Poll--The Weakest Link: Huey Lewis and the News 'Sports' Round 1

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Heart And Soul
    njnancy said:
    Ugh....I know his radio and MTV music but I'm not a fan. Was hoping for Van Halen's first album or something. 

I'll listen and vote cause I'm not gonna be a hypocrite. But...ugh.
    Not playing because you don't want to listen to the album doesn't make you a hypocrite. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    You Crack Me Up

Poncier said:
    Can't we vote for 7 or 8 bad tunes in one sitting to get this over with?
    Yes, just vote for the winner so that @MedozK can redeem himself with the next album. :smiley: 

I wanna a new drug to listen to this. Gotta go find my leg warmers and hair spray first. 
    You Crack Me Up
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    Ugh....I know his radio and MTV music but I'm not a fan. Was hoping for Van Halen's first album or something. 

Not playing because you don't want to listen to the album doesn't make you a hypocrite. ;)
    Yes it would - I said it's just music and what's the problem with just listening and voting. I know most of the songs but I will listen for the ones I don't know.

I keep seeing Huey Lewis' face going into a sink full of ice when I think of this.  Thanks for trying to give me an out PJ, I'll vote on them all. :weary:
    edited March 2019
    Heart And Soul
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:

Yes it would - I said it's just music and what's the problem with just listening and voting. I know most of the songs but I will listen for the ones I don't know.

I keep seeing Huey Lewis' face going into a sink full of ice when I think of this.  Thanks for trying to give me an out PJ, I'll vote on them all. :weary:
    Oh I see. Well, I skipped one because I just didn't want to spend that time listening to music I hate. For me, having to do that is definitely a problem, lol. I could be using that time listening to music I love!!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    You Crack Me Up
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    So, Huey seems a little more popular than Lynyrd.  :)
    That's a fucking crime!
    Ha, I know, but actually I really like both.
    I have found common ground with @dankind in these threads. Not that we ever went at it  :confused: - but I've agreed with everything  he's posted so far. We'll see what the future holds. And I can't help thinking that his choice is a commentary, instead of an actual pick. :lol:

My apologies to Huey fans, not a commentary on youse guys. 

Music is subjective.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Sitting this one out. Huey Lewis and the News isn’t music.
    edited March 2019
    Heart And Soul
    DewieCox said:
    Obviously it is. And I think it's just plain fun music, and nostalgic, plus they seem like such nice guys, lol. There is something very endearing about this band. We all know it's not the greatest music ever written.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Oh dang!  I'm too young to have heard this one when it came out.

Now wait a minute... a memory coming back.  Yeah, now I remember.  I was maybe 3 or 4, having a beer and some nachos at Chevy's, some song about hearts and rock and roll.  Sorry, that's all I've got this time around.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Finally Found A Home
    Poncier said:
    Can't we vote for 7 or 8 bad tunes in one sitting to get this over with?
    How about Voting  8 songs out of the  of 9?
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    ACDC
    Led Zeppelin
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Huey Lewis and the News (I really didn't see this one coming)
    ...what'll be next is anyone's guess!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Honky Tonk Blues
    rummy said:
    ACDC
    Led Zeppelin
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Yeah, seriously, pure popcorn music. Huey is one of those forgotten about bands that is on nobodies list of all time favorite, but everybody knows them in part because of Back to the Future.

It is weird to see so many here dismiss a guitar driven band like LS, but fully embrace a poppy nostalgia band from the 80's. Childhood memories are a strong influencer.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited March 2019
    Huey Lewis was a bit of a curve but at least I've heard of, seen the album before.  Better that than something too obscure like Blair 1523's Beautiful Debris- a record that would be fun for me and maybe the one other guy I know who has ever even heard that record, but probably not fun for most here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2019
    Quintessential 80s. I guess it's not hip to be square.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    You Crack Me Up
    DewieCox said:
    Dang man, I wouldn't even make that claim about Skynyrd.  It's ok to not like (or even downright loathe) an artist, but to say it's not music is flat out incorrect.
    You Crack Me Up
    MedozK said:
    Quintessential 80s. I guess it's not hip to be square.
    Huey Lewis and MTV go hand and hand for me. Back when it was 'Video killed the radio star' MTV. 
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Honky Tonk Blues
    tbergs said:
    rummy said:
    ACDC
    Led Zeppelin
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Yeah, seriously, pure popcorn music. Huey is one of those forgotten about bands that is on nobodies list of all time favorite, but everybody knows them in part because of Back to the Future.

It is weird to see so many here dismiss a guitar driven band like LS, but fully embrace a poppy nostalgia band from the 80's. Childhood memories are a strong influencer.
    This is the only acceptable popcorn music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxNnqTcHhg
    Honky Tonk Blues
    Not trying to be a music snob, I'm trying to get that song stuck in everybody's head for the day. :hug:
    You Crack Me Up
    Not trying to be a music snob, I'm trying to get that song stuck in everybody's head for the day. :hug:
    Just say no (to hitting play) :tongue:
    You Crack Me Up
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Why are there copies of the Style section all over the place?
    I've actually never seen the film. There are some scenes in that book that I just don't think that I could stomach, and I'm a huge horror fan.
    Whaaaat?!?!?! Dude, watch it!!! ... It's actually not unpalatable at all - not for a horror movie fan, anyway. I can't imagine you'll have any trouble stomaching this amazing, fucking fantastic movie.
    Huge, giant, letdown from the book...but still a crazy movie.  Haven't watched in a long time but I liked it.
    I also can't stand Christian Bale, so perhaps it's fitting that he plays the biggest douchebag of 20th century american literature.
    What movie is this?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Finally Found A Home
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I've actually never seen the film. There are some scenes in that book that I just don't think that I could stomach, and I'm a huge horror fan.
    Whaaaat?!?!?! Dude, watch it!!! ... It's actually not unpalatable at all - not for a horror movie fan, anyway. I can't imagine you'll have any trouble stomaching this amazing, fucking fantastic movie.
    Huge, giant, letdown from the book...but still a crazy movie.  Haven't watched in a long time but I liked it.
    I also can't stand Christian Bale, so perhaps it's fitting that he plays the biggest douchebag of 20th century american literature.
    What movie is this?
    American Psycho
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Finally Found A Home
    Listened to all of the songs...I will admit that I could not leave it on all the way through and had to do it in stages.  :lol: 
    Some songs that are classic representations of that "sound" but a bunch I am totally ok with voting off, at any point.
    I see now that others feel the same way with the voting all over the place.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    You Crack Me Up
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

What movie is this?
    American Psycho
    Thank you kindly. Heard of it, never saw it. 
  • Bad Is Bad
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am surprised anyone picked I Want a New Drug first, wow. That song's great. A classic.
    Says the dork that votes H&S?

What the hell have you been smoking woman?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Honky Tonk Blues
    njnancy said:
    Ha! Well played, Nancy.  B)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Honky Tonk Blues
    Heart and Soul has such a great guitar riff in it I can't believe that ANYONE would pick it...
    edited March 2019
    You Crack Me Up
    njnancy said:
    Ha! Well played, Nancy.  B)
    I thought that a visual should be added to the earworm effect -  (this is the Hot Butter version which is the one I knew as a child)

https://youtu.be/YfdLh0MHqKw

There's a 10 hour version of it on youtube :lol:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    You Crack Me Up
    tbergs said:
    rummy said:
    ACDC
    Led Zeppelin
    Lynyrd Skynyrd

This is the only acceptable popcorn music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxNnqTcHhg
    This makes me want to play retro video games!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Honky Tonk Blues
    Much easier than the Zep polls.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Listened to all of the songs...I will admit that I could not leave it on all the way through and had to do it in stages.  :lol: 
    Ha, I'm feel the same way about Pearl Jam's Lightning Bolt
    edited March 2019
    You Crack Me Up
    Much easier than the Zep polls.
    Very true. When you don't have any emotional connection to the music, it's quite easy. 
    Knew most of the songs. My ranking is how long I was able to listen before going to next song. I have my order of voting pretty laid out. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
This discussion has been closed.