What album to introduce PJ to someone?

If someone didn’t know PJ well, but was open to giving an album a chance, what album would you choose? My friend and I have had a different opinion on this for a while. 

What album to introduce PJ to someone? 61 votes

Ten
54%
mcgruff10NiktoJOEJOEJOEPJammer4lifelastexitlondonbluesuedeitzradpjsteelerfanLukinFanKS80184BH87446Kearn5ydr122931RS151862CP218430MRMACPHISTO75MedozKmayerdthevachontempo_n_grooveJason7192 33 votes
Vs
14%
pjhawksmr bunglePA JammerpledgeagrievanceTim SimmonsRay J. T.F Me In The Brainrummypursuedbybear 9 votes
Vitalogy
1%
CopperTom 1 vote
No Code
11%
my_wavemfc2006RS65573Abe Fromanfoodshop65riley540PJNB 7 votes
Yield
18%
on2legseboweddieFlying MXZMay 30thKN219077PJ_SoulJmeiiiSmallestOceanshihobibobbiggsjimjam1982 11 votes

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Ten
    Ten because it was the album that started it all. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    Yield
    I think it depends on the person. If it is someone who is vaguely familiar, and you want them to listen to the whole album and recognize some songs, then Ten. For someone who wants more hard rock, then Vs or Ten. But to get a spectrum of all of their styles, and where I think they really hit their groove , it's Yield. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Vs
    tough question but I say VS. just because I think it's a bit more diverse than Ten.  There is something great on  VS. for whatever style someone digs.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Vs
    I prefer Ten but if I were looking for a better welcome it would be Vs.  (At least, today....)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited May 2019
    Vs
    pjhawks said:
    tough question but I say VS. just because I think it's a bit more diverse than Ten.  There is something great on  VS. for whatever style someone digs.  
    Exactly. I almost went with Ten but it has all the hits that a newbie may have already heard. Vs. has some nice, straight-ahead rockers (Animal, Dissident, RVM), some heavy-rockers (Go, Blood, Leash), some funky tunes (Rats, WMA, even Glorified G), and some beautiful slower tunes (Small Town, Daughter, and Indifference). You can't lose with this one.

As for Vitalogy, the "non-songs" may throw some people off but if you just take the 10 "regular" tunes and put them on a playlist, that might work. Yield is a nice choice but I still think Vs is more diverse. I love No Code but there's no way I'd start there. It's a grower.

P.S. I think it's interesting that you omitted the last five albums from the list. Maybe something more modern might catch someone's attention???? (Maybe not).
    Post edited by rummy on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Vs
    rummy said:
    pjhawks said:
    Exactly. I almost went with Ten but it has all the hits that a newbie may have already heard. Vs. has some nice, straight-ahead rockers (Animal, Dissident, RVM), some heavy-rockers (Go, Blood, Leash), some funky tunes (Rats, WMA, even Glorified G), and some beautiful slower tunes (Small Town, Daughter, and Indifference). You can't lose with this one.

As for Vitalogy, the "non-songs" my throw some people off but if you just take the 10 "regular" tunes and put them on a playlist, that might work. Yield is a nice choice but I still think Vs is more diverse. I love No Code but there's no way I'd start there. It's a grower.

P.S. I think it's interesting that you omitted the last five albums from the list. Maybe something more modern might catch someone's attention???? (Maybe not).
    I think that even Lightning Bolt is no longer considered modern.
    :lol:     

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Ten
    No Code is the best, but you have to start someone new off with Ten and then go into Vs. and then Vitalogy 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    Vs
    I think VS was the first album that shows the band's transgression from MLB to PJ
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Yield
    I think Yield is the best album in that list (marginally in most cases), and I figure the best album is the one to present first. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Vs
    Start with Vs. Then Yield. Followed by Ten.  If a person digs PJ after that you give them some No Code and Vitalogy
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited May 2019
    Yield
    mr bungle said:
    Start with Vs. Then Yield. Followed by Ten.  If a person digs PJ after that you give them some No Code and Vitalogy
    I don't assume that someone who hasn't heard PJ is necessarily going to need "easing in" to the less mainstream stuff though, which is what most seem to want to do, judging by the poll. But of course I could be misreading the intentions.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Vs
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    I don't assume that someone who hasn't heard PJ is necessarily going to need "easing in" to the less mainstream stuff though, which is what most seem to want to do, judging by the poll. But of course I could be misreading the intentions
    Maybe they would need "easing in", maybe they would not need "easing in".  OP didn't give a personality profile or musical tastes of hypothetical PJ virgin.  Hence the poll with different sounding albums.  Clearly everyone has different opinions which is great!
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    Yield
    I've done this. With a bootleg. Atlanta 1994. Or a 2003 one. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
    Vs
    eboweddie said:
    Bootleg is the winner, although it was not part of the question.  I might go with Live on Two Legs...
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Ten
    Start at the beginning and move forward in order
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Yield
    Yield or No Code
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    eboweddie said:
    Bootleg is the winner, although it was not part of the question.  I might go with Live on Two Legs...
    Reading the thread title, this was my first thought as well.
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    Yield
    To answer the question id deffo say yield . 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    No Code
    Depends if they have never heard PJ (is that possible?) before or not. If they have then I would jump to No Code assuming they have heard all of the hits from the past. If they have not I would choose Ten and tell them to keep going. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Yield
    Lost Dogs was my first album. Haven’t looked back since 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Vs
    KN219077 said:
    Lost Dogs was my first album. Haven’t looked back since 
    That's pretty interesting. How many other songs did you know beforehand?