John Mayer

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I watched a live concert of John Mayer today and I was blown away. WOW can that guy ever play! He plays with so much passion and feel. I love his bluesy style.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would respect him more if he didn't blatantly copy Stevie Ray Vaughan. He is a fantastic guitarist, but if you listen to SRV b-sides, you've heard John Mayer Live. He even mimics his movements during solos
  • I'm a huge fan, but always have to explain him to people. Listen to "Out of my Mind" on his live CD/DVD "Where The Light Is" and you'll be blown away.

P.S- His signature strat kicks ass, one of the best sounding pick-ups I've heard.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Hurley3038 wrote:
    I'm a huge fan, but always have to explain him to people. Listen to "Out of my Mind" on his live CD/DVD "Where The Light Is" and you'll be blown away.

P.S- His signature strat kicks ass, one of the best sounding pick-ups I've heard.

hmm ive been listening to john mayer more often than usual lately. especially where the light is and i know he cops a fair amount of flack for his pop side, but ive ceased to care about others opinions. i dont need to be explaining him to other people. you get him or you dont.

*runs off to play out of my mind.* :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'll say he has a lot of skill. Talent is just a word, I'm pretty sure he worked hard to be as good as he is on guitar. I especially like his work with the trio.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    I recorded with him in Atlanta in 2000 (just before he got signed), and he could rip then (he went to the
    Berklee College of Music, go figure). He used to go play the open mic at Eddie's Attic in Decatur (acoustic).
    I'm glad to see him playing a lot more electric guitar the past few years - I like that a lot better, though I
    think his first album is really great, and he has a different version of the tune I recorded with him on it.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I got the "Where the Light Is" album a couple of months ago, and I really enjoy it. I often play it on the way to work, when I want to calm my mind.
    I like the acoustic section, the "Bluest Trio" stuff interests me least, and the dreaded "pop" stuff I really dig. The style is light and soothing, but the songwriting, lyrrics and playing are all top notch. "Gravity" is possibly my favourite, but I dig all those songs. I have posted some tab books form him on my Xmas wish-list. I'd like the DVD, but having the album, I'll probbaly pass.
    Beats me why any guitar player would hate Mayer. Maybe cos chicks dig him, and jealousy kicks in, but his playing is tight and serious, and he is putting out music with guitar at the front.
    Knocking him for copping SRV on a PJ forum is a bit daft though, Mike freely admits Ten was crammed with every SRV lick he knew, and big deal about that too.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Mayer doesn't seem to show any humility and that just rubs me the wrong way. He writes "sensitive" songs yet, he seems to be working down the Maxim Top 100 list.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    jcmark611 wrote:
    Mayer doesn't seem to show any humility and that just rubs me the wrong way. He writes "sensitive" songs yet, he seems to be working down the Maxim Top 100 list.

I read a great quote on this once.
    Something about needing to be interested in sex to write great romance. if you are interested in roamnce, you just write slop.
    Shakespeare vs BArbara Cartland, if you like.
    Maybe his "stallion" tendencies are just what produces "sensitive" music. If he were too SNAG, he'd be too soppy.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I got the "Where the Light Is" album a couple of months ago, and I really enjoy it. I often play it on the way to work, when I want to calm my mind.
    I like the acoustic section, the "Bluest Trio" stuff interests me least, and the dreaded "pop" stuff I really dig. The style is light and soothing, but the songwriting, lyrrics and playing are all top notch. "Gravity" is possibly my favourite, but I dig all those songs. I have posted some tab books form him on my Xmas wish-list. I'd like the DVD, but having the album, I'll probbaly pass.
    Beats me why any guitar player would hate Mayer. Maybe cos chicks dig him, and jealousy kicks in, but his playing is tight and serious, and he is putting out music with guitar at the front.
    Knocking him for copping SRV on a PJ forum is a bit daft though, Mike freely admits Ten was crammed with every SRV lick he knew, and big deal about that too.

i thought this too. but with the DVD you can actually watch his hands play. i like to do that. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • my image of john mayer until about 2 months ago was that 'your body is a wonderland' song so i've never given him much time of day.

last month I took a gamble and bought his 'where the light is' cd/dvd and I am officially converted to john mayer, it's been playing non stop at my house and work. Not a massive fan of his singing style but man can he wail on that G-Tar
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    His talent is unquestionable, i just ignore the elevator music he puts out. 'Try' is a damn good blues rock album, it really show cases his talent.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    He's a great player.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • You guys should hear him play Little Wing

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x0abaa

its real nice
  • i really love his new single
    John Mayer - New Light (Premium Content!) 

• I'm a huge John Mayer fan from his earlier stuff. Regarding him copying SRV's movements, I can't bash the guy. I mean, I always imitate those I've looked up to. I think I read an interview where Mike McCready basically said the same thing. We imitate those we grew up listening to.  
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy