YESTERDAY movie

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
edited February 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
I haven't been too excited to see many new movies over the last few years but I'm blown away at the potential this one has. Holy shit what a great, and unique, idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0irKUtaCaU
chinese-happy.jpg

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Interesting. I can be slow, but a little confused about what the accident has to do with it. Is it all a dream? Do the Beatles not exist to anyone and he dreamed about the music? Am I way off?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    edited February 2019
    Saw this earlier. 
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Interesting. I can be slow, but a little confused about what the accident has to do with it. Is it all a dream? Do the Beatles not exist to anyone and he dreamed about the music? Am I way off?
    Don't ask questions Cliff! 

I think there was some sort of cataclysmic event that wiped the Beatles from the entire world's history.....except for this guy's memory. Or something like that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hub. said:

chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    that actually looks pretty interesting.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772

I think there was some sort of cataclysmic event that wiped the Beatles from the entire world's history.....except for this guy's memory. Or something like that.
    Yeah, I'm guessing he was knocked out, or something while everyone else had they're brains lightly scrambled.

Or, maybe it's all a Jacob's Ladder scenario, and this film is going to be way darker than anyone anticipated.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    edited February 2019
    ^
    Would love it to go a darker route.

My only concern is with this coming out in Summer and it being too much fluff and poppy instead of introspective and artsy like a Fall release would usually mean. Does that make sense? I think it's such a great idea for a movie that I'm just scared Hollywood will find a way to screw it the fuck up....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    This looks awesome.  At a minimum the soundtrack will be great.  
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Soundtrack looks like it will be the lead actor doing Beatles covers.
    Might be better versions of those songs elsewhere. ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    ^

My only concern is with this coming out in Summer and it being too much fluff and poppy instead of introspective and artsy like a Fall release would usually mean. Does that make sense? I think it's such a great idea for a movie that I'm just scared Hollywood will find a way to screw it the fuck up....
    Well, the darker route is the entire movie taking place in the last moment before he dies, so I'd rather they not go that dark. That said, I think I get what you mean - he's basically stealing an entire catalog of music from a group, and there are moral and ethical implications to that. The trailer seems to hint at some of that (he keeps trying to say he didn't write these songs, has some conflicted moments), but is also set up to be a RomCom between him and the school teacher.

I think this concept could also be a great way to explore the inner demons many of our favorite singers have faced - the insecurities and anxieties and impostor syndrome - he's a singer-songwriter who suddenly becomes a mega-star, but he didn't write the songs. He keeps trying to tell people this, but no one believes him. Paul and the Gang show up to reclaim their music, but only when no one else is around. Hallucinations? Maybe, but as the movie goes on, they get more and more frequent. He tries to "fix" himself with distractions (drugs, booze, parties, sex), but they get angrier and stronger, leading to a final confrontation where he (and us the audience) finally discover whether or not they're real, at which point the movie can still go a couple of directions. If they're real, he's a fake, and has to face this. If they're hallucinations, he has to face the fact that he DID write these songs, and deal with that.

But yeah, summer movie, probably a RomCom. Could be fun, but yeah, probably not as good as it could be.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I had no idea about a film's weightiness being tied to a seasonal release.  This one looks quite interesting in theory and the music (re)done very well.

Looking forward to seeing it sometime in 2020 whenever it's picked up Netflix or Amazon!
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    edited February 2019

"Hey Dude, Dudeedudeedudee..."

LOL

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited February 2019
     Poncier said:
    Soundtrack looks like it will be the lead actor doing Beatles covers.
    Might be better versions of those songs elsewhere. ;)

I'm just trying to follow the spirit of the movie.  Back off! ;)  
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mpedone said:

Yeah, I'm guessing he was knocked out, or something while everyone else had they're brains lightly scrambled.

Or, maybe it's all a Jacob's Ladder scenario, and this film is going to be way darker than anyone anticipated.
    My guess is it is one of those things where the plot is completely unrealistic, but that is the point. This looks like a great movie, just don't go in expecting some sort of scientific answers behind why The Beatles don't exist. Just meant to be fun.
    That is my guess.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Are the fab4 alive and just never formed the band?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Mostly a fantastical vehicle to drum up some dormant Beatles love. Like a rolling stone I dig it.
    ed243421 said:
    Are the fab4 alive and just never formed the band?
    The scene where James Corden says "I've got 2 men who claim that the songs are theirs" and you see a set of barefoot feet and a set of shod feet must be alluding to Macca and Ringo.
    Didn’t see that 

interested to see where they go with that 

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

But the cordon show seems to be early after he is discovered

we also see scenes where he is the biggest rock star in the world after the cordon show

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Jbarker said:
    Mostly a fantastical vehicle to drum up some dormant Beatles love. Like a rolling stone I dig it.
    Dormant? I wouldn't exactly use that word
    I miss igotid88
  • Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,985
    edited February 2019
    Hub. said:

Sorry! I didn't find any version with subs. :-/

The story is: What if Johnny Halliday (a famous French rocker who, btw, died last year) had never existed?
    Fabrice is a big - perhaps the biggest - fan of Jean-Philippe Smet, better known as Johnny Hallyday, the greatest rocker France has ever produced. After being hit at the head, he's waking up in a world in which Jean-Pilippe has never made it as a rockstar. He will then have to reverse the situation.

Post edited by Hub. on
    I will be seeing this tomorrow. We rarely go to the movies anymore so I'm really hoping this will be good. Tried to stay away from reviews but the fact that I haven't randomly come across good ones or seen any of their commercials with legit good reviewer quotes in them has me worried. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    You're seeing Yesterday tomorrow? How confusing.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Watched the trailer a few times and it looks like fun.
    Sure it will be sappy love movie sprinkled with Beatles songs....but hope there is a good movie there.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    I think you will probably end up disappointed The Juggler, but I hope not.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    I'm gonna see it although I'm hearing it's getting mixed reviews.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Welp.
    It was about what I was expecting and not what I was hoping for after first seeing the trailer. First half was really interesting, funny, and heartfelt. Then they rushed the second half and turned into a romantic comedy for the most part. 

Oh well. I still recommend it just for the music. That actor can actually sing a little bit.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mpedone said:
    ^

Well, the darker route is the entire movie taking place in the last moment before he dies, so I'd rather they not go that dark. That said, I think I get what you mean - he's basically stealing an entire catalog of music from a group, and there are moral and ethical implications to that. The trailer seems to hint at some of that (he keeps trying to say he didn't write these songs, has some conflicted moments), but is also set up to be a RomCom between him and the school teacher.

I think this concept could also be a great way to explore the inner demons many of our favorite singers have faced - the insecurities and anxieties and impostor syndrome - he's a singer-songwriter who suddenly becomes a mega-star, but he didn't write the songs. He keeps trying to tell people this, but no one believes him. Paul and the Gang show up to reclaim their music, but only when no one else is around. Hallucinations? Maybe, but as the movie goes on, they get more and more frequent. He tries to "fix" himself with distractions (drugs, booze, parties, sex), but they get angrier and stronger, leading to a final confrontation where he (and us the audience) finally discover whether or not they're real, at which point the movie can still go a couple of directions. If they're real, he's a fake, and has to face this. If they're hallucinations, he has to face the fact that he DID write these songs, and deal with that.

But yeah, summer movie, probably a RomCom. Could be fun, but yeah, probably not as good as it could be.
    Your idea would have made for a much better movie. You should be a screenwriter. 

Also-Kate McKinnon sucked in her role.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    edited July 2019
    The whole movie boils down to a line a woman says that the world is just a generally better place with the music of the Beatles in it. I enjoyed the movie and I’m sure I’ll see it again. 

I didn't care for one scene towards the end by the sea. That felt a bit forced. But that will make sense when you see it. 
    Post edited by ledvedderman on