** SWEDISH NATIONAL DAY (June 6th) **

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited June 2019 in A Moving Train

Sweden - Among the 5-6 greatest countries to live in, according to most statistics - celebrates it's National Day today!

No one in Sweden really celebrates it though. Because we don't really care. But we do get a day off work. But only since 2005. Because we don't really care. We're a Humanitarian Superpower founded on sound Social Democratic values - "we before me" - who needs nationalism?

We have hunks though:

And his brother:

Sadly we are a monarchy:

Three of the best Bond girls:

We have some right winged racism-problems right now

But keep on scrolling - we make awesome films

Zlatan:

Amazing SAAB before GM motors fucked it up

Still have VOLVO though

IKEA:

Bruce loves Ullevi Arena in my city of Gothenburg - Pearl Jam refuses to play it though:

https://youtu.be/r8qpTL1wxGQ

PEARL JAM GOTHENBURG SWEDEN 2020 - LETS GO!

Globe Arena in Stockholm works too:
https://youtu.be/ihRS529A614
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
Tagged:

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    what is significant about the date chosen?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    what is significant about the date chosen?
    I think it was the date an old king named Gustav Vasa became king and also the date Denmark, Sweden and Norway split into three separate countries from having been in some kind of union.

Not to exciting. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Nationalism. 

...to use a millennial's term, meh.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    No one in Sweden really celebrates it "because we don't really care," but hey, here's a post about it anyway. Odd.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Happy day off work, then!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If you are going to have a holiday no one cares about...at least put it on a Friday or Monday.  That's what we did with Victoria Day ... no one cares about some dead Queen in Canada (most of us don't) ... so the holiday is usually referred to as May 2-4 weekend and is our unofficial start to summer, the campgrounds are full, the beer stores are extra busy and the BBQing kicks in full steam...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So - y’all picked D day as your national holiday. Is it tradition for you to sit in lawn chairs while you watch others work?  ;)

hippiemom = goodness
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    So - y’all picked D day as your national holiday. Is it tradition for you to sit in lawn chairs while you watch others work?  ;)

That was a good one Cincy!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Pizza scissors sharpening day?
    Jason P said:
    Pizza scissors sharpening day?
    "It's like 10.000 scissors when all you need is a knife"
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    psychotherapy
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

go figure....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    psychotherapy
    Yes ofc! Thank you. How could I forget.

I don't know if it's Ingmar Bergmans pinnacle, but it is def one of his most beloved films. Inspired by Freud and psychoanalysis.:

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Can not BELIEVE you forgot this guy?!?
    Image result for swedish chef
    Or these...
    Image result for swedish fish
    Happy Sweden day!
    Or these...
    Image result for swedish fish
    Only ate the liquorage kind (before stopping eating gelatin) 

Ours doesn't have "Swedish" written on them though:

And this guy!
    DETROIT MI - NOVEMBER 19  Nicklas Lidstrom 5 of the Detroit Red Wings waits for a faceoff in a game against the Minnesota Wild on November 19 2010 at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit Michigan The Wild defeated the Wings 4-3 in overtime Photo by Clau
    And this guy!
    DETROIT MI - NOVEMBER 19  Nicklas Lidstrom 5 of the Detroit Red Wings waits for a faceoff in a game against the Minnesota Wild on November 19 2010 at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit Michigan The Wild defeated the Wings 4-3 in overtime Photo by Clau
    Nicklas?
    And this guy!
    Niklas Lidstrom for everyone.

And Forsberg and Naslund and King Henry and Alfredson..
    And this guy!

And Mats "Sudden" Sundin:

And this guy!
    Nicklas?
    Yes, he and Forsberg were two of my favs in hockey during their time.
    And this guy!
    Nicklas?
    Yes, he and Forsberg were two of my favs in hockey during their time.
    Studied film with a woman who said she made out with Foppa Forsberg when they were teens. Haha. But yes. I think Foppa would win here if we had to decide on "our most beloved hockey player"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Nationalism. 

Fascinating!  A three team sport using a soccer ball.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    Nationalism. 

There is no sport that uses a soccer ball. 

j/k ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    Nationalism. 

There is no sport that uses a soccer ball. 

j/k ;)

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    brianlux said:
    Nationalism. 

guy in green is a goalie. those prima donna insist on different uniforms.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    And this guy!

And Mats "Sudden" Sundin:

I forgot about Sundin!  He was good too!!!