Options

Pearl Jam turned my girl and I into concert "snobs"

13»

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I've been disappointed at some other bands' concerts, but I don't relate that to Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 899
    Sucks to see PJ compared to the likes of DMB and Phish. 

That’s just not true. All three of those bands bring something different to the table and all have followings for a reason.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    RE Phish shows
    im going to my first one in Toronto next month. What is the poster scene like at their shows? Do I need to get there early to grab one?
    Let us know what you think of the show.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    RE Phish shows
    im going to my first one in Toronto next month. What is the poster scene like at their shows? Do I need to get there early to grab one?

Will do. I love Jam bands so it should be a blast.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,016
    RE Phish shows

Fingers on a chalkboard when they sing...
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    RE Phish shows

Or down to earth...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    RE Phish shows

Ive noticed from watching some videos that the vocals are not their strongest area,

but then again, look at Dylan, & Young.

• Options
    RE Phish shows

Ive noticed from watching some videos that the vocals are not their strongest area,

but then again, look at Dylan, & Young.

Exactly, fingers on a chalk board.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    jeffbr said:
    I think the OP makes a good point about the end-to-end experience influencing his opinion. And I agree with that. For me, sometimes that supercedes the band itself. Looking back at some of my favorite or most memorable concert experiences, almost all of them seem to have been at the Gorge. PJ, DMB, Petty, Roger Waters, Steely Dan, Soundgarden, etc... We'd camp, spend hours together outside the show, have an amazing time after the show, sleep out under the stars. Incredible experiences. Some of my other favorite experiences had to do with seeing a band in a smaller venue and sharing the experience with those around me. Some Showbox shows that stick out are PJ, Soundgarden (as Nudedragons), Screaming Trees, etc...  So for me, it seems to be as much about the venue and experience, as it is about the band. PJ shows are great, but so are a lot of other bands for me.

Same... seeing a Perfect Circle at Red Rocks last fall was a bucket list item for me. The show itself was good, not great, but the venue made it one of my  all time favoriteshows.

Same can be said for Pearl Jam at Made in America or the Global Citizen fest. GCF was a little weak setlist wise, but seeing them play in Central Park, with the skyline behind us only feet from Strawberry Fields was REALLY cool.

@ OP: RE: the snob thing... I hear what you're saying, but there are far too many great acts out there that I don't think should be dismissed because of what or who they aren't, IMO.

Pearl Jam is one of the greatest live acts today, but to hold other bands up to the bar that they've set is expecting a bit much.

Just my $0.02.

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    jeffbr said:
    I think the OP makes a good point about the end-to-end experience influencing his opinion. And I agree with that. For me, sometimes that supercedes the band itself. Looking back at some of my favorite or most memorable concert experiences, almost all of them seem to have been at the Gorge. PJ, DMB, Petty, Roger Waters, Steely Dan, Soundgarden, etc... We'd camp, spend hours together outside the show, have an amazing time after the show, sleep out under the stars. Incredible experiences. Some of my other favorite experiences had to do with seeing a band in a smaller venue and sharing the experience with those around me. Some Showbox shows that stick out are PJ, Soundgarden (as Nudedragons), Screaming Trees, etc...  So for me, it seems to be as much about the venue and experience, as it is about the band. PJ shows are great, but so are a lot of other bands for me.

Same... seeing a Perfect Circle at Red Rocks last fall was a bucket list item for me. The show itself was good, not great, but the venue made it one of my  all time favoriteshows.

Same can be said for Pearl Jam at Made in America or the Global Citizen fest. GCF was a little weak setlist wise, but seeing them play in Central Park, with the skyline behind us only feet from Strawberry Fields was REALLY cool.

@ OP: RE: the snob thing... I hear what you're saying, but there are far too many great acts out there that I don't think should be dismissed because of what or who they aren't, IMO.

Pearl Jam is one of the greatest live acts today, but to hold other bands up to the bar that they've set is expecting a bit much.

Just my $0.02.

Since I fucked it up at the '07 Lolla, GCF was technically my first show.  Have a good NYPD friend who's also a PJ fan and offered his services to go PJ/celebrity sightseeing since the backstage area was pretty much connected to a precinct in Central Park and he entered the venue through there.  I declined because it didn't feel right to me to use a cop to my advantage and long story short, he got a picture with EV, and ended-up in that space between the stage and the rail for the show, and I was... well, not as close.  Best part about GCF though, was once Beyonce was done performing, us PJ fans all of a sudden moved forward... by a lot!

Saw APC two years ago, pretty cool show.  Wasn't dismissing anything, like I said above, I just get somewhat disappointed at the end, and only with some bands.  Doesn't stop me from seeing them again though.
  • Options
    I get the snob part.  I got spoiled with great seats or getting GA from the 10club.  Nothing beats getting great seats to a sold out show and being close enough to enjoy it.

I only purchase aisle seats or GA for future shows...

Snob elitist concert goer now, yes.
    Ugh! Those non-aisle-seats-having peasants!  I don't know if it's always been a thing with TM, but when I bought tickets to Metallica's S&M2, noticed they offered aisle seats as its own tier, and at a higher price. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    jeffbr said:

Just my $0.02.

Since I fucked it up at the '07 Lolla, GCF was technically my first show.  Have a good NYPD friend who's also a PJ fan and offered his services to go PJ/celebrity sightseeing since the backstage area was pretty much connected to a precinct in Central Park and he entered the venue through there.  I declined because it didn't feel right to me to use a cop to my advantage and long story short, he got a picture with EV, and ended-up in that space between the stage and the rail for the show, and I was... well, not as close.  Best part about GCF though, was once Beyonce was done performing, us PJ fans all of a sudden moved forward... by a lot!

Saw APC two years ago, pretty cool show.  Wasn't dismissing anything, like I said above, I just get somewhat disappointed at the end, and only with some bands.  Doesn't stop me from seeing them again though.
    My good friend recently retired from the NYPD and back in 2003 we met up with two of his coworkers before one of the shows at MSG.  They also had tickets to the show that night but they also had part time jobs working at the garden as security.  They told us they were going try and use their MSG employee IDs to get back stage and meet the band before the show.  We later found out that they made it through multiple layers of security before they were snagged by the band’s private security and got tossed out.  They ended up getting fired from their jobs at the Garden over it.    :(
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    jeffbr said:

Just my $0.02.

My good friend recently retired from the NYPD and back in 2003 we met up with two of his coworkers before one of the shows at MSG.  They also had tickets to the show that night but they also had part time jobs working at the garden as security.  They told us they were going try and use their MSG employee IDs to get back stage and meet the band before the show.  We later found out that they made it through multiple layers of security before they were snagged by the band’s private security and got tossed out.  They ended up getting fired from their jobs at the Garden over it.    :(
    Damn. Yea, on top of it not feeling right, I was also afraid that he'll get in trouble.  Even though I don't think he had intentions to come near/meet anyone (even though he obviously got lucky with EV), and was just there to look, it's still risky business.  He kept saying it will be okay, but in my head, it was easy to look normal since he was alone, it would look ridiculous if my girl and I took him up on the offer and all three of us were wandering around backstage and the precinct.  As much as I think it would've been awesome to get a glimpse of my heroes and different stars up-close, I still declined. Was very tempted though, not going to lie. 
  • Options
    i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:
    I’ve been equally blown away by almost every other band I’ve ever seen. 
    I would love to see a full list of bands you have seen and which ones are equal to Pearl Jam. I am not saying this to call you out as wrong but would love to see what you think compares. Pearl Jam are at the top imo right now and really can not think of much out there that compares. 
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Nick Cave was probably the single greatest live performance I have ever seen, Queens being a close second.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    jeffbr said:

Just my $0.02.

HA!  Good for them.  Glad they got fired.

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    on2legs said:
    jeffbr said:

Just my $0.02.

I ran into one of the guys while he was working a post years later and I brought it up to him.  And I immediately regretted it because he got such a sad look on his face and told me how he missed the job working at the Garden.  I told him he flew too close the sun.  ;)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    I get the snob part.  I got spoiled with great seats or getting GA from the 10club.  Nothing beats getting great seats to a sold out show and being close enough to enjoy it.

I only purchase aisle seats or GA for future shows...

Snob elitist concert goer now, yes.
    Ugh! Those non-aisle-seats-having peasants!  I don't know if it's always been a thing with TM, but when I bought tickets to Metallica's S&M2, noticed they offered aisle seats as its own tier, and at a higher price. 
    That's a fairly recent phenomenon for Ticketmaster/live nation, roughly 2 years adding 20 bucks on to seats that are labeled "aisle seats", started doing it with the aisle seat and the one next to it, now they tend to go 4 seats in...such a damn scam.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Yeah, make me pay a $20 premium for my ticket so EVERYONE else in the fucking aisle can walk in & out past me a thousand times during the show.  Some real marketing genius at work there. :weary:
  • Options
    Yeah, make me pay a $20 premium for my ticket so EVERYONE else in the fucking aisle can walk in & out past me a thousand times during the show.  Some real marketing genius at work there. :weary:
    I'll pay it.  I like the aisles.

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    jeffbr said:

Just my $0.02.

I ran into one of the guys while he was working a post years later and I brought it up to him.  And I immediately regretted it because he got such a sad look on his face and told me how he missed the job working at the Garden.  I told him he flew too close the sun.  ;)
    Yes they did!
  • Options
    I think the aisles are attractive to people who like going in and out without getting their bellybuttons poked by someone's ponytail. Also, I'm 5'7" and the times I've been in an aisle seat, the benefits of having the room to scoot left and right when fucking Chewbacca is in front of me, outweighs the inconvenience of dealing with people going in and out. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Aisle seats are great for either seeing around Chewbacca, or someone who feels the need to go live or record the whole show and hold their phones up and in my line of sight instead of blocking their own stupid face. 
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • Options
    I think the aisles are attractive to people who like going in and out without getting their bellybuttons poked by someone's ponytail. Also, I'm 5'7" and the times I've been in an aisle seat, the benefits of having the room to scoot left and right when fucking Chewbacca is in front of me, outweighs the inconvenience of dealing with people going in and out. 
    Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoy an aisle seat.  I'm not paying an extra $20 for it though simply because it's an aisle seat.