Mom chases down teen son after he steals her BMW, spanks him with belt on side of road

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I don't know what the law in Texas says about beating a kid with a belt.  But in other states, the laws are more limiting that way.  I'm pretty sure that in some states, the kid would be able to take the parent to court for child abuse (and maybe win).  In any case, I would say that the mom was not too bright to have someone ride along with her to film the incident and then put it on social media. And she probably thinks it's real cute that she did so.   If I were that kid, I'd probably be tempted to take the BMW and just keep on going.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    I don't know what the law in Texas says about beating a kid with a belt.  But in other states, the laws are more limiting that way.  I'm pretty sure that in some states, the kid would be able to take the parent to court for child abuse (and maybe win).  In any case, I would say that the mom was not too bright to have someone ride along with her to film the incident and then put it on social media. And she probably thinks it's real cute that she did so.   If I were that kid, I'd probably be tempted to take the BMW and just keep on going.
    Maybe now he will not do it again. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Interesting. I'm kind of torn about this.  On one hand I like that the mom wasn't letting the kid get away with it but spanking a 13 year old...in public and posting it online?  I can't get behind posting it online (even if it was the sister who posted it).  Of course it was Texas so she was probably legally allowed to pull a gun on him if she wanted.  I imagine her husband doesn't step out of line too much either.
    pjhawks said:
    Interesting. I'm kind of torn about this.  On one hand I like that the mom wasn't letting the kid get away with it but spanking a 13 year old...in public and posting it online?  I can't get behind posting it online (even if it was the sister who posted it).  Of course it was Texas so she was probably legally allowed to pull a gun on him if she wanted.  I imagine her husband doesn't step out of line too much either.
    LMFAO
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Sweden was the first country in the world to forbid violence against a child (corporal punishment) in 1966.

Just saying.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    A quick google search shows that spankings in public school are allowed...so it's safe to assume that parents can administer this punishment as well.  

She should have called the cops and had the little bugger charged ... that'd teach him a lesson.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The kid definitely got what he deserved, Good for the mom. However she was wrong when she decided to post it online. Hopefully the kid learned his lesson.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    The kid definitely got what he deserved, Good for the mom. However she was wrong when she decided to post it online. Hopefully the kid learned his lesson.  
    I do not know Texas law regarding minors...does a criminal charge that was laid on 13 years old follow them for life...In Canada, once your 18 your record is no longer an issue.  So if the record in Texas follows him into adulthood, then this Mom might have done him a favour.  But who knows...

Give Peas A Chance…
    A quick google search shows that spankings in public school are allowed... 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    I do not know Texas law regarding minors...does a criminal charge that was laid on 13 years old follow them for life...In Canada, once your 18 your record is no longer an issue.  So if the record in Texas follows him into adulthood, then this Mom might have done him a favour.  But who knows...

I definitely think the mom did the kid a favor.  I'm pretty sure the record would be erased but the charge could have been pretty severe since stealing a car is a felony.  Who knows.
    edited May 2019
    Oh - BMW. I read it as BMX and thought "wow, cool mom. Riding a BMX"
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    what do you think that kid got her for mother's day?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I definitely think the mom did the kid a favor.  I'm pretty sure the record would be erased but the charge could have been pretty severe since stealing a car is a felony.  Who knows.
    What if he'd hit someone and seriously injured someone or worse...maybe this mother prevented future tragedy...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I consider a car in the wrong hands a weapon...a drunk/drugs and, of course, 13-year-olds...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    pjhawks said:
    what do you think that kid got her for mother's day?
    Elastic pants with no belt straps ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Also known as yoga pants
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

What if he'd hit someone and seriously injured someone or worse...maybe this mother prevented future tragedy...
    If he hit someone or something then the cops had to be called. I don’t ever hit my kids but I wonder how I would react in the same situation. 
    Spanking and beating someone with a belt are not the same thing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

If he hit someone or something then the cops had to be called. I don’t ever hit my kids but I wonder how I would react in the same situation. 
    I know the cops would be called.  My point was maybe her harsh punishment may have prevented a possible more serious incident...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I know the cops would be called.  My point was maybe her harsh punishment may have prevented a possible more serious incident...
    And I definitely agreee with that. 
    brianlux said:
    ?
    brianlux said:
    ?
    I'm stating the obvious for those who think this public "spanking" was OK.  It was not "spanking".  It was a beating with a belt.  And personal reprimands have not damn business being displayed on social media.  Only a person with no class or taste would do that.

edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    ?
    I'm stating the obvious for those who think this public "spanking" was OK.  It was not "spanking".  It was a beating with a belt.  And personal reprimands have not damn business being displayed on social media.  Only a person with no class or taste would do that.
    Psychical reprimands have no business happening at all, on social media or in private. Not in a modern society. It's 2019.

A stern talk should happen in private, because it's always embarrassing hearing parents yell at their kids in public. Like when sitting on the tram trying to listen to Boston 2010 or when trying to eat at your favorite vegetarian lunch place. 
    It's pretty naive if you do not think parents in Sweden have spanked their kids...it's happening.

Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    ?
    I wouldn’t really classify that as a beating. There really wasn’t a lot of force behind those swings.  Totally agree that it shouldn’t have been put online. 
    edited May 2019
    It's pretty naive if you do not think parents in Sweden have spanked their kids...it's happening.

When have I said that I don't think it happens in Sweden?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    ?
    Psychical reprimands have no business happening at all, on social media or in private. Not in a modern society. It's 2019.

A stern talk should happen in private, because it's always embarrassing hearing parents yell at their kids in public. Like when sitting on the tram trying to listen to Boston 2010 or when trying to eat at your favorite vegetarian lunch place. 
    It’s all out of line, it’s all counterproductive, and it’s all unnecessary.  

Just another  kid who learned that the way to solve a problem is with violence.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    ?

Are you referencing Jeremy or Daughter?

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    ?

Yup. The outcomes of using violence as a consequence for behavior has more negatives. It’s largely done as an outlet for the parent’s anger.