Joker starring Joaquin Phoenix

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited April 2019
    DewieCox said:
    The most recent DC movies get a bad rap. Man of Steel and Wonder Woman are as good as all but the best 3 or 4 Marvel movies. Justice League and Aquaman are solid. Most of the Marvel movies are about an hour too long and most are drastically overrated. Haven’t worked up the courage to watch Suicide Squad, so toake thst into consideration.

I say this as someone that thinks comic book characters are cool as shit but doesn’t care about comic storylines or accuracy outside of major points like their powers and most of their origin.
    Watching Suicide Squad is like being at a party with someone changing song in the Spotify playlist every 30 seconds.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Poncier said:
    Jason P said:
    They need to give Tim Burton another shot at one of these

So we can see Johnny Depp as Joker and Helena Bonham Carter as Harley Quinn? No thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWG2t_ZugU

Poncier said:
    Jason P said:

So we can see Johnny Depp as Joker and Helena Bonham Carter as Harley Quinn? No thanks.
    No. So we could see Michael Keaton in a The Dark Knight Returns setting. Old Man Michael Keaton being Batman again would be gold. 
    No again.

I like Batman dark not bubblegum like the first 3 movies.  That was more reminiscent of the TV show.  The comic has far surpassed those days thanks to Frank Miller.

I had promise for Leto as the Joker.  I really am tired of a different actor playing the Joker every time they decide to do another film granted Heath Ledger died and Nicholson is old but have better insight.  If you knew you were going to further tell the Joker story than why not stay with Leto?

So now I am hoping that Phoenix is the chosen one for all future Joker nods...
    .... in what way were the first, or even the first half of Batman Forever bubblegum. Please. 

Rather have some stylistic noir than poor mans Heat like TDK.

Guess why they didn't stay with Leto or that vision... take a wild guess...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Agree, even the film scorching hotness that is Margot Robbie could not help that shitheap of a movie.  Leto may have been the worst part of it.
    CROJAM95 said:
    Leto was as terrible as terrible could be...….That movie was a flaming piece of shit

These movies are going to be made regardless, just make them well and im all good with it. Who knows if Joker will be good, but I kind of like what i see.
    Really?  I enjoyed it.

Critics hated it but fans enjoyed it, plus it gave every gal an excuse to dress up like Harley Quinn to Comicon and Halloween that year.
    Good call on costumes.  Hated the movie but love that side benefit 
    Definitely no shortage of Daddy's Lil Monsters that year for Halloween!! :flushed:      
    Agree, even the film scorching hotness that is Margot Robbie could not help that shitheap of a movie.  Leto may have been the worst part of it.
    CROJAM95 said:
    Leto was as terrible as terrible could be...….That movie was a flaming piece of shit

These movies are going to be made regardless, just make them well and im all good with it. Who knows if Joker will be good, but I kind of like what i see.
    Really?  I enjoyed it.

Critics hated it but fans enjoyed it, plus it gave every gal an excuse to dress up like Harley Quinn to Comicon and Halloween that year.
    Good call on costumes.  Hated the movie but love that side benefit 
    Definitely no shortage of Daddy's Lil Monsters that year for Halloween!! :flushed:      
    Yuck.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Poncier said:
    Jason P said:

No. So we could see Michael Keaton in a The Dark Knight Returns setting. Old Man Michael Keaton being Batman again would be gold. 
    No again.

I like Batman dark not bubblegum like the first 3 movies.  That was more reminiscent of the TV show.  The comic has far surpassed those days thanks to Frank Miller.

I had promise for Leto as the Joker.  I really am tired of a different actor playing the Joker every time they decide to do another film granted Heath Ledger died and Nicholson is old but have better insight.  If you knew you were going to further tell the Joker story than why not stay with Leto?

.... in what way were the first, or even the first half of Batman Forever bubblegum. Please. 

You didn't like The Dark Knight?!?

So, bubblegum for the first 3 movies,yes.

The first one was good.  I liked it but then the next two were turds.  The bad guys were cartoonish.  So while I liked Nicholson Joker it was still a poor rendition of the new Batman but a great representation of the 60's era show.

Like I said, Frank Millers The Dark Knight Returns changed Batman forever and it's what I grew up reading. Killing Joke and Arkum Asylum are all must reads if you haven't.  They steered away from the feel nice of comics and brought a real and grittier feel.

Tim Burton directed one of my favorite movies of all time in Mars Attacks.  That is not what  want in a Joker/Batman story...

Poncier said:
    Jason P said:

No again.

The first one was good.  I liked it but then the next two were turds.  The bad guys were cartoonish.  So while I liked Nicholson Joker it was still a poor rendition of the new Batman but a great representation of the 60's era show.

Like I said, Frank Millers The Dark Knight Returns changed Batman forever and it's what I grew up reading. Killing Joke and Arkum Asylum are all must reads if you haven't.  They steered away from the feel nice of comics and brought a real and grittier feel.

Tim Burton directed one of my favorite movies of all time in Mars Attacks.  That is not what  want in a Joker/Batman story...

In what crucial way does Nicholsons Joker really differ from the one in The Killing Joke? If you take away one try-hardey layer of being provocative just to be provocative from The Killing Joke? "But he doesn't rape Gordons niece! He must rape someone to be taken serious!"
    And what's real about strapping Gordon to a roller-coaster - oh wait, what if he has to watch his niece get raped while riding it!

Nicholson channels Romeros Joker a bit sure. But still, he has his seriously dark moments too. But Batman Returns is my favorite out of the two. A beautiful movie to look at. The Burton movies are fantastic and imaginative but still drenched in black. It's a dark comic with larger-than-life characters. It's more in line with the comics you listed than Nolans lifeless entries.

I liked The Dark Knight. But it should have been cut up into two movies and not rushed through so much plot. It should have ended when Dent turned into Twoface, or even before that and saved it for a third film. And it's still try hard in its way to try to make it Heat-grounded but still bloodless PG13. It's way overrated. To use an overused word.  I prefer Batman Begins with Scarecrow. 

And I don't see in what way Burtons two movies aren't "gritty". They're gritty but still comics. TDK feels like a TV-drama at points. 

We can all at least agree the Joel Schumacher films really sucked ass, right?  (Even though Val Kilmer was the best Batman.)
    edited April 2019
    We can all at least agree the Joel Schumacher films really sucked ass, right?  (Even though Val Kilmer was the best Batman.)
    Keaton was most fun to watch. 

I like Batman Forever reasonable until they change in the film to the plastic looking costumes. And Robin starts to take up space.Then it turns to ass. 

But the first half of it is pretty respectful to Burtons universe, look wise. It's not terrrible. 
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    It'll be forever before I watch Batman Forever

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Batman Forever has a good soundtrack.... I liked it when it came out, I was also only 14 or 15......what did I know. Tried to watch it last year, didn't do it for me

Anyone watch Gotham? Its almost finished for good......its pretty much all over the place, new villain every week, similar plots.....but I kind of like it
    Keaton was most fun to watch. 

I like Batman Forever reasonable until they change in the film to the plastic looking costumes. And Robin starts to take up space.Then it turns to ass. 

But the first half of it is pretty respectful to Burtons universe, look wise. It's not terrrible. 
    Yeah, agree on Batman Forever.  It had promise for a while, then the air let out of the balloon.  Keaton was great.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    CROJAM95 said:

Anyone watch Gotham? Its almost finished for good......its pretty much all over the place, new villain every week, similar plots.....but I kind of like it
    The casting of the villains on Gotham is great. Especially the guy playing the future Joker (Jerome and Jeremiah Valeska), he's better than Nicholson, Ledger and Leto combined. And the Riddler, Penguin and Victor Zsasz are extremely well cast.
    This season has been pretty uneven, trying to cram everything in and wrap up the series I guess, but still too bad its ending.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Poncier said:
    Jason P said:

No again.

In what crucial way does Nicholsons Joker really differ from the one in The Killing Joke? If you take away one try-hardey layer of being provocative just to be provocative from The Killing Joke? "But he doesn't rape Gordons niece! He must rape someone to be taken serious!"
    And what's real about strapping Gordon to a roller-coaster - oh wait, what if he has to watch his niece get raped while riding it!

Nicholson channels Romeros Joker a bit sure. But still, he has his seriously dark moments too. But Batman Returns is my favorite out of the two. A beautiful movie to look at. The Burton movies are fantastic and imaginative but still drenched in black. It's a dark comic with larger-than-life characters. It's more in line with the comics you listed than Nolans lifeless entries.

I liked The Dark Knight. But it should have been cut up into two movies and not rushed through so much plot. It should have ended when Dent turned into Twoface, or even before that and saved it for a third film. And it's still try hard in its way to try to make it Heat-grounded but still bloodless PG13. It's way overrated. To use an overused word.  I prefer Batman Begins with Scarecrow. 

And I don't see in what way Burtons two movies aren't "gritty". They're gritty but still comics. TDK feels like a TV-drama at points. 

The Burton movies aren't gritty they are grainy.  That is the only way I see them as dark because they were filmed dark...

Maybe that is what you are thinking?

Also you forgot that while on the roller coaster the joker fed him acid and pictures of his niece in a pool of blood were blasting everywhere to make Gordon go insane.  There is a mindfuck that Alan Moores Joker has that Nicholson's does not, not even close.

What is the craziest thing that Nicholson's Joker does in the movie?  Kills Bruces parents?  That never happened!!!

The whole reason for the Batman movie was because of Killing Joke and Dark Knight's comic success which I see zero parallel to in Batman.

I do appreciate the back and forth though.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Batman Returns is way under rated and is a beautiful movie to watch. Burton received a lot of flack from the studio for taking it in that direction. And yes, Keaton will always be the best Batman. He could balance the necessary emotions without being over the top, which is my one complaint about Bale.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Poncier said:
    CROJAM95 said:

The casting of the villains on Gotham is great. Especially the guy playing the future Joker (Jerome and Jeremiah Valeska), he's better than Nicholson, Ledger and Leto combined. And the Riddler, Penguin and Victor Zsasz are extremely well cast.
    This season has been pretty uneven, trying to cram everything in and wrap up the series I guess, but still too bad its ending.
    I agree, that guy is pretty good.....TV lets you develop the character over time.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    tbergs said:
    Batman Returns is way under rated and is a beautiful movie to watch. Burton received a lot of flack from the studio for taking it in that direction. And yes, Keaton will always be the best Batman. He could balance the necessary emotions without being over the top, which is my one complaint about Bale.
    Bale is an awful actor. Anyone can gain and lose weight. Acting takes talent. Dude has zero.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    Bale is an awful actor. Anyone can gain and lose weight. Acting takes talent. Dude has zero.
    wow.....not even close. To say hes overrated, ok everything in this ass backwards world that is considered good is probably  a lil overrated. To say the man has no talent? Cmon cmon, lets relax a bit

Didn't you say some Adam Sandler movie that wasn't Billy Madison or Waterboy was better than you thought recently in the movie thread? You my friend are disqualified =)
    CROJAM95 said:
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    wow.....not even close. To say hes overrated, ok everything in this ass backwards world that is considered good is probably  a lil overrated. To say the man has no talent? Cmon cmon, lets relax a bit

Didn't you say some Adam Sandler movie that wasn't Billy Madison or Waterboy was better than you thought recently in the movie thread? You my friend are disqualified =)
    He's this generation's Kevin Costner, who couldn't even play a corpse in The Big Chill.

I will say that Costner was great in Molly's Game, though. Maybe he took some acting lessons during his hiatus.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:

He's this generation's Kevin Costner, who couldn't even play a corpse in The Big Chill.

I will say that Costner was great in Molly's Game, though. Maybe he took some acting lessons during his hiatus.
    Costner always looks like he's half asleep or been drinking all day.....Didn't Dances with Wolves rob Godfellas at the Oscars?  Let me know when Bale is part of something as bad as Waterworld….. Christ
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I liked Waterworld (OK ,mostly because everyone shit on it) and I like Bale in some movies, although he appears to be a world-class douche and his Batman voice was awwww-ful.
    Also like Billy Madison, that shit is funny.  (Waterboy, not really.)
    Bale has been in Exodus:Gods & Kinds, Terminator:Salvation, Swing Kids, and Newsies.  All of these movies were less than Waterworld, imo.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited April 2019
    I liked Waterworld (OK ,mostly because everyone shit on it) and I like Bale in some movies, although he appears to be a world-class douche and his Batman voice was awwww-ful.
    Bale has been in Exodus:Gods & Kinds, Terminator:Salvation, Swing Kids, and Newsies.  All of these movies were less than Waterworld, imo.

I'll join in that I liked Waterworld as well. I highly expected to hate it because it was so ragged on, but besides the collossal cost to make it at the time, it was a pretty entertaining and decent movie that could probably slide in after the first few Mad Max movies when it comes to post apocalyptic world movies for me. Never been a huge Costner fan, but he made some great movies in the late 80's early 90's. He completely fell off after For Love of the Game. I think both Waterworld and The Postman buried him.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:

I'll join in that I liked Waterworld as well. I highly expected to hate it because it was so ragged on, but besides the collossal cost to make it at the time, it was a pretty entertaining and decent movie that could probably slide in after the first few Mad Max movies when it comes to post apocalyptic world movies for me. Never been a huge Costner fan, but he made some great movies in the late 80's early 90's. He completely fell off after For Love of the Game. I think both Waterworld and The Postman buried him.
    Yeah, I never saw why it was so bad.  Never thought it was an Oscar winner but it is entertaining.  Has a young Jack Black, a hot Jeanne Tripplehorn, crazy Dennis Hopper...I said for a while in the 90s that my 2 favorite movies were Showgirls & Waterworld, just to get a reaction from people.  I like Showgirls considerably less than Waterworld but it was still fun to put out there and see people bug out. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    One role I thought Costner played quite well, which fits in somewhat with this thread, was Jonathan Kent in Man of Steel.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Costner makes for some awesome baseball movies!
    Jake Taylor>Crash Davis
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Looks great.
    Yeah, it looks awesome! I think this is my "most anticipated movie of the year" pick.
    It will for sure suck but the new Terminator is mine. Seeing Arnold and Sarah back together. Just too bad they couldn't get Edward Furlong in there - fit and sober.
    Best Terminator=Shirley Manson

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Jake Taylor>Crash Davis
    Saw your wife at the Capri Lounge last night. Hell of a dancer, you must be very, very proud.
    dankind said:
    Jake Taylor>Crash Davis
    Saw your wife at the Capri Lounge last night. Hell of a dancer, you must be very, very proud.

I SAW PEARL JAM