2003-2006 In My Tree is the best version

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
edited March 2019 in The Porch
The guitar intro over the drum intro any day.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

2003-2006 In My Tree is the best version 38 votes

Yes, Guitar intro was a stroke of genious
18%
mcgruff10lastexit78droptheleash9MysteryTrainSirens4drakeheuer14Liner 7 votes
Sacrilege! Drum intro has to be there!
81%
NewJPageDr. DelightmaverickWma31394jdopjTheLongRoadLedbetterman10xnothingmanxvedpunkten-vs-vitalogyCarryTheZeropjsteelerfanBrainofBGAPA JammertbergsDewieCoxruggs1996PB11041Kearn5yRS151862 31 votes
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited March 2019
    It's not the guitar intro that brings it down a notch. It's the organ solo. I quite like the slow guitar intro.

Go for Columbus 2000 or Toronto 2011. There were also a couple good ones in 2009 but I can't recall the date/venue right now.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I would love to listen to this although I'm fairly certain it "is" sacrilege without the drums. What is the exact date of this performance? I'm having trouble finding it. One of my top 5 PJ songs and any version would be amazing to hear.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    I would love to listen to this although I'm fairly certain it "is" sacrilege without the drums. What is the exact date of this performance? I'm having trouble finding it. One of my top 5 PJ songs and any version would be amazing to hear.
    Any version from 2003, 2004, 2005 or 2006 I guess :)

Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWdpVLXIkc
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    Fargo 2003 is fab

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I like the guitar intro much better than the drum intro.  Although I absolutely hated the organ solo. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    eboweddie said:
    Fargo 2003 is fab
    THIS. I was there. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Gotta be Jack
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    If there are two things in the pearl jam live canon I cannot get behind they are - reworked Tree with way over the top church organ fill and Mike's inability to play anything resembling other than nails on a chalkboard during No Way.   There is a reason BoB dials that minor color fill way way way back in the mix on Yield.  You just need a sip not a 40.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I can't believe anyone is choosing guitar. Preference is anything Jack, Matt drums, guitar and way down behind Ed taking a dump on the drum, Boom solo with his organ.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Any version from 2003, 2004, 2005 or 2006 I guess :)

Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWdpVLXIkc
    Right. I was at work when I originally read this and I feel like a dullard now. The link you posted was unavailable but I did listen to the Fargo '03 Hugh and Ebo suggested. It was played very slowly and was soo f'n cool. I am biased towards this song though. I am obsessed with the tribal beats of Jack Irons. I got this version at my second PJ concert  with Jack Irons in '96. I was 19 and on shrooms so I became one with this. ;)

https://youtu.be/M5qIDL23ab0

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Shrooms!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    Shrooms!
    No Code live on shrooms... 

:bawling:  :bow:  :confounded::clap::dizzy::i_dunno::bee::rofl:  :giggle:  :hang_loose:  :heart::hug:

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I don't think I've ever disagreed more with an opinion on this board. But...to each their own. 

Speaking of short-lived, crappy song alterations, remember the reworked version of Garden they did? It was around this 2003-2006 era if I'm not mistaken. Just awful. 

I kinda like the new down-tuned Do The Evolution though. Not that I like it better that how it was, but DTE is my favorite PJ song (maybe my favorite song overall actually) so it's cool to hear a new spin on it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

I kinda like the new down-tuned Do The Evolution though. Not that I like it better that how it was, but DTE is my favorite PJ song (maybe my favorite song overall actually) so it's cool to hear a new spin on it. 
    I'm never able to hear downtunings... when was the first tour they downtuned?
  • edited March 2019
    They have been playing songs a step down or two for a while now, at least since 2009. 
    Post edited by Dr.Teeth and the Electric Mayh on
    looking to hear of the earth
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Shrooms!
    No Code live on shrooms... 

:bawling:  :bow:  :confounded::clap::dizzy::i_dunno::bee::rofl:  :giggle:  :hang_loose:  :heart::hug:

🍄🍄🍄
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

I don't think I've ever disagreed more with an opinion on this board. But...to each their own. 

Speaking of short-lived, crappy song alterations, remember the reworked version of Garden they did? It was around this 2003-2006 era if I'm not mistaken. Just awful. 

See I absolutely loved the reworked garden!! 
    mcgruff10 said:

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

I'm never able to hear downtunings... when was the first tour they downtuned?

@Spiritual_Chaos
    I'm not sure if it's even something they do often or when it started because I don't really listen to too many official bootlegs from recent years. But I was at the Fenway shows this year and like 10 seconds into the song, I noticed there was something different. Here check it out and see what ya think: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a5fc6866710c55b63544279b5bfaca8620190323141912/3faaf2
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mcgruff10 said:

I thought it was great live. 
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited March 2019
    Drum intro all the way. This great song has been a train wreck post 2003. Vocals as well. Kind of like the guitar intro for wma circa 2008...jeesh. Why not an extended drum solo to open if Matt is so good??
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    The 2016 performances of WMA weren't too bad.
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,357
    I have a soft spot for the reworked In My Tree, and I think the version from Live at the Garden is the definitive version of the song in that incarnation. The organ solo is an odd choice, but I never minded it. I honestly believe they tried the original version in Fargo but couldn't remember and quite get it together which is how they ended up with that strange hybrid version.

However, bringing back the original version in Vancouver 2009 just makes you realise how great the original is. It needs the drum intro to maintain that rustic, tribal vibe.  I FINALLY heard it live in Berlin last year, and I know it wouldn't have felt the same if it had been the alternate version.

Alternate Garden, though. I can definitely get behind that. Listen to Lisbon night 2 from 2006. It's perfect, and the crowd singing the original chorus while Ed sings it in the lower register just adds to the whole thing.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    The Rock said:
    I have a soft spot for the reworked In My Tree, and I think the version from Live at the Garden is the definitive version of the song in that incarnation. The organ solo is an odd choice, but I never minded it. I honestly believe they tried the original version in Fargo but couldn't remember and quite get it together which is how they ended up with that strange hybrid version.

However, bringing back the original version in Vancouver 2009 just makes you realise how great the original is. It needs the drum intro to maintain that rustic, tribal vibe.  I FINALLY heard it live in Berlin last year, and I know it wouldn't have felt the same if it had been the alternate version.

Alternate Garden, though. I can definitely get behind that. Listen to Lisbon night 2 from 2006. It's perfect, and the crowd singing the original chorus while Ed sings it in the lower register just adds to the whole thing.
    I'll have to check Berlin, I didnt know it was the original drum version.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    Wma31394 said:
    The Rock said:

I think the reworked version was between 2003-2007. When In My Tree returned after that it has been with drum intro.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Wma31394 said:
    The Rock said:

I think the reworked version was between 2003-2007. When In My Tree returned after that it has been with drum intro.
    Correct, but it was never played in 2007.  Relatively speaking they played it quite a bit in 2009 and 2010.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

PB11041 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    The Rock said:

Correct, but it was never played in 2007.  Relatively speaking they played it quite a bit in 2009 and 2010.  
    Weird of me saying 2007 then. Haha. Maybe because I count it as the "avocado tour" together with the 2006 tour