Ed Offstage 19:30

1.    Red Limo improv-Alive (no Ed)
2.    Wishlist
3.    I Am Mine
4.    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
5.    Corduroy with Red Limo
6.    I’m The Answer-(Simon Townshend) with Simon Townshend
7.    Just Breathe with Red Limo
8.    Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)/Real Good Looking Boy-(Townshend) {Just two lines} with Red Limo
9.    Society-(Hannan) with Glen Hansard and Red Limo
10.    Black with Glen Hansard and Red Limo
11.    Crazy Little Thing Called Love-(Mercury) with Glen Hansard and Red Limo
12.    Porch
13.    Hard Sun-(Peterson) with Glen Hansard & Red Limo

The Punk And The Godfather - Eddie w/The Who

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John, for the set list and notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• vercemanverceman Posts: 679
    Eddie sounded great. Was weird to hear Black solo and not have the crowd doodoodoodooing back. Was not a PEARL JAM show but still cool.  Hard Sun was a highlight, and nice to see Eddie so happy to be opening for his heroes.  
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Can someone let me know which songs he joined Who for?
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    SOLAT319 said:
    Can someone let me know which songs he joined Who for?
    This doesn’t seem right-showing Ed on only 1 song???

(with Eddie Vedder)

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,926
    Ed only joined The Who for that one song. 

As for Ed's set, he sounded great and was clearly so happy to be there. Hard Sun and the Queen cover were the highlights.

However, on the whole, his set didn't come across great in a stadium setting. My thoughts may have been influenced by people around me talking throughout Eddie's set. But it really wasn't a patch on a regular solo show, I just couldn't get into it like usual. Even more disappointed now that I couldn't make it to a different show on this tour. 

2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • PJU2PJU2 Sacramento Posts: 34
    Hey ALL.  This is just ED solo warming up for the WHO Tonight.  He will join them as well
  • Electro_UKElectro_UK Posts: 119
    Was fun. Not a 'full set' in the least bit but fun!
    "Hey Eddie, great show-- fuck you!"
    PJ - London 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12 + 21/6/12, Isle of Wight 23/6/12, Seattle 6/12/13, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Boston 5/8/16 + 7/8/16
    Ed - London 31/7/12, Amsterdam 27/5/17 + 30/5/17, London 6/6/17 + 7/6/17
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    Surprised he only joined for one song. I would have guessed something more similar to Toledo 04. Like him playing 3 songs with them at least.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    Not at all a full set. Ed plays 2 plus hours. Thats a full  set. Not 13 and i say 13 songs. Not really even that.  Not  a full set as advertised.  The music was all great though. Just a con though. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    Ed sounding oustanding... honestly that was the best I've heard him for a long time, and he seemed to be having a blast. My wife and I loved the set, Crazy Little Thing Called Love was a great surprise as my wife is a big Queen fan. But I have to add to the disgruntled voices that a 1 hour set was a piss take, do not advertise it as a "full set" if that;s what's going to happen. Relieved we got our tickets in the 2 for 1 Ticketmaster offer, but there were people there who had paid nigh on £400 a pair just to se Ed,
  • SB51117SB51117 Posts: 39
    Ed sounding oustanding... honestly that was the best I've heard him for a long time, and he seemed to be having a blast. My wife and I loved the set, Crazy Little Thing Called Love was a great surprise as my wife is a big Queen fan. But I have to add to the disgruntled voices that a 1 hour set was a piss take, do not advertise it as a "full set" if that;s what's going to happen. Relieved we got our tickets in the 2 for 1 Ticketmaster offer, but there were people there who had paid nigh on £400 a pair just to se Ed,
    100% agree with all that.

At the end of Just Breathe, Ed said that something like, even with so many faces in the crowd he could clearly the see the face of the woman who the song was written about. He then added that the song was also dedicated to Al, a reference to Alan Rogan, Pete Townsend's long time guitar tech who died a couple of days before the show.

Aside from a couple of short interludes on what The Who meant to a young Ed, etc. it seemed the 60 minute support set limit kept him much more focused on playing songs than long monologues.

• Magic_JMagic_J Uk Posts: 28
    Agree Ed sounded the best he has in years. I’d mentioned to my dad before that Ed’s voice isn’t quite what it was years ago (Dad’s mostly familiar with Ten), and part way through the set he turned to me and said “sounds as bloody good as I remember him sounding!”. I can totally see how people coming just for him would feel cheated by not getting the full set as advertised, that was misleading of the organisers.  I was also there for The Who, my dad hadn’t seen them since the 60s (not managed to get to the last two gigs he had tickets for) so we feel we got our monies worth as the Who and orchestra were insane. 

I think we were lucky that we were up near front right side in the pitch so Ed’s performance didn’t feel quite so lost in the stadium to us as it might have to others further back (plus I’ve not been lucky enough to get to a full solo gig to compare it to). Also, we seemed to be sat in a Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder enclave so everyone around us was up and singing every word! But I’m now of course desperate to finally catch one of his more intimate solo shows!
    Hey @Magic_J, I'm glad you enjoyed the show. 

Get to a regular EV show next time you get chance, it will absolutely blow you away. 
  • Magic_JMagic_J Uk Posts: 28
    @tino_11 I really wanted to get one of the other Euro dates but they all clashed with work commitments, next time for sure! 
    Magic_J said:
    @tino_11 I really wanted to get one of the other Euro dates but they all clashed with work commitments, next time for sure! 
    I know the feeling. Had a family holiday booked in the middle of this tour and couldn't do others because of work. 

Hopefully he'll be back over here soon!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Not at all a full set. Ed plays 2 plus hours. Thats a full  set. Not 13 and i say 13 songs. Not really even that.  Not  a full set as advertised.  The music was all great though. Just a con though. 
    I guess?  I've been to hundreds of concerts by various bands and not once have I ever seen an opening band get 2 hours.   Did anyone really expect that?  Usually an opener gets 45 mins to an hour?   For one the show would go way past noise curfew if the opener played for 2 hours then the headliner did too.  Secondly the fans would grow impatient, as the majority showed up for the headliner.

I saw that poster where it said full set, but I would never of expected 2 hours.  I suppose there's also the thing that a concert has the main set, then encores.   You don't often refer to the whole who as a single set.  

Sounds like he played about an hour which is what I would of expected?
    If a support act has 'full set' after their name I would honestly expect 90 minutes minimum. If there's not time to fit that in then don't promote it that way.
    tino_11 said:
    If a support act has 'full set' after their name I would honestly expect 90 minutes minimum. If there's not time to fit that in then don't promote it that way.
    I agree any  other talk is silly. "Full set"=full set no? If they had no others lesser acts  . Just chiefs.  Ed. Who
    Time for all. I cant see the other 2 acts attracted many fans at all see what i mean?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Zod said:
    I guess?  I've been to hundreds of concerts by various bands and not once have I ever seen an opening band get 2 hours.   Did anyone really expect that?  Usually an opener gets 45 mins to an hour?   For one the show would go way past noise curfew if the opener played for 2 hours then the headliner did too.  Secondly the fans would grow impatient, as the majority showed up for the headliner.

I saw that poster where it said full set, but I would never of expected 2 hours.  I suppose there's also the thing that a concert has the main set, then encores.   You don't often refer to the whole who as a single set.  

If you saw how many  pj/ed fans there  you would  say we were very high in numbers. Very very high. Amd in seats very high hahah
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

And doors were at 3 so plenty of time if 3 bands  like i say. They got stupid and made 2 other bands play stupid 30 min sets.  Pointless
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited July 2019
    Zod said:

So, what is a "full set" for you? And how would it differ from an opening bands regular set? And why would it be used as promotion if "full set = opening band length set" ?

I would not except the "full set" to be 2 hours either. I thought around 90 minutes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    Yep I assumed 90 minutes. I can see no reason at all for putting "full set" and giving Eddie equal billing as The Who with regards to placement on this poster, if all he got was 1 hour.

• Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Dont forget this advert

Kearnsy
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Yep I assumed 90 minutes. I can see no reason at all for putting "full set" and giving Eddie equal billing as The Who with regards to placement on this poster, if all he got was 1 hour.

I think everyone is used to a band and solo artist that put on marathon shows. I assumed the whole time a full set would equal one hour.

Most co-headlining tours of bands has them preforming right around the 60 min mark each.

I know Jimmy Eat World and Third Eye Blind are doing a co-headlining tour and they each get an hour , again not comparing musically but I think anyone whom thought that they were getting a 2 hour show or longer was out of their mind.

Man so big headliners only play for 70-80 mins total. 

Just think if you went to see PJ and the opening band played for 3 hours , everyone would lose their damn minds, that said hope everyone had an amazing time if they caught this or any other shows of this tour.  

• JackD.JackD. Posts: 480
    I haven‘t been there but wanted to chip in my opinion: Full set imho is not a fixed set length. It depends on the artist. I‘d expect different from a full set by Pearl Jam than say RHCP.

So 60 min by Eddie -for me- is not a full set.
  • Alex-555Alex-555 Posts: 11
    edited July 2019
    I have not seen those posters or in fact not the detail, which said “Full set”. If I would have read that in advance I would have had the expectation to see an Eddie show of at least 90min! Because I didn’t, it was ok for me. In my opinion it’s definitely not fair to announce an Eddie Vedder show with full set and than he plays for 60min, when he usually plays 140min. That is very bad marketing!
    By the way...Of course I loved his set much more than that Who concert....I didn’t have the feeling that they really got the crowd like Eddie always does, alone or with PJ.
    Post edited by Alex-555 on
    edited July 2019
    Post edited by Alex-555 on

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I don't have a dog in this fight but "full set" surely would be at least 90 minutes.  Not sure why they would have billed it that way.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 834
    edited July 2019
    I thought a full set would mean 90 minutes but to be truthful, I bought my tickets on the day they went on sale as I was happy to see both on the same bill.  I think it was the result of poor ticket sales that led to the promotion coming weeks after tickets went on sale saying full set and also the underground posters.
    A bit naughty really, as that maybe convinced EV fans who were wavering to take the plunge and buy tickets....
    It seems very much at odds with anything I've ever seen before but then again , by the letter of the law, full set didn't say 90 minutes so it could have meant 60 minutes.... Good old live nation.... 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited July 2019
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville