Ottawa 2005 for Live On 4 Legs

Hello again! We're prepping for another Live On 4 Legs episode next week, it's our first trip across the border into Canada to cover Ottawa from 2005. If you were at this show and have any great stories or moments that you enjoyed from this night, or even if you've enjoyed this on bootleg, we'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to comment below letting us know what you thought of this show or send us a detailed email at liveon4legspodcast@gmail.com

You guys have been doing an awesome job generating discussion and helping us get a feel for how each episode should be covered. Thanks again, and looking forward to your take on this show.
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    A rain soaked day which led to Wash opener.

My #1 show of shows I attended.  

Spectacular Black tag / improv. 
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Ottawa was by far the best of the seven Canadian shows in 2005. "Wash," my first "In Hiding," the first-ever "Don't Gimme No Lip," the Sleater-Kinney chorus and the "Over the Hills and Far Away" tag following "Ledbetter" still stand out in my memory. (Sleater-Kinney also killed their opening set.)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Probably my favorite show attended.  The first 8 songs smoke.  Great setlist and playing all around.  Canada 2005 was the last truly epic tour imo.  Shows are still fun now,  but it's not the same.  Also loved those old non album tours- setlists got crazy, but they still played enough shows so as not to be too sloppy.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,139
    I recently acquired this entire CAN tour - been meaning to get around to listening to it all!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,763
    I recently acquired this entire CAN tour - been meaning to get around to listening to it all!
    The new mixes on these that came out on Nugs a couple of years ago are just crazy good.  I can't describe them and do them justice they just are near perfect in mix of band and venue ambiance. 

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I'm glad you got them all. Sorry I fell off in getting the rest of them to you. If there's anything you don't have that you want, shoot me a pm
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,498
    NWOntario said:
    Ottawa was by far the best of the seven Canadian shows in 2005. "Wash," my first "In Hiding," the first-ever "Don't Gimme No Lip," the Sleater-Kinney chorus and the "Over the Hills and Far Away" tag following "Ledbetter" still stand out in my memory. (Sleater-Kinney also killed their opening set.)
    I would argue Kitchener and London rank higher than Ottawa. 

I definitely recall the pouring rain in Ottawa and the parking lot being unattended early in the afternoon when we showed up for tickets so we just parked and relaxed inside that foyer where we listened to soundcheck nice and dry. That venue has no personality whatsoever but the band certainly tore it up.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,139
    I'm glad you got them all. Sorry I fell off in getting the rest of them to you. If there's anything you don't have that you want, shoot me a pm
    Will do! I REALLY appreciate you! : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    100 Pacer said:
    NWOntario said:
    I would argue Kitchener and London rank higher than Ottawa. 

I definitely recall the pouring rain in Ottawa and the parking lot being unattended early in the afternoon when we showed up for tickets so we just parked and relaxed inside that foyer where we listened to soundcheck nice and dry. That venue has no personality whatsoever but the band certainly tore it up.
    London was great. Kitchener might've been, but I'd just seen the band play my hometown, Thunder Bay, and was still so dazed by that experience I'm not sure I could've appreciated any show so shortly afterwards (and Thunder Bay was objectively not a great show - but seeing Pearl Jam in the building where I learned how to skate was a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me). 
    As for the Ottawa venue...yeah. It's just the worst. But, having said that, I've seen some great shows there. The best Hip show I saw before 2016 was their 2007 Ottawa show at the Corel Centre and I've seen both Pearl Jam and Springsteen put on some killer concerts there. Also in 2004 I travelled there as a Leafs fan, watched them go down 4-0 and then come back to win 5-4 - which was cool ;)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    Kitchener and London were an outstanding back to back set of shows.  Better than Toronto I thought.   Although Bono coming out was pretty cool.
  • LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 256
    Been to 25 shows and this is #2 for me behind 7-11-03.  The show seemed to go on forever (in a good way).  I remember being basically dead from going way too long into the night after the show the previous night in Montreal, but the setlist and atmosphere woke me up.  In Hiding was the highlight for me.  Extremely underrated show!
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    Kitchener for the win.  Kitchener memorial Auditorium seats just over 6 thousand people, so it is by far the smallest venue I have ever seen the band play.  Eddie was very drunk and very talkative, and I can't say for sure, but I think the band was ready to walk off the stage after Baba O'Riley and Eddie insisted they play one more song.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    Kitchener is in my top 5 out of 58.  That show was smoking from start to finish.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited January 2019
    I really wish I was paying attention to PJ back in 2005. I lived in Southern Ontario at the time with no kids and a steady job that would have allowed me to afford to attend all of those shows. They look/sound amazing.

Someone invent a time machine - please!!!!

Worst part: I went to a Coldplay concert (with my now-wife) in that same year!
    rummy said:
    I really wish I was paying attention to PJ back in 2005. I lived in Southern Ontario at the time with no kids and a steady job that would have allowed me to afford to attend all of those shows. They look/sound amazing.

I definitely wish I went to a couple more these dates and a couple more 2006 in hindsight.  I never expected the touring to become as sparse.  I knew the album making would, it is natural bands only have so much material in the them.  

• Don't sleep on the London show either- perfect mix of great setlist and playing.  Mike's tone was so good this tour and Matt's drums sounded great too.  Wish I did more than just Montreal and Ottawa!
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
    Play porch from Edmonton as loud as you can driving your car.  Stay focused.  It rolls.  

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    PB11041 said:
    Play porch from Edmonton as loud as you can driving your car.  Stay focused.  It rolls.  
    I don’t think I ever listened to Edmonton, thanks for the recommendation!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    PB11041 said:
    rummy said:

I definitely wish I went to a couple more these dates and a couple more 2006 in hindsight.  I never expected the touring to become as sparse.  I knew the album making would, it is natural bands only have so much material in the them.  
    Oddly enough, I started getting back into them back in 2006 - listened to Avocado quite a bit - but never got to one of the two Toronto shows...can't remember why, to be honest, as I recall considering it. Maybe no one to go with????? Fortunately, I've gotten over that and nowadays will attend a show on my own, if needed.

Now if there were only more shows!!!
  • Awesome show!  I think Mike ran onto the floor during Even Flow or Alive.  Sleater-Kinney helped out on Harvest Moon.  One of the best setlists.  Bee Girl, Immortality, Wash, In Hiding, I Got Shit, Brain of J...what more do you need?  Eddie fucked up the lyrics on Jeremy...druing the song, he said "you know it better than I do".  
    2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
    Awesome show!  I think Mike ran onto the floor during Even Flow or Alive.  Sleater-Kinney helped out on Harvest Moon.  One of the best setlists.  Bee Girl, Immortality, Wash, In Hiding, I Got Shit, Brain of J...what more do you need?  Eddie fucked up the lyrics on Jeremy...druing the song, he said "you know it better than I do".  
    Pretty sure it was alive, but it happened.  The thing about Jeremy that doesn't necessarily come off quite like being there on the boot was how incredibly loud that building got picking up the vocals.  The crowds at these shows were freaking amazingly into every night.  

• New episode out now featuring the one and only Patrick Boegel as seen here in this comment section
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
    Don't sleep on the London show either- perfect mix of great setlist and playing.  Mike's tone was so good this tour and Matt's drums sounded great too.  Wish I did more than just Montreal and Ottawa!
    Can confirm, that now listening to London it is a very very good show.  I still have not given every shows in the newer lossless flacs a listen, but of those I have, Edmonton and London are the two I didn't attend that I would like a hottub time machine or delorean for.