A bit dissapointed...

...not with Sea, Kat, TenC or other people involved in making this forum work. I am dissapointed in us.

I am the OP of the thread "New album and rumours/ expecations"". I asked on page 1 and several pages later to keep it positive. Is this so hard, really? Is it so hard *not* to mention which songs or albums you hate, than to share some musical dreams or wishes you have? The thread was suppose to be fun; something to look forward to and start a little bit of a buzz about a thing we all wish for. (The new album.)  But as soon as the thread grew , the negativity grew too.

All I wanted to share was some dreams.

Instead there were comments made that the band is disconnected, in "retirement", the band is in a down fall etc. Etc. Etc.

Why still be a fan if the future is so filled with gloom and doom? I heard these comments since Binaural when their last song was "Parting Ways" . I heard it when they got their own recordd label. This forum is no longer fun to engage or particpate in. The negativity is constant, and the arguments stale and put on repeat for the last 20 years. And you know what: the band is still here. But if I was band member and see some of these comments, my stomach would churn.

This is not a plead to TenClub to open the old thread. This is a plea however to us:  to look in the mirror and ask yourself how you came here, what the love for this band initially was and how *you* and all of us together* can stop the hating and basibg and start some positivity here.

It is always easy to point out what someone didn't do, what the faults or weaknesses of an album or song is/was..

Its so easy.

Its a lot harder to vocalize your dreams, wishes and possibilities. For that means vulnerability. You give something away instead of closing things off with negativity. With things we heard a 1000x. And the funny thing is, comments with negativity always holds the underlining and indirect implication "that this is the hard truth:, the reality".

Etc.

No, it is not the "truth" or "reality". The objective truth is, is that we do not know. That *is* the truth. So stop the gloom and doom. The self pity. Share dreams.

Share your dreams.

Had to get this off my chest. My intention with the OP was positive and not a thread to create this wave of circular negativity. Its not reality. Its nothing than the projections of your own fears and dissapointments and nothing more than that.

Be vulnerable. Instead of feeling sorry and entitled.

Anthonie

Comments

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    It's fine if you want to be positive, but thread title of "rumors/expectations" will get replies along that line. Maybe "best case scenario for next album"? Or something similar 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I still don’t understand what was wrong with them to get shut down... 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    There are a ton of fair weather fans on this board who read one or two comments in an article and they extrapolate that into a bunch of nonsense about rifts in the band and speculate who’s fault it is that they haven’t recorded an album. 

The truth is is no one has any idea what goes on in the band or why an album hasn’t been finished.  Zero idea.  But yet there’s page after page of people putting their opinion forward as fact. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    NewJPage said:
    It's fine if you want to be positive, but thread title of "rumors/expectations" will get replies along that line. Maybe "best case scenario for next album"? Or something similar 
    I could have done that. But should we walk on glass / egg shells for some are pessimistic inclined? Expectations is a neutral word. And why does this always has to be negative, why cant it lead to positive expectations?  when I on the onset lay out the specifics and give some examples. (A song of nine minutes for example, Desert Sessions with Josh.) There is so much uncharted territories here, yet people think they have seen and heard it all from a band that keep surprising us? We have different setlists, 3+ hour concerts, surprise appearances, and concerts that throws one curve ball after the other. Each album has it dissstinctive taste or flavour. This one will not be different..
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with early retirement or taking it easy. They have earned that right.

As I've often said, I take exception with the following excerpt from a March 2018 communication to fans that provided tremendous excitement at that time...

"Can't Deny Me" from the forthcoming Pearl Jam album.

Forthcoming has specific meaning . In retrospect after the RS story, it was a misleading statement. I beg my fellow PJ fans not to entice me to post from Webster...again.

Now it seems there a sense we are pretending that phrase was never tendered, which is additionally frustrating.

Unfortunately, sometimes fans get lost between trying to be funny and being disrespectful to the musicians we greatly cherish.
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited January 2019
    The statement was a bit too forthcoming (no pun intended, or maybe a little 😉) but maybe this album has been a struggle. (Just a guess here.) Just taking the comments of the last two interviews of Jeff and Mike into account. Maybe the album hasn't find its place yet, theme wise. PJ was always really good in writing good songs, but more importantly, *records*. There was always a theme - motives a red thread  - that bounded songs together. Maybe they thought they had some common ground with CDM, or maybe they wanted to put something out there during one of the most turbulent times of American politics. Whatever the reason they returned to their drawing board and what I keep hearing is: "We all have some good songs, but we are still in limbo." That means to me: they have tunes but not yet the overarching theme. I am not even certain CDM will be on their new album. Maybe it will turn out as a b-side as "Ole". I don't mind either way. But they are probably creating something that reflects our society today. So the statement from CDM was maybe too quick and hasty. But lets not make it too big. That they  already went to their studio a few times and that they will try to go for it for six weeks of jamming and plotting things out, tells me that they want to make something special. The thing with creativity is that it comes to you; you cant force it even if you like to.  (And I know what I am talking about.) And sometimes you really want to. And make rash decisions. Maybe we should place CDM in that light and we can guess what the next musical plans are (instead of putting them metaphorically in an elderly home). 

What we know so far that during an interview (I believe it was with Stone,) they wanted to go more in the direction of Pendulum and Infallible. Which to me sounds promising .
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434

I remember the "Parting Ways"  kerfuffle

We never learned apparently
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited January 2019
    I guess I just don’t view my speculation as “negative”.   If I think they are slowing down and it is a particular member that is the reason, then that is just a thought.  It isn’t positive or negative.  I am not saying anyone is good or bad.   It is their call.  Based on actual events of the last five years and recent interviews I have formed my thoughts on what the current state of the band is.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I also don't feel it's all negative.  It's people discussing the current status of the band, and being a little bummed they aren't as active as they'd like.   It's ok to be bummed.  At least the bummed people get to be bummed together and not alone.  That's a positive :)
  • I used to come this board everyday with all the old names led by SENROCK 12-14 years ago. It was all positive and happy and everyone except a couple people got a long and just talked music. But like every other social media platform it changed to negative and just stupid arguing so you don't many of the old names around anymore. It's to bad but nothing will change. Someone will for sure say something negative about this post even though its 100% true.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    I used to come this board everyday with all the old names led by SENROCK 12-14 years ago. It was all positive and happy and everyone except a couple people got a long and just talked music. But like every other social media platform it changed to negative and just stupid arguing so you don't many of the old names around anymore. It's to bad but nothing will change. Someone will for sure say something negative about this post even though its 100% true.
    I remember SENROCK's doggie thread!
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    I agree with you, but...
    Image result for popcorn gif
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    Agreed with you OP

There are a lot of fans who slam everything they do, then head out on full tours or multiple dates. Its truly baffling
  • on2legs said:
    There are a ton of fair weather fans on this board who read one or two comments in an article and they extrapolate that into a bunch of nonsense about rifts in the band and speculate who’s fault it is that they haven’t recorded an album. 

The truth is is no one has any idea what goes on in the band or why an album hasn’t been finished.  Zero idea.  But yet there’s page after page of people putting their opinion forward as fact. 

Because the band we love so much loves giving us ZERO information...and we all speculate and it's all we have.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    pdalowsky said:
    Agreed with you OP

There are a lot of fans who slam everything they do, then head out on full tours or multiple dates. Its truly baffling

I would say the live shows are where its at for Pearl Jam in the last decade.  In the last 10 years they have only released two albums so there is not much to chat about regarding the music except for some Vault releases.   
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    on2legs said:

Because the band we love so much loves giving us ZERO information...and we all speculate and it's all we have.

Hence when they used a specific word describing the status of the long awaited new album, fans got excited. Now, the let down. Very understandable.

Hopefully it's a temporary setback and we will have good news by the end of the year.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    ...not with Sea, Kat, TenC or other people involved in making this forum work. I am dissapointed in us.

I am the OP of the thread "New album and rumours/ expecations"". I asked on page 1 and several pages later to keep it positive. Is this so hard, really? Is it so hard *not* to mention which songs or albums you hate, than to share some musical dreams or wishes you have? The thread was suppose to be fun; something to look forward to and start a little bit of a buzz about a thing we all wish for. (The new album.)  But as soon as the thread grew , the negativity grew too.

Instead there were comments made that the band is disconnected, in "retirement", the band is in a down fall etc. Etc. Etc.

Why still be a fan if the future is so filled with gloom and doom? I heard these comments since Binaural when their last song was "Parting Ways" . I heard it when they got their own recordd label. This forum is no longer fun to engage or particpate in. The negativity is constant, and the arguments stale and put on repeat for the last 20 years. And you know what: the band is still here. But if I was band member and see some of these comments, my stomach would churn.

This is not a plead to TenClub to open the old thread. This is a plea however to us:  to look in the mirror and ask yourself how you came here, what the love for this band initially was and how *you* and all of us together* can stop the hating and basibg and start some positivity here.

It is always easy to point out what someone didn't do, what the faults or weaknesses of an album or song is/was..

Its so easy.

Its a lot harder to vocalize your dreams, wishes and possibilities. For that means vulnerability. You give something away instead of closing things off with negativity. With things we heard a 1000x. And the funny thing is, comments with negativity always holds the underlining and indirect implication "that this is the hard truth:, the reality".

Etc.

No, it is not the "truth" or "reality". The objective truth is, is that we do not know. That *is* the truth. So stop the gloom and doom. The self pity. Share dreams.

Share your dreams.

Had to get this off my chest. My intention with the OP was positive and not a thread to create this wave of circular negativity. Its not reality. Its nothing than the projections of your own fears and dissapointments and nothing more than that.

Anthonie

so you don't want reality you want people to blow smoke up your ass?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Except no one knows what the reality is.  We should stop trying to pass off speculation & conjecture as truth.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I don't know man....I think we can all identify speculation
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I used to come this board everyday with all the old names led by SENROCK 12-14 years ago. It was all positive and happy and everyone except a couple people got a long and just talked music. But like every other social media platform it changed to negative and just stupid arguing so you don't many of the old names around anymore. It's to bad but nothing will change. Someone will for sure say something negative about this post even though its 100% true.

I wont say anything negative about your post, except it’s simply not true. Though I think more people were more tolerant to dissenting views. Been visiting PJ boards for almost 20 years(sounds absurd doesn’t it?) and there has always been cycles of positivity and negativity.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I still didn't see anything in the other 2 threads that were closed that was over the top. Nothing I saw made me think it should be closed. Are we not supposed to speculate about the forthcoming album?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    Big, bold and free......
    Nuff said.  Things change. 
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Its so easy.

Etc.

Share your dreams.

Anthonie

Thank you so very much for writing this!

I know I have said a few times that I feel like fans "shit" on the band and I hope that comment did not add fuel to the fire, going forward I will not use that term. Before I used to just look at the board and see all the positivity on there and loved it. Just peps talking about a band they love. 

At a time when the world feels like it is on fire and everyone hates each other , I loved coming on here just to read rumors or what people were very into at the time and speculate , speculate seemed to turn into what every other comment section on the internet does , topic starts then starts to go off the rails and then weird attacks on the band or other members of the board.

Albums get scrapped or postponed for a number of reason and the band members want privacy , I am not putting gossip out there but imaging if one of the band members or their family has cancer right now maybe some crazy shit they don't feel like sending the rest of the world and that is holding them up I would hope you would feel bad.

What sucks is this the internet is the internet and of course someone will be negative. Here is to more positive comments in 2019. Maybe some shows , maybe not but I always have the music to listen too if I want.

Peace and Love

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    pdalowsky said:
    Agreed with you OP

I would say the live shows are where its at for Pearl Jam in the last decade.  In the last 10 years they have only released two albums so there is not much to chat about regarding the music except for some Vault releases.   
    Oh they still chat dude and slam every thing the band does, the last few records, and the goods being sold. Yet are the first to buy those goods, raffle them, and then buy the tickets. Its hilarious
  • BRONDOBRONDO Columbus, OH Posts: 397
    I'm disappointed that my local radio station (99.7 the blitz, Columbus Oh.) the last two days is saying that PJ has announced a new album release in 2019. I come on here (where I expect real info) and threads are being closed.
    on2legs said:

Chris.. you're a major positive person here so my comment wasn't directed at you. 

It's unrealistic to expect a band to report to fans about why an album hasn't been finished.  I'm sure they will give us the news when there is news to report.  I'm guessing in a world of social media where celebrities share their every thought and whim, Pearl Jam seems out right ancient in that they rarely publicly comment on things involving the inner workings of the band.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Except no one knows what the reality is.  We should stop trying to pass off speculation & conjecture as truth.
    this.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited January 2019
    on2legs said:

Kay, but it's not the fault of people just giving their own opinions if other people decide to take it as fact. Obviously it's all just opinions - people should understand that, and not let the harmless opinions of others bother them so much.

Me, I'm not feeling negative about the band's lack of activity. I don't really care either way. Yes, I'd love for them to put out an album I really like again... But I don't expect them too. That's fine. A lot of other artists are. I'll happily keep enjoying PJ's pre-2009 work!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    Time to grow up and move on. 1990 was a long time ago.
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:

Kay, but it's not the fault of people just giving their own opinions if other people decide to take it as fact. Obviously it's all just opinions - people should understand that, and not let the harmless opinions of others bother them so much.

Me, I'm not feeling negative about the band's lack of activity. I don't really care either way. Yes, I'd love for them to put out an album I really like again... But I don't expect them too. That's fine. A lot of other artists are. I'll happily keep enjoying PJ's pre-2009 work!
    Eh... it's the same people with the same comments in thread after thread throwing digs and declaring that the band is over.  Maybe it is... and maybe it isn't.  Time will tell.  I'm down with people having an opinion but a lot of it seems like trolling to provoke people or get a reaction from the mods.  Yet, as someone else pointed out, they keep their membership and post here day after day.  If Pearl Jam makes you unhappy they might consider taking a break and stepping away from the boards for awhile.