Pearl Jam turned my girl and I into concert "snobs"

crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
edited May 2019 in The Porch
Background:

My girl and I go to a ton of shows, and it's been kind of our thing to do for six years now after leaving Hawaii. I first saw PJ in 2007 (Lolla Chicago), and my dumb-ass got too drunk to remember basically anything.  Because of deployments and just not having the money to travel from Hawaii, I never got the chance to see them again until GCF after we moved to the East coast. It was our first PJ show together and we've been to six since. 

What happened:

We went to a show last night and what I never thought could happen, finally happened... During the drive back I asked what she thought of the show. She said, "It was good, but I don't want to seem snobby... We've just been to so much great shows that it's a little difficult to be blown away by shows that's not like, for example, Pearl Jam." I said, "Holy shit! I was thinking the same thing". Pearl Jam has kind of made us a little bit harder to please when it comes to concerts. We went on and listed maybe Metallica, Rush, and Tool being in the rearviewmirror for second. Then we talked about how going to PJ shows is a whole experience from the moment you walk-up to the venue, maybe at the pre-party, the people you meet, old friends you see, the show itself, until the end of the shows. Besides the top-notch performance, the energy from the crowd is also significantly higher. For example, this past show in Boston... I jumped around like an idiot and had many you're-licking-Sydney's-air-guitar type moments from the movie "I Love You Man"  with the group of guys and gals next to me who I didn't even know (what's up section B2, Row 1, seats 1 through 6?!). No I didn't lick anyone's air guitar, but you get my point. You just don't get that type of camaraderie at any other shows. Not the ones we've been to at least. 

I'm going to say it is a good problem to have and I am thankful for the band and for you my fellow PJ fans for turning us into snobs! Ready for the next!

Post edited by crookedcross on

Comments

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Nothing beats a Pearl Jam show, that's for sure!
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Nothing has or ever will compare to PJ music or concert for me. I like lots of other music, gone to lots of shows, it’s never the same. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

It’s like my relationship with the NBA. Bron, Kobe, Curry, are amazing, but it will never be as good as following/watching Jordan was for me. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    What’s a “Pearl Jam”? Do they make music anymore? Tour in the US?

kidding aside I know what you mean. But I also enjoy Cage the elephant, Muse, jack white and a few others. Cage and muse could get to PJ status if Muse toured more in the US and if Cage is given more time 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 321
    What’s a “Pearl Jam”? Do they make music anymore? Tour in the US?

kidding aside I know what you mean. But I also enjoy Cage the elephant, Muse, jack white and a few others. Cage and muse could get to PJ status if Muse toured more in the US and if Cage is given more time 
    Saw Muse at a “smaller” outdoor venue a couple years ago. It was an awesome show. They are fantastic live. Jack White is terrific live as well. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I’ve been equally blown away by almost every other band I’ve ever seen. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    DewieCox said:
    Same here.  Seeing Pearl Jam was certainly a highlight of my many years of going to shows, but there have been so many other highlights- so much so that I think I would find it highly depressing to think that there is only one band that turns on that ecstatic live music part of the brain.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    DewieCox said:
    I would love to see a full list of bands you have seen and which ones are equal to Pearl Jam. I am not saying this to call you out as wrong but would love to see what you think compares. Pearl Jam are at the top imo right now and really can not think of much out there that compares. 
    I'm not saying other shows aren't great...I just think PJ shows are the best/most exciting.
    For what it's worth, the two Radiohead shows I saw last summer were probably the most satisfying (in terms of setlists) and well-performed shows I'd ever witnessed. However, the anticipation and excitement of a PJ show has never been matched for me.
  • Hi! said:
    It’s like my relationship with the NBA. Bron, Kobe, Curry, are amazing, but it will never be as good as following/watching Jordan was for me. 
    Yep. Bulls were amazing! Pearl Jam shows are the best. So good
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:
    I would love to see a full list of bands you have seen and which ones are equal to Pearl Jam. I am not saying this to call you out as wrong but would love to see what you think compares. Pearl Jam are at the top imo right now and really can not think of much out there that compares. 
    Having felt the same as DewieCox, I'll list band I've seen that were as thrilling to me as Pearl Jam:

The Beach Boys
    Buffalo Springfield
    The Who
    Blue Cheer
    Santana
    Jimi Hendrix Experience (x2)
    Taj Mahal
    Crosby Stills Nash and Young
    Larry Coryell (trio x 3)
    John Mayall (x2)
    Miles Davis
    Harvey Mandel
    David Lindley and El-Rayo X
    Sun Ra and His Solar Arkestra (x2)
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band (x2)
    Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    Link Wray
    Jethro Tull
    John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers reunion with Mick Taylor
    Talking Heads
    King Crimson
    The Go Go's (x2)
    Psychedelic Furs (x2)
    The Clash
    The Alarm
    U2
    The Bongos (x2)
    R.E.M.
    Bob Dylan with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Cecil Taylor (x2)
    Violent Femmes
    The Young Doctors (x2)
    John Lee Hooker with Carlos Santana
    Leo Kottke
    Johnny Cash and Carter Family
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse
    Paul Westerberg and His Only Friends
    Willie Nelson and Family
    Carlton Melton
    and, of course, Pearl Jam

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I love concerts.  I almost always like the shows of bands I like.  Sometimes I find myself thinking that if I were to see
    this band again, it wouldn't be near as good.
    Pearl Jam has the best replay value.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:
    Having felt the same as DewieCox, I'll list band I've seen that were as thrilling to me as Pearl Jam:

The Beach Boys
    Buffalo Springfield
    The Who
    Blue Cheer
    Santana
    Taj Mahal
    Larry Coryell (trio x 3)
    John Mayall (x2)
    Miles Davis
    Harvey Mandel
    Link Wray
    Jethro Tull
    Talking Heads
    King Crimson
    The Go Go's (x2)
    Psychedelic Furs (x2)
    The Clash
    The Alarm
    U2
    The Bongos (x2)
    R.E.M.
    Cecil Taylor (x2)
    Violent Femmes
    The Young Doctors (x2)
    Leo Kottke
    Willie Nelson and Family
    Carlton Melton

Nice list of bands/artists. Very impressive and very jealous on some of those. I should have clarified I meant current bands since the focus of the OP was going forward PJ has ruined live experiences for him. Imo they are in a class of their own right now and I can think of only 5 or so bands that I would say are even capable of being in the same conversation depending on your tastes of music. That is not saying that there are not great bands out there for me and give me goosebumps. I am just saying making a statement that almost every band you have seen is equal to Pearl Jam is a wild statement to make unless you just go and see the cream of the crop or do not put PJ that high which is fine of course. 
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    I agree with a lot of what’s been said about PJ shows being great, but there also being tonnes of other great live bands on the go.  

One thing I’ve figured out about myself is that emotional history with a band can also greatly impact enjoyment of a show. I love seeing a new band that’s still young and hungry and come away thinking it was a great show.  However if I’ve only been listening to said band for 3 months, versus having listened to a band like PJ for 25+ years you just don’t have the same lifetime of memories with them I.E. you hear a song live that takes you back to a specific moment in your life.  PJ, Neil Young, Prince, etc. all put on great shows in my opinion, but a big part of it has been and is my history of memories with those bands.  Other bands who are somewhat more recent like an Alabama Shakes also put on a great show, but sometimes it doesn’t feel quite as epic based on personal exposure (and length of exposure) to the group.

All that said, little can beat the anticipation of seeing a group live for the first time.
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:

The Beach Boys
    Buffalo Springfield
    The Who
    Blue Cheer
    Santana
    Taj Mahal
    Larry Coryell (trio x 3)
    John Mayall (x2)
    Miles Davis
    Harvey Mandel
    Link Wray
    Jethro Tull
    Talking Heads
    King Crimson
    The Go Go's (x2)
    Psychedelic Furs (x2)
    The Clash
    The Alarm
    U2
    The Bongos (x2)
    R.E.M.
    Cecil Taylor (x2)
    Violent Femmes
    The Young Doctors (x2)
    Leo Kottke
    Willie Nelson and Family
    Carlton Melton

Nice list of bands/artists. Very impressive and very jealous on some of those. I should have clarified I meant current bands since the focus of the OP was going forward PJ has ruined live experiences for him. Imo they are in a class of their own right now and I can think of only 5 or so bands that I would say are even capable of being in the same conversation depending on your tastes of music. That is not saying that there are not great bands out there for me and give me goosebumps. I am just saying making a statement that almost every band you have seen is equal to Pearl Jam is a wild statement to make unless you just go and see the cream of the crop or do not put PJ that high which is fine of course. 
    In terms of big-draw bands you may be right. 

But many of the bands I've seen that gave me that ultimate thrill were seen and heard in small clubs, not large venues.  I think for some people, the thrill of a show is as much about the concert being a big crowd event.  That's fine, but it means some people are missing great music being played by lesser known (but equally or more talented) musicians and groups than the big names.  I don't get out to shows much at all any more (mainly due to age and trashed ears), but I know from talking to younger music fans and reading a lot on music that there is a LOT of great musical talent out there.  If I were younger and more hungry that way, I'd be out hitting the clubs and smaller venues and seeking out these great musicians and bands.  Discovering fantastic music that way can be at least as much fun (and way less hassle) than going to big venue and stadium shows.

brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:

The Beach Boys
    Buffalo Springfield
    The Who
    Blue Cheer
    Santana
    Taj Mahal
    Larry Coryell (trio x 3)
    John Mayall (x2)
    Miles Davis
    Harvey Mandel
    Link Wray
    Jethro Tull
    Talking Heads
    King Crimson
    The Go Go's (x2)
    Psychedelic Furs (x2)
    The Clash
    The Alarm
    U2
    The Bongos (x2)
    R.E.M.
    Cecil Taylor (x2)
    Violent Femmes
    The Young Doctors (x2)
    Leo Kottke
    Willie Nelson and Family
    Carlton Melton

But many of the bands I've seen that gave me that ultimate thrill were seen and heard in small clubs, not large venues.  I think for some people, the thrill of a show is as much about the concert being a big crowd event.  That's fine, but it means some people are missing great music being played by lesser known (but equally or more talented) musicians and groups than the big names.  I don't get out to shows much at all any more (mainly due to age and trashed ears), but I know from talking to younger music fans and reading a lot on music that there is a LOT of great musical talent out there.  If I were younger and more hungry that way, I'd be out hitting the clubs and smaller venues and seeking out these great musicians and bands.  Discovering fantastic music that way can be at least as much fun (and way less hassle) than going to big venue and stadium shows.
    Agree with a lot of that. Pearl Jam do spoil us though with setlist and length of shows. I wish I could make more shows or be in a geographical area that would allow me to with out driving 7 hrs to do so. 3 kids, a full time job, and a wife that has the same passion as I do make it hard to see any band and when we do it has got to be Pearl Jam or another top tier show. Sorry to hear about those ears. I am sure there are plenty of great memories though that got them that way. I work in an industrial setting and need to take better care of mine. 
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:

The Beach Boys
    Buffalo Springfield
    The Who
    Blue Cheer
    Santana
    Taj Mahal
    Larry Coryell (trio x 3)
    John Mayall (x2)
    Miles Davis
    Harvey Mandel
    Link Wray
    Jethro Tull
    Talking Heads
    King Crimson
    The Go Go's (x2)
    Psychedelic Furs (x2)
    The Clash
    The Alarm
    U2
    The Bongos (x2)
    R.E.M.
    Cecil Taylor (x2)
    Violent Femmes
    The Young Doctors (x2)
    Leo Kottke
    Willie Nelson and Family
    Carlton Melton

Agree with a lot of that. Pearl Jam do spoil us though with setlist and length of shows. I wish I could make more shows or be in a geographical area that would allow me to with out driving 7 hrs to do so. 3 kids, a full time job, and a wife that has the same passion as I do make it hard to see any band and when we do it has got to be Pearl Jam or another top tier show. Sorry to hear about those ears. I am sure there are plenty of great memories though that got them that way. I work in an industrial setting and need to take better care of mine. 
    Sounds like your hands are full!

Keep those earplugs handy at work.  Tinnitus is a bitch!

Of course, the rotating setlists sometimes leave you feeling like you missed out on a bunch of songs...I often look back on those two Seattle shows last summer and think about how many great/classic songs they performed but then go dark and start considering all the classics they did NOT play. 
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I think the thrill can apply to anyone who’s going to see one of, if not their favourite group. 
    Like for me going to see either the Black Crowes, CRB, or Magpie Salute. These would top a PJ experience for me. Maybe not you, but in my mind I’m there. The smells, the sites, and musicianship is top notch. The entire experience is a treat.
    there really is no right or wrong answer (or band) If you dig it.
    I think the thrill can apply to anyone who’s going to see one of, if not their favourite group. 
    Like for me going to see either the Black Crowes, CRB, or Magpie Salute. These would top a PJ experience for me. Maybe not you, but in my mind I’m there. The smells, the sites, and musicianship is top notch. The entire experience is a treat.
    there really is no right or wrong answer (or band) If you dig it.
    Exactly. It’s all subjective. I mean, I would love to get the same “feels” from other bands, it just hasn’t happened. That’s not to say I don’t like or look for different bands. PJ is the tops for me.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:

Tool
    Black Crowes
    MMJ
    Flaming Lips
    The Mars Volta
    Radiohead
    Page/Plant
    AC/DC
    Petty
    Dr. Dog
    Them Crooked Vultures
    Wilco
    Jack White

All just as great as a PJ show, just different vibes.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    here is the thing about PJ shows which is absolute key for me
    the continued rotating setlist with the element of total surprise being the next song

have other bands done that as well as PJ do? yup.

are pearl jam the absolute best and have they spolied me for other musical experiences/shows?
    not a chance.

but ya man they are f.n gooood when they are good. best on the planet at that exact moment in time!!!
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Hi! said:
    The physicality and competitiveness of the NBA during the Jordan era is probably what I like the most. Players/rivals just legit hated each other. None of this teaming-up stuff 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:

Jethro Tull

Always wanted to catch Jethro Tull. Just never around me.

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i agree pearl jam shows have that feel to them that very few other shows have. but having seen people such as bob marley (2) the original who and bruce springsteen in 1978( the most memorable show ever) just to name a few and there are hundreds more starting from early 1973, a lot of newer artists today just don't deliver the anticipation , energy and just sheer excitement and joy that a pearl jam show delivers. even if the material is good. when i met jeff once i told him their music could fit into the late 60's 70's etc. still feel that way. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    Hi! said:
    The physicality and competitiveness of the NBA during the Jordan era is probably what I like the most. Players/rivals just legit hated each other. None of this teaming-up stuff 
    Barkley, Drexler, & Pippen in Houston?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    They were all traded to Houston, not planning it if free agency 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    edited May 2019
    NewJPage said:
    on2legs said:
    Hi! said:
    They were all traded to Houston, not planning it if free agency 
    Pippen was a sign and trade to Houston. Same as LeBron and Bosh to Miami. 
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

And the Bulls traded for Rodman...Not sure if that’s a good example, but he filled a major void left by Grant. Talk about teams hating each other, John Sally, Buddha Edwards, Rodman on the 95 -96 Bulls, lol.