Do you have the Rolling Stones as one of your top 5 all-time favorite bands?

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Do you have the Rolling Stones as one of your top 5 all-time favorite bands? 59 votes

Yes
18%
Get_Rightjoberschlaketurner78RoleModelsinBlood31ikiTOffSheGoes35jerparker2023scidoobflynn1ultrapigMeltdown99 11 votes
No
81%
CantKeepmedownledveddermanPoncierLondon BridgeLedbetterman10OlivavuCopperTombootlegger10josevolutiongoldrushiOnlyownMymindmfc2006redsfan1No CodermadtowndaveComeToTXOf The AggieBrainofBGAtbergspledgeagrievance 48 votes

Comments

• No
    Where’s the hell no button
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • No
    I do not. I respect the hell out of them and they’ve made amazing songs and records. They’re just not one of my personal favorites. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    No
    Top 15, maybe. However, I don't like much they released after I was born - and that was in 1973.
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    No
    Not close in my top bands, but respect them, especially their early work. They have some great songs, but not really that into them as a band
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • No
    No. I came to them later in life. They have some excellent songs and albums but tough for them to crack the top ten
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    No
    Years ago yes these days they don’t make my top 10 ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    No
    I can't put them very high on my list either.  I keep wondering if I'm missing something with them.  They have a lot of songs I really enjoy, but when I dive into their records, I don't fully grasp on.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2019
    this thread is about respect, like No Coder & ledvetterman mentioned. i have tons of respect for this band. they have earned that from me(imo)
    their top 10+ songs are absolute classics and then there's ALL the nuggets we don't hear on the radio  :)
    i would put gimme shelter, sympathy for the devil and satisfaction etc against anything by anyone ever
    Post edited by helplessdancer on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    No
    Love the band.  My pops' favorite band, their albums were heard throughout my first 18 years of life.  Love so many songs - both hits & deep cuts.
    However, they are not in my personal Top 10.  A 'no' vote means nothing about my love of the band, only that at least 10 other bands rank ahead, including a number of bands who were in their prime before I was.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    No
    this thread is about respect, like No Coder & ledvetterman mentioned. i have tons of respect for this band. they have earned that from me(imo)
    their top 10+ songs are absolute classics and then there's ALL the nuggets we don't hear on the radio  :)
    i would put gimme shelter, sympathy for the devil and satisfaction etc against anything by anyone ever
    I completely respect the Stones and their influence on music.  Part of me wishes I liked their music as a whole more than I do.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    No
    great band, just don't do it for me. I love their songs done by other bands, kind of like Neil Young and Bob Dylan. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    No
    Pearl Jam, My Morning Jacket, Band Of Horses, Bon Iver & Jeremy Enigk / Sunny Day Real Estate are my current top 5.
    Pink Floyd is the only "classic" rock band I really listen to any more.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    No
    Tough to break in the Top 5 as there are only 3 spots available after Zepp and The Beatles.
    No
    Right now my 5th spot is open, but I can't put the Stones in it.
    1. PJ
    2. The Beatles
    3. Zeppelin
    4. Radiohead
    5. It constantly changes...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    No
    When the questions is asked, The Beatles or The Stones, it's always The Beatles. I love a lot of the Stones music, but could never get in to their albums. I tried to dig deeper and it just didn't connect for me so that is why they will never crack the top 10. Bands like Pearl Jam, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin have great radio hits, but those only scratch the surface and the albums are glorious musical journeys. Beyond the obvious big names, bands like Metallica, Tool and QOTSA have laid out some masterpieces and have done so consistently while evolving and experimenting with their sound.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • No
    Not even close.  They are great but it's a geration thing.  I can remember Steel Wheels being a big deal and tour when I was younger and saying, WTH wants to see these geezers?

I say the same thing when I go to see a PJ show now too though, lol!
  • No
    I can't put them very high on my list either.  I keep wondering if I'm missing something with them.  They have a lot of songs I really enjoy, but when I dive into their records, I don't fully grasp on.
    Same for me and Tom Petty.  Lot of great songs but the albums don't do it for me.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    My son's Rolling Stones ARE Pearl Jam.

I was born in 1966 first stones record 1964
    Son born in 1994 first PJ record 1991

Exile on Main St., Goats Head Soup, and Some Girls are masterpieces.   So is Tattoo You.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    No
    Same for me and Tom Petty.  Lot of great songs but the albums don't do it for me.
    I'm the same way with Petty.  I love Full Moon Fever as an album, but that's the only one.  I love songs off of Wildflowers, my favorite being It's Good to Be King, but after that it starts to fizzle out for me.  A lot of songs i love, but I can't stay with the records when i put them on.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    No
    A couple of my favorite albums ever on Sticky Fingers and Exile but they’ve sucked for longer than I’ve been alive.
  • Yes
    DewieCox said:
    A couple of my favorite albums ever on Sticky Fingers and Exile but they’ve sucked for longer than I’ve been alive.
    :lol:   
    I know I'm on the other side, but that was funny.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Put me in a time machine and go back to about 1966 and I will hit the "yes" button.  Today, "no".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    Yes
    One of my first loves..they teach me the blues..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • No
    23scidoo said:
    One of my first loves..they teach me the blues..
    You mean how to steal the blues...
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    No
    I definitely have them ahead of the Beatles, but they still don't break the top 5.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited February 2019
    No
    They aren't even in my top 50. I don't mind them, but I also don't really care much. If someone puts on a Stones album that's just fine with me. I'll like it. That's about as far as I go with them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    No
    the only 'stones worth a damn are the HEADSTONES, baby! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    No
    Top 200 maybe. Sorry I never got into them, respect them and like a handful of their songs but overall not really my cup of tea.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    Gaslight
    Floyd
    Stones
    Bruce
    MMJ

Doors
    STP
    Gary Clark Jr

The stones took me a long time to get into but I dig them now.
    Post edited by joberschlake on
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited March 2019
    No
    Right now my 5th spot is open, but I can't put the Stones in it.
    1. PJ
    2. The Beatles
    3. Zeppelin
    4. Radiohead
    5. It constantly changes...
    Nice top 5...well, top 4!
    Mine:
    1. PJ
    2. Radiohead
    3. U2
    4. Oasis
    5. Nirvana
    (I think Beatles and Led Zep would both sneak into my top 10)
    Post edited by rummy on