Red Lightning Bolt Question - can you tell the discs apart?

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
edited June 2019 in The Porch
Blast from the past!
I can't remember if there is any way to tell the difference between the original red LB discs and the repressed red LB discs. I know the represses came in a sleeve only, but was there actually a way to tell them apart by comparing the records themselves? Were the represses marked in the dead wax somehow?
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited June 2019
    Didn't the fixed pressing have like a #2 in the deadwax or something? I assume whatever designates the second black pressing, covers the red pressing as well. But it was in the deadwax.

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Looks like Discogs has no help on this one.
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    Roman numeral “II” on fixed repress
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Thanks!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Now I have to check...
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The represses have the roman numerals "II" or "III" in the dead wax on side A and "II" on side B.
    Anyone know if any represses ever got into official packaging? Or were 100% of them only in paper sleeves?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    Anyone know if any represses ever got into official packaging? Or were 100% of them only in paper sleeves?
    The Shadow knows....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Shadow knows....

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    PJ_Soul said:
    AFAIK, the repress was only issued in a generic white sleeve. Someone with more information about the repressing may know more however.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    I got a red LB in the mystery vinyl sale. Never even bothered to find out how it played as I had the black and the repress. I assumed they wouldnt knowingly send out bad copies.
    FR181798 said:
    I got a red LB in the mystery vinyl sale. Never even bothered to find out how it played as I had the black and the repress. I assumed they wouldnt knowingly send out bad copies.
    I also got one in that mystery sale, and it is the reason I've been asking. I don't really have as much faith as you do about it not being a bad copy, lol. The problem is that I don't really want to play it to find out either, since I think I might sell it, and would rather keep it mint (minus the fact that I had to open it so see if it's red). I've not had a chance yet to look at the deadwax on it and see if it's got the II on it. I'll try and remember to do that tonight.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:
    I also got one in that mystery sale, and it is the reason I've been asking. I don't really have as much faith as you do about it not being a bad copy, lol. The problem is that I don't really want to play it to find out either, since I think I might sell it, and would rather keep it mint (minus the fact that I had to open it so see if it's red). I've not had a chance yet to look at the deadwax on it and see if it's got the II on it. I'll try and remember to do that tonight.

You actually *want* to remove the shrinkwrap.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

You actually *want* to remove the shrinkwrap.
    What do you mean? As opposed to just slicing it up one side to take a peek inside and not totally removing the shrink wrap? I can't recall which I did right now (have still forgotten to check the deadwax, and actually if I recall this album came in one of those bag-type outer wraps, not actual shrinkwrap), but are you saying there is generally something wrong with leaving shrinkwrap on?
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    I think they're assuming its sealed, saying you should crack it open and spin it. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
    edited June 2019
    PSUS2H said:
    I think they're assuming its sealed, saying you should crack it open and spin it. 
    If it was an album I liked, I totally would keep it. But I have a black one too, to keep the collection complete... and I can't even see myself spinning that one, let alone the red one. 

I finally remembered to check the deadwax. No II on it. Orginal disc in there. 
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    If you are careful when you put the disc on the spindle no one would know whether you played it or not but really if I was buying I think Id be fine if someone had played it a couple of times to check it was good.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    FR181798 said:
    If you are careful when you put the disc on the spindle no one would know whether you played it or not but really if I was buying I think Id be fine if someone had played it a couple of times to check it was good.
    Red=collectors item
    edited June 2019
    FR181798 said:
    Red=collectors item
    We know, but the LB original red is a special case. Would collectors really not want it spun by the seller? If it's not, then they have no idea if they are buying a completely fucked up copy. Is it not being played more important?? I would like to know what the best thing to do is.
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:
    Red=collectors item
    We know, but the LB original red is a special case. Would collectors really not want it spun by the seller? If it's not, then they have no idea if they are buying a completely fucked up copy. Is it not being played more important?? I would like to know what the best thing to do is.
    Enjoy the LP, playing it a handful of times isnt going to be a concern, if it is the buyer can move along.  Most buyers wont care, as long as it isnt beat to hell. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
    edited June 2019
    PSUS2H said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:
    Red=collectors item
    Enjoy the LP, playing it a handful of times isnt going to be a concern, if it is the buyer can move along.  Most buyers wont care, as long as it isnt beat to hell. 
    I absolutely hate the album, so I'm definitely not going to be enjoying anything, lol. I just don't want to sell a buyer a fucked up record... but also don't want to reduce the value of it by playing it. So trying to decide which is preferable. I suppose giving it one spin (on mute :lol: ), and letting buyers know it is or isn't fucked up. Of course, if I don't spin it, and it is fucked up, I guess NOT spinning it first would be most beneficial to me, har har.
    Send it to me and I'll test it! LOL 

I hear ya though, I doubt you'll have any issues, and if you're flexible with the buyer on a return then you shouldnt have much to be concerned about.