New album rumors/ expectations

Comments

• Get_Right said:
    More punch, less Brendan O'Brien sappiness.
    I think the sappiness comes more from Ed than Brendan.  BOB is one of the better rock producers out there.
    I only hear Pearl jam fans hating on him. And then my Bruce Springsteen friends hate on him too.

Love Audioslaves Revalations though. Not that familiar with what else he's done. But I bet a lot of stuff I've listened to.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Wishes:I'd like none of the songs to sound like they belong on an EV solo album. I'd like some funky Stone riffs. I'd like some furious Mike solos. I'd like some chest pounding percussion from Matt. I'd like some cool bass runs from Jeff.  I'd like some in your face rock and roll. Angry lyrics directed at current events a la Riot Act.  New producer (although BOB is probably the only one who can get the guys to work together in a studio at this point).

Expectations: BS/LB continued
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I'm thinking this should be two different threads. One with rumors...one with expectations. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    edited January 2019
    Get_Right said:
    I think the sappiness comes more from Ed than Brendan.  BOB is one of the better rock producers out there.
    Hard too for me to see how anyone could blanket pin their opinion of the sound of the bands music on O'Brien who produced Vs, Vitalogy, No Code and Yield.  Those records run the gamut of ideas and emotions.

Overall what people seem to think is "sappy" (and this is not directed at you HCD, I am just riffing on the topic) in terms of the band and the music they have put out in more recent years, I will tackle Ed specifically.  He is a man in his 50's now, he has two children, he is by whatever metric we do or do not want to use, wealthy, at some point people are either going to have to come to terms that he has a substantially different mindset than when he was 40, and 30 and in his mid 20s or be perpetually disappointed. 

Their seems to be a "fix" that some fans really need to tap into, I would humbly suggest that those fans look else where than Pearl Jam for that.

To quote Obi-Wan Kenboi - "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" 
    Post edited by PB11041 on
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    edited January 2019
    Get_Right said:
    I only hear Pearl jam fans hating on him. And then my Bruce Springsteen friends hate on him too.

Love Audioslaves Revalations though. Not that familiar with what else he's done. But I bet a lot of stuff I've listened to.
    My only dissatisfaction with BOB is that he full force embraced the digital realm and lost some of the analog ambiance on some of his production efforts.  But in terms of getting a great sounding song and record out of a band and collaborating as a producer, he is one of the best.  I like the sound of of Binaural and Riot Act a lot, but in terms of helping piece together the records in my humble opinion Brendan would have likely done a better job and ended up with vastly different Lost Dogs I think.
    Post edited by PB11041 on
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I'd like an album of cool, laid back tunes. Songs like Of The Girl, All or None, Army Reserve, and Pendulum would be where it's at for me. I have no issue with sappy lyrics - I don't think I want "angry Ed" anymore he'd probably be miserable and might end up being an a-hole (or worse). With this said, I could do without the sappy musical compositions....no more cheesy keyboard intros or eighties drumbeats. 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    Maybe its time for something a little darker and heavier with a couple of amazing slower songs.  A short 10 or 11 track album that doesn't reach on too many songs. 

They obviously aren't really a heavy/hard rock style band but it would embody the political environment and state of the union as a whole.  Songs that are driven and have profound meaning more so than fun stuff would be a good deep dive to see if they can re-capture that.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Get that album done this year. Have some solid songs on it like Pendulum, Getaway, Unthought Known, and Force of Nature and I will be happy.  
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,783
    Maybe its time for something a little darker and heavier with a couple of amazing slower songs.  A short 10 or 11 track album that doesn't reach on too many songs. 

They obviously aren't really a heavy/hard rock style band but it would embody the political environment and state of the union as a whole.  Songs that are driven and have profound meaning more so than fun stuff would be a good deep dive to see if they can re-capture that.
    I would LOVE an album that was darker, heavier, harder sounding-- and for the songs on the new album not in that style, more chill / mellow stuff, but still moody and dark sounding.  Would love a combo of songs that sounded like a mix of You Are and Brain of J, and others more like Of The Girl / Indifference / Nothing as it Seems.  Putting a political slant in there is cool too if done right-- I can't say that I am a fan of Can't Deny Me, though.

Expectations:  I think we're going to get some of that ^.  I think the band is due for it.  All of their harder stuff has fallen on the punkier side for over a decade now, and it would be something different to do something a bit heavier.

Rumors:  Unfortunately, haven't heard any!
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    I'm thinking this should be two different threads. One with rumors...one with expectations. 
    Or one with positivity comments and one with pessimism. We all are fans of PJ but if you read this board objectively, you get a different sense. I asked for no negativity. There are ten thousand disgruntled threads out there. But lets mess this one up. *rolling eyes*. If this band quits its due to our self entitlement.
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834

I would LOVE an album that was darker, heavier, harder sounding-- and for the songs on the new album not in that style, more chill / mellow stuff, but still moody and dark sounding.  Would love a combo of songs that sounded like a mix of You Are and Brain of J, and others more like Of The Girl / Indifference / Nothing as it Seems.  Putting a political slant in there is cool too if done right-- I can't say that I am a fan of Can't Deny Me, though.

Expectations:  I think we're going to get some of that ^.  I think the band is due for it.  All of their harder stuff has fallen on the punkier side for over a decade now, and it would be something different to do something a bit heavier.

Rumors:  Unfortunately, haven't heard any!
    Like this...
    Or one with positivity comments and one with pessimism. We all are fans of PJ but if you read this board objectively, you get a different sense. I asked for no negativity. There are ten thousand disgruntled threads out there. But lets mess this one up. *rolling eyes*. If this band quits its due to our self entitlement.
    What? I wasn’t being pessimistic at all. I’m saying one thread strictly for rumors is a lot different than one for rumors AND expectations. Posting them in the same thread gets murky. Some people don’t want to sift through, “oh man, if these 50+ year old guys could belt it out like they did when they were late-20’s!” And I get that. But, yup, just me being pessimistic. *rolling eyes*
  • SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 369
    I think after Can’t Deny Me all I thought about was how this album was really going to have a political undertone. Not saying other songs/albums haven’t, but my thoughts were with this climate this is going to be an angry album.

Now though with Chris’s passing I’ve kind of changed my tune in thinking it may be more mellow and retrospective. Honestly, I’m hoping for this. I think I am already in such a mood about the state of everything that I could use a healing album as opposed to an angry album.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,838
    I’d like songs like Immortality, Sleight of Hand, NaiS, Yellow Moon, Fatal, In My Tree and of course a few rockers thrown in like DTE, In Hiding, Satan’s Bed and Save You. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    Bring back the other guys helping out with lyrics. 
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    JimmyV said:
    The biggest problem I have with Backspacer is that it's 34 minutes long and features what are basically two solo Ed songs. Lightning Bolt felt like a much more fleshed out album. I wouldn't mind something similar to that next time.
    The fact it was 34 minutes long was the best part.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    We’re a passionate bunch OP. That comes across in ‘fortyshades’ on here a lot of the time. If the band hangs it up, it wouldn’t be because of us though. Honestly, that’s a ridiculous notion. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    We’re a passionate bunch OP. That comes across in ‘fortyshades’ on here a lot of the time. If the band hangs it up, it wouldn’t be because of us though. Honestly, that’s a ridiculous notion. 
    Seriously. Critical comments = Pearl Jam breaks up? Dramatic much? Whatever the band produces for the next album I'm sure I will enjoy it in one way or another. I've enjoyed all of their albums for different reasons and I like "sappiness". As the years roll by you have longer view of what has passed by you and what is ahead..
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Seriously. Critical comments = Pearl Jam breaks up? Dramatic much? Whatever the band produces for the next album I'm sure I will enjoy it in one way or another. I've enjoyed all of their albums for different reasons and I like "sappiness". As the years roll by you have longer view of what has passed by you and what is ahead..
    Apparently everything means the band is breaking up.  Song called Parting Ways = breaking up. Song called The End = breaking up.  Jeff hastily runs off stage in Baltimore = breaking up.  No shows in 2017 = breaking up.  Ed has throat problems to start 2018 & thus shorter setlists = breaking up.  Ten Club single discontinued = breaking up.  Fans complain on the forum = breaking up.  We have a penchant for the dramatic! :lol:
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Apparently everything means the band is breaking up.  Song called Parting Ways = breaking up. Song called The End = breaking up.  Jeff hastily runs off stage in Baltimore = breaking up.  No shows in 2017 = breaking up.  Ed has throat problems to start 2018 & thus shorter setlists = breaking up.  Ten Club single discontinued = breaking up.  Fans complain on the forum = breaking up.  We have a penchant for the dramatic! :lol:
    Very fucking true.
  • SteffyLou said:
    I think after Can’t Deny Me all I thought about was how this album was really going to have a political undertone. Not saying other songs/albums haven’t, but my thoughts were with this climate this is going to be an angry album.

Now though with Chris’s passing I’ve kind of changed my tune in thinking it may be more mellow and retrospective. Honestly, I’m hoping for this. I think I am already in such a mood about the state of everything that I could use a healing album as opposed to an angry album.
    Change Chris to Johnny and you’re talking about Avocado. 
    looking to hear of the earth
    Dyer gets it. My man.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I heard that Ferris passed out at 31 flavors last night, so they're definitely breaking up.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765

1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    Stone looked super energized at the I Am the Highway concert Weds. That definitely is a great sign that a key member still loves playing music, and the retirement talk is premature.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    I'd love some more Matt Cameron songs. Lightning Bolt really missed a Cameron vibe, for me. Hopefully Matt brings some more stuff to the table now that a new Soundgarden record (very sadly) is out of the question.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782

Very interesting.  Something tells me we have a long ways to go...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Yikes.  That doesn't sound promising for new music anytime soon.  Jeff sounds a little frustrated with the lack of recording.
This discussion has been closed.