Bob Dylan on the 28th of June...

2»

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    ry75guy said:
    If you haven't seen Dylan, I'd say see him. Every time he comes in town, I see him. Everything everyone writes above is true. His voice is very raspy. He completely rearranges songs so that they're essentially new. He doesn't address the crowd (even to say thanks for coming). But I think it's still absolutely amazing. I didn't know any of this going in the first time I saw him and I really didn't like the show. If you go in knowing what you'll see (same setlist every night), I think he's amazing. I love his reworked songs. After more than 50 years playing the same songs over and over again, I don't blame him changing them up to keep them interesting to him and his fans. A must see in my humble opinion. 
    I've seen him twice. But in the age his in - I will see him a third time. Eddie in Berlin is sadly off the table.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Eddie Vedder, Berlin
    demetrios said:

Last Bob Dylan show I saw live was hard to watch. The band couldn't catch up to Bob. He was all over the place. And this was a decade ago. Shocked he's still going, though if Ed still tours @ the age of 77 and mumbles like Bob, I'll still see him live.

Hahahaha!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    Eddie Vedder, Berlin
    I'd rather listen/see cats claw a chalkboard before i hear/ see Bob Dylan play.
  • Eddie Vedder, Berlin
    I saw Bob Dylan in 1979, and really enjoyed the concert, but I would never go see him today. Unfortunately, I think his voice is gone, even if the band sounds good. I wish I could see Eddie on his solo tour! Hopefully there will be a US tour sometime in the future.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,475
    cutz said:
    I'd rather listen/see cats claw a chalkboard before i hear/ see Bob Dylan play.

+1
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Saw Dylan a few years ago, told myself it was a "bucket list" thing to do. It was, by far -- by very, very, very far -- the worst concert I've ever seen. We left as he was doing great violence to "Tangled Up In Blue;" the song was wholly unrecognizable and I would have had no idea what it was did I not catch a mumbled "tangled up in blue" coming from the stage. The sound sucked (not necessarily his fault); stage lighting virtually non-existent; no interaction with the audience AT ALL. Seriously, save your money and listen to his albums at home. 
    Oddly enough, this makes me want to see him lol
  • I SAW BOB....May 1998... One Special Evening... Cried for three days straight up...his essence, poetry and musicality lit my soul...800 witnesses in a small venue in Vancouver...led to 4 ùPearl Jam concerts that summer...life has never been the same since that soulful spiritual season of musical awakening...cut to July 2017...9 PJ concerts later and I SAW BOB again...mysterious majestic master o sound transformed a 14,000 seat hockey arena into a blissful ballroom.. I could feel the spirits synaptically square dancing creating mandalas of energy forever floating in days of yore and fore...ever and ever 

p.s.  Eddie is not to be missed... cherished and blessed are those that can see both in any given season or lifetime,,
    pps.  both Dylan's voice and band were incredibly clear... melodic at every turn of phrase...indelible,,, 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Well, shit. I need to see Bob lol
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    Eddie Vedder, Berlin
    my2hands said:
    Saw Dylan a few years ago, told myself it was a "bucket list" thing to do. It was, by far -- by very, very, very far -- the worst concert I've ever seen. We left as he was doing great violence to "Tangled Up In Blue;" the song was wholly unrecognizable and I would have had no idea what it was did I not catch a mumbled "tangled up in blue" coming from the stage. The sound sucked (not necessarily his fault); stage lighting virtually non-existent; no interaction with the audience AT ALL. Seriously, save your money and listen to his albums at home. 
    Oddly enough, this makes me want to see him lol

Um, well, hmm. Yes, I see.

No. No, I really don't see. What have I done??

Was I just upset that he didn't play all of his hits? No, that's not it. Truth is, I have no idea WHAT he played because the music was unfamiliar and the words unintelligible. I was willing to hear new tracks or deep cuts -- the man's a poet, I'm open to hearing the words, regardless of the quality of his voice. I couldn't understand a thing he said/sang/vocalized/whatever.

If Ed came out on stage, noodled around on his uke for a while, improvising variations on "Turkey in the Straw" while mumbling into his shirt, and you managed to make out the words "washed in black" amidst the mumbling, would you feel that you had seen a performance of "Black"? Would you be happy -- or even satisfied -- with what you had seen? 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919

If Ed came out on stage, noodled around on his uke for a while, improvising variations on "Turkey in the Straw" while mumbling into his shirt, and you managed to make out the words "washed in black" amidst the mumbling, would you feel that you had seen a performance of "Black"? Would you be happy -- or even satisfied -- with what you had seen? 
    I think it would have been cool.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    Eddie Vedder, Berlin
    Dylan is terrible live
    Often unintelligible and no or minimal hits

However if this is a bucket list thing then go for it 
  • jromejrome Posts: 69
    Last one I went to and he was great.

Utica, New York
    Stanley Center For The Arts
    Stanley Theatre
    November 15, 2018

1. Things Have Changed (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)
    2. It Ain't Me, Babe (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)
    3. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel)
    4. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on piano and harp, Donnie on pedal steel)
    5. Cry A While (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)
    6. When I Paint My Masterpiece
    (Bob on piano and harp, Donnie on pedal steel)
    7. Honest With Me (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)
    8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)
    9. Scarlet Town (Bob center stage, Donnie on banjo, Tony on standup bass)
    10. Make You Feel My Love (Bob on piano and harp, Donnie on pedal steel)
    11. Pay In Blood (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)
    12. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
    13. Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel, Tony on standup bass)
    14. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
    (Bob on piano and harp, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
    15. Love Sick (Bob center stage, Donnie on pedal steel)
    16. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin)
    17. Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano. Donnie on pedal steel)
    18. Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel)

(encore)
    19. Blowin' In The Wind
    (Bob on piano and harp, Donnie on violin, Tony on standup bass)
    20 All Along the Watchtower
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    edited March 2019
    I‘m hoping for Masters of war! (With Eddie and Bob actually... like Eddies version even better)
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • otterotter Posts: 753
    I cannot vote 
    I found my place......and it's alright