Options

The Pearl Jam Chills

tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
I listened to the amazing Riot Act yesterday and was reminded that I still get chills when I hear certain studio tracks. This time it was when I heard Save You and Arc. Probably the most I've ever been affected by Arc. Had my stereo system cranked with the vinyl spinning and it was just this powerful experience. I know I often get chills when listening to certain songs, but was not expecting the Save You reaction. It was just the lyrics and guitars all coming together for me in that moment. The transition from Can't Keep to the intro guitar riff does it big time and then again near the end of the song.

I remember early listens of Given to Fly used to do the same thing when Ed got to the main chorus. It's always a pleasant surprise when I'm listening to the songs that hit home like that.

Anybody have this happen with certain songs all the time or does it vary?
It's a hopeless situation...

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    tbergs said:
    I listened to the amazing Riot Act yesterday and was reminded that I still get chills when I hear certain studio tracks. This time it was when I heard Save You and Arc. Probably the most I've ever been affected by Arc. Had my stereo system cranked with the vinyl spinning and it was just this powerful experience. I know I often get chills when listening to certain songs, but was not expecting the Save You reaction. It was just the lyrics and guitars all coming together for me in that moment. The transition from Can't Keep to the intro guitar riff does it big time and then again near the end of the song.

I remember early listens of Given to Fly used to do the same thing when Ed got to the main chorus. It's always a pleasant surprise when I'm listening to the songs that hit home like that.

There's an amazing version? Where can I find it?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    tbergs said:

Corduroy
    Off he goes
    MFC
    Of the Girl
    Cropduster
    Half Full
    I got Shit

all defining PJ tunes to me...the pinnacle of rock music
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

Ha! Close your eyes, open your ears and give that 2002 album another spin. The sound the band created in that recording is probably the best of all their releases for me. It builds off of the moody and nuanced tones from Binaural while maintaining the solid rock sound they had cultivated on the earlier records.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

Ha! Close your eyes, open your ears and give that 2002 album another spin. The sound the band created in that recording is probably the best of all their releases for me. It builds off of the moody and nuanced tones from Binaural while maintaining the solid rock sound they had cultivated on the earlier records.
    I admit I like RA a lot more than I did 10 years ago, and think it is a good album. But not in their top 5.
    But for your question, I always have and still get chills with Present Tense, RVM, Breath, Release just to name a few.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

I still can't get into it...  I've tried.
  • Options
    Dead Man played loud in the car was one of those surprising sonic atmospheres of dark bliss. I’m Open is probably similar, but Dead Man even better maybe. They should bring that song back next year.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Can't Keep into Save You is among their best album beginnings.

Right up there with Sometimes into Hail, Hail and Brain of J into Faithful.  As much as Yield and No Code are better overall records to me, with a better tracking flow, the beginning to Riot Act is about as good as it gets.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    only long road
  • Options
    Dead Man played loud in the car was one of those surprising sonic atmospheres of dark bliss. I’m Open is probably similar, but Dead Man even better maybe. They should bring that song back next year.
    I think it is a great and dark song that was overshadowed by Bruce's version that was used for the movie. Kind of a mood killer and doesn't fit in to the setlist these days so I doubt we ever see it unless it sneaks in to an encore opener. If I remember right, Ed used to come out before the show and play it solo as a preset. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I think it is a great and dark song that was overshadowed by Bruce's version that was used for the movie. Kind of a mood killer and doesn't fit in to the setlist these days so I doubt we ever see it unless it sneaks in to an encore opener. If I remember right, Ed used to come out before the show and play it solo as a preset. 
    Yeah killer...
    https://youtu.be/J-oIbnHR850
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    tbergs said:

got lucky to see this song at the preset in 2003. it was AMAZING live!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Ice Bowl 
    2000-10-08 East Troy, WI
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

And it's for that reason that I got the Riot Act skeleton silhouettes as my first and (so far) only tattoos! Glad that there's at least some appreciation for the later albums on here.
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 899
    Release gets me...have yet to see it live. The let’s play two version is the last one tp give me chills
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

I really love hearing the opening notes for Immortality.

2003 has yielded some of my favorite versions. Something about Mikes solos and Ed's tone and the overall vibe during that tour. The '95 shows would be my other go-to for intense smoky versions that delight my soul.

• Options
    The version of Indifference on the Atlanta 94 show does this to me.

His octave changes ever so slightly and it makes it a completely different song.
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    only long road
    every time ... 
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Some live recordings that still just make me get electric air shocks...
    first notes of Oceans from 6.18.1992
    first notes of re-worked Jeremy from 6.20.1995
    Corduroy from 11.2.1995
    Wash, any version.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    lukemil33lukemil33 Vandalia, OH Posts: 231
    Corduroy and Release get me every time live. Hearing the first notes of either is always one of those experiences. The studio versions of All or None and Dead Man also do it for me.
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Goosebumps at SEA 1 hearing the transition from Long Road into Release.  It's been years since I heard Release live and it was one I was really wishing for. 
  • Options
    i am totally addicted to seeking out goosebumps. too bad they can't capture and bottle and sell the "drug" that makes it happen. for me it's only music that causes it. it happens randomly for me. usually(but not always) when listening to live shows that i have been at. random songs but usually the prettier ones like black. usually in the car while driving. the great thing is when it happens it's unexpected.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Long Road Chicago 09' - the first time Ed extended that "today" lyric towards the end. I'm not sure he did it like that before, but noticed he did it more from that point forward.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Release “father” part

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    camsjam said:
    Goosebumps at SEA 1 hearing the transition from Long Road into Release.  It's been years since I heard Release live and it was one I was really wishing for. 
    That was indeed fantastic! I was ecstatic...my first time witnessing a performance of Release.
  • Options
    dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    edited January 2019
    release
    yled (esp the ending solo)
    inside job
    betterman
    long road
    footsteps (such a raw, deep song)+
    and the biggest one for me is the piano intro with chloe/crown live. that is a special moment there
    Post edited by dtr0624 on
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • Options
    i am totally addicted to seeking out goosebumps. too bad they can't capture and bottle and sell the "drug" that makes it happen. for me it's only music that causes it. it happens randomly for me. usually(but not always) when listening to live shows that i have been at. random songs but usually the prettier ones like black. usually in the car while driving. the great thing is when it happens it's unexpected.
    Yes! I totally agree and get what you are saying. There are a lot of factors at play. For me, I have to have the music loud enough or be completely immersed so I get the full sensory experience. Always easier to achieve at a live show, but the car or my living room with the volume cranked makes it more likely too. The power of music.
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 729
    in hiding, i am mine, light years, yellow moon, in my tree
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    dtr0624 said:
    release
    yled (esp the ending solo)
    inside job
    betterman
    long road
    footsteps (such a raw, deep song)+
    and the biggest one for me is the piano intro with chloe/crown live. that is a special moment there
    Lots of good choices here. I would add the Imagine in Cornice Immortality intro. 
  • Options
    sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    edited January 2019
    When I saw them at Fenway 1 in 2016, Mike's guitar on Comfortably Numb made my arm hair stand on end. Not sure why, but I hadn't had that reaction at a concert before. 
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 899
    Let’s play two-Release