15-TON PREHISTORIC SHARK CAPTURED OFF COAST OF PAKISTAN

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    And to think that social media and the inter webs can’t possibly influence how people vote. Who woulda thunk?
    bazinga
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    edited May 2019
    Post edited by LongestRoad on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    And to think that social media and the inter webs can’t possibly influence how people vote. Who woulda thunk?
    Slight difference between "Oh, they caught a big shark" and "Oh, that guy in the orange comb over seems really smart"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    Slight difference between "Oh, they caught a big shark" and "Oh, that guy in the orange comb over seems really smart"
    Not really.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    how is it different? it highlights how quick people are to jump at a headline and believe it just because it's a headline. no different than "Hillary sex scandal!" or "Trump is a russian spy!". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    how is it different? it highlights how quick people are to jump at a headline and believe it just because it's a headline. no different than "Hillary sex scandal!" or "Trump is a russian spy!". 
    Hugh is a covert Swedish operative based in Canada! :wink:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    how is it different? 
    A big shark being caught is plausible. 

A smart Donald Trump should be impossible to fathom.

There you have the underlying basis for my comment. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2019
    tbergs said:
    Hugh is a covert Swedish operative based in Canada! :wink:
    I secretly wish I could wear my shoes inside.....but my sacred oath tell me otherwise. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

how is it different? 
    A big shark being caught is plausible. 

A smart Donald Trump should be impossible to fathom.

There you have the underlying basis for my comment. 
    your personal view of plausibility is irrelevant though. all levels of intelligence can get duped from time to time. it all depends on our own views and biases and willingness to believe things we're told at face value. 

to be perfectly honest, prior to Trump becoming a nominee and speaking publicly unscripted, I just assumed he must he intelligent and successful, because that's how his brand was presented. I had no reason to believe he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't run a business. it was only after all the facts came out that I knew the truth. Partly because I had no reason to research it (why would I give a shit about the actual wealth and intellect of a celebrity?), and partly because I just believed what was fed to me through media. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    I was duped...  I was going to start researching this more too but oh well...

Meltdown your credibility has been downsized...
    What if Meltdown intended for us to see the (embarrassingly obvious) message plastered on the home page that reads "Where facts don't matter"? To me, this is a good reminder that we're typically not participating in universal skepticism the way we should.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    benjs said:

What if Meltdown intended for us to see the (embarrassingly obvious) message plastered on the home page that reads "Where facts don't matter"? To me, this is a good reminder that we're typically not participating in universal skepticism the way we should.
    I seriously was only interested in the shark and the story.  I didn't bother to read anything else and was going to research this more because i find the ocean fascinating.  I would have eventually found it to be a hoax.

Now if this was a setup by Meltdown then Bravo!!!

You mean this isn't the stage diving line?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Not really.
    Really.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2019
    benjs said:

I seriously was only interested in the shark and the story.  I didn't bother to read anything else and was going to research this more because i find the ocean fascinating.  I would have eventually found it to be a hoax.

Now if this was a setup by Meltdown then Bravo!!!
    Ditto. I was at work, with someone talking to me, 10 emails to reply to... I only half read the article, certainly didn't see anything weird on the rest of the page, saw a photo of a believably large shark (IMO), and replied. People are making way too much of this, lol.
    If this was a setup by Meltdown he's now an official troll.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2019
    I think it's hilarious that when someone posts something that is found to be a hoax, if they:

-were duped, "i was busy", "I wasn't paying attention", "people are making too much of this", "I didn't read the entire thing"
    -were not duped, it's "jesus, people, it's the fucking (satire website), don't you know how to think critically?" "did you READ the article before posting?" or "people will believe anything"

had I read the article prior to it being pointed out, good chance I'd have been duped too. such is life. and the ads on the side are not a dead giveaway. seriously, I see the same shit on any website, including CNN's under "paid content". but if you don't notice that subtle headline, you could easily believe some of them are real. 

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I think it's hilarious that when someone posts something that is found to be a hoax, if they:

-were duped, "i was busy", "I wasn't paying attention", "people are making too much of this", "I didn't read the entire thing"
    -were not duped, it's "jesus, people, it's the fucking (satire website), don't you know how to think critically?" "did you READ the article before posting?" or "people will believe anything"

had I read the article prior to it being pointed out, good chance I'd have been duped too. such is life. and the ads on the side are not a dead giveaway. seriously, I see the same shit on any website, including CNN's under "paid content". but if you don't notice that subtle headline, you could easily believe some of them are real. 

Which speaks exactly to the point that Halifax made. This is how millions of people believe things that are untrue, politically or otherwise. Everyone who said recently that they would never be taken in by paid trolls and that anyone who was is a moron should rethink their opinion. You either pay very close attention to what you are reading and hearing, think critically and double check, or you’ll be taken in at times. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Yeah, well my point in saying I was busy was to explain why I obviously missed so much on that webpage (I really was busy, lol). Upon closer inspection, yes, it's very very obvious that it's not real news. I simply didn't notice any of that because I wasn't paying close attention. Yes, anyone who believes a fake news story feels silly (or should, anyway!), so we are inclined to explain ourselves, lol, since others seem to suddenly jump on it as though it explains our entire world view, lol. Like okay, this happened, now I'm a sheep displaying the same thought process as Trump voters. That's just idiotic. If anything, that REACTION better explains Trump voters. :lol:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

You mean this isn't the stage diving line?
    Lemmings!
    edited May 2019

Which speaks exactly to the point that Halifax made. This is how millions of people believe things that are untrue, politically or otherwise. Everyone who said recently that they would never be taken in by paid trolls and that anyone who was is a moron should rethink their opinion. You either pay very close attention to what you are reading and hearing, think critically and double check, or you’ll be taken in at times. 
    But paying attention to some article about a giant shark and paying attention to an article about important political matters is hardly the same thing. One can be on the look out for political influences, and not for stupid articles about sharks. However, those paid trolls are very subtle and sneaky at the time, and I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone suggest that all of those who are influenced by this super shady election meddling via social media is a moron, unless they were specifically talking about stuff that is very obviously ridiculous, which is often NOT the case when it comes to these paid social media trolls trying to impact elections. That is why internet literacy has to be taught at basic curriculum in all schools. It's a tricky business.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on

For the record the big breasted woman wasn't on my page when I opened it but there are even more ludicrous articles, lol.

I was duped...
    Oh well.

agree 100%
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

But paying attention to some article about a giant shark and paying attention to an article about important political matters is hardly the same thing. One can be on the look out for political influences, and not for stupid articles about sharks. However, those paid trolls are very subtle and sneaky at the time, and I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone suggest that all of those who are influenced by this super shady election meddling via social media is a moron, unless they were specifically talking about stuff that is very obviously ridiculous, which is often NOT the case when it comes to these paid social media trolls trying to impact elections. That is why internet literacy has to be taught at basic curriculum in all schools. It's a tricky business.
    but it IS the same thing. we all ingest these things in different ways, but the way you looked at the shark article, as inconsequential, someone else might do the same when they click quickly on an article to do with politics. it may not resonate with them as consequential at the time, or maybe even ever, but someone they mention it to, or a website they are chatting, someone who does see this as consequential might jump on it without researching it themselves and forwarding the false information, which is exactly what these paid trolls are counting on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, well my point in saying I was busy was to explain why I obviously missed so much on that webpage (I really was busy, lol). Upon closer inspection, yes, it's very very obvious that it's not real news. I simply didn't notice any of that because I wasn't paying close attention. Yes, anyone who believes a fake news story feels silly (or should, anyway!), so we are inclined to explain ourselves, lol, since others seem to suddenly jump on it as though it explains our entire world view, lol. Like okay, this happened, now I'm a sheep displaying the same thought process as Trump voters. That's just idiotic. If anything, that REACTION better explains Trump voters. :lol:
    um, no, it doesn't at all. those trolls are targeting those who are looking for things like that to confirm their biases (but that won't matter because they aren't changing their minds anyway, but they WILL trumpet the false info), but also people who are undecided and casual voters who don't take the time to research these things but vote anyway. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

For the record the big breasted woman wasn't on my page when I opened it but there are even more ludicrous articles, lol.

I was duped...
    Oh well.
    I read the article after it was found it was fake. I will accept fully that I would have 100% have been duped as well. As I said, I have seen those same types of ads on reputable websites, and I have never heard of "world news", so it may not have occurred to me at the time to check the source. Had it been something absurd, probably. but the shark story was completely believable. And to many people, complete fabrications of politicians or public figures in general, many of these stories are believable to them, not because that person is necessarily stupid, but because of their previously held biases, however small, or their lack of awareness of how serious it could be. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

We’ve definitely had people on this forum say that anyone who believed the misinformation put out by the troll farms or other partisan sources is a moron, and that attitude concerns me, because not only is it wrong, it means that people are overconfident about their own abilities to be constantly alert to every stray piece of information. We are all influenced; that’s why advertising is such big business 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    We had a poster on here post an article with a picture and ask, “Is this behavior mainstream now?” What if we, or a majority of us, had all said yes (faceturd, Twitter feed, comment section of insert news, blog, chat site here)?

Someone might have been influenced without the facts. Weekly World News used to be in paper form at the supermarket check out line. Maybe it still is?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

I saw this posted in earnest on FB. While many laughed, other people were pleasantly surprised and looking forward to saving all that money in only a year. My question is, at what point can we actually just boil things down to people being dummies when they take something at face value? ;)

Dummies is too nice a term 

Lazy fools.
    I was going to research it more so at least I was going to do my part to delve into the story more.  That is the problem w most people though like Soul said in that people take it for face value and pursue it no further.