*** EV Innings Festival Fanviews Here 3/3/19 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited March 2019 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Innings Festival
Tempe Beach Park, AZ
March 03 2019
Set List

On Stage 9:31
Off Stage 11:05
Walk On Music: Tuolumne

01. Keep Me In Your Heart-(Calderon, Zevon)
02. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
03. In God’s Country-U2 (verse & chorus only)
04. I Am Mine (forgets lyrics)

(Ed jokes with ALS interpreter about what signing “smoking pot looks like.”  He jokes with young person in the audience and admonishes them about smoking pot. 
Ed talks about a crew member who is having serious health issues.  He asks audience to send good energy to Tom Husman.)

05. Wildflowers-(Petty)
06. Wishlist
07. Maybe It’s Time-(Michael Jason Isbell) from A Star Is Born 2018
08. Far Behind
(Something-(Harrison)  Ed gives ukulele lesson sings about three lines while showing how to play the song-not really a cover.  Stops between lines to show chords)
09. Soon Forget
(Talks about the instrument museum)
10. Rise
11. Just Breathe (for Anthony and Emily and any other newlyweds)
12. Millworker-(Taylor) (Ed just plays the instrumental jam section which isn’t really part of the original song)
(Invites Joe Maddon on stage for some wine)
13. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
14. Unthought Known
15. Immortality
(Ed thanks the people who put on the festival and the audience.  Notes it is the second year.)
16. Lukin
17. Porch
18. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison) {played on pump organ}
19. Last Kiss-(Cochran)
20. Should I Stay Or Should I Go?-(Headon, Jones, Simonon, Strummer) {electric ukulele}
21. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
22. Hard Sun

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John, for the set list 

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited March 2019
    Fun show.  Great festival in general.  Incredibly well ran.

Eddie or no Eddie, I think I'm making this an annual tradition.

$430 for 2 day VIP, including all you can drink beers is maybe the best value I have ever gotten at a festival.  Throw in Spring Training baseball and perfect weather, and I am in for life.

Not to be a dick here, but can people please chill the fuck out with bringing huge signs and holding them up the whole goddamn show.  It's incredibly unfair to all the people behind you.

I'm sure you love your kid, and having Eddie acknowledge that his name is Vedder would be an amazing experience, but I had to spend the entire show staring at the back of your sign and it basically ruined the entire experience for me.

Please and thanks...

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    Wife and I had a great time!  Loved the setlist!  Immortality was a treat!

It’s weird cause I never saw the guy with the sign.  We were side stage and our only complaint was the camerawoman and the sign language girls.  It didnt
    block our view but I am sure people were pissed who were on the rail all day and then got to watch some woman sign every song and not see Ed.  
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Eddie covering Jason Isbell! Mind blown. Great night. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Agree on the signs. Annoying and rude. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.

It’s weird cause I never saw the guy with the sign.  We were side stage and our only complaint was the camerawoman and the sign language girls.  It didnt
    block our view but I am sure people were pissed who were on the rail all day and then got to watch some woman sign every song and not see Ed.  
    1st half of the show...kid on shoulders.  Fine, annoying as fuck, but fine.  I get how kids can't see shit unless they are propped up  and I totally get people wanting to introduce their children to Ed and PJ.  i would do the same thing if I had kids.

Then, kid on shoulders holding up huge green sign that says 'My name is Vedder too!.  Incredibly annoying.

Then, desperation that he might not acknowledge it.  Kid on shoulders, holding up huge green sign, along with everyone in the group holding up their camera's with the flashlight on against the sign, while waving it back and forth.

At some point a lightbulb needs to go off in your head that says, 'We are being selfish dickfaces here and should probably stop as we are clearly doing this in front of people that don't care and just wanna watch the damn show and this has got to be annoying as hell for them.'
  • High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Saltzy23 said:

1st half of the show...kid on shoulders.  Fine, annoying as fuck, but fine.  I get how kids can't see shit unless they are propped up  and I totally get people wanting to introduce their children to Ed and PJ.  i would do the same thing if I had kids.

Then, kid on shoulders holding up huge green sign that says 'My name is Vedder too!.  Incredibly annoying.

Then, desperation that he might not acknowledge it.  Kid on shoulders, holding up huge green sign, along with everyone in the group holding up their camera's with the flashlight on against the sign, while waving it back and forth.

At some point a lightbulb needs to go off in your head that says, 'We are being selfish dickfaces here and should probably stop as we are clearly doing this in front of people that don't care and just wanna watch the damn show and this has got to be annoying as hell for them.'
    Amen to that. That's actually worse than holding up a phone above your head facebook-living the show which happened to me at Wrigley last year. That's just annoying. Desperation is a good word ha ha. 
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
    edited March 2019
    I didn't take any pics with the kid holding the sign up, cause what would the point of that be, but this was essentially my view for the entire show...

I flew across the damn country just for this hour and a half of my favorite person doing my favorite thing and I got a huge green sign directly in my site line for probably 75% of it.

Thanks Vedder.  Appreciate it dude...

Post edited by Saltzy23 on
  • pierj53pierj53 Posts: 301
    edited March 2019
    I second the comment on what a fantastically run festival this was. Blew pilgrimage out of the water a few years ago. Hardly any lines (I had a GA bracelet). My only gripe was corona seemed to sponsor, but I’m being picky. Sorry to hear some people had obstructed views. I was dead center row four only problem was some drunk annoying girl that wouldn’t shut up, but to be expected in large crowds. Keep me in your heart and maybe it’s time were highlights for me. What was the deal with Joe Madden talking EV’s ear off as he was singing hard sun.??....not sure if anyone else caught that.

Eddies voice was on fire tonight. Personally, if he’s going to go the solo route I wish he’d bring back the theatre shows. They’re much more intimate, but again who am I to complain. 
    Post edited by pierj53 on
    edited March 2019
    Holy fuck, that chick was so goddamn annoying.  The fact that the stage mic was picking up on her high pitched screeching was awful.

In general, people need to understand the show is not for you.  It's for everyone.

No one other than you gives a shit what you want Ed to see or hear and you are ruining the experience for everyone around you.

The only annoying thing that should be permitted (which I am just as guilty as anyone) is singing too loudly.  The guy in front of me politely asked if I could take it down a notch and I did.  

Screaming at the top of your lungs for no goddamn reason or holding up a sign that blocks people's view that says something that literally only you care about is just fucked up on every level.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
  • VirtueVirtue Posts: 30
    I just renewed my Ten Club membership  so that I could comment on this show.

It was my first time seeing Eddie solo and I am so glad I picked this festival on a whim. As others have mentioned, it was incredibly well run and worth going whenever a band you love plays there.

Now about Eddie’s set; although it was short due to festival restrictions I think he made up for it by playing some songs he wouldn’t ordinarily play, or that he’s never played before. The highlights for me, though, were the singalong songs like Unthought Known and Porch, in addition to Immortality and Open All Night which I thought was an awesome gift.

It seemed like Eddie may have needed to practice some songs more because he messed up lyrics (I know that’s normal even on hits) but he also messed up playing here and there throughout (I don’t mind really, I’m mentioning it to be thorough)

I think of this as one of the least structured sets I’ve seen him play, because it seems like he got some crowd interactions in at odd moments in the show, and also at times he started playing things off the top of his head (I guess it would be Millworker but I don’t know), Eddie just started going to town on his acoustic guitar at one point and it was absolutely awesome. 

Overall I think that Eddie’s slight flubs, the way he interacted with the crowd and improvised, made this show seem more personal for everyone there. Before the show I was talking with someone about how the stage setup of an Eddie show is intentionally intimate, it’s like you’re in his living room watching him play, and at the best of times it’s like he isn’t even aware there’s thousands staring back at him. To see Eddie up close in his element is worth traveling to see, he reminds us of the power of music, and we get to celebrate that with him. 

Speaking as a child of the 90's..

Philadelphia, PA 09/02/2012 | Brooklyn, NY 10/18/2013 | Brooklyn, NY 10/19/2013 | Baltimore, MD 10/27/2013 | NYC 9/26/2015 | Hampton, VA 4/18/2016 | Chicago, IL 8/20/2016 | Chicago, IL 8/22/2016 | Chicago, IL 8/18/2018 | Chicago, IL 8/20/2018
  • willc431994willc431994 Australia Posts: 201
    That's a lot of songs in 34 minutes  :)
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 17

His name is Jason Isbell, drop the Michael.   He's fuckin awesome too
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Awesome set list!!! Sorry to hear about the sign blocking your view; People really suck sometime. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Michael Jason Isbell? I think it's just Jason Isbell. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    Seabird said:

Haha. Who calls him Michael...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,444
    edited March 2019
    That's a lot of songs in 34 minutes  :)
    That is the first thing I noticed.  Is that right? Well that and the pump organ. Awesome.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • max8700max8700 Posts: 205
    Seabird said:

His legal name is Michael Jason Isbell. My guess is that what his name is registered as under ASCAP for songwriting royalties. He obviously goes by Jason and has for years (he references it in Children of Children), but this is technically correct.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Seabird said:

Haha. Who calls him Michael...
    His mom when he's in trouble 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Lotta covers
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    edited March 2019

It is not a Pearl Jam Fan thing, it is a societal thing.  Go to the grocery store on a Sunday, when crowded.
    No respect for others, only care for their own desires.
    Holding a kid on your shoulders or a sign up throughout the show is par for the course. 

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Sorry to hear the selfish douchelords were out in full, last night, but it looks like a great show.
    It is not a Pearl Jam Fan thing, it is a societal thing.  Go to the grocery store on a Sunday, when crowded.
    The average American should be punched square in the face.  No respect for others, only care for their own desires.
    Holding a kid on your shoulders or a sign up throughout the show is par for the course. 

The vedder kid was advertising on Facebook and pj s twitter feed.  One or two songs, cool. A whole show?  Definitely not cool. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sorry to hear the selfish douchelords were out in full, last night, but it looks like a great show.
    The average American should be punched square in the face.  No respect for others, only care for their own desires.

The vedder kid was advertising on Facebook and pj s twitter feed.  One or two songs, cool. A whole show?  Definitely not cool. 
    I don't even think it is OK for an entire song.  Pop up to have a view?  Sure.
    In General:
    To heck with you and the fact that you want your kid to see a concert or for the artist to see your kid/learn about your life.
    Is it a bummer that the child might be unable to see?  Yes.  Yes, it is. 
    A song is too long when you are directly impacting someone else's ability to experience the show.
    It is not about you -- it is about everyone there.  
    There are likely reasons that people choose to do these types of things -- and I get it, as a parent.  As a member of society I do not like it.

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Was the show seated or GA?  If seated that is awful and the staff should have taken care of that.

I was at a Mumford & Sons show on saturday night and the amount of infantile drunks who thought the show was about them was fairly annoying.   I have cooled my temper and approach with age though, more than one time I have confronted people who were just jabbering obsessively at shows and asked them to either shutup or leave the venue because I didn't pay $x to hear any part about their life.   I did have to tell an entire group of drunken buffoons to shutup when the band was trying to play Timshel.  FFS the Marcus Mumford had already said as much, but people can't go 3 and a half minutes without vomiting their thoughts sometimes it seems.   It was the single thing I was most looking forward to at this show was hearing them do this song, 1 guitar in front the four core band members in front of single microphone.  I am not a huge fan of theirs, my wife moreso, but I really fell in love with this song after my son died.  I realize that people don't set out to ruin peoples mojo, but jeez, for a moment imagine that when the lead singer of the band tells 15,000 to be quiet so they can do this, that he probably means you too.

The earth is definitely suffering from a look at me moment.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

PB11041 said:
    Was the show seated or GA?  If seated that is awful and the staff should have taken care of that.

I was at a Mumford & Sons show on saturday night and the amount of infantile drunks who thought the show was about them was fairly annoying.   I have cooled my temper and approach with age though, more than one time I have confronted people who were just jabbering obsessively at shows and asked them to either shutup or leave the venue because I didn't pay $x to hear any part about their life.   I did have to tell an entire group of drunken buffoons to shutup when the band was trying to play Timshel.  FFS the Marcus Mumford had already said as much, but people can't go 3 and a half minutes without vomiting their thoughts sometimes it seems.   It was the single thing I was most looking forward to at this show was hearing them do this song, 1 guitar in front the four core band members in front of single microphone.  I am not a huge fan of theirs, my wife moreso, but I really fell in love with this song after my son died.  I realize that people don't set out to ruin peoples mojo, but jeez, for a moment imagine that when the lead singer of the band tells 15,000 to be quiet so they can do this, that he probably means you too.

The earth is definitely suffering from a look at me moment.  
    I don't mean it to be personal about this one dad and his child (like I stated above, I am a parent and understand wanting to have your child experience things) but your post is spot on. 
    I watch concert footage from festivals and see grown women on the shoulders of people as well -- what the heck?  Why would you think that is OK?  You are ruining the experience for others.  Does that make you happy?

mcgruff10 said:

I don't even think it is OK for an entire song.  Pop up to have a view?  Sure.
    In General:
    To heck with you and the fact that you want your kid to see a concert or for the artist to see your kid/learn about your life.
    Is it a bummer that the child might be unable to see?  Yes.  Yes, it is. 
    A song is too long when you are directly impacting someone else's ability to experience the show.
    It is not about you -- it is about everyone there.  
    There are likely reasons that people choose to do these types of things -- and I get it, as a parent.  As a member of society I do not like it.

You know what, you are right.  Maybe a few seconds but that is it.  
  • circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 307
    Ed has probably gotten the story about the kid with the sign and it doesn’t surprise me that he didn’t acknowledge him.  Given Ed’s history with obsessive fans and stalkers it seems like he would be wierded out by all the marketing by the parents to get their kid close to any big act, and by they way they actually named him Vedder so he’s the grand prize.  I barely keep up with social media but I’ve seen this kid promoted several times in the past.  Easy to ignore but I would be superfly pissed if all of their begging was actually obstructing my view at a show.  
  • eeedmd1eeedmd1 Posts: 9
    I would like to humbly apologize to you for your experience. We are extremely grateful to all the fans we met at the show yesterday. Everyone was extremely kind to our son. Thank You also to Everyone for all the feedback as well. 

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,444
    edited March 2019
    Don't be an asshole. Having your kid or your girl on your shoulders if you are in a packed crowd is being an asshole. Few minutes, take a pic, then down you go.  Lets not even get into naming your child after a rock star. Id guess stuff like this just pushes Ed away from performing.