Can you legally play Pearl Jam in your business????

hunterpumpkinhunterpumpkin Posts: 59
edited January 2019 in The Porch
has anybody had to battle companies contacting you to stop playing Pearl Jam/ or other music in your business without paying a fee? ASCAP is one of the bodies that protects the artists. Many businesses like barbers, yoga studios and bars cannot LEGALLY play Pearl Jam. Is this what it’s come down to?
Life comes from within your hopes and desires

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited January 2019
    The only reason that I am aware of why I cannot play PJ at work is because, well, they swear a lot.  (I work at an art gallery.) I'm fine with it, but the high dollar folks who pay my paycheck by purchasing art don't necessarily appreciate it.  I would also get in trouble.  Was listening to Pixies one day and they dropped the almighty f bomb.  Thankful that the person at the counter was 1. younger and understanding and 2. accepted my apology.  She laughed and said that it didn't even register until I gasped and apologized.  Needless to say, Pixies aren't on my work playlist anymore either.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • This is a gym, so I currently use Spotify. Most of the lyrics are lost in the workout unless it’s obvious. Once a limp Bizkits version of “ Faith “ came on. Wow.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    We play Benaroya very often at the restaurant where i'm working..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Love Benaroya. Do you know if they play CDs or do a stream. I don’t know if many businesses worry about it
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    I don't think PJ music is that much 'f bombed'. Maybe live shows a little more. Anyway, just some fuck's and kcuf and shit here and there, no big deal.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Love Benaroya. Do you know if they play CDs or do a stream. I don’t know if many businesses worry about it
    You tube
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • I don’t know if Pearl a would enforce the “law” . From what I understand, restaurants and or gyms CANNOT by law play music that is not through a licensed company. I don’t know if PJ would ever enforce that. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    The only way you would get in trouble is if you were using the music to promote the business without an agreement to do so.  There is nothing that prevents you from playing music. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    My only problem would be my co-worker. He would hate it.. :lol: 

Actually nobody around me still listens to PJ. I'm living in the wrong country… but only in that case! ;)