Options

New album rumors/ expectations

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,947

Gossard says that he, too, is ready to resume focus on recording with Pearl Jam. “We’re going to make a record, and we’re in the middle of it,” the guitarist says. “We’re just going to keep plugging away until we get one done.”

“We’ve gone in, probably, four or five times in the last couple of years, so we have a whole ton of unfinished stuff,” Ament says. “We’re just sort of in a little bit of  limbo. I’m sure everybody’s got a bunch more riffs, and I’m sure Ed’s got a handful of journal lyrics. It’s just going to take us all getting into a room together for six weeks and just knocking something out.”

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    prlprl Posts: 125
    Yikes.  That doesn't sound promising for new music anytime soon.  Jeff sounds a little frustrated with the lack of recording.
    Bring Neil Young in and give us a new Mirror Ball.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,697
    prl said:
    Yikes.  That doesn't sound promising for new music anytime soon.  Jeff sounds a little frustrated with the lack of recording.
    Bring Neil Young in and give us a new Mirror Ball.
    Mirror Ball 2?!? :o  

• Options
    Have other guys in the band write the lyrics if Ed is uninspired. Maybe the next album could have less Ed influence. Probably wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,735
    Last year, the band put out a funky new tune with a swaggering guitar riffs and lyrics about standing up for your rights, “Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

Star.....
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Have other guys in the band write the lyrics if Ed is uninspired. Maybe the next album could have less Ed influence. Probably wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Definitely wouldn't be a bad thing.  I'd like to see someone else (Stone? Jeff?) step up and take the reins. 

I love the idea above for Mirror Ball 2. Ed could  do whatever it is that makes him happy and the band could work with Neil again.  
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    PJNB said:
    Last year, the band put out a funky new tune with a swaggering guitar riffs and lyrics about standing up for your rights, “Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

Star.....
    A star is born...
  • Options
    I think if Can’t Deny Me had been on Lightning Bolt it would have been the best song, so I’m not surprised to see the band thinking it was a star. The song rocks live. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,876
    I kinda figured the album was close to done. Nope.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I’d like the band to sit together in a room and watch Single Video Theory before they record another note. 
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Next album to be called "The One We Just Kept Plugging Away On Until We Got It Done."

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    JimmyV said:
    Next album to be called "The One We Just Kept Plugging Away On Until We Got It Done."
    North Korean Democracy
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,833
    JimmyV said:
    “We Love Agnes”
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,112
    JimmyV said:

Fans need to stop reading into vague messages like "forthcoming new album" ten months ago.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,764
    JimmyV said:

Fans need to stop reading into vague messages like "forthcoming new album" ten months ago.
    Honestly, I don't know why this did not get picked up on but to me, they used the same template to release MYM, I think someone just dropped the ball on putting that release out correctly.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    JimmyV said:

I'm not so sure what is vague about forthcoming new album.  History shows that bands say that when they have an album about to come out.  Perhaps poor word choice by the band.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    Jeff has been saying for a quite a while that he'd like to record more Pearl Jam music. He doesn't have kids, whereas the rest do, so I suppose life gets in the way of these things for the other guys. There's not much new in this article, to be fair.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

We've had plenty of indication that they've spent time in the studio these last few months. Thanks for the unsolicited advice, though.

• Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,796
       Not saying I agree with what I'm about to say I'm simply adding a couple of thoughts.  1) Were these comments a way to get the band back into the studio ASAP?  2) Is Stone and Jeff pouring cold water on the rumour mill shortly before a major announcement?  I know the second one sounds far fetched but Stone and Mike did the same thing back in 2013 with LB. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,112
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

We've had plenty of indication that they've spent time in the studio these last few months. Thanks for the unsolicited advice, though.

Sorry I was being sarcastic at the band's expense

"Forthcoming" has a specific meaning in our language and the band was careless about something very important to the subgroup of people who should be very important to them.

It's something that could have been  easily cleared up afterwards, especially since there was a series of shows after the press release.... also considering how far off the album appears to be now.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    Ed loves his mushy songs.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    I have no doubt the album was in fact "forthcoming" nine months ago... and no PR person would ever tweet a correction type statement suggesting progress is slowing and now the album is up in the air. they would wait for a positive tidbit if info from the band that would generate renewed interest. there just hasn't been one yet and now the interview is out.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    A new album would be great!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Edved82 said:
    Jeff has been saying for a quite a while that he'd like to record more Pearl Jam music. He doesn't have kids, whereas the rest do, so I suppose life gets in the way of these things for the other guys. There's not much new in this article, to be fair.
    I'm sick of hearing some of them have kids... lots of people have lots of kids and work 40-60 hours per week, every week, every year...

Enough with the bullshit about having kids and families 

The band is fat, happy, and gonna slowly milk the cow for the next 30 years like every other legacy nostalgia act. The writing is on the wall

Let me know when their next formulaic and predictable pop-rock album comes out.

I hope you just read that Jeff Ament :)

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    my2hands said:
    Edved82 said:
    I'm sick of hearing some of them have kids... lots of people have lots of kids and work 40-60 hours per week, every week, every year...

Enough with the bullshit about having kids and families 

The band is fat, happy, and gonna slowly milk the cow for the next 30 years like every other legacy nostalgia act. The writing is on the wall

Let me know when their next formulaic and predictable pop-rock album comes out.

I hope you just read that Jeff Ament :)

^^ This is spot on..just the nature of the bizz. Your young, hungry, aggressive. Then you get old and cash it in. Tired of hearing "I'm just happy they're still playing music after all these years". That's like saying I'm happy I'm still married after all these years, but we only hug and have no sex anymore. 
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

That’s interesting. I haven’t read that. Do we have any indication that they’ve all spent time in the studio recently after Eddie’s GCF appearance or after the holidays?? Any more info about shows? All I’m seeing are comments from people like it’s no big deal if the band doesn’t get together again?!? All we have is a ten second video from sunburn Eddie congratulating a hockey players accomplishment and Jeff’s Chris tribute after show RS interview.  No other word from the band. Can’t believe we don’t have any show info yet. 
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,299
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

That’s interesting. I haven’t read that. Do we have any indication that they’ve all spent time in the studio recently after Eddie’s GCF appearance or after the holidays?? Any more info about shows? All I’m seeing are comments from people like it’s no big deal if the band doesn’t get together again?!? All we have is a ten second video from sunburn Eddie congratulating a hockey players accomplishment and Jeff’s Chris tribute after show RS interview.  No other word from the band. Can’t believe we don’t have any show info yet. 
    There is no indication they've been in the studio lately, and literally words from band members mouths that they haven't been 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    If the state of the world we live in can't get Ed to write new music, nothing will tbh. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited January 2019
    I personally believe EV is working on/finishing a solo album before a PJ album comes out... with both coming this year possibly... already has a festival lined up in early march... I could see some spring/summer EV dates followed by PJ late summer/fall dates
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,299
    my2hands said:
    I personally believe EV is working on/finishing a solo album before a PJ album comes out... with both coming this year possibly... already has a festival lined up in early march... I could see some spring/summer EV dates followed by PJ late summer/fall dates
    Why?
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
This discussion has been closed.