Options

Pearl Jam turned my girl and I into concert "snobs"

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    Hi! said:
    And the Bulls traded for Rodman...Not sure if that’s a good example, but he filled a major void left by Grant. Talk about teams hating each other, John Sally, Buddha Edwards, Rodman on the 95 -96 Bulls, lol.
    Yes. Don’t forget the Pistons walking off the court early without congratulating the Bulls when they finally beat them in the playoffs.  But Rodman seemed to get past all that once he was on the Bulls.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    And the Bulls traded for Rodman...Not sure if that’s a good example, but he filled a major void left by Grant. Talk about teams hating each other, John Sally, Buddha Edwards, Rodman on the 95 -96 Bulls, lol.
    Yes. Don’t forget the Pistons walking off the court early without congratulating the Bulls when they finally beat them in the playoffs.  But Rodman seemed to get past all that once he was on the Bulls.  
    It would be interesting to know how close they were off the court, it always seemed like they all just kept their distance from each other, but when on the court they were locked in, all business.
    Rodman diving for loose balls, and shooting an occasional 3(lol), ahhh, memories  Oh, and when he would get tangled up with Malone at like half court and they would fall all over each other and all the action is on the other end, fuck, lol.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    A Pearl Jam show is like a World Series game or a Super Bowl. Very few things can realistically compare to that, just on the size (and now relative rarity of) of the shows and the buzz of the crowds and the merch overkill. But other concerts still feel like playoff games to me. I wouldn't go to shows unless I was really into a band anyway. I can easily pick shows by 10-15 other bands that merit competing for space at the top of the list of my favorite shows ever - my top ten shows aren't all PJ shows.
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    It would be interesting to know how close they were off the court, it always seemed like they all just kept their distance from each other, but when on the court they were locked in, all business.
    Rodman diving for loose balls, and shooting an occasional 3(lol), ahhh, memories  Oh, and when he would get tangled up with Malone at like half court and they would fall all over each other and all the action is on the other end, fuck, lol.
    I guess there’s no real way to know, but I don’t think it’s much different from today. I think social media and players having more control over their careers contributes to a perception that they like each other more now than they did in the past.  For example... the Warriors fought Chris Paul tooth and nail in the 2nd round and would have loved to throw him off a bridge.  But if they needed a point guard next season and he was available I’m pretty sure they would find a way to live with each other.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    I guess there’s no real way to know, but I don’t think it’s much different from today. I think social media and players having more control over their careers contributes to a perception that they like each other more now than they did in the past.  For example... the Warriors fought Chris Paul tooth and nail in the 2nd round and would have loved to throw him off a bridge.  But if they needed a point guard next season and he was available I’m pretty sure they would find a way to live with each other.  
    Oh, no doubt. All about filling that spot to get that championship, obviously. Thousands of examples of teams putting shit aside to for the greater good. Shaq, Kobe for example.I honestly don’t follow the NBA like I used to so I can only relate to 90’s early/mid 2000 references, lol.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    There’s a shit ton of live acts out there that are far more unpredictable than Pj.  PJ are great and that’s why we’re all here, but you selling yourself short if you don’t get a chance to see some of the emerging artists do their thing these days, many of them are just fantastic live acts and you won’t roll your eyes at the tambourine give away or the swinging globe things that they’ve had for 7 years.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    There’s a shit ton of live acts out there that are far more unpredictable than Pj.  PJ are great and that’s why we’re all here, but you selling yourself short if you don’t get a chance to see some of the emerging artists do their thing these days, many of them are just fantastic live acts and you won’t roll your eyes at the tambourine give away or the swinging globe things that they’ve had for 7 years.
    Like who? 
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    It’s like my relationship with the NBA. Bron, Kobe, Curry, are amazing, but it will never be as good as following/watching Jordan was for me. 
    The physicality and competitiveness of the NBA during the Jordan era is probably what I like the most. Players/rivals just legit hated each other. None of this teaming-up stuff 
    Barkley, Drexler, & Pippen in Houston?
    Is this Durant's burner account? I have nothing against you joining the Warriors, man. You do you boo boo
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    PJNB said:
    Like who? 
    Phish and dmb for sure. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    It’s like my relationship with the NBA. Bron, Kobe, Curry, are amazing, but it will never be as good as following/watching Jordan was for me. 
    The physicality and competitiveness of the NBA during the Jordan era is probably what I like the most. Players/rivals just legit hated each other. None of this teaming-up stuff 
    Barkley, Drexler, & Pippen in Houston?
    Is this Durant's burner account? I have nothing against you joining the Warriors, man. You do you boo boo
    Lol

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    Barkley, Drexler, & Pippen in Houston

All 3 never played together.

Pippen arrived for his one season after Drexler retired.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited May 2019
    Poncier said:
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:

Man, I forgot about all of this. Must have happened once all these guys were past their prime.
    (Edit: What's this thread about again????....(scrolls back)...oh, right...concert snobs).
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Like who? 
    Phish and dmb for sure. 
    Agree with those for sure. That is far from a shit ton though. I would say there is a shit ton that do not do what Pearl Jam and other bands like them do with there set and we need more of it. Also I agree that you are selling yourself short if all you see is Pearl Jam. 

Mcrguff I bet you were not rolling your eyes when Eddie tossed you a tambo! I told Jess and she just shook her head in amazement lol. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:

My bad.  Swap him out for Hakeem. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Like who? 
    Phish and dmb for sure. 
    Those are actually really good examples. I’m just a casual DMB fan, but totally respect his talents and catalogue of music. I could see myself really enjoying one of his shows. That’s a band I’ve always wanted to see but haven’t. 
    I actually have never listened to Phish, but interestingly enough Treys new Album came across my recommended music list on my iTunes account, so I gave it a listen and was blown away. So yeah I have a lot of catching up to do, lol. That’s really exciting for me and again I would totally dig a Phish or Trey show for sure. 
    Sometimes I wonder if not being a musician or totally understanding the song writing process  might be why I don’t always connect with some artists. I’m sure someone who understands music making and reading music makes it easier to connect with certain artists.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Like who? 
    Phish and dmb for sure. 
    Agree with those for sure. That is far from a shit ton though. I would say there is a shit ton that do not do what Pearl Jam and other bands like them do with there set and we need more of it. Also I agree that you are selling yourself short if all you see is Pearl Jam. 

Mcrguff I bet you were not rolling your eyes when Eddie tossed you a tambo! I told Jess and she just shook her head in amazement lol. 
    Totally agree there isn’t a shit ton that I can think of.   It a funny because if you compare a dmb setlist to a pj setlist you ll realize they really don’t switch it up that much. 
    Ed tossed me a tambourine?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    Reckon being more emotionally invested in and knowledgeable about the music means PJ shows are more likely to reach that "next level" for people on here than other bands which is natural. Definitely is snobbery for me though as you're not only selling other bands short you're not acknowledging that PJ are human and have off nights as well. Have only seen them 9 times but it's enough to compare and contrast and cop on that some gigs reached you on a higher plane than others. Also gigs that hit you in the feels don't necessarily hit everyone else like that for various reasons. PJ does have that "best gig I've ever seen" status but there are definitely a few others that have reached that higher level for me: Tool, Muse, Bryan Adams, Blink 182, Shihad, GNR, VR, Coldplay, Rage and ACDC off the top of my head. Again depends on the form of the band on the night, your love for the band and your own mood on the night as well as a couple of external uncontrollable like crowd behaviour, weather etc. Just be happy you've seen enough PJ gigs at that level instead of being dismissive of other bands' ability to reach it. Because they can. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Like who? 
    Phish and dmb for sure. 

Totally agree there isn’t a shit ton that I can think of.   It a funny because if you compare a dmb setlist to a pj setlist you ll realize they really don’t switch it up that much. 
    Ed tossed me a tambourine?
    Maybe I am mixing it up with the pic you got lol. 
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    edited May 2019
    I think the key to the OP is the full experience.  Starting with pre-tour rumors, to ticket aquisition and aggravation  and then elation.  Then getting there, preparty, merch lines, spares....all leading to the venue opening to the fans.  What next?  Merch, restroom, food, chill?  Then what are they going to play, how will Ed make it a local flavored show?  Then the amazing show, then all the post-show stuff.

Pearl Jam is an experience from start to finish with every show,  it is communal for many of us,  and that experience is unmatched iny concert career.  I am sure there are others that envoke this, I am just no part of it in any of te other bands I have seen.

Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    RE Phish shows
    im going to my first one in Toronto next month. What is the poster scene like at their shows? Do I need to get there early to grab one?
  • Options
    andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,962
    edited May 2019
    RE Phish shows
    im going to my first one in Toronto next month. What is the poster scene like at their shows? Do I need to get there early to grab one?
    I've never seen them, but the poster scene is full on the same as PJ.  Multiple groups on FB, prints selling for 5x and more on ebay before the show has even finished, etc especially if it is a Pollock or Welker
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    RE Phish shows
    Lining up for a Phish poster is like  lining up for GA to A PJ show.  Good luck with that.

If it's a Pollock print forget it.  The Wooks are a different breed.
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Thanks guys. Canada 🇨🇦 shows might be a bit more relaxed from previous experience and other bands. I might stand a better chance.
  • Options
    reedrothchildreedrothchild Posts: 538
    RE Phish shows
    Lining up for a Phish poster is like  lining up for GA to A PJ show.  Good luck with that.

If it's a Pollock print forget it.  The Wooks are a different breed.

This is pretty accurate.  I mean in the Phish fanbase people will call you a n00b even if you have 100+ shows under your belt.

"What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    Reckon being more emotionally invested in and knowledgeable about the music means PJ shows are more likely to reach that "next level" for people on here than other bands which is natural. Definitely is snobbery for me though as you're not only selling other bands short you're not acknowledging that PJ are human and have off nights as well. Have only seen them 9 times but it's enough to compare and contrast and cop on that some gigs reached you on a higher plane than others. Also gigs that hit you in the feels don't necessarily hit everyone else like that for various reasons. PJ does have that "best gig I've ever seen" status but there are definitely a few others that have reached that higher level for me: Tool, Muse, Bryan Adams, Blink 182, Shihad, GNR, VR, Coldplay, Rage and ACDC off the top of my head. Again depends on the form of the band on the night, your love for the band and your own mood on the night as well as a couple of external uncontrollable like crowd behaviour, weather etc. Just be happy you've seen enough PJ gigs at that level instead of being dismissive of other bands' ability to reach it. Because they can. 
    I think you read too deep into my post. I am extremely happy that I've seen PJ gigs, and not being dismissive of other bands. I walk into every show with a clean slate, and with no judgement of whoever is playing. If the price is right, I would even go to see bands I that sucked the last time I saw them. The judgement, based on my level of satisfaction,  comes afterwards. I used PJ as an example, but there are other bands that give me the same high during shows. However, as for the whole experience, I don't think any other bands I've seen compare to PJ. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    hrd2imgn said:
    I think the key to the OP is the full experience.  Starting with pre-tour rumors, to ticket aquisition and aggravation  and then elation.  Then getting there, preparty, merch lines, spares....all leading to the venue opening to the fans.  What next?  Merch, restroom, food, chill?  Then what are they going to play, how will Ed make it a local flavored show?  Then the amazing show, then all the post-show stuff.

Pearl Jam is an experience from start to finish with every show,  it is communal for many of us,  and that experience is unmatched iny concert career.  I am sure there are others that envoke this, I am just no part of it in any of te other bands I have seen.

Exactly. With emphasis on the show itself.  I've only been to seven PJ shows, but I've never seen a lame crowd at a PJ show.  I've seen some bands try to get the crowd going, and the crowd goes mild...

It's a very sad sight to see. 
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    Sucks to see PJ compared to the likes of DMB and Phish. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Sucks to see PJ compared to the likes of DMB and Phish. 
    Well, at least the latter 2 actually tour.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I think the OP makes a good point about the end-to-end experience influencing his opinion. And I agree with that. For me, sometimes that supercedes the band itself. Looking back at some of my favorite or most memorable concert experiences, almost all of them seem to have been at the Gorge. PJ, DMB, Petty, Roger Waters, Steely Dan, Soundgarden, etc... We'd camp, spend hours together outside the show, have an amazing time after the show, sleep out under the stars. Incredible experiences. Some of my other favorite experiences had to do with seeing a band in a smaller venue and sharing the experience with those around me. Some Showbox shows that stick out are PJ, Soundgarden (as Nudedragons), Screaming Trees, etc...  So for me, it seems to be as much about the venue and experience, as it is about the band. PJ shows are great, but so are a lot of other bands for me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    I get the snob part.  I got spoiled with great seats or getting GA from the 10club.  Nothing beats getting great seats to a sold out show and being close enough to enjoy it.

I only purchase aisle seats or GA for future shows...

Snob elitist concert goer now, yes.