Options

Ohana Fest 2019

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
edited March 2019 in The Porch
Looks like the fest is getting a head start on things this year. The Ohana Fest Facebook and Instagram pages announced festival dates (September 27-29) yesterday, and now a clue to the Friday headliner is pretty obviously The Strokes: https://www.instagram.com/theohanafest

The Strokes + Eddie is already enough for me to buy a 3-day pass. Really hope the 10C offers a presale/discount again this year. 
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by walkunafraid on

Comments

• Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Wow I'd love to see them with Ed but festivals really suck. I think my festival days are done.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    yield2me said:
    Wow I'd love to see them with Ed but festivals really suck. I think my festival days are done.
    Ohana is probably the easiest festival there is. There's only two stages (right next to each other), with sets alternating between stages. And the "big" names all play on the main stage, so I usually just find a nice spot on the grass in front of the main stage, throw a beach towel down, and lay around watching the smaller acts on the screen between main stage sets. Not like most fests where you have to walk miles between stages and get stuck at the back of the crowd if you care about seeing different acts.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Juicebox!
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Saw the Strokes at the TLA back in 01' - in my top 5 rock n roll shows I've ever seen. ON FIRE.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I went to Ohana last year and it was great...a very laid back vibe, very easy to enjoy both stages without missing anything. I am excited to see who else fills out the line up, but i already decided to go this year based on last year's experience.
  • Options
    apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 193
    Hoping to pull the trigger on this this year. I've searched the forum for a thread about places to stay near the festival but can't find much info. Anyone have any suggestions of close by but not bank breaking? I know that's a tall order! Just want to get something locked down before they announce the full line up and hotels fill up...cheers!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Saw the Strokes at the TLA back in 01' - in my top 5 rock n roll shows I've ever seen. ON FIRE.
    TLA in philly?
  • Options
    chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    Hoping to pull the trigger on this this year. I've searched the forum for a thread about places to stay near the festival but can't find much info. Anyone have any suggestions of close by but not bank breaking? I know that's a tall order! Just want to get something locked down before they announce the full line up and hotels fill up...cheers!
    Best Western Marina Shores is walkable to the fest (10 min) and not super pricey. There's also a cheaper Best Western a bit further south of Dana Point which would just be a short uber/lyft ride to the fest.
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 756
    In 2002, my friend and I got tickets to see the Stones at the Roseland in NYC. We were standing at the bar and I said to my friend, "Look at those losers over there trying way too hard to look like The Strokes." 

They were very nice guys.  Hope they are playing.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Thanks for the reminder.....I just booked a hotel right near the venue. 
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    TLA in philly?
    Yep
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
  • Options
    apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 193
    chiefnjk said:
    Best Western Marina Shores is walkable to the fest (10 min) and not super pricey. There's also a cheaper Best Western a bit further south of Dana Point which would just be a short uber/lyft ride to the fest.
    Awesome, thanks for the beta! Looking into it now!
  • Options
    gus stillsgus stills Posts: 339
    Best western marina appears booked up btw. Didn’t realize they’d added Friday again this year and went back to add it to my reservation and was unable to. Damn. What the previous poster said about the Best Western in San Juan Capistrano is correct tho, stayed there the first year and it’s an easy Lyft ride away. 
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    Hearing strong rumors from an event sponsor that the Chili Peppers are also playing Ohana.  Tickets are going to be impossible.
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Staying at the Marriott in Dana Point, can't wait for EV! Hopefully this year I can score a zippo! 
    I hope Neil Young and Dustin Kensrue are on the line up. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    Can someone edit the title of this thread to just "Ohana Fest 2019" ?
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    peacepeace Posts: 55
    The Double Tree Hilton at Dana Point is a 5 minute walk from the front gate. Standard room, nothing special but so worth it to be able to walk and crash when needed. They were previously showing booked up, but rooms opened this morning. 
  • Options
    weremin23weremin23 Posts: 307
    For those who have been before, is parking practical at this? Would stay in LA and drive just for Ed. Thanks
  • Options
    weremin23 said:
    For those who have been before, is parking practical at this? Would stay in LA and drive just for Ed. Thanks
    You can park on the beach for like $15 and walk to the venue from there. It's maybe a 10-15 minute walk.

• Options
    weremin23weremin23 Posts: 307
    weremin23 said:
    You can park on the beach for like $15 and walk to the venue from there. It's maybe a 10-15 minute walk.
    Thanks
  • Options
    They also have shuttles from certain points around town to avoid the congestion. Getting into and out of the venue is a huge pain. 

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    How much were VIP tix last year?
  • Options
    peace said:
    They also have shuttles from certain points around town to avoid the congestion. Getting into and out of the venue is a huge pain. 

This is correct. I've never done the shuttle before, mainly because I fear the clusterfuck of people trying to board them on the way out of the venue after the show. Anyone have any experience with this that they can share?

Also, I should have mentioned above that there are shuttles that will take you from the beach to the venue if you aren't keen to walk 10-15 minutes. You may have to wait a bit for one to swing by, though.

• Options
    How much were VIP tix last year?
    $1200 for a 3-day pass and $500 for single-day.

• Options
    IMO the VIP's were not worth it, other than having a bathroom with no wait. Problems occur when you have a spot to sit and then you want to get up closer to the side to hear and see any of the bands, people rush to take your spot and you are left with no place to sit. For $500.00 you should not have to fight for a place to sit.  
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    peace said:
    IMO the VIP's were not worth it, other than having a bathroom with no wait. Problems occur when you have a spot to sit and then you want to get up closer to the side to hear and see any of the bands, people rush to take your spot and you are left with no place to sit. For $500.00 you should not have to fight for a place to sit.  
    Thanks.  Yeah that sounds annoying
  • Options
    I can't stress it enough, this "festival" is remarkably chill and very easy.  I went to Ohana last year then did ACL fest after it and was blown away by how massive ACL was.  Ohana there were maybe 15k people.  Its super super chill, we parked at the outlets and used the shuttle, it only took about 80 minutes to get back to LA after the show.  The busiest thing about Ohana are the merch lines! 
  • Options
    Went last year and had a blast with the family, just booked a room at the Laguana Cliffs Marriott, 5 min walk to the venue can’t wait