards go into a shared discard pile.

Phase 2 - Write

The current player adds one song to the setlist or plays no cards.

Phase 3 - Score

The current player scores* the cards played along with any bonuses from adjacent cards. Other plays then also add bonuses they receive from this round. Play then passes clockwise to the next player. *not sure how to handle scorekeeping. using point cards like star realms is efficient for portability but not great during gameplay. chips may get lost. paper is annoying. card sized plastic spinner would be interesting (vinyl record theme).

End Phase - Closer

This phase begins once 30 song cards have been played. The player who places song 30 completes their Score phase, followed by each player with a turn remaining in the current round. Then, each player may place a single closer song. If multiple closer cards are played, the card with the highest value becomes the closer and other cards are discarded. Score this phase and the player with the highest score wins the game!

Ideas

Main Deck - songs played in the early days and Ten tours

Guests & Covers deck - guest performers and cover songs

Era Expansions - one expansion for each of the band’s eras (may consolidate)

Killed (everything below is not in the current design)

Each player selects a card from the band deck. Each band member has special abilities. 

(6 players, maybe more if we add other drummers)

Special Abilities (all are single use)

Eddie - may add or remove one song, at any time

Mike - may add a song with a notable solo to any other song without a notable solo

Stone - may veto any song

Jeff - may add any song he wrote

Matt - may add any Matt era song to any other Matt era song

Boom - may add any keyboard song to any other keyboard song

Phase 1 - INFLUENCE

INFLUENCE is a global effect, effecting all players. INFLUENCE cards display an Influence Value. The card text describes the necessary conditions for earning the value, along with any bonuses.

Example Influence card - Seattle (location influence) - Value = 3. Card text = earn 1 point for each song from Ten, each Seattle guest performer and each Ten era b-side or Xmas single. Maximum earned = 3 points

Since there is no INFLUENCE in effect at the start of the game the first player may either play an influence card or skip ahead to SONG SELECTION.

10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 40 shows and counting...
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    How about a RISK board game. Those games can go on forever. Might be a good one to pass the time while we wait for a new album.
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887

This game is simply called "Ed"

collect up all he baseball cards that have been released

shuffle them

lay the deck face down on the table

begin by turning the 1st card face up

for every "Ed" card that comes up

do a shot of alcohol or a hit off the bong

if the upturned card is Mike "levitating"

do 2 shots or bong hits

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited July 2019
    Guess Who? Add crew. Don't forget the ginger elf! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1