Mentally disabled man with toygun shot dead in Sweden

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited August 2018 in A Moving Train
Biggest news story in Sweden right now. Made me cry last night hearing about it.

Three police officers fired their weapons at a guy with Downs syndrome, who could barely say more words than "mommy",  who had escaped his home:

Police opened fire in the Vasastan district of the Swedish capital early on Thursday morning following what they described as a "threatening situation".

The man who was shot at was taken to hospital but later died, and on Thursday afternoon his family spoke to several Swedish media outlets to explain that he was a 20-year-old with Down Syndrome and autism who had left home with a toy gun.

On Friday morning chief prosecutor Tidén explained that a preliminary investigation has been launched to clear up exactly what happened.

"It has emerged that the object was some kind of toy. It has also emerged that more than one officer fired their service weapon," he said in a statement.

"It is routine to initiate a preliminary investigation when police use their service weapon against a person, but at present no police officers are suspected of any crime. The preliminary investigation is started in order for us to be able to take investigative measures."

Tidén added the the incident is "very tragic" and he understands that "many want answers quickly", but appealed for investigators to be allowed to carry out their work "methodically and thoroughly in the usual way", noting that there is no time scale and no further information will be released at present.

Stockholm's regional chief of police Ulf Johansson also commented on the incident for the first time on Friday, saying that "it is very tragic for everyone involved, and I understand and respect that what happened has caused a great feeling of upset".

https://www.thelocal.se/20180803/disabled-man-was-shot-at-by-more-than-one-police-officer-chief-prosecutor

Sixth person being shot dead by Police in Sweden this year - which is the highest number in history (Since keeping statistics).

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I feel bad for this family.  

I am tired however of hearing people ask why officers don't shoot the arm or leg....IF they believe they need to fire, this aint the movies, they are aiming at the biggest mass.  Also in the article she mentions it was obvious he had Down's and was like a 3 year old.  A 3 year old with a gun can do some damage (just see the US for this).

If this was in America I would know why it happened.  Because of our gun culture police are quick triggered.  And I think due to terrorism, every gets even more anxious when something like this is going on.  Any idea about the police culture in Sweden?  I always hear differently than this would make it seem.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Heart braking really sad poor family to have to endure this after taking care of him for 20 yrs no one wins in this story , it’s not a time to blame but rather reflect ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Heart braking really sad poor family to have to endure this after taking care of him for 20 yrs no one wins in this story , it’s not a time to blame but rather reflect ...
    I never understand the blame game....BUT you have to investigate and determine what lead to the conclusion.  It's not "blaming" if its a true investigation with an eye to improvement.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2018
    This is really heartbreaking for everyone involved. Very unfortunate circumstances was leading in to this tragedy. A woman living in the same area had during the night called the police about her heavily violent ex. (Which was a well known criminal for the police) 
    In the same area was also a 20 yr old man with Down syndrome that had run from home in the middle of the night carrying a toy machine gun. I feel very sad for everyone involved in this horrible shooting.
  • Don't take this as blaming in any way, but I'm just not sure (in this day and age) that toy guns are the greatest idea. I certainly grew up with them and played with them as a child, but if I never had them... I would have played with other things and never miss a beat.

I don't know all the facts, but there have been recent stories of cops getting killed while exercising too much patience for the people they were pursuing (they're damned if they do and damned if they don't). I wouldn't be too quick to condemn the cop for his actions.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Don't take this as blaming in any way, but I'm just not sure (in this day and age) that toy guns are the greatest idea. I certainly grew up with them and played with them as a child, but if I never had them... I would have played with other things and never miss a beat.

I don't know all the facts, but there have been recent stories of cops getting killed while exercising too much patience for the people they were pursuing (they're damned if they do and damned if they don't). I wouldn't be too quick to condemn the cop for his actions.
    I believe it was three cops shooting. One shot going through a window, which seems to go against protocol.

We'll see what the investigation says. 

Tragedy nonetheless. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

I believe it was three cops shooting. One shot going through a window, which seems to go against protocol.

We'll see what the investigation says. 

Tragedy nonetheless. 

Agreed. Awful.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Don't take this as blaming in any way, but I'm just not sure (in this day and age) that toy guns are the greatest idea. I certainly grew up with them and played with them as a child, but if I never had them... I would have played with other things and never miss a beat.

My thought exactly.  We weren't allowed to have toy guns when I was a kid.  I just don't think they're a good idea for any kid. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Only government should have guns, right?

Just another example of police murder. 
  • unsung said:
    Only government should have guns, right?

Just another example of police murder. 

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I haven't seen the toy gun.  Some of those guns look real, especially from a distance.  Who thought it would be a good idea to give this individual a toy gun?  Hard to fault the police, especially the Swedish police ....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    My kids have never had toy guns.  The more I think about toy guns the  more utterly  ridiculous the idea is. This story is tragic 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    "Three policemen shot 25 bullets against Eric Torell, 20, when shot dead at the beginning of August, according to Expressen.
    Three shots met. The killing shot hit his back.
    The information is confirmed by lawyer Thomas Nilsson.
    The policemen claim that they killed Eric in self-defence.
    The 20-year-old, with Down's syndrome, had that night escaped with a toy weapon."

"The investigation shows that the light conditions in the morning were good and that the faces and expressions of a person in the courtyard could be registred, even from a higher POV and from 20 meters away.

Eric Torell, 20, had Down's syndrome and could only say the word "mom". He was short, around 150 centimeters, wearing a black toy weapon missing some parts that he brought when he left his father's apartment in the middle of the night."
    So what's going to happen to the cops?  25 shots?  That's just crazy?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2018
    My kids have never had toy guns.  The more I think about toy guns the  more utterly  ridiculous the idea is. This story is tragic 
    Anything other than a Nerf gun or a Super Soaker seems completely unacceptable to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    We have Fart Blasters in our household. Those things are a hoot.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Do they have specialized Fart Blasters?

Silent But deadly
    wet one
    etc?

hippiemom = goodness
  • So what's going to happen to the cops?  25 shots?  That's just crazy?
    The investigation is not finished yet.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    Do they have specialized Fart Blasters?

Silent But deadly
    wet one
    etc?

No, but you can set it to go off in something like 20 or 30 seconds. So you do that and then sneak it under someone's chair at dinner or next to the dog's crate. It's never not funny. Especially the dog. Dumb dog.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited April 2019
    Investigation finished.

Google translate:

Three police officers are charged - two for misconduct and one for causing another's death
    Swedish newspaper Expressen has seen the plaint/lawsuit application: One police is prosecuted for causing another's death, the other two for misconduct.

"When Eric Torell, in a subsequent stage, turned his back on the police, NN, without any longer being entitled to emergency protection, has fired a shot that hit Eric Torell in the back and caused his death," the lawsuit claims.

It has previously been known that four police officers have been investigated. In addition to the three police officers who were at the scene, a police sergeant has also been included in the preliminary investigation.

The female police who were at the scene in connection with the shooting have during the investigation been dismissed from suspicions. The other three - all men - have remained. It is the three who have been charged.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Investigation finished.

Google translate:

Three police officers are charged - two for misconduct and one for causing another's death
    Swedish newspaper Expressen has seen the plaint/lawsuit application: One police is prosecuted for causing another's death, the other two for misconduct.

"When Eric Torell, in a subsequent stage, turned his back on the police, NN, without any longer being entitled to emergency protection, has fired a shot that hit Eric Torell in the back and caused his death," the lawsuit claims.

It has previously been known that four police officers have been investigated. In addition to the three police officers who were at the scene, a police sergeant has also been included in the preliminary investigation.

The female police who were at the scene in connection with the shooting have during the investigation been dismissed from suspicions. The other three - all men - have remained. It is the three who have been charged.
    huh. so thats what accountability looks like. hope it brings some measure of solace to his family.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    When I saw the title I was worried about our friend Spiritual...then I saw he posted it.

I keed.

Based in what you know of the case, did the outcome make sense Spiritual?
    hippiemom = goodness
    When I saw the title I was worried about our friend Spiritual...then I saw he posted it.

I keed.

I don't know enough about it. But, colored by the US maybe, I thought they would get off scott free. Now at least there will be a trial. So, we'll see.

I keed.

I don't know enough about it. But, colored by the US maybe, I thought they would get off scott free. Now at least there will be a trial. So, we'll see.
    Would you know if the police released an image of the toy gun...some toy guns looks awfully real?
    Give Peas A Chance…

I keed.

Would you know if the police released an image of the toy gun...some toy guns looks awfully real?
    Yes. In the article. Give me a second.

I am no gun expert...but I'm guessing they might have a strong defence that the gun is very real like.  But that would also depend on how far away when the victim was shot.  Seems like a tragedy all around.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

I am no gun expert...but I'm guessing they might have a strong defence that the gun is very real like.  But that would also depend on how far away when the victim was shot.  Seems like a tragedy all around.  
    The police officer being charged with manslaughter got charged with that because he shot when the victim was turned with his back against them moving away.

The police officer being charged with manslaughter got charged with that because he shot when the victim was turned with his back against them moving away.
    That changes everything.  
    Give Peas A Chance…