Options

Pearl Jam charity auctions change?

VedderMTLVedderMTL Montreal, Canada Posts: 1,401
I have been wondering if it wouldn’t be time to see the charity auctions becoming raffles ? Let me explain why. It is amazing to see how much money is being raised with the eBay auctions but I feel they are mostly available to the wealthiest of us fans. 

When I saw the reaction of the mystery box lucky 2 who received autographed guitars, I honestly think a lot of us would like to have a chance to own something as amazing, upon purchase of raffles entries. I mean, how many of us can afford the +8000$ guitar generously donated by the band for the Ferry County Trail charity ? Probably not much but imagine how much more money could be raised for charity if we would buy 1$-5$-10$-20$ tickets? I believe it would be significant. 

While I understand this would mean more work for the PJ crew to manage entries etc, I thought I’d throw the idea around because if there is one band who cares about what the fans have to say, it’s PJ and it’s crew. 

Thanks y’all and feel free to comment :peace:

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    It would be cool for them to do this once in a while  fro everyone who can't drop 10K all at once.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,748
    I've been pushing for this for the longest time. I think every time @demetrios posts about the latest charity auction with a guitar or uke, I make the suggestion ad nauseam. 

+1
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,868
    ^^^^^^^ this . We all think  it.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    love the idea but the logistics of handling raffles coupled with the bookkeeping side of things is probably more than a pain the arse
  • Options
    I'm in the midst of finishing my basement. Added a new wall down there and will box in an inset rectangle display. Complete with display lights. A great feature to really display such a guitar/uke in museum-like fashion (albeit not museum quality).

It will however look a bit odd/random until I get an item to put in there. But if/when I ever do, it will look freaking awesome.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    VedderMTLVedderMTL Montreal, Canada Posts: 1,401
    edited July 2019
    love the idea but the logistics of handling raffles coupled with the bookkeeping side of things is probably more than a pain the arse
    I believe it too.
  • Options
    I'm not debating or claiming to know a damn thing here, but maybe Tom from GTL would be a good person to ask here? He just did one for the signed Chicago foster (I could have swore I was going to win). There has to be some sort of easy raffle program/app by now. 
  • Options
    JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    Not really, brewery do all sorts of random draws for tickets to their limited releases.  Software/service can't be that hard.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    The band occasionally works with Crowdrise and Global Citizen's platform for non-Vitalogy Foundation causes. I'm sure Vitalogy Foundation is a small team doing lots of good things, and choose not to handle more complex auction/raffle systems., Hell we can all post something to eBay and direct 100% of funds to Vitalogy like them. Did it in the past myself for a few things, super easy. 

I get the frustration but if they're getting the money they're hoping for there's little reason to change formats. Would be nice to know how fans could help volunteer to raise more though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I agree that it would be a pain in the arse....and their goal is to raise money for charities...seems like what they are doing is working.  Great for them!

I would buy a raffle ticket, though.  :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    If NIKE can run a damn raffle for a pair of shoes that millions of people want then PJ can do this too.

They already have a "raffle system" in place via concert tix so I don't see this as being difficult to do at all.

Hey 10C, start a raffle for some things!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,724
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,868
    demetrios said:
    Word
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    They already have a "raffle system" in place via concert tix so I don't see this as being difficult to do at all.
    Oh yeah, very good point. Then again, after it's installed the flurry of threads hating the random selection purchase system would start rolling in.