any vocalists here that do punk screams?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
I can't get it working.
Always end up with a sore, dry, phlegmy throat after a session of screaming along to some punk.
I try push on my diaphragm when I do it but can't stop irritating my voice.
Any tips? I've watched YouTube.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Does watching YouTube make one a better singer?
    I wish, I am awful.
    Watched lots of YouTube, although I suppose First We Feast & Jack Jack Plays videos won't really help....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Not sure, maybe, but everyone needs tailored teaching.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I can't get it working.
    Always end up with a sore, dry, phlegmy throat after a session of screaming along to some punk.
    I try push on my diaphragm when I do it but can't stop irritating my voice.
    Any tips? I've watched YouTube.
    I do know that the singer from Atreyu had to change his style because he was going to destroy his voice.

Bennington from Linkin Park was a well known screamer and voice coaches had commented that he won't last if he does that all the time.

Hetfield changed up his voice too after getting vocal lessons.

So my question to you is are you using a "full voice" when you scream?  If so I don't think that is sustainable.
    I wouldn't have a clue haha. I just scream and try use my diaphragm. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I'm afraid I can't be of much help.  A friend in high school about 683 years ago had this garage band that got an occasional local gig.  This friend asked if, at their next gig, I would run out onto the stage in the middle of them playing a cover of Jeff Beck's "Beck's Bolero" and scream like on the record.  I told him I had no idea how to scream.  Besides, who want's to try to outdo Keith Moon?!

If you don't get the punk scream down, maybe a deeper punk growl?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I want to do everything haha.