Options

Meanwhile in AustraliašŸ˜‚

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Poor thing, so glad someone is kind and helping him out. Ā I'll take the cold over those temps you are experiencing. Ā The hydroĀ bills will be through the roof. Ā Keep us posted.
    koalas dont actually drink water they get moisture through gum leaves normally. There are lots of posts like this where they are so dehydrated they are searching for water. We are asked to leave bowls of water out for the wildlife. Its cooled down slightly in some parts. It will be about 36 where i am so not too bad. Actually its going to top 39 im already melting šŸ˜§
    I did not know that about Koalas, thanks for informing me. Ā So glad to hear concern for theĀ animals. Ā 39, that would be tortureĀ for me. Ā Here it is -16, Southern Ontario, cold all weekend and calling for 20-35 cm of snow Monday. Ā And the school buses will get cancelled, but schools will be open.
    I would hate that kind of cold weather. Especially going to school! I hate getting up for work when its 10 degrees haha. Today was 44 degrees at 11am so the weather app. lied lol. You can always guarantee another 10 degree and what they say it will be. Its been a yucky day.
    That's crazy 44, I hopeĀ people are checking on the elderly and vulnerable people in society. Ā In Canada you can not avoid the cold, there is colder places that I would notĀ to live.
    I live in a small community so we have community facebook page. Everybody looks out for each other. Not sure about the bigger cities but i think most people share the same concerns but not everyone. Its constantly on the news the warnings and to check on neighbours and elderly etc. Still have to wonder about those that leave kids and animals locked in hot cars.. you cant fix stupid i guess.Ā 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Poor thing, so glad someone is kind and helping him out. Ā I'll take the cold over those temps you are experiencing. Ā The hydroĀ bills will be through the roof. Ā Keep us posted.
    koalas dont actually drink water they get moisture through gum leaves normally. There are lots of posts like this where they are so dehydrated they are searching for water. We are asked to leave bowls of water out for the wildlife. Its cooled down slightly in some parts. It will be about 36 where i am so not too bad. Actually its going to top 39 im already melting šŸ˜§
    I did not know that about Koalas, thanks for informing me. Ā So glad to hear concern for theĀ animals. Ā 39, that would be tortureĀ for me. Ā Here it is -16, Southern Ontario, cold all weekend and calling for 20-35 cm of snow Monday. Ā And the school buses will get cancelled, but schools will be open.
    I would hate that kind of cold weather. Especially going to school! I hate getting up for work when its 10 degrees haha. Today was 44 degrees at 11am so the weather app. lied lol. You can always guarantee another 10 degree and what they say it will be. Its been a yucky day.
    That's crazy 44, I hopeĀ people are checking on the elderly and vulnerable people in society. Ā In Canada you can not avoid the cold, there is colder places that I would notĀ to live.
    I live in a small community so we have community facebook page. Everybody looks out for each other. Not sure about the bigger cities but i think most people share the same concerns but not everyone. Its constantly on the news the warnings and to check on neighbours and elderly etc. Still have to wonder about those that leave kids and animals locked in hot cars.. you cant fix stupid i guess.Ā 
    I guess I mentioned because whenever we have severe weather, the news often reminds us to look out for our elderly neighbours. Ā I think most people where I live pay attention, but I have never experienced those temps. Ā Us, it's more the winter that can get us down.
    Give Peas A Chanceā€¦
  • Options
    rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    there have already been 300 cases this summer of idiots leaving children or dogs locked in hot cars. It is legal to smash the window if in distress otherwise call emergency services. This seems to happen a lot even though the warnings are everywhere.Ā 
  • Options
    Sometimes the heat is just too much.. Poor animals šŸ˜¢
    https://www.facebook.com/120462627634/posts/10156311890517635/
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever get used to turning on the cold water tap, only to find the water coming out of it is too hot to touch!

I was texting my brother back home in Wales last week. It was 39 degrees here at the time, and he replied with a video of him hiking through snow!
    ā€œDo not postpone happinessā€
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

ā€œPut yer good money on the sunriseā€
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever get used to turning on the cold water tap, only to find the water coming out of it is too hot to touch!

I was texting my brother back home in Wales last week. It was 39 degrees here at the time, and he replied with a video of him hiking through snow!
    I had a cold shower in my swimmers and sat on the lounge wet with an ice pack under my feet today haha. Its finally cooled down to about 27 degrees. Alcoholic slushies for dinneršŸ˜‰
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Do both of you in the profile pic post under the rhanishane account?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Do both of you in the profile pic post under the rhanishane account?
    No only mešŸ˜‰
  • Options
    Still dying in the heat in Aus. Torrential flooding occurring in northern Queensland, Tasmania is basically burning to the ground from deadly bushfires in the south. Millions more fish are dead in the west as breaking news into a royal commission has found that mismanagement of our River systems by dodgy politics and cotton growers coupled with drought have destroyed the environment, (like we didn't already know!!) Thousands of flying foxes who are major pollinators are dropping dead in the heat, up to 1/3 of the population now dead.
    Hopefully tomorrow brings a cooler change for all here.
    Feeling for those in America suffering the polar blast. I think i would prefer the heat to be honest but then again I'm conditioned to a warmer climate.
  • Options
    I would never survive that heat. Ā It's minus 25 here currently. Ā I have never seen my dog do her business so fast, I do not if she even leaves the deck. Ā My only concern with the cold is that my furnace works and my Jeep starts...

Give Peas A Chanceā€¦
  • Options
    It really does look like a scene from "Day after Tomorrow" šŸ˜®
    https://www.facebook.com/59944789668/posts/10157134396104669/
  • Options
    I would never survive that heat. Ā It's minus 25 here currently. Ā I have never seen my dog do her business so fast, I do not if she even leaves the deck. Ā My only concern with the cold is that my furnace works and my Jeep starts...

close to 40 degrees again today. We still have to work in the heat. I work indoors and outdoors so i can escape to air conditioning if its too hot.
  • Options
    Stay safe over there people we dont see anything like this down under!
    https://www.facebook.com/114503341893201/posts/2648376325172544/

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    It was 39 degrees here yesterday, and itā€™s 21 right now. That may not sound cold but 18 degrees is a big drop overnight
    ā€œDo not postpone happinessā€
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

ā€œPut yer good money on the sunriseā€
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    It was 39 degrees here yesterday, and itā€™s 21 right now. That may not sound cold but 18 degrees is a big drop overnight
    same here its so nice to have some cool weather finally. January was the hottest weather in Australia ever recorded.Ā 
  • Options
    wildfire is now breaching the last remaining world heritage forest in Tasmania. what a catastrophe. Meanwhile north QLD has record breaking floods with an estimated 2000mm of rain.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1260040630815615&id=100004290700883
  • Options
    wildfire is now breaching the last remaining world heritage forest in Tasmania. what a catastrophe. Meanwhile north QLD has record breaking floods with an estimated 2000mm of rain.
    That's sad. Ā 2000mm of rain wow. Ā We went from -16c to 10c in 3 days...
    Give Peas A Chanceā€¦
  • Options
    That's sad. Ā 2000mm of rain wow. Ā We went from -16c to 10c in 3 days...
    glad its warming up for you. Australia is in turmoil. crazy extremes all over the country to record breaking heat, fires and floods and drought.Ā 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    I'd rather live in any subzero temp than in a place that reached 44. I have been in weather nearly that hot before in Canada - the Okanagan saw 42 during a heat wave when I was unfortunately there in 2008 I think - as well as in Chicago during a heatwave, which definitely hit 44C with the humidity. And to me that seemed FAR more deadly and miserable than cold weather. I know some died from these frigid temps lately, but when I was in that crazy heat in Chicago, people were dying in droves it seemed, and having all kinds of medical problems. There were ambulances going up and down the streets almost constantly, to go to the next place where someone collapsed from heat stroke. Really hot weather is absolutely the WORST. At least in the cold you can bundle up.Ā 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'd rather live in any subzero temp than in a place that reached 44. I have been in weather nearly that hot before in Canada - the Okanagan saw 42 during a heat wave when I was unfortunately there in 2008 I think - as well as in Chicago during a heatwave, which definitely hit 44C with the humidity. And to me that seemed FAR more deadly and miserable than cold weather. I know some died from these frigid temps lately, but when I was in that crazy heat in Chicago, people were dying in droves it seemed, and having all kinds of medical problems. There were ambulances going up and down the streets almost constantly, to go to the next place where someone collapsed from heat stroke. Really hot weather is absolutely the WORST. At least in the cold you can bundle up.Ā 
    yep heat can take you down before you even know it. Usually the effects are felt when its too late.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    North QLD goes from drought to a 100 year flood.. Good reason people are being warned to stay out of the flood waters imagine finding a croc in your back yard!Ā 
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/crocodile-emerges-floodwaters-terrify-mum-kids-queensland-backyard-042551936.html
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    thanks for posting that i wanted to watch it. I remember watching this unfold on the news when it happened and then the stories and pictures afterwards was even more shocking than the video here. Absolutely heartbreaking šŸ’”
  • Options
    R.I.P to the 173 killed on black saturday 10 years ago on 7.2.09
  • Options
    Devastating scenes in QLD. Australia just can't catch a breakšŸ˜¢
    https://www.facebook.com/226228487518348/posts/1350019901805862/
  • Options
    It is almost like Australia and California are ground zero for climate change. Ā Here in Canada in January, I am getting rain...lol
    Give Peas A Chanceā€¦
  • Options
    It is almost like Australia and California are ground zero for climate change. Ā Here in Canada in January, I am getting rain...lol
    I was thinking the same thing. Definite similarities there.
  • Options
    I live in Canada and itā€™s been raining today. Ā In February?
    Give Peas A Chanceā€¦
  • Options
    what is it normally in Feb?
  • Options
    what is it normally in Feb?
    February is the shortest month of the year, but it always seems like the longest because it is usually cold. Ā I think with March right around the corner makes February seem longer. Ā Every once in a while we will get a mild winter. Ā This winter has been mild for the most part with a few days of the polar vortex mixed in...we have only had 2 snow events so far.
    Give Peas A Chanceā€¦