** HOCKEY WORLD CUP 2019 **

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited May 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
Who will win? Sweden won the last two years. 

Only 10 options so, these were removed (guessing they have poor chances to win):

Great Britain
Italy
Latvia
Slovakia
Norway
France
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

** HOCKEY WORLD CUP 2019 ** 5 votes

Denmark
0%
Finland
0%
Sweden
20%
ConorKavanagh 1 vote
Canada
40%
MoonpigBLACK35 2 votes
Austria
20%
Meltdown99 1 vote
The Czech Republic
20%
OffSheGoes35 1 vote
Russia
0%
Switzerland
0%
Germany
0%
USA
0%

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Austria
    This is the worst international hockey tournament going...

The best players do not even partipate in this fraud tournament anymore...

the NHL, the IIHF and the Olympics needs to figure away to get the NHL players back into the tournament or the NHL needs to bring back the World Cup of hockey permanently...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    In what way is it "a fraud"?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Austria
    How can you call it "World Hockey Championships when hockey's very best are competing for the greatest trophy given out in pro sports?

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019
    How can you call it "World Hockey Championships when hockey's very best are competing for the greatest trophy given out in pro sports?

I don't want to by mistake make you start calling hockey players "sisters", that wouldn't feel very modern and fresh-- 

--but your post doesn't make any sense.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    The Czech Republic
    I pick my hockey teams like I pick my derby horses, by name. Czech yourself FTW! (I'm borrowing your phrase, dankind)
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited May 2019

the NHL, the IIHF and the Olympics needs to figure away to get the NHL players back into the tournament or the NHL needs to bring back the World Cup of hockey permanently...
    It depends how you look at it: Club teams vs National teams. Take the World Cup in soccer. It's the biggest soccer event, however, the big clubs team of the world, Barcelona, Real, Man City, etc. would rip apart most national teams. Obviously ice hockey is a more regional sport, so teams like Canada could compete against any club team from the NHL.
    I get what you're saying with the biggest stars sitting out the Ice Hockey tournament, but this tourney is still National teams competing which makes it a compelling watch.

Edit: Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk are all playing on the Russian side.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Much bigger event for europeans.  Doesnt really even move the dial this hemisphere
    Austria
    eddiec said:

It depends how you look at it: Club teams vs National teams. Take the World Cup in soccer. It's the biggest soccer event, however, the big clubs team of the world, Barcelona, Real, Man City, etc. would rip apart most national teams. Obviously ice hockey is a more regional sport, so teams like Canada could compete against any club team from the NHL.
    I get what you're saying with the biggest stars sitting out the Ice Hockey tournament, but this tourney is still National teams competing which makes it a compelling watch.

For one...I have absolutely zero use for the IIHF and this is the only time I side with Bettman on his feud with the IIHF and the Olympics.  How can you call it World Hockey Championships when you will not even work with the biggest professional hockey league in the world to ensure you get as many of the greats of the game as possible...how about a mid may start...you'd still miss out on players who are in the finals, but you would certainly get better quality players...

Some guys will always be missing...an 82 game season in the NHL is far more taxing and brutal on the body than the shit played in Europe, then you add players that are on playoff teams...the intensity and the hitting pick up in the playoffs...Personally, I like the world cup of hockey if they brought the tournament back, as long as it was country vs country and was held every 4 years, not just on a whim to pad people's pocket.  Make it a meaningful tournament, play it in September...

I do not follow soccer...so IO do not get what you are saying?

If Canada assembled an all-team to play NHL Club teams...good luck to those club teams...because like I have stated, most club teams 4th liners are AHL quality...an all-star team from Canada would have no AHL players on that team...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Austria

I don't want to by mistake make you start calling hockey players "sisters", that wouldn't feel very modern and fresh-- 

--but your post doesn't make any sense.
    Kind of like most of your post

Kind of like most of your post.  No, I was referring to 2 players that had zero spine and I sure as hell would never want any player on my team to just stand there and get punched in the head repeatedly...at least push Marchand...it's not like Marchand is some 4th linw goon...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Austria
    eddiec said:

Of course, Europeans love that sort of thing, far more than we do...

They love garbage hockey.  I prefer the intensity of the NHL playoffs...

I caught a bit of Canada vs Finland...it was an incredibly boring game...

Game 1 of the 3rd round was far better.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    A lot of good players are playing. Do you want the whole league to be in it? I'll go for U.S. or Sweden for Henrik Lundqvist
    I miss igotid88
    Austria
    igotid88 said:
    A lot of good players are playing. Do you want the whole league to be in it? I'll go for U.S. or Sweden for Henrik Lundqvist
    No one expects everyone to play.  I am saying that maybe the IIHF and the NHL should work together to come up with a true World Cup of Hockey and hold the tournament when most NHL players are available, hold the tournament every 2 or 4 years.  Part of the problem is the IIHF is focused on bringing the NHL back to the Olympics.  I think it would take a small miracle to ever see the NHL back in the Olympics...so the IIHF is focused on the Olympics and the NHL wants a tournament that allows them to promote the NHL.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    igotid88 said:
    No one expects everyone to play.  I am saying that maybe the IIHF and the NHL should work together to come up with a true World Cup of Hockey and hold the tournament when most NHL players are available, hold the tournament every 2 or 4 years.  Part of the problem is the IIHF is focused on bringing the NHL back to the Olympics.  I think it would take a small miracle to ever see the NHL back in the Olympics...so the IIHF is focused on the Olympics and the NHL wants a tournament that allows them to promote the NHL.  

Yeah, that would be nice if any player that wanted to play in the WC could. Kind of difficult they play it during the NHL playoffs.

How about having the Hockey in the Summer Olympics?(like they have for basketball)
    Austria
    cutz said:
    igotid88 said:

Yeah, that would be nice if any player that wanted to play in the WC could. Kind of difficult they play it during the NHL playoffs.

How about having the Hockey in the Summer Olympics?(like they have for basketball)
    Yes.  I agree.  The summer Olympics would be perfect.  The players would love it as well.  Another factor is that after 82 games...some of these guys having nagging injuries to take care...Conner McDavid for example.  The summer Olympics would allow them to recover and be ready.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    cutz said:
    igotid88 said:

Yes.  I agree.  The summer Olympics would be perfect.  The players would love it as well.  Another factor is that after 82 games...some of these guys having nagging injuries to take care...Conner McDavid for example.  The summer Olympics would allow them to recover and be ready.  
    And, what are the chances that happens? 
    edited May 2019
    At least the World Cup is with the correct rink sizes. 

AM I RITE PEEPS
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Austria
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    igotid88 said:

And, what are the chances that happens? 
    Never.  That would mean more cost to the summer Olympics.  And many of these summer Olympic cities have no interest in hockey...

The best chance at something sustainable is between the IIHF and the NHL...

The NHL does not have to budge, they know they are the best league in the world with the best players...they also know they have the most sought after hockey trophy in the world...love the Stanley Cup playoffs...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Im not a big fan of the olympic shutdown and always terrified to lose an important player for a stretch run.

I like the idea of all the eggs in an August World Cup.

It will likely get hashed out at the upcoming 2020 lockout
    Austria
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXviyH71bGo&feature=youtu.be

LOL...WTF.  I like the way the one goof tried to act so nonchalant by pretending to be fixing his hair.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Not sure why the US jerseys need sponsorship ads on them.  Are we funding this team with Saturday car washes and tootsie roll drives?  
    Winning the Olympic Gold is a 10/10.  Winning this tournament is a 1/10.  No one cares.  
    Austria
    Jason P said:
    Winning the Olympic Gold is a 10/10.  Winning this tournament is a 1/10.  No one cares.  
    Not true.  At least 1 Swede cares...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Jason P said:
    And every player who is giving it his all on the ice.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited May 2019
    dankind said:
    Jason P said:
    Same could be said for those playing in the cornhole world championship on The Ocho.  ;)

i was more implying the coverage the sport gets in the olympics versus this which few even know is going on right now.  This might be closer to 0/10 to be honest. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Jason P said:
    dankind said:
    Jason P said:
    Same could be said for those playing in the cornhole world championship on The Ocho.  ;)

i was more implying the coverage the sport gets in the olympics versus this which few even know is going on right now.  This might be closer to 0/10 to be honest. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I sometimes pontificate and wonder if there will ever be a unified European league.  The KHL sometimes looks like it is poised to jump up a bit, but I dont know.  A lot of bad people involved with that as well as some hideous travel across 100 time zones.  

But a major European league in the best markets could possibly provide some competitive salaries that could lure a bulk of the NHL's European players to stay in their own continent.  With how far the Swedish and Finnish programs have come, it could be someday be legitimately as good as the NHL, and perhaps the Stanley Cup could be the NHL winner vs the Eastern Hemisphere League winner, creating vested fans all over the world.  

You could also do the Soccer/futbol thing and have a on-season type of tournament that is gradually played throughout the year and even, perhaps, some inter-league play... and the tournament games may count in the standings.  
    Austria
    Good luck USA against Russia Thursday...you will need a miracle on ice part 2

Give Peas A Chance…
    Austria
    dankind said:
    Jason P said:
    I did say at least one...so I left open the possibility others cared.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Austria
    MayDay10 said:
    I sometimes pontificate and wonder if there will ever be a unified European league.  The KHL sometimes looks like it is poised to jump up a bit, but I dont know.  A lot of bad people involved with that as well as some hideous travel across 100 time zones.  

But a major European league in the best markets could possibly provide some competitive salaries that could lure a bulk of the NHL's European players to stay in their own continent.  With how far the Swedish and Finnish programs have come, it could be someday be legitimately as good as the NHL, and perhaps the Stanley Cup could be the NHL winner vs the Eastern Hemisphere League winner, creating vested fans all over the world.  

You could also do the Soccer/futbol thing and have a on-season type of tournament that is gradually played throughout the year and even, perhaps, some inter-league play... and the tournament games may count in the standings.  
    I doubt that would happen.  Hockey would be played until July if the NHL and some European team meet after to decide a world champion (i guess)...unless you are proposing replacing 1 of the teams in the finals come from a European league.  Anyways.  I think the logistics would never work.  Plus I am dead set against the Stanley Cup being awarded to a team based in Europe.

I am all for them starting a rival league that keeps more Euros at home...I'm all for that.  

However, most European players know the Stanley Cup is the only trophy that really matters, so they'd likely choose the NHL first.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    MayDay10 said:

I doubt that would happen.  Hockey would be played until July if the NHL and some European team meet after to decide a world champion (i guess)...unless you are proposing replacing 1 of the teams in the finals come from a European league.  Anyways.  I think the logistics would never work.  Plus I am dead set against the Stanley Cup being awarded to a team based in Europe.

I am all for them starting a rival league that keeps more Euros at home...I'm all for that.  

However, most European players know the Stanley Cup is the only trophy that really matters, so they'd likely choose the NHL first.
    I've always thought the Europeans really want to win the Olympics & World Championships.