2020 Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates

Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
The ol' DPPC as we like to call it. Here is my ranking of who I would vote for in rank-choice if the election were today based on who has declared, or is likely to declare:

1.  Elizabeth Warren
2.  Andrew Yang
3.  Bernie Sanders
4.  Kamala Harris
5.  Amy Klobachar
6.  Sherrod Brown
7.  Kirsten Gillibrand
8   Cory Booker
9.  Joe Biden 
10. Julian Castro 
11.  John Hickenlooper
12.  Jay Inslee
13. Eric Holder
14.  Pete Buttigieg 
15. John Delany.
16. Getting hit by a truck

999.999.999 Tulsi Gabbard

WHO YA GOT?

Comments

• If I was democrat and could vote in their primary, I'd go with Sanders. I think of the people listed, he'd have the best chance to win. I'd go with Biden second, and getting hit by a truck third. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Heard on Jimmy Fallon Thursday.  The Academy Awards are 91, still younger than the average Democratic candidate...lol. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Too many candidates...this is what fucked the elephants and let the orange asswipe through.
    Whomever gets the nod, it needs to be someone who isn't ancient. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Well no one can follow goddamn directions around here. I thought I'd dip into this dumb cesspool that is the AMT wing, but no. This is where brains go to liquid.

And there aren't too many candidates.  Kinda what the exact purpose of primaries are for.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    The ol' DPPC as we like to call it. Here is my ranking of who I would vote for in rank-choice if the election were today based on who has declared, or is likely to declare:

1.  Elizabeth Warren - hell no
    2.  Andrew Yang - hell no
    3.  Bernie Sanders - super hell no
    4.  Kamala Harris - I'd rather not
    5.  Amy Klobachar - Lots to like
    6.  Sherrod Brown - not bad
    7.  Kirsten Gillibrand - no thanks
    8   Cory Booker - no thanks
    9.  Joe Biden - creepy old dude? nope, already have one in office
    10. Julian Castro - meh
    11.  John Hickenlooper - interesting...need to read more
    12.  Jay Inslee - no idea who this is ;)
    13. Eric Holder - another interesting one that I want to read more about still
    14.  Pete Buttigieg - This guy is more progressive than I like, but I really enjoy listening to him talk about problems and solutions
    15. John Delany.- no thanks
    16. Getting hit by a truck - no thanks

WHO YA GOT?
    Answered in your post.
    hippiemom = goodness

10. Julian Castro - meh
    14.  Pete Buttigieg - This guy is more progressive than I like, but I really enjoy listening to him talk about problems and solutions

WHO YA GOT?
    Answered in your post.
    Annnnd thank you. Looking for a ranking, but I'll count it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Well no one can follow goddamn directions around here. I thought I'd dip into this dumb cesspool that is the AMT wing, but no. This is where brains go to liquid.

And there aren't too many candidates.  Kinda what the exact purpose of primaries are for.
    Over the years I've noticed how fairly the group who post here is shifts rather slowly so it's always great to see someone who has been around other forums a lot jump in here.  On the other hand, calling AMT a cesspool and describing those of us who post here as having brains gone to liquid...  right...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

10. Julian Castro - meh

WHO YA GOT?
    Answered in your post.
    Annnnd thank you. Looking for a ranking, but I'll count it.
    Never vote for -  Elizabeth Warren, Yang, Sanders, getting hit by a truck
    Would vote for as Dem candidate vs trump but not before - Gillibrand, Booker, Castro, Delany, Biden
    Don't know - Inslee

The rest in order (subject to change as I still have a lot to learn about these people)
    1) Amy Klobacher
    2) Pete Buttigieg
    3) Sherrod Brown
    4) John Hickenlooper
    5) Eric Holder
    6) Kamala harris - and she is actually likely in the "would vote for against trump but not for anything else" camp

hippiemom = goodness
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Undecided at this point. If one of these candidates wins me over and is still viable come primary day, I will vote for them. If not I may vote in the Republican primary, hopefully for Bill Weld, but if not then for any candidate not named Donald Trump.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    JimmyV said:
    Undecided at this point. If one of these candidates wins me over and is still viable come primary day, I will vote for them. If not I may vote in the Republican primary, hopefully for Bill Weld, but if not then for any candidate not named Donald Trump.
    Yup, I'm not participating in the Dem primary this year. I'll be voting in the Rep primary for Bill Weld. Then once the general comes around I'll vote for the Dem who has the nomination. My plan is to vote against Trump in the primaries and the general.

I'm "anyone but Trump" in 2020.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Do you guys have open primaries? Or are you just re-registering your affiliation?
    Do you guys have open primaries? Or are you just re-registering your affiliation?
    Open primaries. We don't have to register any sort of party affiliation. 
    jeffbr said:
    Word. Yeah, here in PA it's closed primaries.
    jeffbr said:
    Word. Yeah, here in PA it's closed primaries.
    Ah, got it. Yeah, we have 1 ballot. It lists all candidates from all parties. You can vote for 1 candidate from 1 party. No need to declare any affiliation. The only problem being that party choices are public record (although candidate choice isn't), so the state party then knows you voted in their primary, and see's you as a party voter, so I can expect to get a bunch of Trump shit thrown at me leading up to the general election.
    In Massachusetts I believe the term is semi-Closed, but all that means is I have to declare myself Dem or Rep on the way in to get that ballot and then declare myself an independent again on the way out. Basically it is an open primary.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Ha I like that strategy of voting against Baffoon in primary..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    In California, the rules are thus:

"If you are registered to vote with a political party, you will be given a ballot for that party in a Presidential primary election.

If you are unaffiliated with any party (sometimes called “no party preference” or "decline to state"), you will be given a nonpartisan ballot, containing only the names of all candidates for nonpartisan offices and any ballot measures to be voted upon at the primary election.

Or, you may be able to request the ballot of one of the political parties at the polls or on your vote-by-mail ballot request form. Each political party has the option of allowing decline-to-state voters to vote in their Presidential primary."

In the past, I once re-registered Republican so I could vote against Reagan.  I don't think I'll do that this time as I want to vote for a Dem who I think can beat Trump.  But I have to admit, re-registering to vote against Trump has its temptations!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Interesting but I think kinda throwing your vote away. I’d propose voting for something when you have that chance. You don’t often get to vote for something and usually settle for voting against 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Yes, that is truly a wasted vote
    It's hardly a wasted vote. I am an independent and these are party elections. I'm not required to support the least shitty Democrat just because that's who might face Trump in the general.

Trump isn't getting beat in a primary... you're better off casting a vote for what you feel us the strongest Democratic candidate... trying to influence the opponents primary is what I would call a wasted vote
    my2hands said:
    Trump isn't getting beat in a primary... you're better off casting a vote for what you feel us the strongest Democratic candidate... trying to influence the opponents primary is what I would call a wasted vote
    Has an incumbent ever been beaten in a primary?

brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    No, but they have been weakened.

By the time Massachusetts votes the Democratic nomination will likely already be decided.

The largest voting group here remains independents, each of whom can vote in whichever primary they wish, and Trump failed to win a single county here in 2016. Bill Weld is a popular former governor. If he's on the ballot he'll give Trump a run.

The GOP will crush any attempts at flanking Trump... frankly, I think it's a pipedream 
    JimmyV said:
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    No, but they have been weakened.

By the time Massachusetts votes the Democratic nomination will likely already be decided.

The largest voting group here remains independents, each of whom can vote in whichever primary they wish, and Trump failed to win a single county here in 2016. Bill Weld is a popular former governor. If he's on the ballot he'll give Trump a run.
    It would be fascinating to see Trump lose the nomination... but not necessarily good if, say, Pence gets the win.

my2hands said:
    The GOP will crush any attempts at flanking Trump... frankly, I think it's a pipedream 
    I wish I could say, "Trump will never win a second term, no way" but in 2016 I said, "Trump will never win the election."  As they say, never say never.