Anyone with $225K want a 1959 Les Paul?

This thing is a beauty...I think Elderly listed it a year or two ago as well, on consignment so someone with a collection and/or musician has had this one for a while. SN is 9 0422. Back of head stock marked with a "2" so was this one a factory second? Also original case(new handle)...I need to win the lottery:

"Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Cool guitar. They have a 1963 Gibson Explorer to go with it for $218,000 too.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Is the guitar made of material that doesn't exist anymore?  Like a Stradivarius?

Unless someone famous played it I find it hard to believe that the guitar can't be replicated.
    Replicas exist for late 50's Gibson. Gibson makes VOS (Vintage Original Spec) versions of some models. Nice guitars and expensive. 

However, for the well monied collectors, nothing is better than the genuine article. 

There aren't many of these from that era that survived without extensive damage or modification so the rarity drives up the price. 

Too rich for my blood, though.
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    That is one sweet LP. Love the horizontal grain compared to the flame tops. So glad i have a LP not exactly a 1959 but not many can afford this baby
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
    dudeman said:
    Replicas exist for late 50's Gibson. Gibson makes VOS (Vintage Original Spec) versions of some models. Nice guitars and expensive. 

However, for the well monied collectors, nothing is better than the genuine article. 

There aren't many of these from that era that survived without extensive damage or modification so the rarity drives up the price. 

Too rich for my blood, though.
    Is there a difference in the sound of a VOS to an OG?
    Not to me, but if I paid for an original, I'd tell myself there was a huge difference. 

With amps, effects and modeling being what they are today, one could make just about any guitar sound like just about any other guitar. Amazing capabilities in this era of gear.

Still, there are some people who are collectors and nothing less than the real deal will do.
    dudeman said:
    Not to me, but if I paid for an original, I'd tell myself there was a huge difference. 

With amps, effects and modeling being what they are today, one could make just about any guitar sound like just about any other guitar. Amazing capabilities in this era of gear.

Still, there are some people who are collectors and nothing less than the real deal will do.
    If I had the cash to burn then I totally would.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I knew I guy in high school who found an immaculate '59 Les Paul Jr at a yard sale for $50.  Good guy and a fine player as well- I'm glad he scored.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    brianlux said:
    I knew I guy in high school who found an immaculate '59 Les Paul Jr at a yard sale for $50.  Good guy and a fine player as well- I'm glad he scored.
    What year was that? Did he keep it or sell it?

PS If I ever hit a big lotto payday you better believe one of the things I would waste my money on is a 59 Les Paul and probably a 59 Strat. Hell I would probably buy a 1959 Corvette or Shelby Cobra just to store the guitars in. ;)
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
    The same store has a '63 Gibson Explorer for $218,000. 

That's a nice pair of guitars for just under half a million dollars. 
  • pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    One of the best guitar stores in the world...
    pulling69 said:
    Agreed. I go there as often as I can. I just bought a new Strat from them. Have to pick it up this week. 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    dudeman said:
    pulling69 said:
    Agreed. I go there as often as I can. I just bought a new Strat from them. Have to pick it up this week. 
    Agreed as well!  It nice living so close to them.  They've worked on a couple of bass guitars for me.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Yeah man! I had their repair shop do a fretless conversion on a bass about 10 years ago. Scott did a totally pro job.

I can't speak highly enough about them.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    WOW! Unreal guitar. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    My friend has this 52 Les Paul. His step dad got it at a yard sale for $300 probably 15-20 years ago. 

I wonder if that bridge/tailpiece was stock. 

If that guitar is in factory condition and is, in fact a '52 Les Paul, it's likely worth more than the house it's hanging in. 

Killer find! Thanks!