50 Greatest Grunge Albums. From Mudhoney to Mother Love Bone and beyond

Comments

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Only Ten and Vs?
    Puh-lease. 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    I was wondering about that too... I love these lists but in the end they’re highly subjective 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited April 2019
    I'd love just once for Nevermind to not be #1.
    They don't have to put PJ first, just not Nevermind for once.
    And I agree, just Ten and Vs. And how does Ultramega OK and Louder Than Love make it and not Down on The Upside?
    Live-Throwing Copper and Bush - 16 Stone should have been on there too. If you count Smashing Pumpkins ans grunge, then they definitely count.

Is the description for VS accurate? Describing the inteded name as "Five Against One, which was both a line from their new song “Animal” and an admission that frontman Eddie Vedder was divided against his four bandmates and their manager Kelly Curtis." 
    I always thought the 5 against 1 was PJ vs the record company.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    rummy said:
    Only Ten and Vs?
    Puh-lease. 
    Stylistically, I guess you can argue that Vitalogy was a departure from the "grunge" sound (whatever that hell that even was). 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    rummy said:
    Only Ten and Vs?
    Puh-lease. 
    Stylistically, I guess you can argue that Vitalogy was a departure from the "grunge" sound (whatever that hell that even was). 
    Good point but I was surprised to see an album like Mellon Collie on there.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    It’s a very Rolling stone type list. Obvious stuff is obvious, lots of dropped balls in rankings. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Terrible list. Hole at 4???  Really?!?  This made me wish I hadn’t wasted my time even looking at this stupid fucking list.   
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Pearl Jam the only ones of the big 4 to only have 2 albums in this list while the others have 3 or more
    I miss igotid88
    edited April 2019
    ....at least they have two in the top 10??? Nah, not good enough for me either.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'd swap Superunknown & Badmotorfinger.  Hole at 4 is a joke.  I get Mudhoney's importance, I just don't know how anyone can listen to them.  And I agree with mace, just ONCE, Nevermind needs to not be #1.  It's not a bad list by any means, though. And Nevermind is still a really fucking good album, I will say that.
    Remember when MTV used to do those Top 100 videos of all time countdowns?  Jeremy was #1 for two years, then Cobain died and suddenly Teen Spirit took the top spot.  Don't get me wrong, both are great videos and you could argue either's case for #1 (at the time).  But it was just funny how Teen Spirit wasn't good enough (in MTV's eyes) to be #1 when he was alive, but it was after he died.
    ^Same idea with In Utero. It initially had negative reviews from the mass media but they all seemed to flip their opinions once he died.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    My favorite top video list was when they did top 10 live performance. Back when MTV actually stood for Music TeleVision they'd have different top 10 list every Friday for a couple of years, and when it was top 10 live performances it was always PJ and Young doing RITFW. Great video!
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

Soundgarden’s Kim Thayil: My Favorite Grunge Albums

From Nirvana’s ‘Bleach’ to ‘God’s Balls’ by Tad, the guitarist shouts out records by Seattle-area bands

By Kory Grow

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    not sure why when I was reading that it was in the voice of that guy from Behind The Music. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I recall Teen Spirit, at least where I was, and on much music, was bigger than Jeremy or anything PJ had done up to that point. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

the Pumpkins are not grunge. never were. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I recall Teen Spirit, at least where I was, and on much music, was bigger than Jeremy or anything PJ had done up to that point. 
    It was indeed (at least in southern Ontario, too).
    I don't think any "grunge" song by anyone was ever bigger than Teen Spirit, however. 
    The first two albums come "close" but definitely not afterwards. I think "Drown" being included on the Singles soundtrack created a stronger, even if imaginary, connection.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    rummy said:
    The first two albums come "close" but definitely not afterwards. I think "Drown" being included on the Singles soundtrack created a stronger, even if imaginary, connection.
    Might be their best song
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Do you guys consider "grunge" the music from seattle (from 88-95/6) or is Grunge more the American alternative rock sound from that same period. 

I've always considered it the alternative rock sound until about 95-96ish. So Pumpkins were "grunge". Because PJ and Nirvana could be any more worlds apart in sound. So why wouldn't any other band from that era that wasn't from Seattle.

Do you guys consider "grunge" the music from seattle (from 88-95/6) or is Grunge more the American alternative rock sound from that same period. 

I've always considered it the alternative rock sound until about 95-96ish. So Pumpkins were "grunge". Because PJ and Nirvana could be any more worlds apart in sound. So why wouldn't any other band from that era that wasn't from Seattle.

I agree.
    rummy said:
    It was indeed (at least in southern Ontario, too).
    I don't think any "grunge" song by anyone was ever bigger than Teen Spirit, however. 
    Song, absolutely Teen Spirit was the biggest.  Video, on the other hand, MTV gave Jeremy the edge up until Kurt's death.  I think Teen Spirit might have even been #3 behind November Rain.  I might be wrong on that, but Teen Spirit was definitely bumped up to #1 posthumously.
    edited April 2019
    NewJPage said:
    rummy said:
    Might be their best song
    It is indeed solid. In my top 10, for sure.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    My first reaction was, "What the...???" 

And then I noticed it was published on April 1st.  OK, haha, funny!

Now, if it hadn't been published on April Fool's Day I would have continued with...

First off- the Stooges- grunge?  You gotta be kidding me.  Huh?

Black Flag, grunge?  OK, come on.  Really?

Neil Young and Crazy Horse, gru... I can't even say it.  That's just pure sacrilege. 

Singles, grunge?  I guess Rolling Stone never heard of Paul Westerberg, Led Zeppelin, or Jimi Hendrix.  Good God, did all the original R.S. writers die already?

And this:  Have any of the bands on this list ever referred to themselves as "grunge".  Not that I know of.  If they did, they probably sucked at that time anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

my view on grunge changed over the years. originally, I lumped anything that was alt-rock-ish into it, like the Pumpkins. I lived in kind of a rock music bubble, though, where the only stuff I had access to was what was on the radio (Winnipeg wasn't exactly a music mecca at that point). The only grunge groups I knew of were the ones that got radio play, or were on the Singles soundtrack. 

it only came later that I discovered all of the actual grunge bands, and found out I wasn't really a fan of real grunge at all. I liked more of the "grunge pop" like Nevermind (I hated Incesticide when it first came out, and didn't like some of the harsher songs on Nevermind at the time, which I later came to appreciate). 

I don't like Mudhoney much (live opening for PJ I walked away from-it was horrendous). And most of the other true grunge bands I'm not a fan of. 

And PJ got lumped in with grunge simply because of geography and fashion. you are absolutely correct that their sound is worlds apart from Nirvana and really any other seattle band. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

Now, if it hadn't been published on April Fool's Day I would have continued with...

Neil Young and Crazy Horse, gru... I can't even say it.  That's just pure sacrilege. 

Singles, grunge?  I guess Rolling Stone never heard of Paul Westerberg, Led Zeppelin, or Jimi Hendrix.  Good God, did all the original R.S. writers die already?

And this:  Have any of the bands on this list ever referred to themselves as "grunge".  Not that I know of.  If they did, they probably sucked at that time anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I had the same thoughts as well, Brian, but I think the writer was going for albums that also had an influence on grunge bands, a hint of what was to come, so to speak. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    brianlux said:

I had the same thoughts as well, Brian, but I think the writer was going for albums that also had an influence on grunge bands, a hint of what was to come, so to speak. 
    Good point.  I guess I'm being a critic's critic!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    rummy said:
    ^Same idea with In Utero. It initially had negative reviews from the mass media but they all seemed to flip their opinions once he died.
    I can't speak for other mass media outlets but Rolling Stone gave it a rave review:

You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    Yefa said:
    rummy said:
    I can't speak for other mass media outlets but Rolling Stone gave it a rave review:

To quote pitcher Roger Clemens, I might be "mis-rembering" but I am sure I read a handful of negative reviews of the album back in 1993. That 4.5-star review from RS certainly isn't the one I was recalling (but thanks for posting it!).