Options

Massachusetts v Michelle Carter

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/i-love-you-now-die-the-commonwealth-v-michelle-carter

Did anyone watch part 1 last night?  Part 2 (the defense) is tonight.

Really interesting and horribly sad.
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I did not watch the doc, but I followed the case closely. Hopefully, the Supreme Court tells her to go pound sand. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited July 2019
    I did not see this nor was aware of it. 

I am partial to non-fiction documentaries so I'll be looking for this. I'll be prepared to be sad and to pound sand. 

Thanks for posting. 

Just followed link - this is that bitch that talked that poor dude into killing himself. Yes, sad and mad. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    njnancy said:

I am partial to non-fiction documentaries so I'll be looking for this. I'll be prepared to be sad and to pound sand. 

Thanks for posting. 

Just followed link - this is that bitch that talked that poor dude into killing himself. Yes, sad and mad. 
    I think you'll like it....the defense part is pretty interesting.  I wasn't aware that their entire relationship was basically carried out via text.

She should have called the police or his parents, etc. But....he texted her about killing himself almost every night and was always there the next day.  She was even texting him the morning after he actually died because she figured he was still alive.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    njnancy said:

Thanks for posting. 

I think you'll like it....the defense part is pretty interesting.  I wasn't aware that their entire relationship was basically carried out via text.

She should have called the police or his parents, etc. But....he texted her about killing himself almost every night and was always there the next day.  She was even texting him the morning after he actually died because she figured he was still alive.
    Or to cover her ass....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    njnancy said:

Thanks for posting. 

Or to cover her ass....
    Perhaps...but that was the pattern.  They would text each other and he would discuss killing himself, then the next morning he'd still be there.

At one point he texted her and told her that there was nothing she could do to stop him from killing himself.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    dankind said:
    njnancy said:

Thanks for posting. 

Or to cover her ass....
    Perhaps...but that was the pattern.  They would text each other and he would discuss killing himself, then the next morning he'd still be there.

At one point he texted her and told her that there was nothing she could do to stop him from killing himself.
    Dude, he got scared and exited the vehicle, stopping himself from going through with it, and she ordered him to get back in.

Minus the mobile device, my girlfriend/best friend when we were teenagers constantly did the same thing over the phone and in notes passed throughout our day--that is, saying that she was going to kill herself. She would draw elaborate pictures of her corpse and everything. As a shitty teen, I'm certain that I said something to the effect of "just do it already" to her more than once. But I never wrote detailed instructions on the when, where, how, etc., asking repeatedly if she'd gone through with it yet, and I was always happy to know that she was still with us the following day. And if she ever called me and told me that she just slit her left wrist and was going to slit her right next, I am 100% positive that I would have asked her to please not do that before hanging up, immediately calling 911 and rushing to her house to alert her family and provide whatever first aid we could while we waited for an ambulance to arrive. Only a sociopath who has no place in a decent society would do such a thing as Michelle Carter did.

Character witnesses who said that Michelle Carter wanted Conrad Roy to do it so that she could get all kinds of sympathetic attention, sort of like a Munchausen by proxy deal, and more than just Carter's and Roy's phones easily convinced a judge (no jury, which I guess is what the somewhat sympathetic-to-Carter doc is trying to provide; yay! she's finally getting what she wanted: sympathy!) to find her guilty as all fuck. I think that the judge made the right call as far as that goes. He could have been better with the sentencing (more on that later).

And I hope like hell that the Supreme Court does the right thing and tells her and her legal team to fuck off. But the Supreme Court (and seemingly Michelle Carter) love making headlines, so I'm guessing this will come up again as soon as the unrighteous robes can clear time and space on their docket. If so, I hope that she's still found guilty. The absolute worst thing you can provide for a sociopath is vindication.

Don't get me wrong, she was a teen, and I think she deserves another chance. Her sentence was extremely light. She's obviously an extremely disturbed person. The judge should have ordered, in addition to her puny sentence, mandatory psychiatric treatment until such a time as her mental healthcare provider deems that she is no longer a threat to society or herself. If it takes forever, then so be it.

Look, I've been on antidepressants, and while they can have a numbing effect as far as emotions go, I don't think there's a single case study out there that would support the defense's claim that they severed Michelle from morality (i.e., knowing right from wrong). They just don't work that way. They could make her care less about Conrad's death, but they wouldn't make her a willing participant in it. Her wiring is just fucked up, and it's sad.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Yeah I think her sentence was light due to her age.  It's probably appropriate I guess.

There was a 23 year old in my hometown that killed two people in a head on collision...drunk driving.  I think she served 30 days in jail and got one year home detention.  I had a hard time seeing how that sentence was justifiable.