New album rumors/ expectations

fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
edited January 2019 in The Porch
The waiting drives me mad
Cant get new album out of my head"

Just for the hell of I thought I opened a thread re. A) rumors what you may have heard (genuine ones) about the upcoming album or B) what your expectations are.

And please, please no negativity or bashing, Lets keep it light and fun.

My bucket list for the album:

- I hope for an album that symbolosis the world today. Not just a row of nice songs, but an themed album, where the theme is not only included lyrically, but also on the album itself. In the build up,  in the tracklist etc

- in short something disjointed in the way the world ls disjointed today

- something they have never done before, maybe with the Dutch quartet Ed took with him during that solo tour in Europe last  year

- artwork that captures the symbolism of the album (Like Vitalogy and No Code did)

- a song that is 9 minutes long or something (with a blasting guitar solo of Mike)

- thoughtfull and introspective lyrics (that dont always rhyme)

- experimental stuff: some call it fillers, but I would like to consider them songs that interconnects. Make the album a real and a whole album, and capture the feeling of disjointment and aliennation.

- one spoken word song

- one instrumental song

- some good and angry punk songs

- a bonus song

- something completly unexpected; a musical ground/ genre they have never done before

This is of course my bucketlist. Whzt is yours? Which direction would you like them to go? Do not let your imagination be limited. And please, please keep lt fun. It is about giving inspiration instead of bashing newer albums. So what are your expectations?
Post edited by fortyshades on

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Im cool with anything. Lightning Bolt was great imo, so anything they want to put out will be wonderful. I think a 9 minute jam song would be epic like you mention. 

After they put out the career spanning boxset, I thought (and still kind of do think) that albums are no more
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Do you want rumors and/or expectations or no negativity/bashing? 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    A solid album that builds off Can’t Deny Me.   what I’m really hoping for is a Lost Dog II to following the next album.   Of the earth, cold confessions and let it ride need to see the light of day .........unfortunately that may be wishful thinking 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    I want something complex, that takes us time to immerse ourselves in and an album that doesn’t jump out at us too quickly, they’re the ones that you get bored of quickest. Some of the above points OP that you make in your own ‘wishlist’ are very valid and possibilities for sure. Whether they come to fruition, we’ll that’s another story. I know what I want the album to sound and feel like, I can hear it in my head but it’s hard to describe and is far removed from BS and LB. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Im cool with anything. Lightning Bolt was great imo, so anything they want to put out will be wonderful. I think a 9 minute jam song would be epic like you mention. 

After they put out the career spanning boxset, I thought (and still kind of do think) that albums are no more
    I will never quite wrap my head around the lack of interest some had in Lightning Bolt, and moreover the extreme distaste some had for it.  I don't think they are done quite yet.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• simalarionsimalarion Posts: 74
    edited January 2019
    For me their last Albums had a drop in quality with BackSpacer bieng a breath of fresh air since Riot Act, so for me their last really good album was Riot Act.  My favorites are Vitalogy-NoCode-Binaural. I stil not quite know how i feel for Lighnting bolt but i have almost not been listning to it and i Listen to Pearl Jam every day, so that is a bad sign and for me its one of their worst albums, I have similar feeling for the new single "Cant Deny me" (i actually hoped that did not show up on the album, and i hope they do not play in on the concert i am at, i almost get that embarrased feeling when they play it :) ), i dont know what Pearl Jam lost on the way but hey lost something, i just dont get that good feeling for theri newer stuff and "Cant Deny me" was not a good sign for me,  i feel they realyt should spend more time together and jam and make music.

So i am hoping they pick up again where they left BackSpacer. Avocado and Lighting bolt is not terrible albums at all and have their moments but compared to other Pearl Jam albums they are the weakest. I hope the new album is more .... well Pearl Jam .

Post edited by simalarion on
    What did the Romans ever do for us?
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    double album
    danny d
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Selfishly I'd love to have more Matt inspired music on this record - and his backing vox. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Not trying to be negative, but I've got low expectations, just because what the original post describes is literally a perfect album. For me, the last time I feel they hit almost all those points was with Yield. Don't get me wrong though - I've liked a good amount of their stuff since, and I think Binaural was a great album as well, but Yield was probably the last album they made where I feel they were firing on all cylinders, and that I listen to from front to back, and feel completely satisfied. It would be a pleasant surprise for them to harness what their abilities and strengths are today into an experimental and new direction, with a well thought out theme and strong songwriting, so we'll just have to wait and see...but Can't Deny Me was not a very good indicator for me unfortunately. Fingers crossed.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Selfishly I'd love to have more Matt inspired music on this record - and his backing vox. 
    If this were Facebook or Twitter, you'd get yourself a thumbs up or heart for that. I'm hoping for more Matt and Jeff contributions. I feel that is where the band really pushes their limits. Throw in some Stone riff songs and BAM...solid album. One thing that isn't discussed is how what many of us consider the golden years (No Code through Riot Act) had contributions from all the band members with lyrics. I think Ed handling nearly 100% of the lyrics from Pearl Jam-Lightning Bolt has made it a staled sound. 
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877
    I don't have any wishes...I just want new PJ music!
    Still can't understand the information we got to "can't deny me"...from the forthcoming album...
    It's almost a year now!!! :bawling:
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

I expect Lightning Bolt 2.0

And at this stage in their wonderful and expansive career, my hopes are now synchronized with my expectations.

I hope they can release a Lightning Bolt 2.0

Further to the sentiment that they aren't quite done yet, I also suspect Ed is not quite done yet either. Which bolsters my hope that he will set aside EV Solo material for his own release, allowing LB 2.0 to be a more fulfilling arrangement of PJ music.

• dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    i wanna hear raw pearl jam. it there is anything slow i want stuff like release, footsteps, nothingman.. heartfelt belt em out songs. i want them to dig down, channel chris, and early eddie. good vocals and a heavy drum sound... the next "Evenflow" or the next "Why Go".  the pop, main stream stuff can take a break. bring back rock.. they have a deep enough fan base that we arent going anywhere and there isnt much "new" fans coming in and they still sell out everything they do...take an album and go for it
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Good luck with that dtr. It's best to assume straight forward family type rock like that last couple of albums .
  • dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    Red Lukin said:
    Good luck with that dtr. It's best to assume straight forward family type rock like that last couple of albums .
    yea i know, i expect something along the lines of backspacer. radio friendly mainstream "rock" 
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    more from stone and matt pls
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    The biggest problem I have with Backspacer is that it's 34 minutes long and features what are basically two solo Ed songs. Lightning Bolt felt like a much more fleshed out album. I wouldn't mind something similar to that next time.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited January 2019
    NewJPage said:
    Do you want rumors and/or expectations or no negativity/bashing? 
    It can happen. I never understood being fan of something or someon and cannot think of something (possibly) positive about that artist or band to say. Seems very frustraring.
    Post edited by fortyshades on
    I want something complex, that takes us time to immerse ourselves in and an album that doesn’t jump out at us too quickly, they’re the ones that you get bored of quickest. Some of the above points OP that you make in your own ‘wishlist’ are very valid and possibilities for sure. Whether they come to fruition, we’ll that’s another story. I know what I want the album to sound and feel like, I can hear it in my head but it’s hard to describe and is far removed from BS and LB. 
    I completly agree with complexity and a slow burner. An album that first makes your head scratch until it "clicks". And I would like/ wish that the album will be a whole album instead a list of (solid) songs for I-tunes. Songs that interconnect with each other. Vitalogy was like that.
    Red Lukin said:
    We cant dream, cant we? I believe there is a lot of untapped energy in this band and that they can or will surprise us. There is still a lot of music in them. They can throw curveballs. They have done so in the past. Even in their albums that are the least liked, they still covered new innovative sounds (the orchestras in Just Breathe and The end: the weird intro of Pendulum etc). If they set their mind to it, they can create stuff. And if there ever was a time for an album that symbolizes the state of the world today, this is the moment. Ed can still be a social.voice.
    To think outside the box: what would you like them to do that they never have done before. Off the topic: but I would love to see a desert session with PJ, with Josh as a fellow member and producer. How cool would that synergy be?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited January 2019
    It would be weird but definitely would love to hear them tune the guitars down a whole step and get a heavy sound!  

Like me the person above who mentioned Josh homme.
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    It would be weird but definitely would love to hear them tune the guitars down a whole step and get a heavy sound!  

Like me the person above who mentioned Josh homme.
    And another supporter of this.
  • simalarionsimalarion Posts: 74
    edited January 2019
    Josh!! "Turn those lightsout, it's a fucking rock concert! .

That is the attidude i want back, the raw clean Pearl Jam sound and i only think we will get that if the band work more togheter (as i already mentioned in my last post over). I feel the last time they did so was in Riot Act with Gems like "You Are" "Save You" and so on, right there you cant feel that raw Pearl Jam. Binaural with Nothing as it seems is a f**** diamond like Thremor Christ in Vitalogy. But i can understand that a band can`t make Gold over and over (to be honest Pearl Jam fans are very spoiled in that department), but i can hope :)
    Post edited by simalarion on
    You are all asking for something that is impossible.  They are not in the year 1993-1994 anymore.  They are different people with different experiences and different inputs and outputs of those experiences.  

• Brendan O’Brien there last night with Stone and Jeff. Interesting. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • PB11041 said:
    You are all asking for something that is impossible.  They are not in the year 1993-1994 anymore.  They are different people with different experiences and different inputs and outputs of those experiences.  
    Well, i felt they had somthing going in the right direction again on BackSpacer (Got some, Force of Nature, Gonna see my Friend) as i mentioned in the earlier post but LightingBolt was a step back again for me. So it seems to me that its possible to get that sparkle back.
    PB11041 said:
    Well, i felt they had somthing going in the right direction again on BackSpacer (Got some, Force of Nature, Gonna see my Friend) as i mentioned in the earlier post but LightingBolt was a step back again for me. So it seems to me that its possible to get that sparkle back.
    To each their own. Lightning Bolt is one of their better records.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    More punch, less Brendan O'Brien sappiness.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Get_Right said:
    More punch, less Brendan O'Brien sappiness.
    I think the sappiness comes more from Ed than Brendan.  BOB is one of the better rock producers out there.
This discussion has been closed.