25 dollars for a 7 song EP..?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
edited March 2019 in The Porch
Heard from a friend that the Pearl Jam East Street vinyl is "surprisingly expensive" to buy for the record store he works at. Might be a "swedish" thing, but expensive is obviously relative to other releases over here.

Is 25 dollars for a 7 song album an example of Gee-Arr-Eee-Eee-Dee-Gee-Arr-Eee-Eee-Dee! (?) :P or is the price normal?

Sounds quite expensive too me. I remember buying the CD cheaper than full length albums. And Rolling Stone said in their review of the CD: "...released through indie stores and priced to move."
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    You love making threads, I love seeing what you come up with next lol 

it is an “exclusive” release after all
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2019
    I have no idea... Do you mean the record store had to pay $25? So what will that be for consumers? Like $40? I actually don't know what the markup normally is. Anyone?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have no idea... Do you mean the record store had to pay $25? So what will that be for consumers? Like $40? I actually don't know what the markup normally is. Anyone?
    Prices in american webstores seem to be around $25. Don't know exactly what they paid for them or what the markup is. There are no swedish prices listed yet.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    It's $25.  Depending on the store you go to, it could be +/- $1 or so.  
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Most new vinyl these days start at $20-25  and then price down if they don't move. It is a short time track for even a single vinyl record though.  Typically if the time breaks work you want to get approximately 20 minutes per side.  The entire first side could very well be everything but Porch.  Would have been a good opportunity to toss in a "bonus" track.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Prices in american webstores seem to be around $25. Don't know exactly what they paid for them or what the markup is. There are no swedish prices listed yet.
    Oh, I see... Well, how long is it time-wise? I think they probably don't count the songs, but instead consider the play time. If it's a regular length LP (say over 35 minutes?), then $25 USD retail seems normal to me.... unfortunately. Because yeah, that's expensive. Records are too damned expensive now.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PB11041 said:
    Most new vinyl these days start at $20-25  and then price down if they don't move. It is a short time track for even a single vinyl record though.  Typically if the time breaks work you want to get approximately 20 minutes per side.  The entire first side could very well be everything but Porch.  Would have been a good opportunity to toss in a "bonus" track.

Maybe it's a cool 10 inch package?
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    PB11041 said:

Oyyyy I hope not.  
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Bring back the days where I bought 10 records for $5
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Bring back the days where I bought 10 records for $5
    YES PLEASE!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    It honestly doesn't seem terribly out of line to me.  I've purchased some RSD items that I believe were similar in price.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    deadendp said:
    It honestly doesn't seem terribly out of line to me.  I've purchased some RSD items that I believe were similar in price.  
    Same
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Probably a touch much. But Its RSD. 97% of the releases are overpriced. Its a cash grab, but its also meant to help out Indie stores (as well as marking up helps cut down some secondary market prices)

Lets be honest, if people think it costs too much, they don't need to buy it. 

• RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    12" singles usually are $15 on RSD. $25 for this is actually cheaper than I thought it would be.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Sounds like a decent price to me...
    when will we hear more about the exclusive 10 Club version?
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

proab 4/10. Or on RSD when they go up.

$25 for 7 songs on RSD is nothing. I bought that RATM LP last year for about that and its 6 songs and was recorded by a video camera.

Easy Street at least sounds great and has 2 killer covers that aren't on any boot as far as I know.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Easy pass for me
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pipes5977pipes5977 Rhode Island Posts: 318
    I thought the whole show was gonna be released? 
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited March 2019
    proab 4/10. Or on RSD when they go up.

I was kind of thinking on RSD too...
    Didn't they do that with the SOLAT / Breath or Citizen Dick?

Bull Moose has the Live At Easy Street for $23.97...

Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    pipes5977 said:
    I thought the whole show was gonna be released? 
    We have not seen any evidence of this. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    $25 seems about right for RSD. Maybe the standard release will be cheaper but I doubt it.
    edited March 2019

Yes, of course. And this is why I on here - and elsewhere - have argued for a long time that Pearl Jam need to raise their ticket prices. Squeeze as much as they can from that first few rows - people will obviously pay for it. Fans thinking it costs too much - don't have to buy.

I also, for the sake of the band and their personal wealth, think they should ask another $10-15 for their t-shirts. Bands like e.g. Ghost and KISS ask for 40-50 for a t-shirt - and I for one think that Pearl Jam is leaving money on the table on their t-shirts -- and also other tour merch.

Please consider reading my op-ed on this subject @ gonnafleeceyoufuckernotgonnaloseyou.net

:)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    PSUS2H said:
    PB11041 said:

Oyyyy I hope not.  
    ten inch records are cute.

• mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    The good old days ;)

225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    mrk2 said:
    The good old days ;)

dear lord, thanks for dropping that anvil on our head.  When vinyl freaking cheaper than CDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

Yes, of course. And this is why I on here - and elsewhere - have argued for a long time that Pearl Jam need to raise their ticket prices. Squeeze as much as they can from that first few rows - people will obviously pay for it. Fans thinking it costs too much - don't have to buy.

I also, for the sake of the band and their personal wealth, think they should ask another $10-15 for their t-shirts. Bands like e.g. Ghost and KISS ask for 40-50 for a t-shirt - and I for one think that Pearl Jam is leaving money on the table on their t-shirts -- and also other tour merch.

Please consider reading my op-ed on this subject @ gonnafleeceyoufuckernotgonnaloseyou.net

:)
    I fully agree with Tim's point...but this is funny shit. Well done.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Did this went sale? 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Did this went sale? 
    Its going on sale on RSD, which is...April 13 or something