NEW BLACK CROWES- Before the Frost/Until the Freeze 9/1

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    derbydave said:
    Wobbie said:
    DewieCox said:
    CRB blows ass. Magpie kicks ass.

CRB does stoner, hippy, trippy music. It’s OK but I left my last show at the break because it’s all the same.

I will NEVER forgive Chris for breaking up the Crowes....a band I loved more than Pearl Jam.

Magpie has 108 :tired_face: bootlegs available on nugs.net. I want to buy one or a few but how the hell to decide? has anyone here bought any? I’m thinking Fillmore. you fucking HAVE to bring it at the fillmore!
    Definitely check them out...
    you can really tell that Rich & Marc are having a blast playing together again!!
    Their first "studio" album is a live recording:

Image result for the magpie salute

I've seen The Magpie Salute 6 times...
    if you want to pick up some live shows from NUGS,
    these are my favorites so far:
    Indianapolis:
    https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-magpie-salute-the-vogue-indianapolis-in-07-26-2017-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/18593.html?cgid=ARTIST-1113#sz=12&start=97
    Detroit:
    https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-magpie-salute-saint-andrews-hall-detroit-mi-07-30-2017-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/18595.html?cgid=ARTIST-1113#sz=12&start=97
    Cincinnati:
    https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-magpie-salute-bogarts-cincinnati-oh-08-22-2017-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/18610.html?cgid=ARTIST-1113#sz=12&start=85
    Kent, OH:
    https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-magpie-salute-kent-stage-kent-oh-09-06-2018-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/20531.html?cgid=ARTIST-1113#sz=12&start=37

I went to the Kent show.  It was incredible.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    derbydave said:
    Wobbie said:
    DewieCox said:
    CRB blows ass. Magpie kicks ass.

CRB does stoner, hippy, trippy music. It’s OK but I left my last show at the break because it’s all the same.

I will NEVER forgive Chris for breaking up the Crowes....a band I loved more than Pearl Jam.

Magpie has 108 :tired_face: bootlegs available on nugs.net. I want to buy one or a few but how the hell to decide? has anyone here bought any? I’m thinking Fillmore. you fucking HAVE to bring it at the fillmore!
    Definitely check them out...
    you can really tell that Rich & Marc are having a blast playing together again!!
    Their first "studio" album is a live recording:

Image result for the magpie salute

I've seen The Magpie Salute 6 times...
    if you want to pick up some live shows from NUGS,
    these are my favorites so far:
    Indianapolis:
    https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-magpie-salute-the-vogue-indianapolis-in-07-26-2017-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/18593.html?cgid=ARTIST-1113#sz=12&start=97
    Detroit:
    https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-magpie-salute-saint-andrews-hall-detroit-mi-07-30-2017-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/18595.html?cgid=ARTIST-1113#sz=12&start=97
    Cincinnati:
    https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-magpie-salute-bogarts-cincinnati-oh-08-22-2017-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/18610.html?cgid=ARTIST-1113#sz=12&start=85
    Kent, OH:
    https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-magpie-salute-kent-stage-kent-oh-09-06-2018-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/20531.html?cgid=ARTIST-1113#sz=12&start=37

thanks, Dave!

good to know Rich is having fun. as much as I love him, he has definitely always had a grumpy side.

a buddy of mine had been bugging the shit out of me to go see CRB a couple of weeks ago. I must have told him “no, thanks” five or six times....my buddy offered to by both my ticket and my beers....no, thanks. I saw my buddy yesterday and asked how the show was....he described chris as a “narcissistic stoner”, said the whole band lacked energy and he left at their first break. :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I'd probably be grumpy if I had to put up with CR's BS too!! :rofl:

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Thanks for the suggestions all! ‘Amorica’ just holds a special place in my heart. I’d explain, but my thumbs are tired. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Anybody see the Chris performance from some recent corporate event? On stage with Sebastian Bach singing Kiss and some TBC with a hack band. It’s pretty amusing if you’re tired of Chris. 

Rumor has it he’s split with his wife/manager so hopefully him and Rich can patch things up as brothers but it won’t really bother me if the Crowes never do anything again.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Anyone know why Steve Gorman is not in the Magpie?
    I'm guessing it had something to do with commitments on his Steve Gorman Sports! talk show on the Fox Sports Radio network.
    He's also been working on "Hard To Handle: The Life & Death of The Black Crowes -- A Memoir" 

A book about his time with The Black Crowes...
    This has a tentative release date of September 24, 2019!!
    Joe Magistro is an excellent drummer and he was touring with Rich on his past several solo tours!
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

edited March 2019
    He was asked but couldn’t commit to
    anything with his sports talk radio show. That was Rich’s side. I won’t be shocked if Gorman has a different take. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    derbydave said:
    I'm guessing it had something to do with commitments on his Steve Gorman Sports! talk show on the Fox Sports Radio network.
    He's also been working on "Hard To Handle: The Life & Death of The Black Crowes -- A Memoir" 

A book about his time with The Black Crowes...
    This has a tentative release date of September 24, 2019!!
    Joe Magistro is an excellent drummer and he was touring with Rich on his past several solo tours!

Magistro was also on percussion for some Crowes tours and was gonna stay in TMS even if Gorman joined. Not sure he would’ve made the cut when they streamlined things though.
    Ya, but Gorman was going to do the Anniversary tour thing for shake your money maker had it not all gone south. So was the sports talk show really an issue?
    i think it’s a combo of both Rich and Chris. But what do I know.
    i personally don’t think it’s all on Chris. And both brothers have come out and said how depressing the Crowe’s group had been for many years. So how can we really blame Chris for not wanting to continue on anyway. A persons own happiness has to take priority at some point. 
    I miss the Crowe’s but I’m also happy I now get 2 groups to enjoy. CRB and Magpie.
    Ya, but Gorman was going to do the Anniversary tour thing for shake your money maker had it not all gone south. So was the sports talk show really an issue?
    i think it’s a combo of both Rich and Chris. But what do I know.
    i personally don’t think it’s all on Chris. And both brothers have come out and said how depressing the Crowe’s group had been for many years. So how can we really blame Chris for not wanting to continue on anyway. A persons own happiness has to take priority at some point. 
    I miss the Crowe’s but I’m also happy I now get 2 groups to enjoy. CRB and Magpie.
    I'm looking forward to reading Gorman's book...
    hopefully we'll get some objective information about what really happened.

Oh for sure, can’t wait for his book to come out. 
    And one day I’m sure Chris and Rich will also do a book. Then We’ll have to connect the dots and try to figure out the truth to 3 different stories. I’m thinking Gormans might be the easiest to believe though.
    DewieCox said:
    Yes I noticed that. Can’t wait!!!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    cool. a new rock bio for me to read. have to pick that up before summer to read on the beach. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    DewieCox said:
    Yes I noticed that. Can’t wait!!!
    Nice! Gorman's co-author, Steven Hyden, has a podcast called 'Celebration Rock'. It's on temporary hiatus as he's working on other stuff, but is definitely worth checking out when he gets it back up and running. 
    @DewieCox @Spiritual_Chaos @willbarclay
    Thanks for the inspo to dust off Lions :sunglasses: Prior to this past weekend it'd been a few years since I'd listened to it in full. Lotta overlooked gems on it! While 'Soul Singing' never left my orbit (one of their GOATs, IMO), it was really good to revisit old friends like 'Midnight from the Inside Out', 'Young Man, Old Man', 'Cosmic Friend' and 'Cypress Tree'.

jjflash said:
    Thanks for the inspo to dust off Lions :sunglasses: Prior to this past weekend it'd been a few years since I'd listened to it in full. Lotta overlooked gems on it! While 'Soul Singing' never left my orbit (one of their GOATs, IMO), it was really good to revisit old friends like 'Midnight from the Inside Out', 'Young Man, Old Man', 'Cosmic Friend' and 'Cypress Tree'.

@jjflash

Glad you got to re-familiarize with this gem of an album. I like every song on this sucker. Start to finish.

Its too bad they needed that long hiatus after it. Would love to known what would have followed this.  

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Having a bit of a Crowes-fest in work this week, thanks to this thread!

Yesterday Shake Your Moneymaker, Southern Harmony, Amorica, Three Snakes, and By Your Side played back to back.
    Today has started with Tall, Band, and Lions, with Warpaint, Before The Frost, and Croweology ready to go

Not sure my workmates are too pleased though :smiley:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    jjflash said:

Nice! Love this album!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    goldrush said:

Yesterday Shake Your Moneymaker, Southern Harmony, Amorica, Three Snakes, and By Your Side played back to back.
    Today has started with Tall, Band, and Lions, with Warpaint, Before The Frost, and Croweology ready to go

What are Tall and Band?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    goldrush said:

What are Tall and Band?
    They're the names of recording sessions for albums that got shelved. Songs from the two sessions eventually were merged and released as "The Lost Crowes"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Crowes

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited March 2019
    JK_Livin said:
    goldrush said:

What are Tall and Band?
    They are the 2 unreleased albums that make up the Lost Crowes compilation.

Most of the ‘Tall’ sessions were re-recorded (some with different lyrics, music, or titles) and ended up on Amorica. ‘Band’ was scrapped and replaced by By Your Side. I really like how the alternate early versions sound, and I always treat them as their own standalone albums. ‘Band’ would have been a classic Crowes record if it had been released in 97.

Tall
    1. "A Conspiracy” - re-recorded for and released on Amorica
    2. "Evil Eye" – re-recorded for and released on Three Snakes
    3. "Cursed Diamond" – re-recorded for and released on Amorica
    4. "London P.25" – re-recorded for and released as "P. 25 London" on Amorica
    5. "Dirty Hair Halo" 
    6. "Hi-Head Blues" – re-recorded for and released as "High-Head Blues" on Amorica
    7. "Feathers"
    8. "Nonfiction" – re-recorded for and released on Amorica
    9. "Tied Up and Swallowed" - released as a bonus track on early editions of Amorica
    10. "Wiser Time" – re-recorded for and released on Amorica
    11. "Sunday Buttermilk Waltz" – also released as "Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz" as a bonus track on the remastered version of Amorica
    12. "Descending" – re-recorded for and released on Amorica
    13. "Lowdown" – re-recorded for and released on Amorica as "Ballad in Urgency," with some lyrical changes
    14. "Tornado" – re-recorded for and released on Phosphorescent Harvest by the CRB, with some lyrical and arrangements changes.
    15. "Song of the Flesh" - released as a bonus track on the remastered version of Amorica
    16. "Thunderstorm 6:54"

Band
    1. "Paint an 8" – Portions of this song were worked into "Come On" from Lions
    2. "Another Roadside Tragedy"
    3. "If It Ever Stops Raining" – re-recorded, with different lyrics, and released as "By Your Side" on By Your Side
    4. "Wyoming & Me"
    5. "Predictable"
    6. "Never Forget This Song"
    7. "Lifevest"
    8. "Grinnin"
    9. "My Heart's Killing Me"
    10. "Peace Anyway" – re-recorded and released as a B-side for By Your Side.

Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    JK_Livin said:
    goldrush said:

What are Tall and Band?

Most of the ‘Tall’ sessions were re-recorded (some with different lyrics, music, or titles) and ended up on Amorica. ‘Band’ was scrapped and replaced by By Your Side. I really like how the alternate early versions sound, and I always treat them as their own standalone albums. ‘Band’ would have been a classic Crowes record if it had been released in 97.

Tall
    5. "Dirty Hair Halo" 
    6. "Hi-Head Blues" – re-recorded for and released as "High-Head Blues" on Amorica
    7. "Feathers"
    9. "Tied Up and Swallowed" - released as a bonus track on early editions of Amorica
    11. "Sunday Buttermilk Waltz" – also released as "Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz" as a bonus track on the remastered version of Amorica
    13. "Lowdown" – re-recorded for and released on Amorica as "Ballad in Urgency," with some lyrical changes
    14. "Tornado" – re-recorded for and released on Phosphorescent Harvest by the CRB, with some lyrical and arrangements changes.
    15. "Song of the Flesh" - released as a bonus track on the remastered version of Amorica

Band
    3. "If It Ever Stops Raining" – re-recorded, with different lyrics, and released as "By Your Side" on By Your Side
    4. "Wyoming & Me"
    5. "Predictable"
    7. "Lifevest"
    8. "Grinnin"

thanks. Are all these songs on the Lost Crowes?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    edited March 2019
    JK_Livin said:
    goldrush said:
    JK_Livin said:
    goldrush said:

What are Tall and Band?

Tall
    5. "Dirty Hair Halo" 
    7. "Feathers"

Band
    4. "Wyoming & Me"
    5. "Predictable"
    7. "Lifevest"
    8. "Grinnin"

They sure are. Double disc set.

only CD. No vinyl release at all.

JK_Livin said:
    goldrush said:
    JK_Livin said:
    goldrush said:

What are Tall and Band?

Tall
    5. "Dirty Hair Halo" 
    7. "Feathers"

Band
    4. "Wyoming & Me"
    5. "Predictable"
    7. "Lifevest"
    8. "Grinnin"

They sure are. Double disc set.

only CD. No vinyl release at all.

I will have to pick that up.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    The Before The Frost... Until The Freeze reissue hits my local record shop tomorrow...
    I'll be headed there first thing in the morning!!

New Releases Available Friday March 8th:
    Black Crowes 'Before The Frost... Until The Freeze - 10th Anniversary Edition' Ltd. D/LP $22.00 and ONLY 750 MADE!!!
    (One Copy Per Person since we received Limited Quantities) On White and Sky Blue Swirl Vinyl - Recorded Over a Series of Five Nights at Levon Helm Studios - Although both are Studio Albums, all the Material was Performed and Recorded in Front of an Intimate Audience of the band's fans.

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited March 2019
    derbydave said:
    The Before The Frost... Until The Freeze reissue hits my local record shop tomorrow...
    I'll be headed there first thing in the morning!!

New Releases Available Friday March 8th:
    Black Crowes 'Before The Frost... Until The Freeze - 10th Anniversary Edition' Ltd. D/LP $22.00 and ONLY 750 MADE!!!
    (One Copy Per Person since we received Limited Quantities) On White and Sky Blue Swirl Vinyl - Recorded Over a Series of Five Nights at Levon Helm Studios - Although both are Studio Albums, all the Material was Performed and Recorded in Front of an Intimate Audience of the band's fans.
    I’d love to grab a copy of this, but with such a limited run I don’t see it happening.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I should probably listen to my original pressing.  Not sure about picking up another copy.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    That before the frost was much easier to find than I thought. $25 and 10mins from the house. 
    Sure its limited to 750?
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....