Options

Are we done?

Comments

• Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    I wonder if there will be some new posters.
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,909
    I don't think he's saying the lifestyle is easy, but that we are underestimating that there are hardships and exhaustion that come with it. 

Sure, its not physical labor. Its not digging ditches for 10 hours a day. But if an office job can wear you down, touring lfe can wear you down (I'm talking about the band, not the fan - the fan has a choice). Yes, what PJ doe sis easier than 95% of the jobs out there, but its not to say they don't get bogged down by it. Hell., just posting/lurking here daily wears me out. Imagine engaging with the fans during the touring months. Its like posting here x 1,000,000.

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    They are in a position to do what they want, when they want. We should all be so lucky.
    True. So we can probably back off when they don't tour or record and just wait for whatever happens.
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 903
    kinda tiered of clicking on this thread. I get sucked into it every day. I know before I even click on it that it will be just a pissing match. Yes, I know, "then dont click on it"! I get it. Out
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 611
    First world problems.  That’s all there is to this thread 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    aidt17 said:

Nope.   It is just a PJ message board and people are talking about PJ and the future.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
    aidt17 said:

Nope.   It is just a PJ message board and people are talking about PJ and the future.
    Could you imagine there was no one complaining of no shows and wanting to see this band again soon?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    tbergs said:
    just a question...how many of u saying they work only 3 hours .....go on tours and multiple shows?
    like leave your house 1st of june and return 1st july?
    like travel away from home for a month..traveling every second day..pack ,unpack,..go to and from airports,change continent,have different hours per continent and countries,change the time u sleep,,the time u shit,the time u eat,change bed every 2 days .go meet different peoople ,in different countries,talk with people english isnt their first language..away from family,.,do production for your job,rehearshal,.go to work hours before those 3 hours performance,and stay hours after the show...give interiews,meet peole u dont know and maybe dont have the mood to meet ,and be 50-55-60 years old?
    im doing that as a fan...the longest i did was was 32 days on the road...well,,itsa a torture..and i diodnt have to work,,,i was on vacation..and its exhausting!!
    only that u  must travel the next day is killing u,,your body hurts all the time,the mussles,the legs from standing..u need t catch the next light ,be on airport the ime u have to be..be away from family,and your habits,..change all your horario ,from summer ion your coun try u go to winter.or the opposite,,from a dry place u go to humid place,your fuckin bones killing u...
    and in the top of that u need to perform and make people happy and enjoy..no matter if feeling ok,have a headache,,your stomach hurts,if u cant take a shit from the different food and times u eat and sleep,,the show must go on...
    well..im telling u,cos i do it at every tour,,,its fuckin difficult,,touring is away for difficult than 3 hours of show and cos u dont tune your instruments..
    the only huge plus they have is they get paid well and after tor they can rest.....me as a fan.,..im fucked cos i need rest but i have to work after tour.cos tour was my vacation days..last year went to 11 shows europe tour...32 days  total on the road..ill tell u this...this year i go to only 1 ev solo show..and im happy i will not travel like last year for a month......

Sounds like torture having that much time and money to follow a band. Torture. 
    u dont have a clue how much effort and work and how much pressure i put in my personal life to save money for a month tour..its torture indeed
    No disrespect Dimi, but that is not torture. People starving in this world and immigrants fleeing horrendous living conditions is torture. Any of us choosing to spend thousands to follow a band around is the exact opposite of torture and a privilege millions can't afford. I'm sorry, I can't sympathize with you or this band for a lifestyle based in privilege.
    Νo one with my health problems will do what I do. For me is  difficult. But same time love this band so much, i I don't complain but I know is difficult. Touring is hard for all. Band-crew-fans
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    just a question...how many of u saying they work only 3 hours .....go on tours and multiple shows?
    like travel away from home for a month..traveling every second day..pack ,unpack,..go to and from airports,change continent,have different hours per continent and countries,change the time u sleep,,the time u shit,the time u eat,change bed every 2 days .go meet different peoople ,in different countries,talk with people english isnt their first language..away from family,.,do production for your job,rehearshal,.go to work hours before those 3 hours performance,and stay hours after the show...give interiews,meet peole u dont know and maybe dont have the mood to meet ,and be 50-55-60 years old?
    im doing that as a fan...the longest i did was was 32 days on the road...well,,itsa a torture..and i diodnt have to work,,,i was on vacation..and its exhausting!!
    only that u  must travel the next day is killing u,,your body hurts all the time,the mussles,the legs from standing..u need t catch the next light ,be on airport the ime u have to be..be away from family,and your habits,..change all your horario ,from summer ion your coun try u go to winter.or the opposite,,from a dry place u go to humid place,your fuckin bones killing u...
    and in the top of that u need to perform and make people happy and enjoy..no matter if feeling ok,have a headache,,your stomach hurts,if u cant take a shit from the different food and times u eat and sleep,,the show must go on...
    well..im telling u,cos i do it at every tour,,,its fuckin difficult,,touring is away for difficult than 3 hours of show and cos u dont tune your instruments..
    the only huge plus they have is they get paid well and after tor they can rest.....me as a fan.,..im fucked cos i need rest but i have to work after tour.cos tour was my vacation days..last year went to 11 shows europe tour...32 days  total on the road..ill tell u this...this year i go to only 1 ev solo show..and im happy i will not travel like last year for a month......

u dont have a clue how much effort and work and how much pressure i put in my personal life to save money for a month tour..its torture indeed
    Then why do it? Sounds like you hate it.
    I fuckin  love it.. But is so hard and not easy at all.. Like working 3 hours.. Lol. Is hard and difficult for fans-band-crew

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    The moment you charge for a fan club, I’d say you owe something. What that something is, I don’t know.

If the 10CL were to shut down, I would agree they owe us nothing.
    Well yeah, the fan club owes us our paid dues. I don't think anyone disagrees there, not even me.  But Pearl Jam themselves do not owe us an album, an explanation for the long wait since the last one, nor do they need to live up to anyone's interpretation or expectation of what or how long recovering from a tour takes, and they certainly don't owe anything to anyone questioning their work ethic.

I agree to the extent they need to be less forthcoming with fake news on  press releases about their future.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maybe they don't like traveling?  I know most people here (me included) would think going to Europe for a month would be a hoot, but maybe after they've done it several times over the past 25 years, they are bored of it?  So maybe being on the road and being away from family or home is "tiring" to them.  

Jesus, nobody knows shit about these guys and what they do or how they feel.  Who the fuck knows what is going on in their personal lives? Maybe their kids have shit going on that makes it so they don't want to leave home or make a record.  Maybe they have sick family members.  Maybe they don't like each other.  It could be one thing with one guy. It could be several things with all of them.  

They'll put out a record or announce tour plans when they are ready to do so. Until then, find something else to do. 
    Well Jeff has straight up admitted that he hates touring. He just doesn't like having to move from city to city, live out of a suitcase... I think he's more of a homebody. That's where I'd be if I were in the same situation. I'd hate to leave my own bed and my pet for that long amount of time, going from hotel to hotel for work. It sounds like a total drag to me... Of course, I'd totally do it if I made the kind of money these guys do, lol.

Do a few residencies (5 shows in 4 cities for example) would have them on tour a little over a month, cut down on the grind of traveling, and make it easier for families to tag along. And find pet friendly hotels.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    jeffbr said:
    It's their goddamned jobs! It is what they signed up for. It is why they're paid exorbitant amounts. I certainly hope people aren't trying to empathize with their "plight.: Christ, they are some of the most privileged in society. Why people are trying to make them out to be put upon or making great sacrifice is way beyond me. These are dudes who play musical instruments and perform in front of people for a living. And it is what they chose to do. Something most of us can only fantasize about. Poor, poor PJ. Give me a break. These guys don't work their asses off. They are in a position to do what they want, when they want. We should all be so lucky.
    And they are still human beings with emotions so stop acting like just because they're rich & get to travel the world that they're just never supposed to be exhausted from the grind or hell, just want to lay low on the radar for a while.
  • Options
    my_wave said:
    this all began, in my opinion, with the announcement of the vinyl single ending, and it's all been downhill from there because no one knows what the fuck is going on, and while there has never really been much communication from the band with the fans, i think as fans living in the social media age where most bands give daily updates and are very open about touring/recording/updating fans/etc... and those bands still at least let you know what's going on even when nothing's really happening, 99.9% of bands just seem more open and are out there updating everyone on a daily basis and communicating with their fans, and with pj we don't have that, so everyone freaks out and makes assumptions and gets anxious and paranoid and we become filled with what if's...  and i think the reason is because this isn't just a band to us, it's part of who we are, it's something deeply embedded in us all because there is so much passion and love in the fanbase... so just like in relationships, when there's no communication it's fucked up, but this band for whatever reason chooses not too be open and as fans we have to respect that, as much as it sucks, and then you add the ten club's lack of communication about anything and that just adds fuel to the fire, and so here we are... it's obvious no one cares or they'd address the situation, but it is what it is, so all we can do is be patient and wait and hope for the best, and maybe eventually they'll tell us why there was no communication, but probably not... it's all just very depressing, for me anyways, i miss the band i love, maybe we're all going through withdrawal... no more vinyl single and we've all been a mess ever since...
    You hit the nail on the fucking head with that opening statement.  The rest of the post is great, too!  But that one little thing happened and all hell broke loose ever since.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jeffbr said:
    They are in a position to do what they want, when they want. We should all be so lucky.
    True. So we can probably back off when they don't tour or record and just wait for whatever happens.
    Exactly. No argument here. Doing what they want will inevitably bring comments, however. They aren't immune from that. I personally think the band is a legacy act, but I also think they've earned it, and am thrilled for the experiences and memories I have of some epic shows in epic locations. They had an amazing run. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jeffbr said:
    It's their goddamned jobs! It is what they signed up for. It is why they're paid exorbitant amounts. I certainly hope people aren't trying to empathize with their "plight.: Christ, they are some of the most privileged in society. Why people are trying to make them out to be put upon or making great sacrifice is way beyond me. These are dudes who play musical instruments and perform in front of people for a living. And it is what they chose to do. Something most of us can only fantasize about. Poor, poor PJ. Give me a break. These guys don't work their asses off. They are in a position to do what they want, when they want. We should all be so lucky.
    And they are still human beings with emotions so stop acting like just because they're rich & get to travel the world that they're just never supposed to be exhausted from the grind or hell, just want to lay low on the radar for a while.
    Sure they are, and sure they're allowed to be tired once in a while. I'm just laughing at all of the sycophants here who think these guys grind it out day in and day out and are just tremendously overworked. There some real lack of perspective to reach that conclusion. These guys are not among the hardest working people in our population. They have some of the easiest jobs imaginable, set their own schedules, work on projects when they want, travel with family where and when they want, buy what they want when they want. They don't need our sympathy. That's all I'm saying. It is laughable that people try to make them out to be martyrs or so put out. It's silly.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736

Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    If i was the band i would milk the shit out if you fuckers and have Bezos money by now lol
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    edited April 2019
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:
    Sure they are, and sure they're allowed to be tired once in a while. I'm just laughing at all of the sycophants here who think these guys grind it out day in and day out and are just tremendously overworked. There some real lack of perspective to reach that conclusion. These guys are not among the hardest working people in our population. They have some of the easiest jobs imaginable, set their own schedules, work on projects when they want, travel with family where and when they want, buy what they want when they want. They don't need our sympathy. That's all I'm saying. It is laughable that people try to make them out to be martyrs or so put out. It's silly.

I was thinking the other day that the band seems to be treated as if they have sacrificed so much for us.  These guys were in their 20's and instead of working jobs they wanted to have fun and be in a band.  Being in a huge band isn't easy I'm sure, and they gave up (especially Ed) their anonymity, but it isn't like they got their success by going to medical school and then working night and day on rotations.  They wrote some kick ass music that people loved and were will willing to pay millions for.  They are free rolling (except Ed who has no privacy).   I'm sure it was stressful too trying to write the next "hit". 

This is not meant to be a negative post, just an observation.  It is a two way street completely. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:
    This is the real take away. Its happening to both defenders and detractors. 99.9% of us don't know any shit about the workings of the band, the club, or management. All we know is what we see and we make inferences. Correct or Incorrect, Its probably best just to take what is said and done at face value and try not to read into anything.

• Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,434
    ponner1us said:

Well, That's the end of this thread!
    Image result for well thats the end of this suit

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    mcgruff10 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I still stand by my opinion that they work only three hours a day.  Sounds like you got quite the life. I’d love to go away with my wife for even a week and tour with the band let alone a month. 
    Is it true that you don’t get more than two weeks off from work in the US? In Europe if you have a decent job you get 4-6 weeks which is really nice. So yes, if you manage to save enough money it’s possible to go around Europe for a month. It’s surprisingly affordable if you plan well in advance. 
    Depends on the job bud. Most of my friends get four to six weeks off but I don’t know anyone that would use it all at the same time. I love pj but no way I’d want to follow them for a month.  However no one is going to get any sympathy from me after telling us about the stress and sacrifices you endure while being on vacation while following your favorite band.  
    I thought you're a history teacher. :confused: You work the summers?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:
    This is the real take away. Its happening to both defenders and detractors. 99.9% of us don't know any shit about the workings of the band, the club, or management. All we know is what we see and we make inferences. Correct or Incorrect, Its probably best just to take what is said and done at face value and try not to read into anything.

Yeah but what's said and done includes ominous comments made by band members in magazines. None of us need to sit around and pretend those things weren't said. That's part of what we are taking at face value.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    No one says ominous stuff. They give vague updates and don’t commit to certainties. People jump to conclusions, or make assumptions based on very little info. 

Mike said they haven’t recorded and he wants to. All of a sudden people are speculating that a breakup is imminent. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,843
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I still stand by my opinion that they work only three hours a day.  Sounds like you got quite the life. I’d love to go away with my wife for even a week and tour with the band let alone a month. 
    Is it true that you don’t get more than two weeks off from work in the US? In Europe if you have a decent job you get 4-6 weeks which is really nice. So yes, if you manage to save enough money it’s possible to go around Europe for a month. It’s surprisingly affordable if you plan well in advance. 
    Depends on the job bud. Most of my friends get four to six weeks off but I don’t know anyone that would use it all at the same time. I love pj but no way I’d want to follow them for a month.  However no one is going to get any sympathy from me after telling us about the stress and sacrifices you endure while being on vacation while following your favorite band.  
    Yeah summer job since I was 14.  My wife teaches too so our salaries go down to zero in July and August. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    they make thc gel caps now that are odorless and colorless. i love life
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    my2hands said:
    i am done with wrigley and i hope all other artists follow my lead
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah summer job since I was 14.  My wife teaches too so our salaries go down to zero in July and August. 
    Booo! Too bad! You teachers should get paid more.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    they make thc gel caps now that are odorless and colorless. i love life
    :smile:
  • Options
    For the record, PJ doesn’t travel like the typical fan. Their time in transit and in hotels is about as nice as it can get. There are no financial stresses related to travel either.

It’s also the price of fame. Look at athletes and their travel schedules.

I’m hoping for a tour waaaaay more than I am a new album. I’m okay with their catalogue as it is- their last few albums have lacked passion and haven’t added much to their legacy if we’re being honest.

That being said... they can choose to do as they please. But so can you as a consumer.
    "My brain's a good brain!"