Holmdel, NJ 2003 - Live On 4 Legs

Holmdel 03 will be this week’s show we’re covering. This is the show where they played two from every album in chronological order in the first set.

if you were at this show, would love to know how long it took you before picking up on this. From what I’ve listened to so far, it sounded like the band didn’t make mention of it but it became a pretty big deal after the fact. Also, do you think they made the correct song choices? Any other moments or stories you have to share from this show are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    I was so excited to be going to a Pearl Jam show 15 minutes from my house that we arrived around 11am and tailgated all day.  

I thought it was a great tour closer show but the whole 2 songs from every album went right over my head.  I had no idea until I read other people’s reviwws here the next day.  :dizzy:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    I saw 15 or so shows that tour and holmdel was the best. Did not realize significance of the setlist until afterwards.

Great opener of wash which felt quite special as it was still a super rare song at the time. Great jam on even flow which I did remark to a friend was real early in the set. Whole encore was great...first hunger strike since 92? Just fantastic overall. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    My favorite show of 11 in 2003.  I had first row in front of mike due to them
    over selling the msg shows.  Porch was absolutely amazing.  I think I figured the set list out right around corduroy. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Got 7th row center after trading out msg tickets through ten club. Best seats ever had for pj. Never realized the two from each album until the next day: great show overall. Really enjoyed the choices for each album. First time I had seen I got Id live and it was fantastic. Thought Ed’s comments st encore were great. Even though he messed it up loved Ed doing bruce’s Growin up. After that thought sleater kinny kind of ruined the encores. To me the encores especially hunger strike is unlistenable with them on it. Maybe that’s just me. Overall fantastic show though
  • Not sure if it was this show or Camden 03 but I saw the Disco Biscuits in Philly instead. Huge fail!!

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    Yeah this is one I really regret missing.  Tired from doing a bunch of shows on that tour and passed. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    over selling the msg shows.  Porch was absolutely amazing.  I think I figured the set list out right around corduroy. 
    Off topic but I'm curious to know what the other 10 were.
  • Five of my friends and I were front row center for this one. After opening with Wash, Ed handed my friend the wash lyrics that he wrote on a game board box. My friend framed it and it looks great. It was a great show, and Ed held our hands during Porch. It was cool because we all grabbed this tickets because of the overselling of MSG. It worked out great for us.
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • I remember it was a Monday and the weather was pretty great. It was my 4th show of the year and I had lawn tickets with 10 or so of my friends.

Wash into Once was awesome. I don't think the order of the setlist hit me until they finished the 1st set. To be honest, the song choices from each album were a little repetitive from MSG night two (go, dissident, corduroy, nothingman, present tense, evacuation).  I loved the Growin Up cover and still listen to it a lot. The second encore with Sleater Kinney was cool in person but I've never listened to it again. I believe All Those Yesterdays was soundchecked but not played.  
    4/30/03 7/8/03 7/9/03 7/14/03 9/28/04 9/29/04 9/15/05 5/13/06 6/01/06 6/02/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/27/08 7/1/08 8/4/08 8/5/08 6/8/09 5/19/2010 5/20/2010 5/21/2010 6/22/2011 10/25/2013 8/5/2016 9/2/2018
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    house of blues: orlando, florida 4/12
    philadelphia, pa 4/28
    uniondale, ny 4/30
    state college, pa 5/3

bristol, va 7/1
    camden, nj 7/5
    camden, nj 7/6
    ny, ny 7/8
    ny, ny 7/9
    hershey, pa 7/12
    holmdel, nj 7/14

They are definitely some heavy hitters in there but for some reason holmdel finishes on top.  like i said, porch was sic and growing up was a nice surprise.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    philadelphia, pa 4/28
    uniondale, ny 4/30
    state college, pa 5/3

bristol, va 7/1
    camden, nj 7/5
    camden, nj 7/6
    ny, ny 7/8
    ny, ny 7/9
    hershey, pa 7/12
    holmdel, nj 7/14

They are definitely some heavy hitters in there but for some reason holmdel finishes on top.  like i said, porch was sic and growing up was a nice surprise.

Better than State College?  Wow.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    All those yesterdays was definitely sound-checked as was People have the Power which only has 2 full plays all time on the 1st leg of the us 03 tour.

One of the better main sets of the 9 shows I saw this tour.  Wash pretty much out of the blue, Stone was fiery this night.  Really let it fly all night long, great rhythm on Even Flow which and at song three Mike pushed everyone to keep up, driving that one out a couple of extra minutes.   They hit the 8+ minute mark a couple of other times this tour (Buffalo comes to mind right off the top).

Porch was absolutely killer, probably best one I've caught in person.  Lot's of excellent playing this night.  Band was on fire and tight, in step and in practice playing so frequently live during this time frame.   Might have flipped a different song for Dissident and probably one for both the Yield tracks, but overall the tactic generally worked.  

Right up there with MSG1, State, Philly and Montreal.    I love Sleater Kinney so I did not mind their involvement at all.  I do recall people on the old synergy forum having childish meltdowns over Corin's duet on Hunger Strike.   Fortunate Son and Rockin' were so strong this whole tour.  

Lots to like about this tour and show.  I do find the mix on the boot to be a little "hot" at times. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• First of all, any show that opens with Wash has the opportunity to be a fantastic show. Even flow that early in the set was a nice surprise and refreshing. I realized the two song per album after Vitalogy; they played I Got ID, then a No Code song, and I realized what was happening. It was cool to hear Hungerstrike and have Sleater Kinney come out but I have to agree that it is kind of unlistenable. I had the impression as they were playing the encore, that they were really enjoying themselves, having fun as it was the last show before the 3 Mexico shows. Hearing YLB echo through a venue that I live 20 minutes from was special. Overall, one of my all time favorite shows 

• Five of my friends and I were front row center for this one. After opening with Wash, Ed handed my friend the wash lyrics that he wrote on a game board box. My friend framed it and it looks great. It was a great show, and Ed held our hands during Porch. It was cool because we all grabbed this tickets because of the overselling of MSG. It worked out great for us.
    Do you happen to have a photo of the box?!?
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    philadelphia, pa 4/28
    uniondale, ny 4/30
    state college, pa 5/3

bristol, va 7/1
    camden, nj 7/5
    camden, nj 7/6
    ny, ny 7/8
    ny, ny 7/9
    hershey, pa 7/12
    holmdel, nj 7/14

You did indeed hit a bunch of "classics." Nice!
    Admittedly, I've only recently gained a greater appreciation for the 2003 (and 2005) tour. Stellar.
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 924
    This episode is out