13.    Guaranteed with Red Limo
14.    Rise with Red Limo
15.    Immortality
16.    My City Of Ruins-(Springsteen) with Glen Hansard & Red Limo
17.    Black with Glen Hansard and Red Limo
18.    Corduroy with Red Limo
19.    Porch
20.    Red Limo improv-Even Flow(no Ed)
21.    Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) with Red Limo
22.    Song Of Good Hope-(Hansard) with Glen Hansard and Red Limo
23.    Falling Slowly-(Hansard, Irglová) with Glen Hansard and Red Limo
24.    Crazy Little Thing Called Love-(Mercury) with Glen Hansard and  Red Limo
25.    The Auld Triangle-(Behan) with Glen Hansard and Red Limo and kids from Glen’s set
26.    Hard Sun-(Peterson) with Glen Hansard and Red Limo and kids
27.    Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young) with Glen Hansard, Red Limo and guests

Glen Hansard
1.    Bird Of Sorrow
2.    High Hope
3.    When Your Mind’s Made Up
4.    Shelter Me
5.    Grace Beneath The Pines
6.    Revelate
7.    Way Back In The Way Back When
8.    That’s All Right-(Crudup) {sung by children}
9.    This Gift

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John, for the set list and notes.

Tagged:

Comments

• That gig was magic. A perfect example of sometimes it doesn’t matter much what is on the setlist because the vibe is so good. Loved every minute of it. 
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2019
    I had a super great time, Thank you Eddie, Glenn and all the lovely musicians and crew involved. 
    This night was fantastic, it felt like we were all one big happy family,  singing like crazy. :) I’m still walking on clouds. 
    Eddie is my biggest idol, Thank you so much for coming to Europe ❤️

Post edited by Annafalk on
  • My wife and I are heading to the train station now to leave Dublin. 

With some bands or musicians, at a certain point, the more you see them the shows start to bleed together. It's only natural. The music is still great, but it becomes difficult to zoom in on what makes each individual show so unique and meaningful. That is never the case with Pearl Jam or in this case Eddie Vedder. 

Last night was a memory that my wife and I will cherish. From the first notes from the Red Limo playing Eddie onto the stage until the final ones or Free World echoed off the walls of the arena, the music was a good as it could possibly get.

Immortality, indifference, sometimes, the stretch from black into Betterman and most meaningful to me, Wildflowers. My goodness, wildflowers. I was hoping for that song to make the set on the plane ride from Boston and not wanting to get my hopes up. To hear Eddie's moving words about Tom followed by that song in that setting... more memories to last a life time. 

Thank you to Ed, Glen, the Red Limo quartet and the great city of Dublin for this night of music that we will carry with us for some time to come. 
    5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • SluzziSluzzi Toronto Posts: 7
    Amazing show!  Such an incredible crowd! Everyone singing loud with the string quartet playing Even Flow was awesome!
    Like said above, the energy of the crowd was what made the evening so special. The set list was secondary......and still awesome!
    Thank You Eddie, Glen and Red Limo for an unforgettable night!
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    The crowd were fab. And we are running out of superlatives for that man!!! He puts his heart and soul into everything.  It's a pleasure to see him.  Eddie playing immortality.  Bliss. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 519
    edited July 2019
    It was an ok/ only mediocre gig- venue was far too big. I was four rows from the front - I would have been very pissed off if I was much further away.
    It’s not arena music. Olympia would have been an appropriate venue size for this performance but obviously couldn’t have improved the quality of a pretty dull show. What was with that message at the start saying something to the effect of due to the intimate setting, don’t use smart phones? The venue holds 14,000 people! Pearl Jam have played there several times. 

I know the fans lapped it up and Eddie loves the adoration but it all sounded a bit samey to me and I think he pushes that fandom too much by a million. It seemed that if he played ad jingles the crowd would have been ecstatic.

An evenings worth of songs (most of which are accompanied by only a string quartet) got tedious for me. He’s Hasn’t got a big output as a solo act so, inevitably half of the set was covers and the other half PJ songs.
    Telling far too many stories about how great Glen is, how great Ireland is etc got boring pretty quickly.
    The tickets were incredibly expensive too. For a man who apparently has a social conscience I can’t understand how he could charge so much for a very stripped down show. Supply and demand and all that but I did feel very ripped off.

Im not a fan of ass kissing but show relied heavily on it.

Will pass next time. 
    Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited July 2019
    It was an ok/ only mediocre gig- venue was far too big. I was four rows from the front - I would have been very pissed off if I was much further away.
    It’s not arena music. Olympia would have been an appropriate venue size for this performance but obviously couldn’t have improved the quality of a pretty dull show. What was with that message at the start saying something to the effect of due to the intimate setting, don’t use smart phones? The venue holds 14,000 people! Pearl Jam have played there several times. 

I know the fans lapped it up and Eddie loves the adoration but it all sounded a bit samey to me and I think he pushes that fandom too much by a million. It seemed that if he played ad jingles the crowd would have been ecstatic.

An evenings worth of songs (most of which are accompanied by only a string quartet) got tedious for me. He’s Hasn’t got a big output as a solo act so, inevitably half of the set was covers and the other half PJ songs.
    Telling far too many stories about how great Glen is, how great Ireland is etc got boring pretty quickly.
    The tickets were incredibly expensive too. For a man who apparently has a social conscience I can’t understand how he could charge so much for a very stripped down show. Supply and demand and all that but I did feel very ripped off.

Will pass next time. 
    I have to disagree. I think solo EV shows have morphed over the years into pseudo PJ shows. The shows are much more energetic than they were circa 2008 when it was clearly an intimate acoustic performance needing a small venue to capture the vibe. Obviously I would have preferred the Olympia, but he's just gotten too big for that- especially with PJ slowing down touring wise. Imagine trying to get a ticket for the Olympia even over two nights. Ryan Adams (pre-scandal), sells out two nights with ease.
  • I have only seen Pearl Jam three times and two of those were crap. 
    I still think his theatrics and definitely the delivery don’t lend themselves to an arena. At 115 Euros I was ripped off- I don’t care about how many ‘I love you guys’ stories he tells- the music was not very good and he had little overheads- so to charge that much for a ticket is obscene. It’s bar music he’s playing.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    eddiec said:

Will pass next time. 
    I have to disagree. I think solo EV shows have morphed over the years into pseudo PJ shows. The shows are much more energetic than they were circa 2008 when it was clearly an intimate acoustic performance needing a small venue to capture the vibe. Obviously I would have preferred the Olympia, but he's just gotten too big for that- especially with PJ slowing down touring wise. Imagine trying to get a ticket for the Olympia even over two nights. Ryan Adams (pre-scandal), sells out two nights with ease.
    I don't think they've morphed much at all. He's essentially playing the same rotation of songs he's been playing since 2008 (sure a couple "new" songs since and he's learned a couple different covers, but basically same). Hes had the same opening act for amost a decade. They duet on pretty much same songs they've been doing together the whole time. If he had some new music to contribute I might have more interest, but adding strings to a few songs is not much more than novelty. He's even still doing the roadie in lab coat thing?!? He's got to write some damn music 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    edited July 2019
    Eddie Vedder needs to be more like those punks he apparently admired, and charge fans a lot less to see him-  I am still reeling from paying that much for such s poor show that was merely  an incredibly expensive exercise is self worship. 

if anyone from PJ HQ wants to refund me €100 for €115 that I spent on that shabby, extremely expensive night, where Eddie spoke about human rights at nauseum, I would willingly except. I know about treating people nicely, I don’t need a multi millionaire to tell me how to do it. 

Eddie Vedder/ Pearl Jam’s affiliations with punk bands are in complete contradiction to the extortionate prices they sell tickets for their shows. 

Actually, I bought two tickets, so a €200 refund would be greatly appreciated. 
    edited July 2019
    NewJPage said:
    eddiec said:

Will pass next time. 
    I don't think they've morphed much at all. He's essentially playing the same rotation of songs he's been playing since 2008 (sure a couple "new" songs since and he's learned a couple different covers, but basically same). Hes had the same opening act for amost a decade. They duet on pretty much same songs they've been doing together the whole time. If he had some new music to contribute I might have more interest, but adding strings to a few songs is not much more than novelty. He's even still doing the roadie in lab coat thing?!? He's got to write some damn music 
    Yep, totally agree, but come on €115 for that! Eddie, please pm me and I will give you my bank account number for that refund that I deserve. All this talk of being down with the people but charging that much for a concert. Glen Hansard should not be party to this show being that he has supported homeless people in Dublin- I’ll need a mortgage if I want to see you and Eddie Vedder again!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Eddie Vedder needs to be more like those punks he apparently admired, and charge fans a lot less to see him-  I am still reeling from paying that much for such s poor show that was merely  an incredibly expensive exercise is self worship. 

if anyone from PJ HQ wants to refund me €100 for €115 that I spent on that shabby, extremely expensive night, where Eddie spoke about human rights at nauseum, I would willingly except. I know about treating people nicely, I don’t need a multi millionaire to tell me how to do it. 

Eddie Vedder/ Pearl Jam’s affiliations with punk bands are in complete contradiction to the extortionate prices they sell tickets for their shows. 

Did you not check out his sets from 2017 to see what you were getting into? Did you not know that he only has a handful of his own solo material to rely on? Did you think he was not going to play PJ songs or covers? What were you expecting? You paid the $$$ with out doing any research it looks like and that is on you. Not your cup of tea that is fine but don't act like he pulled the wool over your eyes with a bait and switch show. His shows have been pretty much the same for almost a decade. 

Also 2 out of the 3 PJ shows you went to were crap. That is fine again but if they were crap what were you expecting out of this show? 
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    Don't feed the troll
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • PJNB said:

Did you not check out his sets from 2017 to see what you were getting into? Did you not know that he only has a handful of his own solo material to rely on? Did you think he was not going to play PJ songs or covers? What were you expecting? You paid the $$$ with out doing any research it looks like and that is on you. Not your cup of tea that is fine but don't act like he pulled the wool over your eyes with a bait and switch show. His shows have been pretty much the same for almost a decade. 

Also 2 out of the 3 PJ shows you went to were crap. That is fine again but if they were crap what were you expecting out of this show? 

edited July 2019
    No, I didn’t check his sets.
    Yes, I know he only has a few solo albums( backs up my point, why is he playing arenas? It’s bar music) 
    i was expecting a good show with a band, not a string quartet and not all this self worship bull. 
    I feel ripped off- I think he is pulling the wool over fans eyes. Bottom line for me is that this gig was mediocre and should have cost about €30.

Talking about good causes etc is fine but charging people €110 for a lot of this sort of talk and come ons with his  brofriend  Glen is not nice.

• Should be ‘Eddie & Glen’
  • tino_11 said:
    Don't feed the troll
    Well, give me good gigs at a reasonable price and you you won’t hear from me! 
  • PJNB said:

Sorry again, but I was so pissed off after this apparent ‘concert’. I could only quote John Lennon in relation to this Eddie Vedder show.  “How do you sleep?”
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    edited July 2019
    I'm nearly enjoying this thread as much as I enjoyed the concert. You can take from that whatever you like.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • I'm nearly enjoying this thread as much as I enjoyed the concert. You can take from that whatever you like.
    They are both shit?
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    I think the show was good and worth every penny.  If anything it was underpriced as it sold out right away.  Perhaps folks who do not appreciate this type of performance should refrain from buying tickets next time to enable more access for fans and to relieve upward pressure on prices.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
     What was with that message at the start saying something to the effect of due to the intimate setting, don’t use smart phones? The venue holds 14,000 people! Pearl Jam have played there several times. 
    Haha. I don't agree with anything you have written or approve of your snarky attitude. But yeah this made me chuckle in Brussels and Dusseldorf. He's playing for like 6-8000 people in "on the way to or already at Pearl Jam sized"-venues.

Yeah, you left "intimate" when you went from playing the Hammersmith Apollo to playing Arenas.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mattdinglemattdingle Posts: 180
    edited July 2019
    10/10

I thought the gig was excellent , from start to finish . Voice was great and interaction with the crowd was fantastic . He's a humble guy to me . Also I brought my 10 year old son who likes PJ and he came away from the gig with a pick Eddie gave to him. He will never forget the concert. Happy little boy and that's what it's all about . A fantastic experienve . Tks 10 club and Ed.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    10/10

I thought the gig was excellent , from start to finish . Voice was great and interaction with the crowd was fantastic . He's a humble guy to me . Also I brought my 10 year old son who likes PJ and he came away from the gig with a pick Eddie gave to him. He will never forget the concert. Happy little boy and that's what it's all about . A fantastic experienve . Tks 10 club and Ed.
    Fantastic story. That’s what it’s all about. Congrats. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    edited August 2019
    ——