What classic album poll should Mendoz create next?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Other
    DewieCox said:
    I know it’s just a silly term but I think people are misunderstanding what dad rock is. It started as a way to slag bands that still put out new music but it’s the sanitized, safe late career stuff. “Dad rock” is made by dads not consumed by them.

Pear Jam became dad rock when they put out Backspacer and after,  Wilco joined in when they put out Sky Blue Sky and beyond, for example.

I figured PJ became dad rock when all the male fans (the vast majority of the fans) became dads/old enough to be dads. I think Gen Z would consider Vs. dad rock just as much as they would Backspacer... then it would just be good dad rock vs shitty dad rock. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Did Wilco ever make another decent album after A Ghost Is Born? I remember buying Sky Blue Sky with a great deal of excitement because I loved both Wilco and Nels Cline at the time. What a colossal letdown that was. I did download their free album, which was good for the price. And Jeff Tweedy's book is pretty good (so far).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Other
    dankind said:
    Did Wilco ever make another decent album after A Ghost Is Born? I remember buying Sky Blue Sky with a great deal of excitement because I loved both Wilco and Nels Cline at the time. What a colossal letdown that was. I did download their free album, which was good for the price. And Jeff Tweedy's book is pretty good (so far).
    I thought Star Wars was pretty good.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Sky Blue Sky, The Album, Whole Love and Star Wars are all great imo. Not quite as good as Yankee or Summerteeth, but none of their other albums are either.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side
    My 6 year old says I rock. So I'm a Dad that rocks and a Dad who listens to rock. But 'Dad Rock'? Is this like 'Dad Bod'? Can we just leave Dad's the fuck alone?
    www.cluthelee.com
    Other
    Lighten up guys. I'm just joking around.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, the joke's on you, then. Because you know who has the best jokes?

That's right, dads! 

Dad jokes FTW!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Other
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, the joke's on you, then. Because you know who has the best jokes?

That's right, dads! 

Dad jokes FTW!!!

edited March 2019

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side
    PJ_Soul said:
    That was meant to the world, not you directly. Dad’s have sensitive skin too. #oldspice
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    How about something newer and/or less "dad rock" type bands? Like Modest Mouse, or R.E.M, or Radiohead, or QOTSA, or Portugal. The Man, or Gary Clarke Jr., or All Them Witches, or Dr. Dog, or Courtney Barnett, or The White Stripes or Jack White, or....
    Ha...most of those are dad rock, aren’t they? What are All Them Witches about? Not heard that name much.
    I've seen them called a "neo-psychedelic rock quartet", which describes them as well as anything I guess, except for the quartet part now. Just recently they ditched their keyboardist permanently, and are now a trio - it did not hurt their sound at all. But all I really know is that they're really good, and one of the true current younger rock bands that prove rock isn't dead at all. I saw them live a little while ago - they were great. I suppose not for everyone because of that "psychedelic" factor... anyway, they are super skilled - some of their riffs and extended jams are insane.

Here's their 2017 Live on KEXP session, for a taste (so with the since-dumped keyboardist).

They do a great cover of Voodoo Chile but I've pretty much loved all their stuff so far. I'd like to be able to see them live at some point.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Other
    Yeah, I roll my eyes every time I hear the term “dad hat.” I’m like, oh you mean the way you’re SUPPOSED TO FUCKIN WEAR A HAT?!?!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited March 2019
    The Who - Who's Next
    Odd, this notion of "classic rock" or "dad rock".  I may use those terms as a reference because that's the language, but I don't hear it that way.  Roots rock I get- Elvis, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry.  Other than that, to me it's just the jagged continuum called rock- an evolving music that has slow changes, sudden upheavals and stagnant periods with greatness percolating under the surface.

I dig
    Rock and roll music. 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    brianlux said:
    Odd, this notion of "classic rock" or "dad rock".  I may use those terms as a reference because that's the language, but I don't hear it that way.  Roots rock I get- Elvis, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry.  Other than that, to me it's just the jagged continuum called rock- an evolving music that has slow changes, sudden upheavals and stagnant periods with greatness percolating under the surface.

I dig
    Rock and roll music. 
    Yeah I agree, labels are mostly stupid. In the 80's we suddenly had "hair bands", cause nobody in the 70's had long hair.
    Labels such as rock, pop, soul, funk etc. are fine, but subdividing rock into 69 subcategories based on what a band wears or where they fix their gaze while on stage is just too much.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

I dig
    Rock and roll music. 
    Yeah I agree, labels are mostly stupid. In the 80's we suddenly had "hair bands", cause nobody in the 70's had long hair.
    Labels such as rock, pop, soul, funk etc. are fine, but subdividing rock into 69 subcategories based on what a band wears or where they fix their gaze while on stage is just too much.

To show how useless they are, I’ve never seen “roots rock” used to describe those acts.

I like “hair bands” as a label though, because it describes bands that care more about their hair than making good music. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Except some of those bands made good music.(Some did suck to be sure, but every era has its bands that suck) And some people started to lump in bands like Van Halen, Scorpions, Def Leppard and others who'd been around for a while as hair bands.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Other

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Other
    Yeah, I roll my eyes every time I hear the term “dad hat.” I’m like, oh you mean the way you’re SUPPOSED TO FUCKIN WEAR A HAT?!?!!
    I definitely prefer dad hats!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Other
    PJ_Soul said:
    The style, yes. The term, fuck no!  All that flat bill, high crown, leave the stickers on nonsense should be called "kid hats" or better yet "little fuckin douchebag hats."  What's next, not cutting the tags of your shirt and calling the normal way to wear it a "dad shirt?"  :lol:
    Other
    PJ_Soul said:
    The style, yes. The term, fuck no!  All that flat bill, high crown, leave the stickers on nonsense should be called "kid hats" or better yet "little fuckin douchebag hats."  What's next, not cutting the tags of your shirt and calling the normal way to wear it a "dad shirt?"  :lol:
    I call them mook hats, lol.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Other
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I rock my "mook' hat yo!
    Other
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I rock my "mook' hat yo!
    I meant the tall flat brimmed sticker hats are mook hats, not the dad hats, lol. Do you wear mook hats?? I thought you were too old for those! :lol:
    The worst is dads in mook hats.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Rolling Stones-Beggar's Banquet

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    The Who - Who's Next
    Pap said:

:plus_one:
    cutz said:
    Rolling Stones-Beggar's Banquet

:plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    There’s no ‘n’ in Medoz. :wink:
    Who is this guy Mendoz?  ;)
    Mendoz, the freshmaker!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    brianlux said:
    Great idea  Gambs!  I do believe our esteemed pollster, Mr. Medoz, previously mentioned having already selected the albums he intends to poll, but I like you suggestions.  Who's Next is my choice, not only because it is a killer album, but because it would be a close race to the finish.  Every song is a winner and the least among them reaches a level few bands can boast having had on any album. 

and Quadrophenia is even better!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    Great idea  Gambs!  I do believe our esteemed pollster, Mr. Medoz, previously mentioned having already selected the albums he intends to poll, but I like you suggestions.  Who's Next is my choice, not only because it is a killer album, but because it would be a close race to the finish.  Every song is a winner and the least among them reaches a level few bands can boast having had on any album. 

and Quadrophenia is even better!
    Concept album, though. I think of those as one long song. I guess it would be like voting for my favorite part of that song. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The Who - Who's Next

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10