Why no HBO Chernobyl thread?

Directed by this swede:

https://youtu.be/sGNK-cOtxSs

Who later directed music videos like Frozen for Madonna:

This for Chris Cornell:

And:

Just watched the first episode. The dread! 

Wish they would have dared to film it with russian actors. But other than that, don't know if I can watch the second episode.. haha

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why.  Most of us could care less about Russia...except they are a stain to the world...you enjoy.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019

I don't know why no Chernobyl thread. Why don't you start one? :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2019
    Why.  
    Take a guess:

(hint: it's one of the most talked about and praised tv-series this year. Maybe not under the rock you live under. But everywhere else)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    It was fucking awesome. I loved it. It was just so well made - if I was a film professor, I'd be referencing it in my classes, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    It was fucking awesome. I loved it. It was just so well made - if I was a film professor, I'd be referencing it in my classes, lol.
    Heading into episode 2 now. Wish me luck.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Everybody talks about this in Greece..
    its on my list..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    Everybody talks about this in Greece..
    its on my list..
    Watch it. It's pure dread.
    Watched three episodes last night. WIll watch the rest after I take a swing around the pride celebration downtown.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Amazing show.
    When the cement truck comes at the funeral...
    The dog :(
    Crazy:

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    That was an awesome miniseries.  Still can't believe that actually happened.  Apparently there's an alternate version being made for Russia where the CIA caused the disaster!! LOL.
     Apparently there's an alternate version being made for Russia where the CIA caused the disaster!! LOL.
    "The Trump cut"
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
     I binged the 5 episodes twice.

it was excellent & i learned more than i knew before.  a lot of every day heroes & Soviet scum leaders.

The dogs got me & i thought the miners were awesome. Don't want to say too much for those who haven't watched.

i could watch the whole thing again, but I'll wait awhile cause it's heavy stuff.

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Why.  Most of us could care less about Russia...except they are a stain to the world...you enjoy.
    Except Chernobyl is not even in Russia.......
    JPPJ84 said:
    And nuclear fallout knows no man assigned boundaries. 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    njnancy said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    And nuclear fallout knows no man assigned boundaries. 
    Damn right
    Finished it. Would love to rewatch it. Loved the heaviness of it, and the lack of Hollywoodian tropes and feel. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited June 2019
    Waiting for my  wife to watch the last two episodes.together....but pretty great series so far.
    Crazy and scary stuff.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    ''After the disastrous explosion at Chernobyl in 1986, one of the few survivors, the nuclear physicist Andrei Drozdov, decides to set up an Esoteric School based mainly on the philosophy of Pythagoras. Together with six other Russian scientists, they form a commune at the southernmost point of Europe, the remote island of Gavdos. Behind their profile of selfless workers and Orthodox Russian scientists, several myths begin to emerge in the local community: Might they be spies or perhaps members of an obscure sect? As a consequence of the seven scientists' philosophical quest regarding the need to reconstruct this world and to create a new "immortal" human being, they trigger reactions from the Church and the local community, especially when they decide to build a Temple dedicated to Apollo.''

https://youtu.be/nHoyV5DsoZ8
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    It's because everyone canceled HBO after Game of Thrones ended. :lol:
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Finished it. Would love to rewatch it. Loved the heaviness of it, and the lack of Hollywoodian tropes and feel. 
    THIS!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    JPPJ84 said:
    You know what I meant.  They were part of the Soviet Empire at the time...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    JPPJ84 said:
    You know what I meant.  They were part of the Soviet Empire at the time...
    Best coubtry in C&C Red Alert. 
    23scidoo said:
    Thank you for posting that. 

Amazing how the details were so closely replicated. Now I'm gonna go down a rabbit hole with all the Chernobyl clips listed. LOL.

It was a terrible disaster, I don't think that they could ever properly portray just how horrid it was. Only those who lived it and still live it today really know the full impact.  

HBO seems to have based a lot on that documentary. Which is one of many videos I will be watching till the wee hours of the morning (and it's all your fault) :tongue::wink:

njnancy said:
    23scidoo said:
    Thank you for posting that. 

Amazing how the details were so closely replicated. Now I'm gonna go down a rabbit hole with all the Chernobyl clips listed. LOL.

It was a terrible disaster, I don't think that they could ever properly portray just how horrid it was. Only those who lived it and still live it today really know the full impact.  

HBO seems to have based a lot on that documentary. Which is one of many videos I will be watching till the wee hours of the morning (and it's all your fault) :tongue::wink:

De nada Nancy!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Finished watching it at the weekend. I thought it was really well made and I will definitely watch it again.
    I was 9 when it happened, and I can remember seeing the reports on the news in the UK, but obviously had no idea of what was going on behind the scenes. I appreciate that some of it was dramatised but it's still fascinating and terrifying in equal measure to watch, knowing that it really happened.

My brother actually visited Chernobyl and Pripyat in February for his 40th birthday. He's a photographer and likes to go to unusual places to shoot. For some reason he thought Chernobyl, and the exclusion zone, would be a good idea for a birthday trip!?!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)