Barstool Sports

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
Anyone follow this?  I came across the pizza reviews and got hooked.  I saw Portnoy a few months back and thought he seemed like a douche but I think I like him now.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2019
    If misogyny, homophobia and racism (barely) disguised as jokes are your thing, it’s great. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    dankind said:
    If misogyny, homophobia and racism (barely) disguised as jokes are your thing, it’s great. 
    Always felt like the racism claim was a stretch, as I’ve yet to see any examples. I’m no fan of the site, I think most, if not all of them are dbags, but I’ve yet to see anyone present evidence of the racism. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Saw a Real Sports segment on them

nothing new

its amazing these days, just be a vulgar prick you can be president or a millionaire like Portnoy

• mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    CROJAM95 said:
    Saw a Real Sports segment on them

nothing new

its amazing these days, just be a vulgar prick you can be president or a millionaire like Portnoy

It’s comforting for people to think becoming a millionaire is that easy. 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I used to flip back and forth between Barstool and Deadspin for some humor takes on sports.  Barstool is heavily influenced by east coast attitude and frat boy humor and are huge (HUGE) homers for the Pats and Celtics.  Deadspin used to have humor but ever since The Hulkster pile-drived Gawker into the mat their mission seems to be focused on taking things we enjoy in sports and finding anger and outrage in them.  As result Deadspin is obsessed with taking down Barstool as they find their ability to find humor and joy in sports infuriating.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited July 2019
    dankind said:
    Horrible platform and equally annoying employees. Top that with the clickbait and it may be one of the worst things on the internet 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited July 2019
    Barstool fucking sucks. I hope portney falls on his face and knocks his teeth out. There is nothing redeeming about it and it is a bunch of turds who think they are a lot cooler than they are.

Deadspin is worthless these days. I was in on deadspin from the beginning but it hasn’t been a go to for a while. Drew magary’s stuff is still worthwhile. This did just bring me back and it looks like aj daulerio is writing again, so that’s awesome
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Bunch of douchers. Any site can post a funny video that they had no involvement in so sometimes I'll watch one through them but I try not to. Their core is rotten.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    People need to stop giving their damn videos to them and make them pay for them.  Sure, you want the funny thing I caught on video to repost on your page?  It's gonna take more than just crediting me in the caption.  You can have it, for a cool $10,000. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    dankind said:
    That was what I had originally heard about Barstool but I haven't seen it yet.  I mostly watch pizza reviews though :)

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMwism07PGA

These are fun to binge watch....there is a ton of them

• VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    I thought this article was interesting: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/female-ceo-polarizing-sports-media-giant-barstool-sports/story?id=55919642

My brother got me into Barstool.  To me it's like a sports version of Maxim, which is mostly annoying, but I do tend to laugh from time to time.  They have some talented people, but a lot of the writing sucks in my opinion. 

Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    I thought this article was interesting: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/female-ceo-polarizing-sports-media-giant-barstool-sports/story?id=55919642

My brother got me into Barstool.  To me it's like a sports version of Maxim, which is mostly annoying, but I do tend to laugh from time to time.  They have some talented people, but a lot of the writing sucks in my opinion. 

Maxim, lol.

I loved that magazine.

Maxim was a "guy's" mag so if barstool is like that then it might be fun to get into.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    While Portnoy is a complete d-bag, there are some funny people that work there.  But since a lot of their fanbase are high school/college kids who act like complete assholes on twitter, instagram, etc.. they get painted with a broad brush that everyone associated with them is a homophobic, misogynist racist bro.  While there unfortunately is some of that, there's a lot of normal, funny stuff.  Pardon My Take is the funniest sports podcast out there and Spittin' Chiclets is a great hockey podcast....I listen to both of those regularly.  But since it's the internet outrage era, if you tell someone you enjoy anything associated with Barstool you're automatically some meathead bro who hates women.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    While Portnoy is a complete d-bag, there are some funny people that work there.  But since a lot of their fanbase are high school/college kids who act like complete assholes on twitter, instagram, etc.. they get painted with a broad brush that everyone associated with them is a homophobic, misogynist racist bro.  While there unfortunately is some of that, there's a lot of normal, funny stuff.  Pardon My Take is the funniest sports podcast out there and Spittin' Chiclets is a great hockey podcast....I listen to both of those regularly.  But since it's the internet outrage era, if you tell someone you enjoy anything associated with Barstool you're automatically some meathead bro who hates women.
    This is about what it all boils down to.  Yeah, I've seen in the comments sections of some of their posts that their followers do contain a high volume of d-bags and maga hats, but I'm not there for them.  I'm there for the content and some of it is pretty damn good.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    Spittin' Chiclets is awesome. That's what got me to start paying attention to Barstool.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    I like PMT, and Chiclets isn’t bad, (except the accents are painful). The John Scott SC interview was awesome, and totally changed my opinion of him. 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    The only thing I watched was the pizza review.  Still do from time to time but it's pretty much the same thing.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Just saw the hbo real sports story on barstool. Portmoy is a giant douche that could use a beatdown
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Contact bar stool sports are the most entertaining

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    brianlux said:
    Contact bar stool sports are the most entertaining

Ha!  Trainspotting!!!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Distilled toxic masculinity.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Jason P said:
    I used to flip back and forth between Barstool and Deadspin for some humor takes on sports.  Barstool is heavily influenced by east coast attitude and frat boy humor and are huge (HUGE) homers for the Pats and Celtics.  Deadspin used to have humor but ever since The Hulkster pile-drived Gawker into the mat their mission seems to be focused on taking things we enjoy in sports and finding anger and outrage in them.  As result Deadspin is obsessed with taking down Barstool as they find their ability to find humor and joy in sports infuriating.
    I'll give Barstool one thing: at least they know they're douchebags acting like douchebags and they don't hide from it. Deadspin fancies themselves as journalists….which is fucking hilarious. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Like I said, haven’t been a deadspin guy in a while but RIP. End of an era. Spent a shit load of time on that site over the past 15 years 
    Like I said, haven’t been a deadspin guy in a while but RIP. End of an era. Spent a shit load of time on that site over the past 15 years 

Yeah I enjoyed it at times back in the day but didn't care much for what it had become.  The self-importance of the writers there was just off the charts.  They get a direct order from their bosses and straight up don't follow it.  Then they get fired or quit and we're supposed to feel bad for them???  Give me a fucking break.  What a bunch of entitled clowns...we're talking about the website that is most well-known for exposing Brett Favre's dick pics.  I get plenty of directions/orders from my bosses that I don't care for but you know what I do?  I do it because I like a steady paycheck.
  • Drew Magary just quit Deadspin. So the site is officially dead now. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Yeah I enjoyed it at times back in the day but didn't care much for what it had become.  The self-importance of the writers there was just off the charts.  They get a direct order from their bosses and straight up don't follow it.  Then they get fired or quit and we're supposed to feel bad for them???  Give me a fucking break.  What a bunch of entitled clowns...we're talking about the website that is most well-known for exposing Brett Favre's dick pics.  I get plenty of directions/orders from my bosses that I don't care for but you know what I do?  I do it because I like a steady paycheck.
    I don't hate the fact they kept scumbags on their toes, which is why I don't get that worked up about their self-importance stuff.  They definitely take themselves too seriously, but I do think there is a place for that.  If you're going to send unsolicited dick pics, good for them for calling you out on it.  I am fine with the mass exodus too. I think if journalists, which is what they consider themselves and did have some pretty solid resumes on staff, don't agree with editorial direction from their bosses, then they should quit. I like it.

The Te'o girlfriend story has to be their biggest one, right?

The Leitch, Daluerio, Craggs days were the best. 

I don't hate the fact they kept scumbags on their toes, which is why I don't get that worked up about their self-importance stuff.  They definitely take themselves too seriously, but I do think there is a place for that.  If you're going to send unsolicited dick pics, good for them for calling you out on it.  I am fine with the mass exodus too. I think if journalists, which is what they consider themselves and did have some pretty solid resumes on staff, don't agree with editorial direction from their bosses, then they should quit. I like it.

Oh yeah good for them if they quit because they don't agree with the direction of the company.  I'm just not going to feel bad for them.  And the self-important high and mighty bullshit always rubbed me the wrong way.  Especially all of their constant hit pieces on Barstool when a lot of their own writers had plenty of skeletons in their closet and said plenty of horrible shit on the internet over the years.  Hypocrisy to the highest order.

Oh yeah that Te'o stuff was crazy.  I think that's when I first learned about the term catfish.  It's too bad that's the only thing people will think about whenever they hear his name.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

Deadspin was great back then, but it is nothing like that now. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

Oh yeah good for them if they quit because they don't agree with the direction of the company.  I'm just not going to feel bad for them.  And the self-important high and mighty bullshit always rubbed me the wrong way.  Especially all of their constant hit pieces on Barstool when a lot of their own writers had plenty of skeletons in their closet and said plenty of horrible shit on the internet over the years.  Hypocrisy to the highest order.

Oh yeah that Te'o stuff was crazy.  I think that's when I first learned about the term catfish.  It's too bad that's the only thing people will think about whenever they hear his name.
    Oh no. I don't feel bad for them but respect the decision.  It sucks the company is going that way, but whatever.  I was mostly out before the Barstool war started, so I never paid much attention. I don't really pay any attention to either of them these days. Fair enough

Yeah, that was wild. I remember that afternoon pretty clearly.  The response to Trump congratulating them was the best.