Sandra Bland..." I feared for my life..."

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
edited May 2019 in A Moving Train
  Sandra Bland Filmed Traffic Stop Confrontation Herself https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/07/us/sandra-bland-video-brian-encinia.html

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    concrete example, you shouldnt trust the word of law enforcement JUST because they are law enforcement. If you use "I feared for me life " as an excuse in a situation that investigation rebveals a suspect had no weapon or otherwise weren't a threaat , it should be used as a means of dismissal.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mickeyrat said:
    concrete example, you shouldnt trust the word of law enforcement JUST because they are law enforcement. If you use "I feared for me life " as an excuse in a situation that investigation rebveals a suspect had no weapon or otherwise weren't a threaat , it should be used as a means of dismissal.
    Don't take this the wrong way.  I think anyone WHO trusts a US cop in America is a nutbar.  The US is a law and order nation in which makes your country look weak...you lead the civilized nation in incarceration.  When it comes to justice I have as about as much faith in the US system as I would in China's system...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    mickeyrat said:
    Don't take this the wrong way.  I think anyone WHO trusts a US cop in America is a nutbar.  The US is a law and order nation in which makes your country look weak...you lead the civilized nation in incarceration.  When it comes to justice I have as about as much faith in the US system as I would in China's system...

I don't think it's a matter of flat out blind trust or no trust at all.  Cops are people.  It helps to acquire and cultivate the ability to read people and their intentions, being both skeptical and open in doing so.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don't think it's a matter of flat out blind trust or no trust at all.  Cops are people.  It helps to acquire and cultivate the ability to read people and their intentions, being both skeptical and open in doing so.
    Very well said @brianlux
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I have no use for systems of law and order like the US...it resembles shit right out of China.  A good justice system should be flexible at every turn, should be fair whether you have money or not...your system is far from any of those...

The Canadian system is not perfect, but at least we do not look to incarceration as the 1st option if there are better ways.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I really want to know what the actual laws are for when you get pulled over?  I don't want to get out of my car.  Why would I?

This video also offers a bunch of knee jerk reactions.  I've always said that if you didn't do anything wrong then you should be ok.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited May 2019
    I really want to know what the actual laws are for when you get pulled over?  I don't want to get out of my car.  Why would I?

This video also offers a bunch of knee jerk reactions.  I've always said that if you didn't do anything wrong then you should be ok.
    I don't think that is always the case for everyone though, especially not for black people.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2019

I have an Aunt (Uncle passed away, he is part of the story) and Cousin who lives in Michigan.  When my Uncle was alive, he had to take my Aunt to the hospital for surgery and my cousin went with him...it was foggy, very foggy...they were pulled over by a state trooper...my Uncle rolled down the window just enough to give the trooper his licence...at first the trooper said roll your window down all the way, my Uncle refused and said he knows his rights...the trooper never objected...

My Uncle maintained he was in the right.  The trooper never objected?  I still do not know.  My cousin still does not know...

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I have no use for systems of law and order like the US...it resembles shit right out of China.  A good justice system should be flexible at every turn, should be fair whether you have money or not...your system is far from any of those...

The Canadian system is not perfect, but at least we do not look to incarceration as the 1st option if there are better ways.

The U.S. is a big country with regions that vary.  It's not the same everywhere and definitely is not China (although China Town in S.F. is pretty cool!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

PJ_Soul said:

I don't think that is always the case for everyone though, especially not for black people.
    I've heard the argument before but how you act goes a long way towards an officer.

I've been harassed because I was a dick and I've been treated great when I was respectful.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

I've heard the argument before but how you act goes a long way towards an officer.

I've been harassed because I was a dick and I've been treated great when I was respectful.
    Yes, that is often the case. But that is definitely not always the case, especially not for minorities. You are a white guy, so face a much lower probability of having to experience the "dark side of the law" that many others do. The fear and distrust of cops in the black community (for example) is absolutely justified. And all minorities, including the LGBTQ community, also have more reason to be concerned.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I've been ruthlessly harassed and hugely helped by cops.  There's just no generalizing here.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    I've been ruthlessly harassed and hugely helped by cops.  There's just no generalizing here.
    nope. some amazing people and some outright power hungry dicks. luckily, as a whitey, I can't even remember the last time i was stopped. 15 years ago maybe for not wearing a seatbelt. cop let me off since it was my birthday. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, that is often the case. But that is definitely not always the case, especially not for minorities. You are a white guy, so face a much lower probability of having to experience the "dark side of the law" that many others do. The fear and distrust of cops in the black community (for example) is absolutely justified. And all minorities, including the LGBTQ community, also have more reason to be concerned.
    we could go on for pages and pages about why a white guy faces a much lower probability to experience the dark side of the law. When people discuss the perception of mostly young black males i always like to ask why that perception, whether by cops or general public, is what it is?  how much of it is based on pure racism vs. how much is based on reality or how reality is presented to us?  until we can discuss and answer those questions from all sides, with all sides, it's going to be hard to change things. 
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

we could go on for pages and pages about why a white guy faces a much lower probability to experience the dark side of the law. When people discuss the perception of mostly young black males i always like to ask why that perception, whether by cops or general public, is what it is?  how much of it is based on pure racism vs. how much is based on reality or how reality is presented to us?  until we can discuss and answer those questions from all sides, with all sides, it's going to be hard to change things. 
    the same thing (well, not same, but similar) happens up here with aboriginals. we are willing to talk about how they've been oppressed and how the catholic church at the behest of the federal government basically tried to wipe out their culture, but we can't talk about the inherent problems currently facing them without constantly asterisking it with 'but it's the white man's fault'. which is basically true, but if you say anything in that vein without the caveat, you are labelled a racist. 

there are going to be cops that are racist. there are going to be cops that aren't racist but have their guard up because of personal experience, and that will inform their reaction content and time. i don't believe 100% of instances of a black person being wronged at the side of the road is the product of inherent racism. harassment? 100%. shootings? not so black and white, dependent on circumstance and the cop's past experience informing his decision making. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

plenty of times, in different situations, where I have "failed to signal" in front of a cop. not once have I been pulled over for it.

2 times have I been asked to exit a vehicle. one for dui check(cuffed and stuffed). the other to leave the car sit as I had no valid license (no ticket at all). at no other time have I been asked to exit when stopped.

brianlux said:
    nope. some amazing people and some outright power hungry dicks. luckily, as a whitey, I can't even remember the last time i was stopped. 15 years ago maybe for not wearing a seatbelt. cop let me off since it was my birthday. LOL
    Sweet!
    mickeyrat said:
    plenty of times, in different situations, where I have "failed to signal" in front of a cop. not once have I been pulled over for it.

2 times have I been asked to exit a vehicle. one for dui check(cuffed and stuffed). the other to leave the car sit as I had no valid license (no ticket at all). at no other time have I been asked to exit when stopped.
    "cuffed and stuffed"-- ouch!  I should have been once or twice in my twenties.  Lucky me, and super lucky I hurt no one.  I was a dumb ass kid.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    We were all dumb ass kids in one way or another, at one point or other. We all did stuff that could have killed ourselves or someone else. We were just incredibly lucky that it didn't, or at least most of us were. I try to keep that in mind when I read about this stuff in the news. "There but for the grace of FSM go I."
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    We were all dumb ass kids in one way or another, at one point or other. We all did stuff that could have killed ourselves or someone else. We were just incredibly lucky that it didn't, or at least most of us were. I try to keep that in mind when I read about this stuff in the news. "There but for the grace of FSM go I."
    Well said. 

In the mid seventies I knew these two really great guys, both in there late teens.  One night they went out and got drunk and took a joy ride.  The car slammed into a tree and one of the boys dies.  They weren't "bad" kids at all.  Just two otherwise fine young men being stupid while having a good time.  That really shook me up and drove some sense into my head the hard way.  I was so bummed for both the deceased and the survivor (who was also the driver.  That was heavy.)

I never had kids but after that I figured if I ever did I would tell them, "Look, you're probably going to get drunk someday when you're old enough [generally mid to late teens, speaking practically], so when you do, have a good time, stay off the road, don't drink yourself to death  (it happens),  stay alive, and good luck with the hangover."

P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    You haven't been touched by his noodly appendage?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    You mean like Mobey did to Team Trump Treason?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    the almighty flying spaghetti monster
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    I know it's hard but, try not to taint every thread you come across.
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    Neva hoid of it.

Has anybody pointed out that maybe it should be "I was fearful for my life"?

dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    Snitty.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    Snitty.
    no. its fucking tiresome. seriously.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    Neva hoid of it.

https://www.venganza.org/about/
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    Neva hoid of it.

https://www.venganza.org/about/
    A god with big balls.  Well OK then. :lol:     

mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    P.S.

Not sure what FSM is. 
    Snitty.
    no. its fucking tiresome. seriously.
    I'm sorry some on here don't share my sense of humour when it comes to Team Trump Treason and our ghastly one degree of separation.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/moby-penis-rub-donald-trump-knob-touch-831286/

Lighten up. Seriously.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.