Poll--The Weakest Link: Huey Lewis and the News 'Sports' Round 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
We have crowned our 2nd Champion and now will move onto another critically acclaimed album.
Back In Black Champion - Hells Bells
Led Zeppelin IV Champion - When the Levee Breaks
Second Helping Champion - The Needle and the Spoon

We will play this time to determine the GREATEST song on the album 'Sports' by Huey Lewis and the News
For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days I remove the three (3) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 2. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

Poll--The Weakest Link: Huey Lewis and the News 'Sports' Round 1 33 votes

The Heart Of Rock & Roll
3%
rgambs 1 vote
Heart And Soul
6%
PJ_SoulGtilley8 2 votes
Bad Is Bad
12%
dankindGern BlanstenThirty Bills Unpaidhauntingfamiliar 4 votes
I Want A New Drug
3%
ed243421 1 vote
Walking On A Thin Line
3%
pjsteelerfan 1 vote
Finally Found A Home
15%
cutzmadtowndaveAbe FromanBLACK35F Me In The Brain 5 votes
If This Is It
6%
PoncierDarthMaeglin 2 votes
You Crack Me Up
15%
mookieblalockjjflashHesCalledDyernjnancySmallestOceans 5 votes
Honky Tonk Blues
36%
jeffbr2-feign-reluctanceBIGDaddyWilOf The AggietbergspledgeagrievanceTim SimmonsRP112579JK_LivinHobbestempo_n_grooveOffSheGoes35 12 votes

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Sports was the third album by American rock band Huey Lewis and the News, released in 1983. It reached number one on the Billboard 200 on June 30, 1984. The album has been certified 7× Platinum by the RIAA. The album spawned four top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 and a fifth went top 20.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Heart And Soul
    Good one!! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Honky Tonk Blues
    Definitive 80's for me. Heart of Rock & Roll is one of my favorite songs and always brings me back to being a kid riding bike from sunrise to sunset.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    You Crack Me Up
    OK, whoa, this is gonna be tough.  Take how you all felt about Zep IV, that's how I feel about Sports. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound; a sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. :wink:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Finally Found A Home
    Know most of these (very well) as have heard a million time.  I will need to listen to the album again to rank 'em.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Heart And Soul
    I find Heart & Soul to be the most tedious song on the album I guess. There is a bit of a drag to it that made me choose it first. I could have also chosen Honky Tonk Blues; that will be my next choice.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    I Want A New Drug
    Jmo

i hate most 80’s music

i listened again, my notes:

1. H8
    2. Ok
    3. H8
    4. worst song ever
    5. cheese, crap solo, cheese
    6. cheese, crap solo, cheese
    7. cheese, crap solo, cheese
    8. cheese, crap solo, cheese
    9. piano > synthesizer 

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Honky Tonk Blues
    Easy pick this round. I can barely stand Honky Tonk.
    Honky Tonk Blues
    ed243421 said:
    Jmo

i hate most 80’s music

i listened again, my notes:

1. H8
    2. Ok
    3. H8
    4. worst song ever
    5. cheese, crap solo, cheese
    6. cheese, crap solo, cheese
    7. cheese, crap solo, cheese
    8. cheese, crap solo, cheese
    9. piano > synthesizer 

Haha! Hey, Huey wasn't known for breaking new ground, just capitalizing on some really poppy hooks and mass appeal songs. We covered Hip to Be Square in high school jazz band. Fun song to play on trumpet. Huey is one of the few bands I can immediately tie to a specific time in my life and only that time.
    Heart And Soul
    I am surprised anyone picked I Want a New Drug first, wow. That song's great. A classic.
    You Crack Me Up
    I'm tempted to vote for Honky Tonk Blues only because it's a cover, but they really did a number on it so I don't know. Man, this is tough.  Just listened to the whole album and they're all (as the kids say these days) bangers.
    So, Huey seems a little more popular than Lynyrd.  :)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    If This Is It
    Can't we vote for 7 or 8 bad tunes in one sitting to get this over with?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Can't we vote for 7 or 8 bad tunes in one sitting to get this over with?
    Well, at least 3 songs will be eliminated in round 1.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Bad Is Bad
    MedozK said:
    That's a fucking crime!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    That's a fucking crime!
    Ha, I know, but actually I really like both.
    Heart And Soul
    Just as a side note, for those who haven't already heard about lovely Huey Lewis's troubles with his tragic recent hearing loss from Meniere's disease. I find this so incredibly sad, but he is dealing with it as well as can be expected, it seems.

Bad Is Bad

I SAW PEARL JAM
    I Want A New Drug

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

You Crack Me Up
    dankind said:

Why are there copies of the Style section all over the place?
    Bad Is Bad
    dankind said:

I've actually never seen the film. There are some scenes in that book that I just don't think that I could stomach, and I'm a huge horror fan.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    edited March 2019
    You Crack Me Up
    The other Weakest Link albums made me want to give them a spin after having sat dormant for a while. This one not so much, ha. My dad had this tape back in the day, and hearing some of these songs again brings back the nostalgia of childhood.
    Post edited by jjflash on
    edited March 2019
    Heart And Soul
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I've actually never seen the film. There are some scenes in that book that I just don't think that I could stomach, and I'm a huge horror fan.
    Whaaaat?!?!?! Dude, watch it!!! ... It's actually not unpalatable at all - not for a horror movie fan, anyway. I can't imagine you'll have any trouble stomaching this amazing, fucking fantastic movie.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Heart And Soul
    jjflash said:
    The other albums made me want to give them a spin after having sat dormant for a while. This one not so much, ha. My dad had this tape back in the day, and hearing some of these songs again brings back the nostalgia of childhood.
    Fore! is definitely the superior album.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Finally Found A Home
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Whaaaat?!?!?! Dude, watch it!!! ... It's actually not unpalatable at all - not for a horror movie fan, anyway. I can't imagine you'll have any trouble stomaching this amazing, fucking fantastic movie.
    Huge, giant, letdown from the book...but still a crazy movie.  Haven't watched in a long time but I liked it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Bad Is Bad
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Huge, giant, letdown from the book...but still a crazy movie.  Haven't watched in a long time but I liked it.
    I also can't stand Christian Bale, so perhaps it's fitting that he plays the biggest douchebag of 20th century american literature.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I Want A New Drug

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Heart And Soul
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I also can't stand Christian Bale, so perhaps it's fitting that he plays the biggest douchebag of 20th century american literature.
    He is PERFECT for this role. Really, watch it. :)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I've never liked this kind of cheap music so i never ever listened to this band except when ever they would come on the radio and then i would just turn the dial , i'm out on this one ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    You Crack Me Up
    Ugh....I know his radio and MTV music but I'm not a fan. Was hoping for Van Halen's first album or something. 

I'll listen and vote cause I'm not gonna be a hypocrite. But...ugh.
This discussion has been closed.