What does it look like where you live?

rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
edited February 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
Near my home ... recently renamed "The Barrington Coast" formerly known as "The Great Lakes" ..3 huge lake systems between the Barrington Mountains and Mid North Coast of NSW. This is Sand Bar and Celito Beach in Pacific Palms NSW. I took the day off work to hang out there last Monday. Its a pretty boardwalk through the palms and undergrowth to get to the beach.
Australia 👍💖

Post edited by rhanishane on

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Here is downtown Vancouver ... it is gorgeous, but we are fucked when it comes to rising sea levels. They better get to work on raising the the sea walls pronto.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here is downtown Vancouver ... it is gorgeous, but we are fucked when it comes to rising sea levels. They better get to work on raising the the sea walls pronto.

but look at those mountains.. gorgeous!
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I was there last year. I loved it. Definitely plan on returning there at some point. I'm still uploading photos to Instagram of the place, like a teenager.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited February 2019
    I can’t compete with Pacific Palms and Vancouver, but this is my little town of Cumberland, Maryland. Population 20,000.

From “Lover’s Leap” up behind my house. Cumberland and Ridgeley, WV can be seen in the distance. To the right is a stretch called “The Narrows” which is a valley between Wills Mountain (pictured) and Haystack Mountain to the right (see below). 

Haystack Mountain with The Narrows running below. Dans Mountain is off in the distance to the right with Knobley Mountain, WV behind on the far left. The snowy trail you see is part of the Great Allegheny Passage, a rail trail that runs along the old Western Maryland, B&O, and P&LE rail-beds 150 miles to Pittsburgh, PA. Cumberland is the junction of the GAP and the C&O Canal Towpath, which runs 184.5 miles to Washington, DC.

This is the view from my apartment looking out over downtown. Irons Mountain can be seen in the distance.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    My front yard today after a quick snow storm. I live ten minutes from the beach. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited February 2019
    and these are the two closest beaches to my house: avon and belmar, NJ.Related image
    Related image
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I can’t compete with Pacific Palms and Vancouver, but this is my little town of Cumberland, Maryland. Population 20,000.

From “Lover’s Leap” up behind my house. Cumberland and Ridgeley, WV can be seen in the distance. To the right is a stretch called “The Narrows” which is a valley between Wills Mountain (pictured) and Haystack Mountain to the right (see below). 

Haystack Mountain with The Narrows running below. Dans Mountain is off in the distance to the right with Knobley Mountain, WV behind on the far left. The snowy trail you see is part of the Great Allegheny Passage, a rail trail that runs along the old Western Maryland, B&O, and P&LE rail-beds 150 miles to Pittsburgh, PA. Cumberland is the junction of the GAP and the C&O Canal Towpath, which runs 184.5 miles to Washington, DC.

This is the view from my apartment looking out over downtown. Irons Mountain can be seen in the distance.
    I’ve been to Cumberland. Some friends of the wife had their wedding at a farm outside of the town a few years back. Nice area.
    edited February 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    My front yard today after a quick snow storm. I live ten minutes from the beach. 
    That ain’t shit...

I’ll wait till after round 3 of Snowmagedon wraps up this weekend here in the Twin Cities to show where I live. 
  • I live in a boring place. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Have you ever seen the film Idiocracy? I’m pretty sure that was filmed on location in my town. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Was that the movie with Gronk in it?!?!?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I've lived in some beautiful places but Cherry Hill, NJ is not necessarily one of them.
    I love my yard and could show a picture of that but as far as the city, itself?  Boring.

Perhaps the coolest thing is that it is straight suburbia only 10 miles from Philly and this....so you would never know you are that close to a big city in my hood.  Lots of fun stuff to do in Philly but we don't have most of the drawbacks living here.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004

Maybe next year we’ll put some paint on.

I’ve been to Cumberland. Some friends of the wife had their wedding at a farm outside of the town a few years back. Nice area.
    Probably Brookedale Farms.  EEEEEVERYONE in the area has their wedding there.  Though there are a few similar places around, that one is the most popular.  It's closest to town so there is more access to hotels, bars, etc.
    It is a very nice area if you enjoy nature.  So much to do recreation wise within a half hour in any direction.  Deep Creek Lake and Nemacolin Woodlands are both 45 minutes away.  And we also have the advantage of being equidistant to Pittsburgh, Baltimore, & DC (about a 2 hr drive each) so if you need a dose of city life, you're only just a day trip away.  Cleveland, Philly, & Richmond are all about 3 1/2 hrs if you're feeling even more adventurous.
    Our biggest downfall is that we are a very poor town, employment is hard to find, taxes are extremely high, and we're crippled with opioid & heroin addiction.  On the plus side violent crime is virtually non-existent despite all that.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Two blocks from the beach.
    Myrtle Beach

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    edited February 2019
    Annafalk said:

This is seriously where you live?!  It is absolutely gorgeous.
    So far the op's photo of australia wins my vote.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    mcgruff10 said:
    Annafalk said:

This is seriously where you live?!  It is absolutely gorgeous.
    So far the op's photo of australia wins my vote.
    Yeah, the woods looks nice but I thought the house looked kind of scary. It was just a joke :)
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Two blocks from the beach.
    Myrtle Beach

You're semi close to me! I live 15 minutes from Wrightsville Beach, NC.

https://youtu.be/vMHjhoB3USM
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ Not what I meant to post lmaoo! :rofl:

This is Wrightsville Beach... Lolol

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    West Hollywood, CA.  For all its faults (pun intended!) and plasticity, it is usually a beautiful place to me.

It's home.

From our condo looking east at sunset:

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2019
    NYC. From the roof deck of my building- looking east to the Empire State Building.

Post edited by Renfield on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    do do do, lookin’ out my backdoor.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Snow covered St. Paul, MN. That’s a good 2 1/2 feet of snow. Got a good shot at another 10 inches this weekend.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Snow covered St. Paul, MN. That’s a good 2 1/2 feet of snow. Got a good shot at another 10 inches this weekend.
    That is what she said!

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

That is what she said!

what, 3 x 3.3?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I was thinking 5x2
  • lol
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Near my home ... recently renamed "The Barrington Coast" formerly known as "The Great Lakes" ..3 huge lake systems between the Barrington Mountains and Mid North Coast of NSW. This is Sand Bar and Celito Beach in Pacific Palms NSW. I took the day off work to hang out there last Monday. Its a pretty boardwalk through the palms and undergrowth to get to the beach.
    Australia 👍💖

Oh my!  That is beautiful!

PJ_Soul said:

One of the best cities I've ever been to (and I've been to a lot of major North American cities!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    When I tell people I live in California they assume I mean here L.A.):

I tell them, "No here is my backyard":

But in truth, here our little downtown Placerville:

And this is where I work in town:

and at home:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.