Future of Pearl Jam, in a positive light

theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
I see the guys kind of on the same tier as the Grateful Dead: rabid fans, changing sets, progressive ideals. What if they start incorporating the works of the various members solo output in the PJ show? Like how the Dead played Jerry and Bob's solo stuff. That might inject some life in Jeff, Stone and Mike's energy so they don't feel like they have to wait for King Vedder to get around to the new album. 
Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
STL 2014
Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I think it would be cool to change up their cover songs to their shows and experiment that way if they won’t have much new music.  
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Alternatively, they could play some of their own material more frequently, and some of their own materially less frequently.

Other than journalistic laziness, I've never understood how the bands live approach got tied to the Grateful Dead.  They are more akin to a mix of the Who and Bruce Springsteen, the dead did it all much differently than Pearl Jam.  The Grateful Dead only took off when Garcia went into a coma. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    They are still together. They are all still alive. There are so many bands that cannot say the same. For those reasons alone the future of Pearl Jam should be seen in a positive light. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    I really enjoyed the Boston shows and thought they were a super fun time. I heard some songs I haven't heard in a long time and just really enjoyed the experience. It sounded like the other home shows were just as fun.

listening to my boots just recently I look forward to some touring in the near future and just rocking out!
  • JimmyV said:
    They are still together. They are all still alive. There are so many bands that cannot say the same. For those reasons alone the future of Pearl Jam should be seen in a positive light. 
    spot on.
    my glass is more than half full
    being grateful for what you have is everything
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I have often thought it would be great to do the band's solo / side project stuff in lieu of other covers.  

Went to Rome last year...was thinking Eddie's voive might not be back (but boy was it ever!).  If he was struggling I fully expected to her some of the other guys take vocals on their own songs.  They kinda did it a little but not with the solo/side projects stuff as I thought they might.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Also, there is so much to listen to, many old school bootlegs, that are quite good and worth taking time to enjoy.  Dig them up.  Also everyone loss your tiny phones and ear buds.  Get a nice system, get uncompressed files.  Crank it.  Crank it up.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    JimmyV said:
    spot on.
    my glass is more than half full
    being grateful for what you have is everything
    I love this.  My glass is more than half full.  Words to live by -- no matter how you feel, about any subject. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • swardsward Posts: 586
    I wish they'd do this on a tour and album release if they have one ready to go. Say they are planning a 15 date spin through the US and Canada. Each show have a new song or two or three. Weave the new album through the tour and then release the studio version at end of tour.  Given a lot of the fan base gets worked up over new songs and the buzz after a show on the boards when a new one got played.
     Will the album sales be the same doing it this way? Who cares really? I'm sure the fans that buy the album nowadays still will to  hear the studio mixes. 
    Just something different. I look at Of the Earth. I'd LOVE a studio version. I'm excited to hear one. I will buy whatever album that happens on. 
    Anyway. The true risk is the band decides they don't like the original and want to change it up ;) - So in that case. Have the songs narrowed down to 15 final mixes with an expected 12 on the album. Based on concert reception whittle it down to the 12 and touch it up if needed. Then release ;)
  • theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    PB11041 said:
    Alternatively, they could play some of their own material more frequently, and some of their own materially less frequently.

Other than journalistic laziness, I've never understood how the bands live approach got tied to the Grateful Dead.  They are more akin to a mix of the Who and Bruce Springsteen, the dead did it all much differently than Pearl Jam.  The Grateful Dead only took off when Garcia went into a coma. 
    Not sure what you mean about the Dead not taking off only when Garcia went into a coma? Bob recorded and played solo gigs all the time, and the Jerry Garcia Band played tons of shows. 

Regardless, I think Pearl Jam has been incredibly gracious and consistent. Much more than other bands that have been around as long as them. They should celebrate all of their creative output, like how they cover Mother Love Bone or Temple tunes. 
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
    edited January 2019
    I have often thought it would be great to do the band's solo / side project stuff in lieu of other covers.  

Went to Rome last year...was thinking Eddie's voive might not be back (but boy was it ever!).  If he was struggling I fully expected to her some of the other guys take vocals on their own songs.  They kinda did it a little but not with the solo/side projects stuff as I thought they might.
    Great idea.

And Rome was awesome!
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    JimmyV said:
    Indeed!
  • sward said:
    I wish they'd do this on a tour and album release if they have one ready to go. Say they are planning a 15 date spin through the US and Canada. Each show have a new song or two or three. Weave the new album through the tour and then release the studio version at end of tour.  Given a lot of the fan base gets worked up over new songs and the buzz after a show on the boards when a new one got played.
     Will the album sales be the same doing it this way? Who cares really? I'm sure the fans that buy the album nowadays still will to  hear the studio mixes. 
    Just something different. I look at Of the Earth. I'd LOVE a studio version. I'm excited to hear one. I will buy whatever album that happens on. 
    Anyway. The true risk is the band decides they don't like the original and want to change it up ;) - So in that case. Have the songs narrowed down to 15 final mixes with an expected 12 on the album. Based on concert reception whittle it down to the 12 and touch it up if needed. Then release ;)

How about Pearl Jam write an album of new material then record it as a live album?  Imagine a live album of all new songs.  Wouldn't that be a cool new idea?  That's what Let it Be was supposed to be but didn't quite get there except a couple of tracks from the rooftop show.

|9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    Didn't ed say in single video theory.  We go away. And come back as friends.  I'm paraphrasing. They are still together.  And let's be glad of that.  

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
    PB11041 said:

Not sure what you mean about the Dead not taking off only when Garcia went into a coma? Bob recorded and played solo gigs all the time, and the Jerry Garcia Band played tons of shows. 

Regardless, I think Pearl Jam has been incredibly gracious and consistent. Much more than other bands that have been around as long as them. They should celebrate all of their creative output, like how they cover Mother Love Bone or Temple tunes. 
    I don't know how to be any more clear about this, the Grateful dead toured in 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, hiatus but still played a few shows in 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986 still played 40+ shows year Garcia went into coma, 1987 comeback and play 83 shows, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995  - they averaged around 65-85 shows a year, other than 1975 they were on the road for a minimum of 40+ dates a year.

• guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    I only hope that if they do stop it's a nice stop  . A stop as in we've done this amazing thing let's keep the love do our own thing and as a surprise for us they come back and do something and not a stop stop stop.. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    I can't imagine they'd ever actually break up or announce a retirement or anything. They wouldn't burn their bridges. They'll just play less and less until nobody wants to book them, and/or they don't want to schedule anything.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    so when or if a new record is released, will the thread then turn to "not as good as Ten but better than Backspacer? I imagine their kids are taking up a lot of their time and good for them if it is.
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    PJ_Soul said:
    I can't imagine they'd ever actually break up or announce a retirement or anything. They wouldn't burn their bridges. They'll just play less and less until nobody wants to book them, and/or they don't want to schedule anything.
    Can't see someone NOT wanting to book them lol but as said kids do take up your time and it's good to know that they want to spend time with them unlike other professional people... 
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited January 2019
    I believe the last few albums all stand on their own but collectively do a great job at merging the live energy in the studio.  And Lightning Bolt went beyond that to become a perfect follow up to PJ20.  The 10th album's main strength focused on the band they have become up until that point.  Although they don't make reactionary albums, there are certain aspects that tend to change from one to the next.  My feeling is the next one will be transformative and answer the question of "what else can they be?"  I find that possibility super exciting!
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Like the title change. For me doing something out of their comfortzone. Experiment. Come with thoughtful songs in an era we need thoughtful songs. Play with soundscapes. Create that 9 minute song. Give us that guitar solo of Of the Earth, play with different cultural influences, do another spoken word, an instrumental but most of al give us that left hook and leave us stunned. They still have it in them.

How is that for positivity.
    edited January 2019
    I am hoping the riff-meister makes a re-appearance.  Stone had so, so many awesome riffs on Ten and Vs.  Let him take over and set the groove on the next record.  Ed can just focus on the lyrics, vocal on this record.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    Stone is a good riff meister, yet everyones hate Let The Records Play. I am not sure why. It is a fun song like Smile.

In all honesty: the new album will not satisfy all fans. But no album has since Ten, if I believe some people. So a no-win. I hope for something new and fresh with emotional and intellectual depth. Pendulum would be an interesting starting point.

•  Pendulum would be an interesting starting point.

yes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Stone is a good riff meister, yet everyones hate Let The Records Play. I am not sure why. It is a fun song like Smile.

In all honesty: the new album will not satisfy all fans. But no album has since Ten, if I believe some people. So a no-win. I hope for something new and fresh with emotional and intellectual depth. Pendulum would be an interesting starting point.

I can't deal with the lyrics on Let the Records Play. I like the song musically, I agree it was a fun direction to try. 

Hard agree about Pendulum.
    Stone is a good riff meister, yet everyones hate Let The Records Play. I am not sure why. It is a fun song like Smile.

I can't deal with the lyrics on Let the Records Play. I like the song musically, I agree it was a fun direction to try. 

Hard agree about Pendulum.
    Yeah, Ed took that song into a love of vinyl, cheesy direction.  Regardless, it was a song that was interesting/fun to learn on guitar and that is what I want.  I just want some songs that kick ass on guitar.  Mind Your Manners was one.   
    The lyrics kind of reminded me of Unemployable. And the  original comment was: let Gossard write the riff and Ed the lyrics  LTRP is an example of that. To me, it was what it was, I liked it: a song about escapism. I wouldnt call it cheesy. I am very tolerant with lyrics, but Future Days takes the cake or cheese or whatever on that matter. I think the stripped down version, when he plays the song in the promo video, sounds a lot better.

The reason why I like Pendulum as a starting point is because of the dissonance, enstrangement in the beginnin.  If it sounded a bit more  disconnected (like Sleight of Hand) it would musicallly symbolize the landscape we live in. A song doesnt need the structure of verse, bridge, chorus, verse etc. (The new song of Glen Hansard - and watch the video - is an example; its eerie, different than what he has done before.) They are great musicians. They can let that structure go and I personally think if they pull themselves out of that structural straight jacket, they can accomplish amazing things. It will not be for everyones liking. (But so wasnt Vitalogy or No Code or Binaural.) But at this point I want to be surprised. A theme like album. We need one these days. With contemplation and thought. No second Bushleaguer, but something more universal. The fear of the unknown, the fear of complexity (also translated in the music,) of not understanding the interdependence of this interconnected world, translated in the fear of "the Other" and seeking answers in simplicity. There are so many themes here they can connect to and explore. (Wrote a whole book on identification politics,/ tribalism and its seduction). If Ed set his mind to it, he can be an amazing lyricists that combines the personal with the abstract. The last two albums they followed the verse, bridge, chorus routine. And that was fine. But if there is a moment in time to shake things up, being angry about essential issues, than that time is now. That is what I meant with taking Pendulum as the starting point. Not the song, but the atmosphere. Doing something unexpected.

I know that a lot of this is wishful thinking, but hey we can dream. Stepping out of their comfortzone is always good for artists: it makes them grow artistically. If not, I will still enjoy the album.
    edited January 2019

Yeah, when I was typing my original post LTRP definitely came to mind and my hope was Ed would use more of Stone's songs than 1 or 2, and I guess do a better job than he did on LTRP (in my opinion). 

I would love to see an album you are describing Forty.

Yeah, when I was typing my original post LTRP definitely came to mind and my hope was Ed would use more of Stone's songs than 1 or 2, and I guess do a better job than he did on LTRP (in my opinion). 

I would love to see an album you are describing Forty.

Me too 😉.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Ed mentioned a number of years ago, maybe before Backspcer, that he was going to be less complicated and keep the songs and lyrics simple. Their were shades of LB that started to move away from that. Maybe the band need to keep moving in that direction...more complex, a little less predictable, maybe, dare I say it...less live friendly songs. A good song by PJ doesn’t need to be one we all sing at the top of our lungs. Really looking fwd to what the new album holds. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14