Options

are you digital or analog?

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,050
    analog
    Up in August and will probably stay analog. Bootleg is a wash, so $10 for the tshirt and Deep works for me. 
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    analog
    I'm sticking with the analog level...
    $20 for a bootleg code, Deep magazine & T-shirt still seems like a good deal to me.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    just switched/will be switching to digital due to recent changes
    Definitely switching to digital. The 45 was the only draw for me. The T-shirt designs have been lazy/ugly, and I don't care about a printed copy of Deep - the PDF works for me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    analog
    derbydave said:
    I'm sticking with the analog level...
    $20 for a bootleg code, Deep magazine & T-shirt still seems like a good deal to me.
    +1
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    digital
    rummy said:
    I should read the fine print a little more closely but is the analog-members-only t-shirt free with the subscription or do you have to pay an additional amount for it (aside from shipping, of course!)?
    You get a coupon code for it.  So you add it to your cart & it will show a price like normal, but then you apply the code & get it for free.  I'm not sure about Canada and Int'l, but in the US shipping has always been free on the Analog member item.
    Nice to know. So $20US for a t-shirt (along with a print version of DEEP magazine and a code to download a bootleg). Not too bad - as long as you like the look of t-shirt and you don't care if whether you get lossy or lossless files (they really should give the member the option of applying the code to discount a FLAC, ALAC, etc version of the bootleg).
  • Options
    analog
    rummy said:
    Nice to know. So $20US for a t-shirt (along with a print version of DEEP magazine and a code to download a bootleg). Not too bad - as long as you like the look of t-shirt and you don't care if whether you get lossy or lossless files (they really should give the member the option of applying the code to discount a FLAC, ALAC, etc version of the bootleg).
    THEY DO...
    Bootleg Download Code:
    The bootleg download coupon is valid for one year or for as long as your membership remains current.
    This is good for a one-time use on a free MP3 or $10 off of the other digital formats. 
    This cannot be used on CDs.
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    analog
    23scidoo said:
    Renewing early April..don't know what i do yet..
    I renew in April too and I haven't decided either so as of the moment, I'm analog. 
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    analog
    Too dumb to vote correctly
    (Actually Analog)
    :rofl:
    "Too old to rock and roll, too young too die."
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    digital
    derbydave said:
    rummy said:
    THEY DO...
    Bootleg Download Code:
    The bootleg download coupon is valid for one year or for as long as your membership remains current.
    This is good for a one-time use on a free MP3 or $10 off of the other digital formats. 
    This cannot be used on CDs.
    Thanks for clarifying. I guess it was the no-discount-on-a-CD stipulation I was thinking about.
    This discount (and potential t-shirt) is making me considering UPGRADING this summer. Admittedly, I have no use for vinyl.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    "just switched/will be switching to analog due to recent changes" who in the earth in their right mind would consider such a thing? It's literally like saying: I'm a fool and I love to pay more for less.
    Right?! I think that selection should be changed to "I've always been Analog, but not renewing PERIOD this year." That's the one I would be choosing.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,084
    I'm Analog, but I'll switch to digital before I renew in October.   For me I, I loved the Christmas single.  It was the part of the Analog membership that appealed to me.   Absolutely staying digital though.   I've done pretty good with 10c tickets.  I think I've missed tickets for (only) 1 show where 10c tickets were available in my 21 years in the 10c.   Way better than dealing with TM for the shitty leftovers :)
  • Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 337
    edited February 2019
    analog
    yeah i started the poll because i'm currently analog but renewing in march and am still undecided if I'm going to switch, that and i was curious how big the effect of ending the vinyl single was on members downgrading from analog to digital...

i was going to start a thread that would be a petition to bring back the vinyl single just to see how many signatures it would get, but at this point why bother...?

ed once said 'hope is the underdog'... but now it just feels more like trent reznor's 'hope is lost'... so fuck it, lol
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    analog
    my_wave said:
    yeah i started the poll because i'm currently analog but renewing in march and am still undecided if I'm going to switch, that and i was curious how big the effect of ending the vinyl single was on members downgrading from analog to digital...

i was going to start a thread that would be a petition to bring back the vinyl single just to see how many signatures it would get, but at this point why bother...?

ed once said 'hope is the underdog'... but now it just feels more like trent reznor's 'hope is lost'... so fuck it, lol
    I also renew in March. Staying analog works for me. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    To me it was an easy decision.
    1) T-shirts are bad, and I never wear them.
    2) Digital boots are a throwaway medium
    3) Still waiting on 2 years of printed Deep magazines
  • Options
    digital
    MedozK said:
    To me it was an easy decision.
    1) T-shirts are bad, and I never wear them.
    2) Digital boots are a throwaway medium
    3) Still waiting on 2 years of printed Deep magazines
    Good to know. I won't upgrade.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    digital
    My decision to switch last year was because:
    1) The vinyl & Deep are always 2 years late
    2) The vinyl is eventually available in the shop for $10.
    3) The membership items, except for the gold/yellow logo shirt, have all been lackluster.

For me, it's just easier to spend $20 a year, know what I'm getting for it, then buy the vinyl later (which I now don't even have to worry about).  I do miss getting the bootleg code, but that's a wash in cost. I can use the $20 I'm saving from the membership fee to buy a bootleg in any format I like, including CD.
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I have been in the club since Spring of 1998, and analog since they offered the different tiers. I currently have an Outlook task reminder to change it to digital though before my renewal date. I'm holding off as long as I can, hoping that they offer some incentive to stay, but I think they actually want everyone digital. Less work for them. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    digital
    I switched a few years ago. Analog wasn't worth it by then because what they were putting on the singles wasn't doing it for me. It was the 99 Problems/Shattered Duet one that did it. I think I went one more year after that, and then I bailed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    analog
    I'm still analogue, but that's just due to not changing it. Shirt has been terrible for years and if you are in the larger sizes, they are out of shape when they arrive. Last few years I have gotten a small size and given it to a young family friend that is a fan of the band but is at school and can't afford any Merch etc. So I think I just keep it so I can pass the shirt on to them
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    analog
    rummy said:
    I should read the fine print a little more closely but is the analog-members-only t-shirt free with the subscription or do you have to pay an additional amount for it (aside from shipping, of course!)?
    You get a coupon code for it.  So you add it to your cart & it will show a price like normal, but then you apply the code & get it for free.  I'm not sure about Canada and Int'l, but in the US shipping has always been free on the Analog member item.

Some have said that there's a customs fee for international buyers.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    analog
    DerbyDave brought up two good points.

For me, I like holding the magazine in my hands. With digital copies, there's the occasional need to zoom in/out plus the whole thing of freezing/crashing...stuff that simply doesn't happen when a physical copy sits on a shelf.

Regarding downloads...the past few years, they've done a discount sale in late November...this is great because I got HD copies for one cent (after discount) and ALAC copies for free (after discount.) -- Just a heads up that even on a 50Mbps connection...it still takes a while.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    analog
    DerbyDave brought up two good points.

For me, I like holding the magazine in my hands. With digital copies, there's the occasional need to zoom in/out plus the whole thing of freezing/crashing...stuff that simply doesn't happen when a physical copy sits on a shelf.

Regarding downloads...the past few years, they've done a discount sale in late November...this is great because I got HD copies for one cent (after discount) and ALAC copies for free (after discount.) -- Just a heads up that even on a 50Mbps connection...it still takes a while.
    I do enjoy looking thru the hard copy of Deep...
    hoping one of the issues that we are due will have a nice feature on the MoPop exhibit!!
    The past few years I've ended up using my 10 Club codes to download the files for the Vault releases, 
    since the records don't come with a download card.

• Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    edited March 2019
    Analóg, going digital, 50 is too much for a tee, website access and no wax, the mag alone just doesn't cut it
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138
    analog
    Analog because the price wasn't too bad for a shirt (designs aren't horrible to me, but I wish they said Pearl Jam on them), book, 7" single, bootleg code (which I haven't used any yet), and of course a better shot at tickets. But with the change, I'll be considering going digital in August when my membership is up, so they've got 5 months to hopefully come up with something to keep me analog.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Currently Analog. Not renewing at all when membership ends in May.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    im def moving down to digital, from analog. i'm old and can not justify owning anymore rock tshirts as i have 2 suitcases full of them already
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    im def moving down to digital, from analog. i'm old and can not justify owning anymore rock tshirts as i have 2 suitcases full of them already
    Flip the content of one suitcase, pay the the fee with that, with the remaining, since the other suitcase is packed already, take a trip
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    lol oh i take lottsa trips so no worries there   ;)
    i seriously dont know what i am going to do with 30+ years of rock concert tshirts that are not brand new
    im just glad i stopped collecting everything... before it got out of control   !!
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,469
    "I aspire to think of myself as an analog person, but I am not. I have been converted to digital without the remastering, and the fidelity is appalling." - Chuck Klosterman
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    I'm British so I'm confused..