Jon Stewart shames, a nearly empty, congress

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited June 2019
    Sad.  Damn tragic that people need to fight politicians to give them their rightful benefits...

It's the same thing here in Canada, our vets are always in court to get their rightful benefits...

But I see politicians for what they are scum...almost all them.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    That man is a gift.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm so incredibly ashamed of this administration right now.  I don't even know how to fully say it.

And I don't generally use the term "God bless" but in this case, God Bless Jon Stewart. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited June 2019
    Let's name names.
    It was the House Judiciary Committee ​

PRESENT:
    House ​Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler​ of New York,
    ​Democratic Reps. Steve Cohen​ of Tennessee​,
    Mary Gay Scanlon​ of Pennsylvania​,
    Jamie Raskin ​of Maryland ​
    ​and the top Republican in the ​Judiciary subcommittee, Rep. Mike Johnson ​of Louisiana.
    Democratic ​Rep. Max Rose ​of Staten Island was seated near the witnesses testifying.

Who was missing? Too many, shameful. 
    https://judiciary.house.gov/about/members

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Henry C. "Hank" Johnson Georgia
    Theodore E. Deutch Florida
    Karen Bass California
    Cedric L. Richmond Louisiana
    Hakeem S. Jeffries New York
    David N. Cicilline Rhode Island
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Pramila Jayapal Washington
    Val Butler Demings Florida
    J. Luis Correa California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Madeleine Dean Pennsylvania
    Debbie Mucarsel-Powell Florida
    Veronica Escobar Texas
    Ranking Member Doug Collins Georgia

Republican Membership
    F. James Sensenbrenner Wisconsin
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Tom McClintock California
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Guy Reschenthaler Pennsylvania
    Ben Cline Virginia
    Kelly Armstrong North Dakota
    W. Gregory Steube Florida

Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:
    ​and the top Republican in the ​Judiciary subcommittee, Rep. Mike Johnson ​of Louisiana.
    Democratic ​Rep. Max Rose ​of Staten Island was seated near the witnesses testifying.

Who were missing? Too many, shameful. 

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

Good lord, all I can do is shake my head.  Shameful! And I am going go go right now and tell each of my congress people exactly that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

There was only one from my district- one so-called "Patriot".  Well, it felt damn good to write to him.  I hope others here will do the same if your  representative is on the list KAT posted.  Thank you.

• EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    brianlux said:
    I'm so incredibly ashamed of this administration right now.  I don't even know how to fully say it.

And I don't generally use the term "God bless" but in this case, God Bless Jon Stewart. 
    Sorry. This is 17+ years in the making and the current Administration has only resided over the last 2.    Not everything is an indictment of Trump. Obama wasn't so great either.  He just did it with a little more decorum.

And as others have now pointed out, it's not your side or their side that's solely to blame.  
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    that was great and sad at the same time.  agree 100% with everything he said.   
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    This illustrates the incompetence of the congress so well. If nothing can get done on THIS ISSUE, and issue that everyone agrees on regardless of political affiliation, then how can anything ever get done?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    This illustrates the incompetence of the congress so well. If nothing can get done on THIS ISSUE, and issue that everyone agrees on regardless of political affiliation, then how can anything ever get done?
    it gets cynically used for pollitical purposes. as with most things.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    pjhawks said:
    that was great and sad at the same time.  agree 100% with everything he said.   
    And I completely agree with you. Well said.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    brianlux said:

Sorry. This is 17+ years in the making and the current Administration has only resided over the last 2.    Not everything is an indictment of Trump. Obama wasn't so great either.  He just did it with a little more decorum.

And as others have now pointed out, it's not your side or their side that's solely to blame.  
    OK, I get what your saying- my poor wording.  But I'm still ashamed of this Congress- both sides who haven't shown support. 

Talk about slackers.  This congress is the ultimate quintessential group of (mostly) slackers. 

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

Good lord, all I can do is shake my head.  Shameful! And I am going go go right now and tell each of my congress people exactly that.
    The entire situation is grotesquely shameful. There should have been an inappropriately flexible funding bill set up the first time it was requested. As the years go by the amount of money needed grows as more people get sick and the sick get sicker. 

Just one thing about who was present in Congress - it was a subcommittee that met today, the entire committee doesn't meet until tomorrow. So the empty seats in the front were people who were not supposed to be there today. Eric Swalwell/California and Guy Reschenthaler/Pennsylvania were members of the sub committee that did not attend and that is shameful. People were walking in and out of the hearing as the 9/11 responders were testifying prior to Stewart testifying. It is something that happens whenever there is a committee hearing, I always find it to be annoying and I don't see how someone could not sit and listen to these responders testify. But not all of those people chose not to attend, they aren't part of this sub committee. I think the entire committee should have been assembled to listen to these heroes, but it was the sub committee only. 

Stewart was spot on in his anger about the hypocrisy of Congress and the fact that these sick heroes need to continue to fight for benefits they deserve for illnesses caused by an attack on America. He made a common sense argument and he was especially angry about Mitch McConnell - the proud "grim reaper' where bills go to die. 

It is disgusting and should have been fully funded years ago. The President at the time of the funding does not have anything to do with the Congress's process. It is the insanity of the Congress where the House, depending on who is the majority, sends a funding bill to the Senate and the Senate, which has been Republican majority last time this bill was introduced and this time. This dysfunction of the Senate  where McConnell only will allow judge appointments come to the floor and ignores all other House bills that is the most infuriating. 

I would hope that the passion of the hearing would make them put aside politics, but I fear for the responders tomorrow when they vote on this bill. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

The entire situation is grotesquely shameful. There should have been an inappropriately flexible funding bill set up the first time it was requested. As the years go by the amount of money needed grows as more people get sick and the sick get sicker. 

Just one thing about who was present in Congress - it was a subcommittee that met today, the entire committee doesn't meet until tomorrow. So the empty seats in the front were people who were not supposed to be there today. Eric Swalwell/California and Guy Reschenthaler/Pennsylvania were members of the sub committee that did not attend and that is shameful. People were walking in and out of the hearing as the 9/11 responders were testifying prior to Stewart testifying. It is something that happens whenever there is a committee hearing, I always find it to be annoying and I don't see how someone could not sit and listen to these responders testify. But not all of those people chose not to attend, they aren't part of this sub committee. I think the entire committee should have been assembled to listen to these heroes, but it was the sub committee only. 

Stewart was spot on in his anger about the hypocrisy of Congress and the fact that these sick heroes need to continue to fight for benefits they deserve for illnesses caused by an attack on America. He made a common sense argument and he was especially angry about Mitch McConnell - the proud "grim reaper' where bills go to die. 

It is disgusting and should have been fully funded years ago. The President at the time of the funding does not have anything to do with the Congress's process. It is the insanity of the Congress where the House, depending on who is the majority, sends a funding bill to the Senate and the Senate, which has been Republican majority last time this bill was introduced and this time. This dysfunction of the Senate  where McConnell only will allow judge appointments come to the floor and ignores all other House bills that is the most infuriating. 

I would hope that the passion of the hearing would make them put aside politics, but I fear for the responders tomorrow when they vote on this bill. 
    Well said, Nancy. 

McC, is an evil man.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

Here is a few problems w the bill.

The dems throw stuff in the bill so if it gets passed they get a few things they wanted which pisses off the Rep something fierce and they vote it down.

It's not that the Rep are voting the 9/11 part of it down but all the other crap that gets thrown in.

One side looks good while the other looks bad and vice-versa. Oldest trick in the books.

There needs to be a bipartisan bill made so that both parties will pass it.

It's bullshit politics and both sides don't give a shit which is apparent after 9 years of back and forth not to mention that this incident happened 18 years ago.

More about the bill.

21,000 claims have been open to get the 7.375 Billion dollars.  That's 300k per claim on average.  There weren't 21000 first responders in that time.  These payouts also go to ironworkers, electricians, and people that were there and breathed in all that crap that was floating around the city so it can go thin quick I'd guess?

The NYC workers already have a pension and medical being paid for by the city so what is the other money going towards?

I'm also curious to how the money does get doled out to victims.

The more you look at it the worse it actually gets.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

The dems throw stuff in the bill so if it gets passed they get a few things they wanted which pisses off the Rep something fierce and they vote it down.

It's not that the Rep are voting the 9/11 part of it down but all the other crap that gets thrown in.

One side looks good while the other looks bad and vice-versa. Oldest trick in the books.

It's bullshit politics and both sides don't give a shit which is apparent after 9 years of back and forth not to mention that this incident happened 18 years ago.

More about the bill.

21,000 claims have been open to get the 7.375 Billion dollars.  That's 300k per claim on average.  There weren't 21000 first responders in that time.  These payouts also go to ironworkers, electricians, and people that were there and breathed in all that crap that was floating around the city so it can go thin quick I'd guess?

The NYC workers already have a pension and medical being paid for by the city so what is the other money going towards?

Not really. The fund is administered by an independent guy who has a stellar reputation for being fair, honest, thoughtful and diligent in his approach. Where did the person work? What was there salary at the time? What was their earning potential to a certain age, 65, 67, 70? How many dependents did they have? Their ages? As for the bill? That’s where compromise comes into play and the art of politics is important. However, the repubs (see the e) have been the party of no for a decade or longer at this point. The bill will pass the house and the senate can vote it up or down or try to reconcile with their own bill. Too much work for Mitchy baby and flyover country doesn’t give a shit about NYC. Add the fact that Bush’s EPA administrator, former gubner of New Jersey, Christie Todd Whitman, caved to the pressure that the air was safe to breath with minimal precautions and the repubs own more scorn that dems. Remember the super storm sandy vote? How’s Puerto Rico doing? Fuck the repubs.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

More about the bill.

Can you post some articles with more info?

I really am not up to date with the situation. If Stewart is pissed off I trust he has good reason.
    dignin said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

More about the bill.

Can you post some articles with more info?

I really am not up to date with the situation. If Stewart is pissed off I trust he has good reason.
    Halifax brought up some good points but here is the jist of it, in 2011 a bill was proposed and shot down.  More money is needed to accomodate the growing number of people filing claims.  A cut off date of claims will be in 2020 now.

I will work on getting more articles for everyone to read.

Here is one that talks about cutting the claims in half or more to make sure that people still get something.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fund-sept-11/u-s-to-slash-payouts-from-9-11-victims-fund-idUSKCN1Q42I2
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

More about the bill.

Not really. The fund is administered by an independent guy who has a stellar reputation for being fair, honest, thoughtful and diligent in his approach. Where did the person work? What was there salary at the time? What was their earning potential to a certain age, 65, 67, 70? How many dependents did they have? Their ages? As for the bill? That’s where compromise comes into play and the art of politics is important. However, the repubs (see the e) have been the party of no for a decade or longer at this point. The bill will pass the house and the senate can vote it up or down or try to reconcile with their own bill. Too much work for Mitchy baby and flyover country doesn’t give a shit about NYC. Add the fact that Bush’s EPA administrator, former gubner of New Jersey, Christie Todd Whitman, caved to the pressure that the air was safe to breath with minimal precautions and the repubs own more scorn that dems. Remember the super storm sandy vote? How’s Puerto Rico doing? Fuck the repubs.

I'll speak on behalf of Super Storm Sandy and that vote because it's easy.  No one gives a shit about the south shore of Long Island, Queens and Brooklyn.  No one.

The local government failed us here as well as Texas but again, that bill was loaded with other crap too.  (it did pass)  The art of compromise is gone now Halifax, just like you mentioned.

We need to allow earmarks again.  What we thought was shady now seems like the better way of doing things IMO.

As far as the controller of the funds, I need to look up on him more, the funds are dwindling, something I thought I'd never see.
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

More about the bill.

I'll speak on behalf of Super Storm Sandy and that vote because it's easy.  No one gives a shit about the south shore of Long Island, Queens and Brooklyn.  No one.

The local government failed us here as well as Texas but again, that bill was loaded with other crap too.  (it did pass)  The art of compromise is gone now Halifax, just like you mentioned.

We need to allow earmarks again.  What we thought was shady now seems like the better way of doing things IMO.

As far as the controller of the funds, I need to look up on him more, the funds are dwindling, something I thought I'd never see.
    so why should we give a shit about houston? they allowed and continue to sllow building in flood plains...
    how about every other shithole gulf coast town rebuilt mulitple times or florids or the carolinas.
     fuck them all. move.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

More about the bill.

so why should we give a shit about houston? they allowed and continue to sllow building in flood plains...
    how about every other shithole gulf coast town rebuilt mulitple times or florids or the carolinas.
     fuck them all. move.

We could say the same thing about NY and the surrounding areas and they DID move out.

The govt did give people money to raise their houses.  NY Rising.  Those that didn't raise their houses when they go to sell you either A- have to raise the house to get a mortgage or B pay a hefty premium on flood insurance.

We need to help out everyone and rebuild better, not just throw money at the problem.
    Kat said:
    Let's name names.

PRESENT:

Who was missing? Too many, shameful. 

Democratic Members
    Zoe Lofgren California
    Sheila Jackson Lee Texas
    Karen Bass California
    Eric Swalwell California
    Ted Lieu California
    Sylvia R. Garcia Texas
    Joe Neguse Colorado
    Lucy McBath Georgia
    Greg Stanton Arizona
    Veronica Escobar Texas

Republican Membership
    Steve Chabot Ohio
    Louie Gohmer Texas
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Ken Buck Colorado
    John Ratcliffe Texas
    Martha Roby Alabama
    Matt Gaetz Florida
    Andy Biggs Arizona
    Debbie Lesko Arizona
    Ben Cline Virginia

Here's a thought- what if a company had this many people just not show up to work some day (or show and and hang out at the water cooler while a few others do the hard work) when something important was going on?  Would they all get to keep their job?  Would it take an outsider to make a comment about it?  Not only is this shameful because it dismisses the difficulties first responders are facing, but it's shameful because these people are supposed to represent their nation yet they get paid for not showing up for an important task at hand.  Sad.

They shouldn't have to beg... but a step in the right direction is still a step. 

"The House Judiciary Committee unanimously passed a bill which would permanently reauthorize the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund Wednesday, the day after comedian Jon Stewart gave impassioned testimony in support of the bill in video that quickly went viral.

The bill will now go to the floor for a full vote in the House of Representatives, where it is likely to pass. It's unclear whether Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will take up the bill in the Senate, although Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York said Wednesday that he was "imploring, pleading, even begging" McConnell to bring the bill to the floor as soon as it passes in the House."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-panel-passes-911-victims-fund-bill-a-day-after-jon-stewarts-emotional-testimony/
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat said:
    They shouldn't have to beg... but a step in the right direction is still a step. 

"The House Judiciary Committee unanimously passed a bill which would permanently reauthorize the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund Wednesday, the day after comedian Jon Stewart gave impassioned testimony in support of the bill in video that quickly went viral.

The bill will now go to the floor for a full vote in the House of Representatives, where it is likely to pass. It's unclear whether Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will take up the bill in the Senate, although Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York said Wednesday that he was "imploring, pleading, even begging" McConnell to bring the bill to the floor as soon as it passes in the House."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-panel-passes-911-victims-fund-bill-a-day-after-jon-stewarts-emotional-testimony/
    I've been trying to see rwhat is atually in the bill but can't find anything.

I want to see if anyone tacked other things to the bill to not make it pass i the house.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited June 2019
    Kat said:

I want to see if anyone tacked other things to the bill to not make it pass i the house.
    Here’s the history with links. I believe today’s vote was to reauthorize it and fund it. It’s already “in effect” until 2090. And talk about hypocrisy and adding riders? Both sides are not the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Zadroga_9/11_Health_and_Compensation_Act
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    but this part wasnt......

The act was reauthorized in 2015 for 90 years. But a portion of the law — the Victim Compensation Fund — was only funded for five years, through the end of 2020.  The fund aimed to provide necessary financial support for the thousands who suffered serious medical issues, including a spate of cancer diagnoses, after the 2001 attacks.

Kat said:

Here’s the history with links. I believe today’s vote was to reauthorize it and fund it. It’s already “in effect” until 2090. And talk about hypocrisy and adding riders? Both sides are not the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Zadroga_9/11_Health_and_Compensation_Act
    I'm looking for the Victims act like @mickeyrat mentions.  It is quite different than the Zadroga act.

mickeyrat said:
    but this part wasnt......

The act was reauthorized in 2015 for 90 years. But a portion of the law — the Victim Compensation Fund — was only funded for five years, through the end of 2020.  The fund aimed to provide necessary financial support for the thousands who suffered serious medical issues, including a spate of cancer diagnoses, after the 2001 attacks.

Yes, that is what I want to see if people tack things on.